2620 35 2017-1-22
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Labroides
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 9991457 ft
  • >>>
Australia

Owners of the Standard who have recently updated firmware should be very  careful particularly if they have a Max Distance limit set in their  app.

There have been several reports in the last 24 hours of jumping home point problems.
All are P3 Standard
All have Max Distance limit set.
We saw 2 of these six months ago and none since ... until yesterday and now there are about 5 reported.

Home point jumps to somewhere usually within 2 km and puts the Phantom out of the Max Distance limit.
Phantom won't come home because that puts it further past the Max distance limit from the new (false) home point.

Until this is sorted out, Standard owners should not use the Max Distance limit
It can cause more trouble than it's worth.

DJI people .. there are a couple of examples here:
http://forum.dji.com/thread-81594-1-1.html
http://forum.dji.com/thread-81598-1-1.html
http://forum.dji.com/forum.php?m ... =1&extra=#pid660562

I don't have a Standard to test with but my best guess to deal with  jumping home point would be to reset home to the controller's current  location (if you have a GPS enabled phone/tablet)
And disable the Max Distance limit in the app.

2017-1-22
Use props
Bfd300
lvl.4
Flight distance : 73661 ft
United States

I have to admit. Labs you sir are totally on top of things.   Great job sir
2017-1-22
Use props
cristianc
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1008143 ft
Australia

Perfect! cheers mate!
2017-1-22
Use props
Geebax
First Officer
Australia

It can all be fixed with some canisters of carbon granules and roll of gaffer tape.....
2017-1-22
Use props
Bay Cruiser
lvl.4
Flight distance : 2039288 ft
Australia

Can you please explain what you mean by max distance limit set. Mine has the max distance limit set on so the slide on off button is green and max distance is set at 500. Do you mean I should switch this off.
2017-1-22
Use props
Bfd300
lvl.4
United States

Yes turn it off. No green
2017-1-22
Use props
Thermographer
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1417362 ft
United States

Yes, turn it off
2017-1-22
Use props
Bay Cruiser
lvl.4
Australia

Bfd300 Posted at 2017-1-22 18:41
Yes turn it off. No green

Sorry for being dumb but if I turn this off what will be my max distance. I am on 1.7.9 and do not plan on updated so does this affect me ?
2017-1-22
Use props
Bfd300
lvl.4
United States

You won't have a max distance.    Apparently the latest FW is a prob with the standard
2017-1-22
Use props
Thermographer
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1417362 ft
United States

Not to be a smarty, but your max distance will be the point when lose connection with the aircraft.
2017-1-22
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Australia

Bay Cruiser Posted at 2017-1-22 18:44
Sorry for being dumb but if I turn this off what will be my max distance. I am on 1.7.9 and do not plan on updated so does this affect me ?

I suspect it is only affecting the latest firmware so shouldn't affect you.
If you were to disable the max distance limit, your limit would be as far as the radio control would reach.
Probably something around +/- 600 metres for the standard depending on conditions.
2017-1-22
Use props
Bay Cruiser
lvl.4
Australia

Thank you all for the last 3 replies, I thought that was the case but it has always been on my app and I really don't remember switching it on and just wanted to confirm after all these problems with new updates.

I really can't understand how so many people have problems every time DJI issue an update. I really wish I left mine as was when I got it instead of updating to 1.7.9.

1.7.9 limits me a bit but not as bad as 1.8.10 as I read. What is the matter with DJI's technical people who write these updates. I have never heard of so many problem and as this can be a dangerous bit of kit I am really surprised DJI are so slap happy and will never admit they make a mistake and get it rectified. When you buy anything and it says there is an update you would assume you update unless its from DJI so it seems !!! Very Very disappointed in this bird since I got it as I feel uneasy every time I fly because I don't now trust DJI.

I am actually looking at something else now because of so many problems people have with these phantoms, but what is out there, when you do a search DJI come in the top 10 eight times !!!
2017-1-22
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Australia

Bay Cruiser Posted at 2017-1-22 19:06
Thank you all for the last 3 replies, I thought that was the case but it has always been on my app and I really don't remember switching it on and just wanted to confirm after all these problems with new updates.

I really can't understand how so many people have problems every time DJI issue an update. I really wish I left mine as was when I got it instead of updating to 1.7.9.

"I am actually looking at something else now because of so many problems people have with these phantoms, but what is out there, when you do a search DJI come in the top 10 eight times !!!"

DJI has more than 70% of the market in ready-to-fly drones - probably much more nowdays.
For the simple reason that they make the best - by a long way.
Their current models are two generations ahead of anything else on the market and you won't find anything to even come close.
Your experience with the Standard is not what users are finding with the higher-level models which are outstanding devices.
2017-1-22
Use props
Bay Cruiser
lvl.4
Australia

Labroides Posted at 2017-1-22 20:05
"I am actually looking at something else now because of so many problems people have with these phantoms, but what is out there, when you do a search DJI come in the top 10 eight times !!!"

DJI has more than 70% of the market in ready-to-fly drones - probably much more nowdays.

Thats interesting because I have looked at this forums for phantom 4 pro and advance and there seems to be just as many complaints re losing RC signal and video wi fi problem than the 3 standard. Thats my problem with this bird and puts me off a bit. I do not do long flights the most I ever go is 80 metes up and 200 distance because that all I need it for my work, but the amount of interference message and RC lose signals where you have to keep adjusting the aerial is a real pain. I want to look at the bird and see where it is but have to keep my eyes pinned on the screen because of so many problems popping up with such a short distance. It also doesn't matter if rural or built up RC loss is constantly there. I also have ARGtec and am looking at a 11dbi or even a 14dbi 5.8G aerial for the RC control.
2017-1-22
Use props
Geebax
First Officer
Australia

Bay Cruiser Posted at 2017-1-22 20:18
Thats interesting because I have looked at this forums for phantom 4 pro and advance and there seems to be just as many complaints re losing RC signal and video wi fi problem than the 3 standard. Thats my problem with this bird and puts me off a bit. I do not do long flights the most I ever go is 80 metes up and 200 distance because that all I need it for my work, but the amount of interference message and RC lose signals where you have to keep adjusting the aerial is a real pain. I want to look at the bird and see where it is but have to keep my eyes pinned on the screen because of so many problems popping up with such a short distance. It also doesn't matter if rural or built up RC loss is constantly there. I also have ARGtec and am looking at a 11dbi or even a 14dbi 5.8G aerial for the RC control.

You should easily get the distance you want with the P3 Advanced or Pro, or the P4 or the P4P, the Standard is known for its short range.
2017-1-22
Use props
Bay Cruiser
lvl.4
Australia

Geebax Posted at 2017-1-22 20:43
You should easily get the distance you want with the P3 Advanced or Pro, or the P4 or the P4P, the Standard is known for its short range.

Without having to keep adjusting the aerial every few seconds.

I used to fly radio controlled fuel helicopters for about 10 years, albeit in a field, but we never had these issues re range and losing signal, but I suppose there was a lot less wifi then.
2017-1-22
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Australia

Bay Cruiser Posted at 2017-1-22 20:18

"phantom 4 pro and advance and there seems to be just as many complaints re losing RC signal and video wi fi problem than the 3 standard"

that may be a perception you get from the forum but out there in the wild, the Lightbridge Phantoms are the way to go.
They don't use old-school wifi so don't have wifi problems.
They get outstanding range right out of the box.
Easily over 4 kilometres in a good interference free area and are just much less trouble than the Standard.
Find someone with one and go for a fly with them to see how far ahead they are.
The two P3s are great but the P4 pro is another big jump ahead of them.
2017-1-22
Use props
Bay Cruiser
lvl.4
Australia

Labroides Posted at 2017-1-22 21:00
"phantom 4 pro and advance and there seems to be just as many complaints re losing RC signal and video wi fi problem than the 3 standard"

that may be a perception you get from the forum but out there in the wild, the Lightbridge Phantoms are the way to go.

Thanks for the info, I will look at the pro and see if that price comes down on the next new product launch.
2017-1-22
Use props
solentlife
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1087530 ft
Latvia

Oh dear .....

1. It is nothing to do with max distance.
2. It is the new Go App which puts home point at error.
3. It has nothing to do with latest FW 1.8.10

My advice to people - roll back the Go App to 3.1.1 or earlier. If you want to have Google maps as well - then roll back to 2.9.1.

How ?

First uninstall 3.1.2
Second download the older Go from Papa Tita website or APK
Install the older Go
Finally go to Play Store and tap the three bars in title - select do not update but leave warning about updates available.

That way you have better Go App and it will not auto update. You choose when.

Nigel
2017-1-22
Use props
solentlife
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1087530 ft
Latvia

Bfd300 Posted at 2017-1-22 18:54
You won't have a max distance.    Apparently the latest FW is a prob with the standard

No it is not --- it is the latest Go app 3.1.2 which is the problem.

Nigel
2017-1-22
Use props
Bay Cruiser
lvl.4
Australia

Now I don't know what to do, so many different views..... I have 3.1.2 and 1.7.9 and will not update the bird and have switched off auto app updates.

My bird works ok ish but definitely not as good as when I had 1.5.8. What is up with DJI ?, they either makes bad software updates or bad apps, they really need to listen to their customers and sort out all these complaints, instead of asking the same questions, where do you fly, are you up to date, what app are you using, what tablet are you using and finally send it in, heard that so so many times its boring !!!!
2017-1-22
Use props
taurus35
lvl.4
Flight distance : 136417 ft
United Kingdom

Does this fault seem to be with the Android version of the app? iOS? or both? I don't see anyone reporting which version of the app they are using. From images & comments, I deduce that it's mainly Android but could be wrong.
If your having this issue please state which version of the app you are using which might help someone diagnose the issue better.
2017-1-23
Use props
DJI Natalia
Administrator
Flight distance : 318 ft

We are concern much about the case you reported, we're now collecting the flight records, our engineers will analyze the data once we get it and let you know the analysis result.
Thanks you so much for your attention!
2017-1-23
Use props
indianaiceman
lvl.1
Flight distance : 154052 ft
United States

Same problem here.  Android with v3.1.2 Go App.  Shows my location 2miles from actual location.  Have downloaded the APP on multiple devices and still not showing actual location.  
Uninstalled and put the old version back on my phone and my location is correct now.
2017-1-23
Use props
indianaiceman
lvl.1
United States

Just checked my frieND using ios is not having the same issue with most current app, so I think this is Android only issue
2017-1-23
Use props
Betamace
lvl.4
Flight distance : 2133 ft
United States

indianaiceman Posted at 2017-1-23 05:12
Same problem here.  Android with v3.1.2 Go App.  Shows my location 2miles from actual location.  Have downloaded the APP on multiple devices and still not showing actual location.  
Uninstalled and put the old version back on my phone and my location is correct now.
Is the drone returning to the new home point or is the app just showing it at a new location?
When I first heard of the Home point jumping, I was all set to try reaching 1 mile or CS loss/RTH (which ever comes first) with my new Argtec kit but instead I decided to investigate.

With the 2.9.1 app and 1.8.10 FW,  I conservatively  set my max flight distance to 300 meters and flew out over a farm. I ran 3 tests,  same results each time, the home Point did not change and I could cancel RTH once it was returning.

Still, I'm not going to risk using 3.1.2 since it has not been proven any more viable than a Beta.

In winter time  I usually fly beaters so I'm going back to my X-380 until further reports establish re-occurrences  of this and other possible issues.   
2017-1-23
Use props
indianaiceman
lvl.1
United States

When I select RTH the app asks if I want to return to last recorded position or "my position".  I tested selecting the my position which was about 2miles away according to the map, and the app basiaclly said it was to far to attempt and would return to last recorded position.

So by insuring that on takeoff the home point is set at that location it really doesnt matter where the blue dot is showing on the map, but the blue dot should be your actual location not some random place 2 miles away.

So to review.
1.  Using version 3.1.2
2.  Andriod Device(S6, S7, Tab E, and tried on S7 Edge)
3.  Drone shows proper location on map
4.  Home Point records upon takeoff and is correct on map.
5.  Blue Dot(my location) shows 2 miles west of actually location.
6.  When selecting RTH, app does ask which location I want to return to.  Home Point, or Current Location
7.  If I select current location(2miles away) the app says that is too far away.

8..  Uninstalled and put version 2.9.1 on my phone and it now show Blue Dot in correct location with drone and home point.
2017-1-23
Use props
Makokiller
lvl.2
Flight distance : 1115095 ft
United States

Does the IOS version seem to have any problems yet?
2017-1-23
Use props
MerlinL14
lvl.4
Flight distance : 2858 ft
United Kingdom

I have the latest firmware uploaded, but my Go App is 3.1.1 (Android) I did not have the home location issues being reported by Android users with 3.1.2, or the range (lack of) reported problems. I have a dedicated Tablet and auto app update switched off by default.
Can someone who has 3.1.2 loaded and has since rolled back let us know if this resolved the issue, let DJI know as well as it is ultimately their responsibility to rectify this glaring problem. Obviously there was no pre test of the release prior to putting it up on Play Store, unless you can convince us otherwise DJI, you need to get some overtime in and sort it.
2017-1-23
Use props
indianaiceman
lvl.1
United States

See my last post Merlin
I went back to v2.9.1 and my location is now correct, but haven't flown more than 5 minutes
2017-1-23
Use props
MerlinL14
lvl.4
Flight distance : 2858 ft
United Kingdom

indianaiceman Posted at 2017-1-23 10:52
See my last post Merlin
I went back to v2.9.1 and my location is now correct, but haven't flown more than 5 minutes

So you did.
Missed that when I was reading your bullet points. Glad it has resolved your issue though.
2017-1-23
Use props
Rodger8
Second Officer
Flight distance : 20145135 ft
  • >>>
United States

Oh my ! the uneducated ! Uninformed opinion !!
2018-3-9
Use props
ghutch
lvl.4
Flight distance : 187375 ft
United States

Big thanks for the heads up!!!
2018-3-9
Use props
Texas-Mark
lvl.4
Flight distance : 23002 ft
United States

Rodger8 Posted at 2018-3-9 18:11

Umm.. This thread is over a year old.
2018-3-9
Use props
Geebax
First Officer
Australia

Rodger8 Posted at 2018-3-9 18:11

Excellent self-analysis.
2018-3-9
Use props
Rodger8
Second Officer
Flight distance : 20145135 ft
  • >>>
United States

Geebax Posted at 2018-3-9 18:26
Excellent self-analysis.

Please don't compliment yourself
2018-3-9