Damaged battery? Asked DJI for opinion.
1963 22 2017-1-20
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Stinky711
lvl.2
United States

So when I opened up the box containing my new P4 I lifted the AC out of the box and the battery slid out and hit the tile floor from about 4 ft. It was a good whack!
  I most likely won't use it as it's just not worth the chance. I have read that care should be taken not to drop these batteries as they are damaged easily.
  The reason I even bothered posting this is that when I called DJI tech support and explained what happened I was told that if I connect it to the charger and it accepts a full charge it is safe to use. So now I wonder if I am being a nervous Nellie by grounding this battery or should I send it skyward? I saw a very through chart containing battery cell performance, where do I find this?
2017-1-20
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 9991457 ft
  • >>>
Australia

Fire up the Phantom and connect it to the app.
Then go to settings and you'll find a whole section on battery data
2017-1-20
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Flight distance : 165105 ft
Canada

Here's decent write up on the RC drone battery.

http://www.dronethusiast.com/ultimate-drone-battery-care/

RedHotPoker
2017-1-20
Use props
DJI-Jamie
DJI team
Flight distance : 112405 ft
United States

Could you  happen to provide a picture of how the battery looks? The Go app does have a battery section where you can look at its cell status.
2017-1-20
Use props
Stinky711
lvl.2
United States

DJI-Jamie Posted at 2017-1-20 17:38
Could you  happen to provide a picture of how the battery looks? The Go app does have a battery section where you can look at its cell status.

Jamie,
      The battery looks perfect, no visible damage at all. The Go app shows nothing unusual. Thanks

2017-1-20
Use props
DJI-Jamie
DJI team
United States

Stinky711 Posted at 2017-1-20 17:45
Jamie,
      The battery looks perfect, no visible damage at all. The Go app shows nothing unusual. Thanks

If the cells look fine and there isn't any signs of physical damage, then you probably lucked out. I'm assuming that you've already tried charging it like Support mentioned, right?
2017-1-20
Use props
Stinky711
lvl.2
United States

DJI-Jamie Posted at 2017-1-20 20:05
If the cells look fine and there isn't any signs of physical damage, then you probably lucked out. I'm assuming that you've already tried charging it like Support mentioned, right?

Yes I charged it and then used it to check settings and just get familiar with dji go4, when i checked here is a screen shot. Is the voltage difference a problem?
Something else I noticed, in dji go4 when I go to about firmware version is blank.

Screenshot_2017-01-20-23-21-48-1.jpg
2017-1-20
Use props
DJI-Jamie
DJI team
United States

Stinky711 Posted at 2017-1-20 20:42
Yes I charged it and then used it to check settings and just get familiar with dji go4, when i checked here is a screen shot. Is the voltage difference a problem?
Something else I noticed, in dji go4 when I go to about firmware version is blank.

It seems like I'm having a hard time seeing the picture, could you happen to repost?
2017-1-20
Use props
Stinky711
lvl.2
United States

DJI-Jamie Posted at 2017-1-20 21:22
It seems like I'm having a hard time seeing the picture, could you happen to repost?

Voltage

Voltage
2017-1-20
Use props
Stinky711
lvl.2
United States

DJI-Jamie Posted at 2017-1-20 21:22

4cells are  4.14   4.11   4.13   4.13  remaining power 4482mah  total cap 5336 mah
2017-1-20
Use props
DJI-Jamie
DJI team
United States

Stinky711 Posted at 2017-1-20 21:33
4cells are  4.14   4.11   4.13   4.13  remaining power 4482mah  total cap 5336 mah

It seems fine reading wise for a battery that may have been sitting on for a bit. You should be good to go.
2017-1-20
Use props
Stinky711
lvl.2
United States

DJI-Jamie Posted at 2017-1-20 21:38
It seems fine reading wise for a battery that may have been sitting on for a bit. You should be good to go.

Thanks Jamie,
                     Yes it was on for about 10-15 minutes while I started motors and checked settings.
What about the firmware version not showing in app, any idea? dji go4 running on a samsung note4
2017-1-20
Use props
DJI-Jamie
DJI team
United States

Stinky711 Posted at 2017-1-20 21:55
Thanks Jamie,
                     Yes it was on for about 10-15 minutes while I started motors and checked settings.
What about the firmware version not showing in app, any idea? dji go4 running on a samsung note4

Is that for the AC, RC or both? Do you have a solid internet connection?
2017-1-20
Use props
Stinky711
lvl.2
United States

DJI-Jamie Posted at 2017-1-20 22:01
Is that for the AC, RC or both? Do you have a solid internet connection?

The firmware for the AC is blank. Yes great internet, but the firmware on the AC should show in the app even with no internet I think.  I connected the AC to DJI Assistant 2 and is see the current firmware.

Thanks
2017-1-20
Use props
DJI-Jamie
DJI team
United States

Stinky711 Posted at 2017-1-20 22:38
The firmware for the AC is blank. Yes great internet, but the firmware on the AC should show in the app even with no internet I think.  I connected the AC to DJI Assistant 2 and is see the current firmware.

Thanks

There can be server issues when it comes to the Go app and when the firmware is visible in the About section. How long has it been like this, for a better reference.
2017-1-20
Use props
Stinky711
lvl.2
United States

DJI-Jamie Posted at 2017-1-20 22:44
There can be server issues when it comes to the Go app and when the firmware is visible in the About section. How long has it been like this, for a better reference.

Just a few days old, remember I just opened the box and dropped the battery.
Maybe I will refresh it in dji Assistant 2 or update
2017-1-20
Use props
DJI-Jamie
DJI team
United States

Stinky711 Posted at 2017-1-20 23:07
Just a few days old, remember I just opened the box and dropped the battery.
Maybe I will refresh it in dji Assistant 2 or update

That's right, sorry about that. I wasn't quite sure, though whether you were only checking out the app itself for more than a day.

If the firmware version hasn't shown up by now, you can try refreshing the update via the Assistant 2 as you mentioned or restore the unit to factory settings (will not affect the firmware version) in the same program as well. In addition, you can syncing the one flight log you made when you armed the motors to the cloud in order to get the Go app to make it connect to the server and see if the firmware version populates.
2017-1-23
Use props
Stinky711
lvl.2
United States

DJI-Jamie Posted at 2017-1-23 13:10
That's right, sorry about that. I wasn't quite sure, though whether you were only checking out the app itself for more than a day.

If the firmware version hasn't shown up by now, you can try refreshing the update via the Assistant 2 as you mentioned or restore the unit to factory settings (will not affect the firmware version) in the same program as well. In addition, you can syncing the one flight log you made when you armed the motors to the cloud in order to get the Go app to make it connect to the server and see if the firmware version populates.

Hi Jamie,
         I didn't think to mention that I was checking with a Galaxy Note4 ( android), soon after I decided to update all firmware including batteries so I connected my ipad pro and everything is fine, versions for ac, remote and app all show!  
                As always, Thank You

2017-1-23
Use props
DJI-Jamie
DJI team
United States

Stinky711 Posted at 2017-1-23 16:33
Hi Jamie,
         I didn't think to mention that I was checking with a Galaxy Note4 ( android), soon after I decided to update all firmware including batteries so I connected my ipad pro and everything is fine, versions for ac, remote and app all show!  
                As always, Thank You

Good to hear you were able to get them to appear with the iPad. Just to be clear, they still have not shown up on the Note 4, right?
2017-1-23
Use props
Stinky711
lvl.2
United States

DJI-Jamie Posted at 2017-1-23 22:46
Good to hear you were able to get them to appear with the iPad. Just to be clear, they still have not shown up on the Note 4, right?

Hi Jamie,
          I just checked and at first still no AC version displayed then I force stopped Dji go4 and when I restarted it firmware version shows.  Dji go would not recognize the P4 but Dji go4 works.
Keep in mind the only reason I connected the Note4 was to check firmware, from now on I will just use my flight dedicated ipad pro.   
                Thanks for you help
2017-1-24
Use props
DJI-Jamie
DJI team
United States

Stinky711 Posted at 2017-1-24 16:03
Hi Jamie,
          I just checked and at first still no AC version displayed then I force stopped Dji go4 and when I restarted it firmware version shows.  Dji go would not recognize the P4 but Dji go4 works.
Keep in mind the only reason I connected the Note4 was to check firmware, from now on I will just use my flight dedicated ipad pro.   

I've noticed with my S6 Edge that if you have both apps and connect to one of them for the first time, the phone will dedicate that app to the device whenever it connects. So if you've installed the Go 4 app and then choose that app to open whenever you connect it to the RC, the regular Go app will no longer try to connect to it properly.

Glad all i well, though, happy flying!
2017-1-24
Use props
Stinky711
lvl.2
United States

DJI-Jamie Posted at 2017-1-24 16:14
I've noticed with my S6 Edge that if you have both apps and connect to one of them for the first time, the phone will dedicate that app to the device whenever it connects. So if you've installed the Go 4 app and then choose that app to open whenever you connect it to the RC, the regular Go app will no longer try to connect to it properly.

Glad all i well, though, happy flying!

That's the same way it is with my Note4!     Because I fly a P3Pro and a P4 soon maybe a P4P having two apps can be a challenge when not working!

2017-1-24
Use props
DJI-Jamie
DJI team
United States

Stinky711 Posted at 2017-1-24 16:58
That's the same way it is with my Note4!     Because I fly a P3Pro and a P4 soon maybe a P4P having two apps can be a challenge when not working!

Your P3Pro shouldn't be affected, as long as you chose the Go app at initial start up. From what I've noticed, once you connect the RC to the device, the app that you've assigned often pops up on its own (at least with my current phone settings) so I don't have to really think about it. Since the P4 and the Mavic were introduced to the Go app before they separated to the Go 4 app, those are the only ones you would have to remember that you can't back track to the original Go app with without uninstalling the Go 4 first and vice versa..

If you happen to get a P4P, you may be more inclined to actively use the Go 4 app more often. Right now it's just going to take a little time to adjust. I don't believe iOS would have this same quirk, I just happened to notice this weird Android designation myself after updating the phone itself.
2017-1-24
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules