Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Use Google Maps on Android (ROOT)
12Next >
6272 45 2017-1-19
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
NatasataN
lvl.2
Flight distance : 100574 ft
Canada

Hi, I figured an easy was to get Google Maps instead of HERE maps on Android but requires root.

- Download the Disable Service app from the Play Store.
- Select the DJI GO 4 app in the list of third party apps.
- Remove the checkmark of MapService.

Thats all! Exit the app and start up DJI GO and enjoy Google Maps all you want!

Have fun!

NatasataN
2017-1-19
Use props
tigerdim
lvl.3
Flight distance : 75614 ft
Hong Kong

Thanks for the tip. I confirm it works perfectly!
2017-1-19
Use props
HWKIDD
lvl.3
Flight distance : 22877 ft
United States

I tried it with a Samsung 5 and keep getting  failed to gain root access,    is there something special to do?
2017-1-19
Use props
NatasataN
lvl.2
Canada

HWKIDD Posted at 2017-1-19 16:47
I tried it with a Samsung 5 and keep getting  failed to gain root access,    is there something special to do?

You need to root your phone, you have all the information on how to root your phone on https://www.xda-developers.com/ but will void your warranty to the expense of having full control of your phone. I always root my devices from day 1 ;) Make sure you follow the instructions for your device specifically.
2017-1-19
Use props
MavicUser
lvl.3
Flight distance : 431417 ft
United States

Thanks for the tip!  That works great..  Also works for the normal DJI Go app as well..
2017-1-19
Use props
DRONE-flies-YOU
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1450594 ft
United States

MIND.  BLOWN!!!!
2017-1-19
Use props
DRONE-flies-YOU
lvl.4
United States

LOL I already had that app on my phone too!  Read this, took 10 seconds to do all that, started up DJI GO 4 & "GOOGLE" is right there in the map!!!!
2017-1-19
Use props
DRONE-flies-YOU
lvl.4
United States

1 of my phones gives a map init error toast.  I've got toasts turned off on the other phone & I don't get it.
2017-1-19
Use props
Lukappaseidue
lvl.2
Flight distance : 2537195 ft
  • >>>
Italy

Woww it is working well on my DROID TURBO XT1254
I have received a message error, but soon disappeared and DJI GO4 it woriking with google map .. HAPPY
2017-1-20
Use props
NatasataN
lvl.2
Canada

Its normal to have the map init error. The trick behind this is to make the app believe that HERE maps is unavailable so that it's forced to use Google Maps. Another way I found is to chmod the .here-maps folder and remove the read/write privileges but this method was easyer to share with everyone. I'm very happy to share this as I really hated the ugly outdated  HERE maps too.

So having the map init error is a good sign.
2017-1-20
Use props
DRONE-flies-YOU
lvl.4
United States

NatasataN Posted at 2017-1-20 04:36
Its normal to have the map init error. The trick behind this is to make the app believe that HERE maps is unavailable so that it's forced to use Google Maps. Another way I found is to chmod the .here-maps folder and remove the read/write privileges but this method was easyer to share with everyone. I'm very happy to share this as I really hated the ugly outdated  HERE maps too.

So having the map init error is a good sign.

I see.  Thanks for the research & tinkering.

I can't wait to try this out during a flight (hopefully today).  I'm guessing the map won't follow the Mavic still, since that's complex trigonometry magic to make that happen.  Who wants a GPS map to actually follow you anyway???   
2017-1-20
Use props
fanseb85c303
lvl.3

United States

This doesn't work unless you root your phone or tablet.  I went to a couple sites and seems intimidating at the least.  Is there an easy way to root a Nvidia shield without damaging the tablet.
2017-1-20
Use props
lildevilx
lvl.2
Flight distance : 264101 ft
Canada

fanseb85c303 Posted at 2017-1-20 07:15
This doesn't work unless you root your phone or tablet.  I went to a couple sites and seems intimidating at the least.  Is there an easy way to root a Nvidia shield without damaging the tablet.

honestly rooting is really easy. the only problem is you will lose all your data that you have on your device. So its best to back everything up first. After that just make sure you read all the instruction once before you start. After just follow it and don't skip steps and it'll be easy to deal with Good luck.

Would love to do this, but my daily isn't root as I'm enjoying the OTA updates... sadly DJI go won't work on my rooted note 2 =[
2017-1-20
Use props
DRONE-flies-YOU
lvl.4
United States

Yep, rooting is only tricky on the newer Samsung devices with Knox.  You DO NOT want to break that like a lot of lazy people do.  I still get OTA on all my rooted Samsung phones, as I've kept the stock ROM/kernel (you'll also break Knox there too).
2017-1-20
Use props
dronefoot
lvl.1
Flight distance : 5689 ft
United States

ahh...

This must be why I saw Google Maps instead of Here on an unrooted S7 Edge once when using DJI Go4. Only lasted that session.
The Here service must have crashed, and didn't restart..

I can see it running in services under developer options/running services, it restarts itself right after a close tho.
2017-1-20
Use props
DRONE-flies-YOU
lvl.4
United States

Flew today with this mod.  Everything worked fantastic and the map even follows the Mavic now!!  It is useful, once again.
2017-1-20
Use props
dronefoot
lvl.1
Flight distance : 5689 ft
United States

I figured out how to get it to work on non-rooted S7, will post a thread soon.
2017-1-20
Use props
Danny-B-
lvl.4
Flight distance : 306640 ft
United Kingdom

dronefoot Posted at 2017-1-20 20:50

Very interested in this !
2017-1-21
Use props
lildevilx
lvl.2
Flight distance : 264101 ft
Canada

dronefoot Posted at 2017-1-20 20:50

assuming a way to force there here map service to crash? I've seen it once or twice on my OnePlus 3 as well. can't wait to see it!
EDIT: Nevermind, just found the thread - http://forum.dji.com/thread-81484-1-2.html
2017-1-21
Use props
Lonewolf 8
lvl.1

United States

Worked great on my Galaxy Tab S. My note 4 is not rooted so will be waiting for the directions to disable HERE maps on it. HERE maps are worthless in my area, but google maps are awesome.
2017-1-22
Use props
HWKIDD
lvl.3
Flight distance : 22877 ft
United States

SO  here is a question  when this change has been done,, has anyone checked out  NFZ  in the maps, now,   there is another Thread o the page,   that states that nfz are  in the map app ,  So   My question is if you were able to change the dji program, and force load maps,  are,  nfz showing up, or is the  can not fly over ridden?   
2017-1-26
Use props
Hartsideman
lvl.2
Flight distance : 498855 ft
United Kingdom

Danny-B- Posted at 2017-1-21 18:24
Very interested in this !

likewise :-)   i also would be interested to know if i can use downloaded offline maps in the dji google window , as when in the fells and mountains i do not have a data connection and would love to have the offline maps available.
2017-1-28
Use props
DRONE-flies-YOU
lvl.4
United States

Lonewolf 8 Posted at 2017-1-22 01:26
Worked great on my Galaxy Tab S. My note 4 is not rooted so will be waiting for the directions to disable HERE maps on it. HERE maps are worthless in my area, but google maps are awesome.

Root that Note 4.  You do not need to know what you're doing & it is easy/free.  Just Google it.  

This will enable you to do little things like this thread mentions...  That's all.  
2017-1-28
Use props
DRONE-flies-YOU
lvl.4
United States

HWKIDD Posted at 2017-1-26 13:00
SO  here is a question  when this change has been done,, has anyone checked out  NFZ  in the maps, now,   there is another Thread o the page,   that states that nfz are  in the map app ,  So   My question is if you were able to change the dji program, and force load maps,  are,  nfz showing up, or is the  can not fly over ridden?

NFZ still shows up the same.  Everything is the same, just CLEAR and USABLE.   
2017-1-28
Use props
DRONE-flies-YOU
lvl.4
United States

Hartsideman Posted at 2017-1-28 08:05
likewise :-)   i also would be interested to know if i can use downloaded offline maps in the dji google window , as when in the fells and mountains i do not have a data connection and would love to have the offline maps available.

I just tested this using airplane mode & new location.  Google Maps (the app) doesn't seem to have anything to do with the little map window within DJI GO 4 (as far as caching maps).  

What works is opening GO (don't need Mavic on) and viewing the area.  Be sure to zoom in & out to get different levels of map caching.  I'm not sure how long that stays cached, but it's still there after a reboot of the phone.
2017-1-28
Use props
Hartsideman
lvl.2
Flight distance : 498855 ft
United Kingdom

DRONE-flies-YOU Posted at 2017-1-28 13:29
I just tested this using airplane mode & new location.  Google Maps (the app) doesn't seem to have anything to do with the little map window within DJI GO 4 (as far as caching maps).  

What works is opening GO (don't need Mavic on) and viewing the area.  Be sure to zoom in & out to get different levels of map caching.  I'm not sure how long that stays cached, but it's still there after a reboot of the phone.

thanks for your reply but it was aimed at those who have rooted and gone back to google maps , to see if offline maps in the google app are picked up when go 4 uses the google maps again

Cheers
2017-1-28
Use props
onajourney
lvl.2
Flight distance : 34695 ft
United States

I can't tell you how excited I was to find this fix. Unfortunately, it did not work for me. I rooted my Nvidia K1 disabled MapService and not only did I not have Gooogle Maps but I also lost the home point and AC indicator on the blank map. If I click MapServices back on in Disable Services app, the home point then comes back on the blank here map. Any ideas? One other thing, when I do disable MapServices the map, which is blank says Google but its blank. I checked that the map is cached in Google maps when off line.
2017-2-16
Use props
NatasataN
lvl.2
Canada

onajourney Posted at 2017-2-16 14:51
I can't tell you how excited I was to find this fix. Unfortunately, it did not work for me. I rooted my Nvidia K1 disabled MapService and not only did I not have Gooogle Maps but I also lost the home point and AC indicator on the blank map. If I click MapServices back on in Disable Services app, the home point then comes back on the blank here map. Any ideas? One other thing, when I do disable MapServices the map, which is blank says Google but its blank. I checked that the map is cached in Google maps when off line.

That's odd, it works perfectly on my Galaxy Note 4. You're doing this prior to launching the app right?
2017-2-20
Use props
DRONE-flies-YOU
lvl.4
United States

onajourney Posted at 2017-2-16 14:51

Are you rebooting after disabling the service?  That is suggested.
2017-2-21
Use props
nils.heidorn
lvl.3
Flight distance : 183537 ft
Germany

Thanks, worked flawless on my S7 Edge.
Have no time to fly right now, do preloaded Google Maps work as well ?

Nils
2017-4-20
Use props
NatasataN
lvl.2
Canada

nils.heidorn Posted at 2017-4-20 00:55
Thanks, worked flawless on my S7 Edge.
Have no time to fly right now, do preloaded Google Maps work as well ?

Hi there, I'm very happy this could help you. I'm unsure if the dji app uses the Google maps api or the maps cache from our phone. I would have to test it out. But my guess is that it uses the api straight in the dji go app and dosen't rely on the user to have maps installed. I'll check it out and keep you updated.
2017-4-25
Use props
laceyboy
lvl.3
Flight distance : 159820 ft
United States

This looks easy for those who know how to root their phones.
Rooting android phones is not easy though for those who don't know how to and might brick their phones easily.
2017-4-25
Use props
Qaccerh
New

China

Maybe it's because your phone device is not acceptable , so you are asked to root Android phone , but the Android root program is not difficult ,
2017-10-25
Use props
Qaccerh
New

China

To root Android phone , you need to backup your phone data , but some effective root tools won't damage your phone
2017-10-25
Use props
fans5aee5495
Second Officer
Flight distance : 3772247 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Qaccerh Posted at 2017-10-25 19:27
To root Android phone , you need to backup your phone data , but some effective root tools won't damage your phone

Rooted my Galaxy Note 3, yep got Google maps, however several finance apps refused to work due to Root. Reversed Root got my finances back working. Guess I will have to stick with Here maps.
2017-10-31
Use props
Mavicator
lvl.3
Flight distance : 129583 ft
United Kingdom

Google maps without root  -  https://mavicpilots.com/threads/ ... ed.5758/#post-76256
2017-10-31
Use props
ro_flyer
Second Officer
Flight distance : 7557283 ft
Brazil

I guess soon DJI will deploy an app update preventing this from work... party pooper
2017-10-31
Use props
NatasataN
lvl.2
Canada

ro_flyer Posted at 2017-10-31 17:49
I guess soon DJI will deploy an app update preventing this from work... party pooper

I really hope not. Every time there's an app  update I'm afraid that they prevent us from doing this hack. Here maps is ridiculously outdated for my region an very poor quality.
2017-11-27
Use props
semc
lvl.2
Flight distance : 57372 ft

I have rooted my Samsung s7 and installed the disable service, but on the go4 ver 4.3.0 I have disabled everything I can see regarding maps but it still wont bring google maps up, I have downloaded my maps from google maps offline. any suggestions please
2018-9-10
Use props
hakimsamba
lvl.1

Romania

- Download the Disable Service app from the Play Store.
- Select the DJI GO 4 app in the list of third party apps.
- Remove the checkmark of MapService.
2018-10-8
Use props
12Next >
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules