Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Should I come or should I go get my I2 now?
1204 13 2017-1-20
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
ArtistFirst
lvl.4
Flight distance : 986716 ft
United States

I am sorry for creating a thread for this but I didn't know where to put  it.

I have been having an itchy trigger figure on the I2 for weeks now and I want to know if you guys feel that it's ready for prime time.  Anyone that owns one.

I am getting one, that is FOR SURE, but I don't want to get one only to find out that there will be a hardware change in 4 months.

I know a lot of people got the prototype props and that seems to have been the biggest problem so far which fine, I feel sorry for the people that it happened to but not the end of the world.

Otherwise, and especially people that have bought the ProRes and Uncompressed license? I hate cameras that make you pay licensing fees I must admit.

I am a VFX Sup and know a ton of DP's and am looking to get some extrra work when my show is on hiatus and do you think the quality is good enough for prime theatrical?

I would rather use an I2 vs a DIY octo or something.  Is the I2 with the X5S the answer for some establishing shots or quick inserts for hefty indies?

2017-1-20
Use props
ArtistFirst
lvl.4
United States

Bump.

Am I not getting response because people don't care or because nobody is saying, "yeah, now is the time".

I'm considering placing my order this Monday but wanted to know whether a fully loaded system is going to be useful as a flying alternative instead of DIYs for large budget indies and maybe even for full theatricals.

Ive see a few major players in the rental market here are buying I2a, do you guys that own them think they are ready for prime time in their current incarnation? Please?
2017-1-21
Use props
ArtistFirst
lvl.4
United States

Why am I not getting a response to this?

Would owners of an Inspire 2 in its current incarnation reccomend buying one up now for immediate commercial use on high budget independents, and even possibly some theatricals?

Please, any input on your experiences is appreciated. From the little bit of reading I've done, the prototype props is the only issue that some have had.

If it's competition you're worried about, I've got a Ronin that atatches to two DIY octos and one hex that can hold my Red Mini but I would love a DJI Inspire solution and an wondering if it's up to snuff for pro use (using prores or uncompressed, not h264(5)), please!

DJI even, anyone?
2017-1-21
Use props
RichJ53
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1837356 ft
  • >>>
United States

ArtistFirst Posted at 2017-1-21 17:47
Why am I not getting a response to this?

Would owners of an Inspire 2 in its current incarnation reccomend buying one up now for immediate commercial use on high budget independents, and even possibly some theatricals?

Sorry no one has answered your questions. I do not own the Inspire 2 yet and own many other DJI drones including the Inspire 1. I personally think it is ready and only showing some minor bugs so far. If you do not have the time to wait (which as fast as things change, this could be forever)  Go ahead and jump in..

I will be buying one as soon as the funds allow it, as this is a big investment for me. I am not using it professionally but would like to get the latest technology offered.

Good luck with your decision

All the best
Rich
2017-1-21
Use props
Mike-the-cat
lvl.4
Flight distance : 22488593 ft
  • >>>
Singapore

The Inspire 2 is a great craft. The props are production standard and you are only hearing from nit pickers and persons who don't know how to solve minor issues.
2017-1-21
Use props
Mike-the-cat
lvl.4
Flight distance : 22488593 ft
  • >>>
Singapore

Here are some other positive comments:
Set up - Up and running in 1 minute from a boxed configuration. Can you do that with an Octo?
1. Aircraft control: Very steady, appreciate smart features like spotlight and obstacle avoidance RTH, front facing camera is not a gimmick, it really makes shooting trailing objects easier.
2. Range: no issues, as good as any of the new Gen craft (Mavic and P4P), nice control over signal transmission quality
3. Image quality: honestly, at 4K, unless you have a large screen 55in and pixel peep, not much gain over the X5R. Have not tried 5K.
4. Data handling: Have not used the SSD / ProRes yet because I have not been able to secure a SSD yet. However, in theory huge gain in convenience. The license fee is NOT in DJI's court. I suspect that the I2 model of image processing evolved as the X5R business took off. With this model, you can own a redundant X5S at a lower cost than a redundant X5R. Of course DJI gets you to prepay for that convenience. This pricing model, if anything is loaded to benefit pros as opposed to hobbyists. A crash with gimbal arm and 1 motor destruction and no lens or sensor damage costs USD 200 to repair. Think your Red repair will cost the same?

2017-1-21
Use props
ArtistFirst
lvl.4
United States

Mike-the-cat Posted at 2017-1-21 19:29
The Inspire 2 is a great craft. The props are production standard and you are only hearing from nit pickers and persons who don't know how to solve minor issues.

No, there is an actual issue where a few people got the prototype props shipped with their I2 and can't remove them. There is a thread about it too.

Also, someone has had a problem with odd horizontal lines but all in all, I am feeling pretty safe that it is doing what it needs to do.  I have a gig that will be for about a 1/4 of it that wold begin the middle of the February so I am "buying for the job" as they say. I usually have a rule if I'm spending more than a few thousand that it must pay for half but my gear lust for this is making me break my own rules.

Thanks to @Richj53 (is it linking) for you advice. I am amazed that someone would get an I2 for fun alone. I wish I had that kind of money.  For fun, I actually prefer to fly my Phantom. Mainly because I can do more cool things with it that aren't for money and I don't have to worry because if something happens, I don't lose my shirt and I honestly just have more fun flying the smaller quads. In fact, once I get my Mavic, I probably will retire my P4.

I am excited about the uncompressed and ProRes with the X5S.  I had someone send me some of their footage (a friend of mine from the UK) and I was able to make it look as good as my Dragon and if I can convince people around here to let me use it, without matching their cameras, I can make a pretty good living this summer while on hiatus.  Even if it's just for inserts and expositional stuff, I'll be good.  It's also great for commercial gigs.  It's a matter of convincing producers and directors that this is the DJI package that we've been waiting for that is not a S1000 with a Ronin and a 50k camera attached.  This is the bird I hope I've been waiting for.
2017-1-22
Use props
ArtistFirst
lvl.4
United States

Mike-the-cat Posted at 2017-1-21 19:41
Here are some other positive comments:
Set up - Up and running in 1 minute from a boxed configuration. Can you do that with an Octo?
1. Aircraft control: Very steady, appreciate smart features like spotlight and obstacle avoidance RTH, front facing camera is not a gimmick, it really makes shooting trailing objects easier.

Yeah, I absolutely agree that if all these things hold up and the ProRes or uncompressed is even almost on par with the DIY stuff, then I'll be in seventh heaven.  All the things you listed, and a bunch more are the reasons that I want it to be what I hope it is.

I need to go to bed or I'd list the other things that I am hoping for but I am hoping that the I2 is a game changer and I am wiling to get the blown out version but I need to be sure that I won't lose my shirt on it, mainly because I can't. Gotta spend money to make money right?  :-X
2017-1-22
Use props
perfectpercepti
lvl.1

United States

I absolutely love my Inspire 2..I had the red prop issue (documented in another thread) but am now back up in the air. Besides that issue which is now resolved, this drone is rock solid. Got mine from Advexure in Los Angeles and have really enjoyed working with them. I did my research prior to pulling the trigger and read about the nightmares when purchasing direct from DJI and that was when I found Advexure. I can share that my experience thus far with the Inspire 2 has been great and can also give some props to Advexure for their help with my many questions.
2017-1-22
Use props
PictoGraphica
lvl.4
Flight distance : 145351 ft
United States

Part of my reasoning in becoming an early adopter was threatened tariffs by the new administration. I took them seriously.
2017-1-22
Use props
ArtistFirst
lvl.4
United States

perfectpercepti Posted at 2017-1-22 11:03
I absolutely love my Inspire 2..I had the red prop issue (documented in another thread) but am now back up in the air. Besides that issue which is now resolved, this drone is rock solid. Got mine from Advexure in Los Angeles and have really enjoyed working with them. I did my research prior to pulling the trigger and read about the nightmares when purchasing direct from DJI and that was when I found Advexure. I can share that my experience thus far with the Inspire 2 has been great and can also give some props to Advexure for their help with my many questions.

I'm in LA. Maybe I'll have to check them out now that Drone's Plus here has shut down.
2017-1-23
Use props
fans82a02d84
lvl.4
Flight distance : 8049101 ft
  • >>>
United States

I got my Inspire 2 last week while traveling in Utah.  Pictureline had it in stock so I pulled the trigger.  Pictureline is a camera shop vs drone shop. They were very helpful in fulfilling my order and dealing with my time frame constraints as I was out watching my daughters ski race, after hours pick-up etc.  Nice deal in Utah, no tax on commercial photography gear if you're in the business etc. No tax, no shipping in this case is worth checking it with the airlines back to Mpls.

Anyway, I've only got about 2 hours or so of flight time on the Inspire 2.  The smile is still on, I don't have the SSD yet so I can't tell you about that level of camera performance.  I will say that the current footage I'm getting with the SD card is better than the X5 SD card footage.  So far, flight stability is amazing! The bird itself is much heavier, feels way more solid, tracking seems smoother and more predictable.  I keep telling myself to not be fooled by it's secure feeling and keep my eyes open for any flukes, etc.  So far, I've only had one issue which was that the landing gear for some reason didn't want to transform into landing mode once.  I kept trying to lower it manually as I never use the auto land mode.  It would not lower, I opted to do a hand grab vs landing on my camera, duh!  The motor shut down fine after the hand grab, I then detached the camera to allow setting the rig down in travel mode and at that point the landing gear lowered.  That happened my 3rd flight? I've flown 3 times sense that happened and zero issues.

That's about it for my testing do date.  Weather has been extremely overcast in Mpls.  haven't had much chance to try the many features.  Much more to come.  
2017-1-23
Use props
RichJ53
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1837356 ft
  • >>>
United States

fans82a02d84 Posted at 2017-1-23 15:01
I got my Inspire 2 last week while traveling in Utah.  Pictureline had it in stock so I pulled the trigger.  Pictureline is a camera shop vs drone shop. They were very helpful in fulfilling my order and dealing with my time frame constraints as I was out watching my daughters ski race, after hours pick-up etc.  Nice deal in Utah, no tax on commercial photography gear if you're in the business etc. No tax, no shipping in this case is worth checking it with the airlines back to Mpls.

Anyway, I've only got about 2 hours or so of flight time on the Inspire 2.  The smile is still on, I don't have the SSD yet so I can't tell you about that level of camera performance.  I will say that the current footage I'm getting with the SD card is better than the X5 SD card footage.  So far, flight stability is amazing! The bird itself is much heavier, feels way more solid, tracking seems smoother and more predictable.  I keep telling myself to not be fooled by it's secure feeling and keep my eyes open for any flukes, etc.  So far, I've only had one issue which was that the landing gear for some reason didn't want to transform into landing mode once.  I kept trying to lower it manually as I never use the auto land mode.  It would not lower, I opted to do a hand grab vs landing on my camera, duh!  The motor shut down fine after the hand grab, I then detached the camera to allow setting the rig down in travel mode and at that point the landing gear lowered.  That happened my 3rd flight? I've flown 3 times sense that happened and zero issues.

Thanks for sharing your story! I am waiting for the money to buy my new Inspire 2 and just enjoying the I1 that I own (& other DJI birds). I hope the landing gear issue is figured out... I would hate to break the X5S camera

Rich
2017-1-23
Use props
ArtistFirst
lvl.4
United States

fans82a02d84 Posted at 2017-1-23 15:01

Hey there.

Just curious if that has happened again.

It's the one thing about the retractable landing gear that always keeps me in fear.

I am finally about to get mine and I am quite excited

I got a gig for March that will pay for about 1/6th of it.

Has anyone paid for their's with gigs yet?

If I can pay for half of it with gigs by summer, I'd be more than happy but I'm getting mine fully decked.
2017-2-17
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules