Just ordered a Mavic Pro! Have a few questions
1113 10 2017-1-23
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
RearViewMirror
lvl.3
United States

Greetings everyone!

As the title states I just ordered a Mavic Pro bundle with two extra batteries, extra props, and a charging hub. I realize that most of the questions that I'm going to ask have already been answered ad nausem but rather than reading through many different threads I was hoping that I could condense my few questions to this one.

I've owned three phantoms in the past and just sold my Inspire 1 V2 a few months ago partly due to the release of the Mavic but more importantally due to the fact that I just didn't have as much time to fly it as I would like due to my photo / video shoots for realestate. I miss my Inspire greatly but the smaller size of the Mavic intrigued me. I liked the idea of less set up time and similar (though I understand not better) video quality. I never used the Inspire for video shoots for my business since I do not hold a license to do so nor do I have a desire to aquire one (other than the standard FAA license which I do have). The Mavic (as with the Inspire) will just be for personal use.

My questions are as follows:

1. I noticed that the bundle that I ordered comes with a car charger. I assume it comes with an AC charger also since the bundle also comes with a charging hub? Would that be correct?

2. I'm interested in the firmware updates that are released for the Mavic. I know it was almost always an issue with the Inspire when new firmware updates came out and there usually were a few bugs here and there when a new update was released. Have / are the firmware updates for the Mavic been more stable in your opinion?

3. Almost all of the threads I've read on here have been positive about the Mavic (other than shipping time) and it's performance. Are there any issues I shoud be aware of that I might have missed?

I'm excited about the Mavic and it should be here in a week. I miss the Inspire and I'm ready to get flying again. I never had one issue with the Inspire but I am looking forward to having a smaller form factor that is able to fit in my camera bag with all my lenses and camera bodies.

Thank you all in advance for your advice!

2017-1-23
Use props
fans90d4f438
lvl.3
Flight distance : 451335 ft
United States

#1. Yes.
#2.  Same as with Phatom and Inspire. I personally got into a habit of waiting at least 1-2 weeks before upgrading my firmware on any of my quads. let others be the beta testers.
#3. I've had zero issues with my Mavic thus far. Have about 10 flights, longest being about 1.7 miles from launch point.  My prior quad was the V Phantom Vision +.  The Mavic and it's form factor and features will be impossible to beat at this price point.
2017-1-23
Use props
RearViewMirror
lvl.3
United States

fans90d4f438 Posted at 2017-1-23 05:42
#1. Yes.
#2.  Same as with Phatom and Inspire. I personally got into a habit of waiting at least 1-2 weeks before upgrading my firmware on any of my quads. let others be the beta testers.
#3. I've had zero issues with my Mavic thus far. Have about 10 flights, longest being about 1.7 miles from launch point.  My prior quad was the V Phantom Vision +.  The Mavic and it's form factor and features will be impossible to beat at this price point.

Thank you for the response! I agree with you about updating the firmware as I did the same as you and waited for a while after a new firmware update was released. I was running (what was considered at the time) the most stable firmware in the Inspire 1 and was happy with that since it had zero issues.

Thanks once again my friend!
2017-1-23
Use props
fans90d4f438
lvl.3
Flight distance : 451335 ft
United States

certainly. Also, to clarify. The 1.7 mile flight could have gone much longer. Was getting dark and I flew it back home on my own. At 1.7 miles I still had about 68% battery power left if I recall. I did a mix of sport mode and P mode flying..so I may have drained the battery a bit much during the sport mode part. And this was over a fairly heavy wifi saturated area for my flight. Im amazed at the Ocusync transmission technology over the old phantom wifi signal
2017-1-23
Use props
hypnotist
lvl.2
Flight distance : 559229 ft
United States

Chiming in, even though your questions have been answered already.

My Mavic has been off the charts awesome. I get people coming up to me while I fly and they are always amazed at how cool it is.

I give everyone that wants a free flying lesson and I've sold quite a few through my enthusiasm.

With people around, I ask them if they want a dronie or fun video. I took a video of some teens at a skate park the other day and sent it to them. They got to edit the footage right through the GO4 app and I sent it right to them.

I also do a ton of real estate and it's been perfect for that as well. I'm a stats nerd and my listings that have drone videos sell on average 5 days faster and for $10k higher than previously, so this thing is a money maker for me and my clients.

They say the best camera is the one you have with you. I can keep my Mavic with me at all times and do for just that reason.

Aside from the immense amounts of fun I have on my own, people just love the little guy and always have positive things to say. If ever anyone is scared or apprehensive, I just let them take the controls or show them a pic or video and they are instantly converted.

Have fun flying.
2017-1-23
Use props
RearViewMirror
lvl.3
United States

hypnotist Posted at 2017-1-23 09:11
Chiming in, even though your questions have been answered already.

My Mavic has been off the charts awesome. I get people coming up to me while I fly and they are always amazed at how cool it is.

Thank you!
2017-1-23
Use props
kari5
lvl.2
Flight distance : 3448 ft
Finland

3. Some random GPS lost happen, noticed that after that doing radar calibration, got rid of that in most cases.
2017-1-23
Use props
fans6394d9c6
lvl.2
Flight distance : 69787 ft
United States

I'm a  P3A driver I got my mavic last week.   Very much a fun upgrade.  I mostly did the upgrade as I travel a lot and want to take my drone with me when I do so.  Taking a PHantom in a backpack on an airline flight was too much of a hastle

I recommend buying dji care and do that as soon as you get the drone.  You need to buy within 48h of activating the aircraft.   (or go thru an approval process later.)   The Phantoms were drones that the diy could fix themselfs, and I did often enough.   This mavic fells less like I'll be able to diy

I've only had it one week, but am very impressed.  I also got the combo you got, as well as got the screen protector.    Using a ipad mini, but don't like the feel, so may go back to just using an iphone, it's smaller but as the screen is below the controller it affects your hand position.  I don't like the hand position with the larger screen.

They did very well on this kit.  Packaging feels like it was designed by Apple, very well thought out package.

off to fly!!!!!------
2017-1-23
Use props
RearViewMirror
lvl.3
United States

Thank you all for the replies! Now I really can't wait until I receive mine
2017-1-23
Use props
SkySailorMan
Second Officer
Flight distance : 2170768 ft
United States

I'll throw in a quick two cents-worth too. When using RTH be cognizant of the orientation of the Mavic to the sun as it flies back to home point while Obstacle Avoidance is activated. On one of my earliest flights while I was at the bottom of the learning curve, the Mavic registered the sun to be an obstacle, and it took off straight up, and up, and up trying to fly over the obstacle until I finally regained control. I won't say how high it climbed before I regained control, but I'll say that it climbed well beyond the max height setting that I had set on the app, and THAT was quite surprising.
2017-1-23
Use props
RearViewMirror
lvl.3
United States

SkySailorMan Posted at 2017-1-23 15:12
I'll throw in a quick two cents-worth too. When using RTH be cognizant of the orientation of the Mavic to the sun as it flies back to home point while Obstacle Avoidance is activated. On one of my earliest flights while I was at the bottom of the learning curve, the Mavic registered the sun to be an obstacle, and it took off straight up, and up, and up trying to fly over the obstacle until I finally regained control. I won't say how high it climbed before I regained control, but I'll say that it climbed well beyond the max height setting that I had set on the app, and THAT was quite surprising.

I was lucky with the Inspire and only had the RTH activate one time when it lost signal. As far as using RTH I never actually activated it manually but thank you for the advice as it gives me one more tool in the toolbox. I "generally" fly within LOS although with the smaller footprint of the Mavic I realize that it will be a bit harder to do that.
2017-1-24
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules