Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
3.1.2 is no good. Maps way off.
2668 36 2017-1-21
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Idiots Idiots
Banned

United States

Tip: the author has been banned or deleted automatically shield
2017-1-21
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 9991457 ft
  • >>>
Australia

Yes, the quality of Here Maps is inferior to Google Maps but it's most unlikely this would contribute to your GPS location being off.
It has to be due to something else and that's most likely to be your phone/tablet and how it came up with your location.
2017-1-21
Use props
Idiots Idiots
Banned

United States

2017-1-21
Use props
MsTron
lvl.1

Spain

Please chek it, my position with 3.1.1. Really it is my position
Screenshot_2017-01-22-03-33-42.jpg

With 3.1.2 my position is fake
Screenshot_20170122-035324.jpg
With another app (for example google maps) in same time and same device, my position are correct.
2017-1-21
Use props
fansa58c36a8
lvl.2

United States

Since 3,1,2, mine is way off also. I'm using an LG G4 phone.
2017-1-21
Use props
pjhudson
lvl.2
Flight distance : 4820 ft
United States

how did you get 3.0.1?
2017-1-21
Use props
maarten08
lvl.1
Flight distance : 10837 ft

Belgium

Mine is off too by 1.2km. Location is fine on 3.1.1. Something has to be broken on 3.1.2
2017-1-22
Use props
user3b6acfd98a
lvl.2
Flight distance : 1592057 ft
Poland

maarten08 Posted at 2017-1-22 02:08
Mine is off too by 1.2km. Location is fine on 3.1.1. Something has to be broken on 3.1.2

The same problem! DJI GO 3.1.2, Samsung S5 and S7. Home point OK,  RTH OK, but "my position" more than 1km far away!
DJI - first Here maps, now problem with base station posiotion - what will be next? Why are you going to lost your clients?
2017-1-22
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Australia

What position are you folks complaining about - the Phantom's or the location shown for you and the controller?
The Phantom has a good GPS unit and if it's flying it will have good sat reception and the position it reports should be good.
BUT ... if you are talking about the indicated position for your phone/tablet, that doesn't come from a good GPS fix.
First your phone/tablet is on the ground and its view of the sky may be partially blocked.
Mobile phones can use cell towers to derive a position of varying inaccuracy and/or use wifi to approximate position.

If you are getting a dodgy position for your phone/tablet, that is going to plot to a bad location on the map despite the map and the app being perfect.
If there was a problem with app causing bad locations, everyone would have the same issue - not just some users.
I'm very dubious about Here Maps giving bad locations and hundreds of thousands of people on Facebook complaining about this.
So I looked at the location given in post #4 above on Google Earth and when I plot the location for that point into Here Maps ... guess where the point is.
It's not where #4 was getting a bad location - it's exactly the same point as shown on Google Earth.
There is no evidence to suggest the mapping in Here Maps is inaccurate.

The complaints in this thread suggesting that the app somehow gives bad locations are completely wrong.
The complaints that Here Maps gives bad locations are completely wrong.
And the hundreds of thousands of complainers on Facebook probably can't even tie their shoelaces and aren't worth listening to.
If you want to complain, check your facts and have an understanding of what you are complaining about.
Here are the plots from GE and Here Maps for the Spanish  site.

Google Earth

Google Earth

Here Maps

Here Maps
2017-1-22
Use props
maarten08
lvl.1

Belgium

Labroides Posted at 2017-1-22 04:25
What position are you folks complaining about - the Phantom's or the location shown for you and the controller?
The Phantom has a good GPS unit and if it's flying it will have good sat reception and the position it reports should be good.
BUT ... if you are talking about the indicated position for your phone/tablet, that doesn't come from a good GPS fix.

It's the device's (smartphone) position that is off. Apart from all your insinuations, how do you explain that my location is fine on 3.1.1, but is far off on 3.1.2? Both versions use HERE maps, but location on 3.1.1 and 3.1.2 differs for 1.2km for no apparent reason.

On 3.1.1 the distance to my drone shows correct, on 3.1.2 it always shows 1.2km on start-up. This can't be caused by my smartphone as my location in all other apps is correct. Somehow something doesn't work in 3.1.2, maybe it's tied so some types of phones, I don't know.
2017-1-22
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Australia

maarten08 Posted at 2017-1-22 05:26
It's the device's (smartphone) position that is off. Apart from all your insinuations, how do you explain that my location is fine on 3.1.1, but is far off on 3.1.2? Both versions use HERE maps, but location on 3.1.1 and 3.1.2 differs for 1.2km for no apparent reason.

On 3.1.1 the distance to my drone shows correct, on 3.1.2 it always shows 1.2km on start-up. This can't be caused by my smartphone as my location in all other apps is correct. Somehow something doesn't work in 3.1.2, maybe it's tied so some types of phones, I don't know.

All my checking shows that Here Maps is accurate (old imagery, bad detail, but accurate)
It's the position being plotted to the map that is not accurate.

Your explanation is a little confusing.
If you give more details, perhaps flight data or a screenshot or two and I might be able to make sense of it. a screenshot
2017-1-22
Use props
MsTron
lvl.1

Spain

The problem not is the base map HERE or GOOGLE MAPS.
The problema is the 3.1.2 app, they put the gps position where they like....
I am uploading a video with the evidence. In a few minutes i post the url.
2017-1-22
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Australia

MsTron Posted at 2017-1-22 06:55
The problem not is the base map HERE or GOOGLE MAPS.
The problema is the 3.1.2 app, they put the gps position where they like....
I am uploading a video with the evidence. In a few minutes i post the url.

If you are talking about the home point rather than the position of the Phantom, perhaps you have the jumping home point problem from this thread:  http://forum.dji.com/thread-81594-1-1.html   ?
Do you also have the Max Distance limit enabled?
2017-1-22
Use props
maarten08
lvl.1

Belgium

Labroides Posted at 2017-1-22 06:10
All my checking shows that Here Maps is accurate (old imagery, bad detail, but accurate)
It's the position being plotted to the map that is not accurate.

I agree that HERE maps is accurate enough, so the problem is not HERE maps not being accurate. I downloaded the HERE app on my nexus 6p and it shows my device in the right location.
You'll find 2 screenshots attached. These are taken on the same device, on the same location. First on 3.1.1, then I upgraded to 3.1.2 and took a new screenshot (2 mins in between). You'll see that my device location on 3.1.2 is different from my device location on 3.1.1 and I don't know why as I haven't moved 1 meter.

Screenshot_20170122-152631.png
Screenshot_20170122-152846.png
2017-1-22
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Australia

maarten08 Posted at 2017-1-22 07:49
I agree that HERE maps is accurate enough, so the problem is not HERE maps not being accurate. I downloaded the HERE app on my nexus 6p and it shows my device in the right location.
You'll find 2 screenshots attached. These are taken on the same device, on the same location. First on 3.1.1, then I upgraded to 3.1.2 and took a new screenshot (2 mins in between). You'll see that my device location on 3.1.2 is different from my device location on 3.1.1 and I don't know why as I haven't moved 1 meter.

WIthout seeing flight data from the app, I can't be certain but today there have been a couple of reports of "jumping homepoint" and maybe that's what you are looking at?
See more about it here:  http://forum.dji.com/thread-81594-1-1.html
2017-1-22
Use props
MsTron
lvl.1

Spain

Please check it :
You can see the big difference in the GPS FIX POSITION between 3.1.1 and 3.1.2.
2017-1-22
Use props
digdat
lvl.4
Flight distance : 11896378 ft
United States

2017-1-22
Use props
fansa58c36a8
lvl.2

United States

When I run any of the older versions of DJI Go , I did clean installs of each of these versions (2.9.1, 3.0.0, 3.0.1, 3.1.0. 3.1.1) By clean I mean ,I deleted the dji and dji pilot folders that uninstall leaves behind.My GPS to my phone (LG G4) is accurate enough to tell if I'm in the bathroom or kitchen of my house with all the previous versions that I tried.
No matter if it's Google Maps or Here Maps.It's spot on.Every time!
With 3.1.2 It's off by half a mile.Every time! It may very well be affecting only certain phones.I don't know.That's why I listed the brand and model of my device.I know that I'm not imagining it. I just figured after seeing other people with the same problem, I would share my experience and that maybe we could single out what's causing it.
If you are not having the problem, that is fine.  But just because it's not happening to you doesn't mean it's not happening to someone else. Especially with android and the variety of hardware it runs on.
I don't really give a crap either way.I'll just use 3.1.1 and go on.Just trying to inform people so they don't have a fly away or something.I don't take my Phantom up unless I know it 100% able to do so.

Also for the guy that asked where you get older versions.I get mine here
2017-1-22
Use props
fansa58c36a8
lvl.2

United States

Just Did some more testing after reading another thread on this forum.It seems that the problem I am seeing is from the phone not being connected to the RC. When connected it works fine.
All I know is this doesn't happen in any other version.Either way I believe this is the true culprit.
2017-1-22
Use props
fans1a97f39f
lvl.2
Flight distance : 312195 ft
United Kingdom

Same here 3.12 with lg g5.
2017-1-23
Use props
50mmtorres
lvl.1
Flight distance : 39216 ft
United States

I haven't flew my bird ina few days so I just turned it on to view the battery statues and saw this. I'm assuming this is what you guys are taking about.  
IMG_20170123_231940.jpg
2017-1-23
Use props
DaveH_au
lvl.2

Australia

50mmtorres Posted at 2017-1-23 23:23
I haven't flew my bird ina few days so I just turned it on to view the battery statues and saw this. I'm assuming this is what you guys are taking about.

That is exactly the problem I posted about two days ago and was told basically I did not have the same problem and to stop posting.

It is the Android Go App version 3.1.2 has a problem. The previous version does not have this problem.

Once you hit RTH or the AC goes into RTH it will ask do you want current position or previous position.
The obvious one to select is your current position which in your case is incorrect and 16996.5 feet away from you, and off it goes.  The previous position is where you took off from.

I understand there are two home positions in your App. and if you go in and manually set them one is AC position and the icon with the little man beside the triangle is "your" position.

If you took off with home position marked by AC and flew a few hundred metres as you walked along with the AC you can select your current position as new home point by pressing the little man icon and RTH will come to the new position.   I think the idea is the AC checks when RTH is invoked and if the takeoff position is a distance from where the controller is located (Now incorrect) it asks which one do you want to go to.  Possibly similar if you were moving with the AC in a boat etc.

If you select the wrong position - off it goes.. If the position is out of your range it will continue as loss of signal means RTH and that is what it is meant to do. The AC has no idea the RC gave it the wrong co-ordinates as well as the RC only gets the co-ordinates from the GPS on your phone or tab. BUT the App is what relays these co-ordinates to the RC.

I hope I have explained it clearly.  I didn't loose mine as I noticed what happened on the map and landed. My incorrect position on the map was over water..!

Flight logs will only show new home point set which is correct, because the App has your position wrong.

Some of the distances I have seen make me wonder if the App has an issue with the Map Datum. The maps are fine but incorrect Datum. We are on WGS-84 in Oz and I think China uses GCJ-02 Datum which shifts.

Regards
Dave
2017-1-24
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Australia

DaveH_au Posted at 2017-1-24 00:14
That is exactly the problem I posted about two days ago and was told basically I did not have the same problem and to stop posting.

It is the Android Go App version 3.1.2 has a problem. The previous version does not have this problem.

"Flight logs will only show new home point set which is correct, because the App has your position wrong".

This is where you are wrong.
The flight data will show any changes in your home point.
You described a fault that causes the location of the aircraft to be plotted incorrectly which is very different from having the aircraft position plotted correctly but having the home point jump.

"Some of the distances I have seen make me wonder if the App has an issue with the Map Datum. The maps are fine but incorrect Datum. We are on WGS-84 in Oz and I think China uses GCJ-02 Datum which shifts."

There are two settings in the app relevant to Chinese mapping.
Have you looked to see what yours is set to and does that make a difference?
Last section in the app settings - the one with 3 dots.
Look for:
Enable Amap (for China Mainland
Calibrate Map Coordinates (for China Mainland)
2017-1-24
Use props
DaveH_au
lvl.2

Australia

Labroides Posted at 2017-1-24 00:35
"Flight logs will only show new home point set which is correct, because the App has your position wrong".

This is where you are wrong.

"The flight data will show any changes in your home point."

I totally agree with you here.
Does it show changes in the position of the controller (your position)?

I have found the AC is fine and is correct as far as gps location is concerned. If the pilot hits RTH or the Ac goes into RTH as it is intended (loss of signal, voltage problem whatever), the App has your RC position incorrect. No difference to having a bad gps signal on your phone. It is the app that reports the controller position to the drone.
The Drone then says Return to home and a question is asked. Something along the lines of. Positions differ from home, do you want to return to your current position or the previous home position.
Remember the user is still near his take off point (home point) not knowing the App shows the user a long way from where he is actually standing. It has sent this position (wrong) to the drone, that is why the drone asks the question do you wish to set the home position. If you select the current position as you would expect it would come to where you are, the drone will fly to the wrong position that it has received from the App.  Nothing wrong with the drone it is going to the co-ordinates it has received from the App.
And yes as you say, the flight logs will show "New Home Point Set" , but nowhere near the takeoff point or where you are located.  That is the jumping home point.
If this false point is way out of your range you will loose signal and not be able to cancel.

"You described a fault that causes the location of the aircraft to be plotted incorrectly which is very different from having the aircraft position plotted correctly but having the home point jump."

The aircraft has always been in the position it is supposed to be in. I never said the AC was not going to where it is supposed to be going, the APP is giving the wrong co-ordinates to the AC and it is going directly to where it is supposed to be going.. Only problem is.. It has been told to go to an incorrect location.

"There are two settings in the app relevant to Chinese mapping.
Have you looked to see what yours is set to and does that make a difference?
Last section in the app settings - the one with 3 dots.
Look for:
Enable Amap (for China Mainland
Calibrate Map Coordinates (for China Mainland)"

Thank you for this information. I have known what these settings were for and have both turned off.
All I said here is I wonder if the shift in positon is related to the datum. Others with the same problem in the app have reported differing distances.
It is apparent from the number of ac crashes and lost drones since this update to 3.1.2 App that there is a bug or problem raising its head. I have removed Version 3.1.2 and installed 3.1.0 and MY position and the AC are correct on the map. This indicates to me the GPS in my tablet is functioning. I re-installed 3.1.2 and the map screen again shows the AC correct and MY position incorrect, up to 1000m away.
I have came across these mapping/shift issues years ago working with Autocad and Mapinfo, Is it not possible the latest app was not recognising the position of one of these buttons.

I apologise for the long post.
Regards
Dave

2017-1-24
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Australia

DaveH_au Posted at 2017-1-24 05:47
"The flight data will show any changes in your home point."

I totally agree with you here.

Thanks Dave .... we're gradually closing in on this puzzle.

"All I said here is I wonder if the shift in positon is related to the datum. Others with the same problem in the app have reported differing distances."

I've dealt with datum mismatch way too many times in my work.
They usually are only 1-200 metres and I think the Chinese one might be 700 metres so we can probably discount that as a cause.

So what is it that's causing the shift?
I've seen varying distances usually between 1-2+ km and varying directions so I can't see it being a straightforward datum shift.

I've found one with no Max distance set, so we can eliminate that as a cause.
It just complicates things and makes it worse.

DJI should have an idea because this same thing popped up about 6 months ago and they fixed it quickly.
Only 2 or 3 cases showed up then.
2017-1-24
Use props
WilliamM
lvl.4
Flight distance : 904364 ft
United States

Just update the Go app to 3.1.2 on my personal cell, my drones tablet has auto updated turned off, just for things like this. And I also have the blue dot (my location) way off, did't do a measurement but it's the over side of town somewhere. I can go to the Google map app (same device) and it's right on location.  I have a tablet (the one used of flying) still on 3.0.1 to keep the Google maps, my FW on 1.7.9 still. With no plans to ever update either one any time soon.
ps: HTC 10, Android 7.0
2017-1-24
Use props
WilliamM
lvl.4
United States

pjhudson Posted at 2017-1-21 23:06
how did you get 3.0.1?

You have to side load it from a downloaded file, after uninstalling this one. Let me know if you need a link.
2017-1-24
Use props
Idiots Idiots
Banned

United States

2017-1-24
Use props
Idiots Idiots
Banned

United States

2017-1-24
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Australia

Idiots Idiots Posted at 2017-1-24 13:50
Lol so many people get so irratated when we tell our experience, there is an issue with app 3.1.2 like it or not and for the a@sholes post about people can't tie their shoes, pull your head out of you A@$.

Some people can't explain what they are seeing and just make it difficult for someone trying to properly work out what the problem is.
2017-1-24
Use props
fans235198f5
lvl.1
Flight distance : 142579 ft
United States

Any idea on when this 1-2km mapping issue will be fixed? I don't dare download it yet on my Android tablet (don't have the older iPad anymore with a stable version), as I don't want this thing flying off to God knows where. Pretty much all the Google Play reviews for DJI Go warn to stay away from 3.1.2. Any time frames yet?
2017-1-29
Use props
WilliamM
lvl.4
United States

fans235198f5 Posted at 2017-1-29 10:31
Any idea on when this 1-2km mapping issue will be fixed? I don't dare download it yet on my Android tablet (don't have the older iPad anymore with a stable version), as I don't want this thing flying off to God knows where. Pretty much all the Google Play reviews for DJI Go warn to stay away from 3.1.2. Any time frames yet?

Just install a older version of the Go app. I use two different devices for my drone, one has 3.0.1 and the other 2.9.1. No need to have the most updated version.
2017-1-29
Use props
DanMan32
lvl.3
Flight distance : 2489501 ft
United States

There are a few functions the app uses the mobile device position.  One of course is Follow Me.  You can also reset the home position to either where the quad is or where the app believes you are.
And if the home position gets moved to the miscalculated position, then max distance may kick in.
2017-1-29
Use props
kndll
lvl.4
Flight distance : 930161 ft
Canada

fans235198f5 Posted at 2017-1-29 10:31

Chinese new year now , all china shuts down , so 3 weeks maybe ?
2017-1-29
Use props
maarten08
lvl.1

Belgium

DJI has put a new version of 3.1.2 in Google Play store, fixed the problem for me. Device location is now correct
2017-2-8
Use props
blackcrusader
lvl.4
Flight distance : 689774 ft
Taiwan

2017-2-9
Use props
Mark The Droner
Second Officer
Flight distance : 2917 ft
United States