Litchi vs. Autopilot vs. DJI GO 4 for pano?
3268 9 2017-1-24
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Jeff Goldberg
lvl.2
Flight distance : 1457329 ft
United States

I am primarily a photographer and love the idea of now using my Mavic to take shots from new and interesting perspectives.  I spend a lot of time on the ground creating 360 degree panoramas.  I like the idea of experimenting with different pano's with the Mavic.  My question for the forum crew is what is the best approach to do this?  

I can't find option in the DJI GO 4 app, so I presume that would be manual.  I imagine it's a process of experimentation to get the best "touch" to rotate the camera.  There is a gauge for the gimbal so additional rows seem more straightforward.

For applications like Litchi or Autopilot, I am curious about the level of stability in the product. I am more focused on the photos than the flying.  I am good enough to get the drone where I need for the manual shots.  Works as advertised.  Do Litchi and Autopilot work as seamlessly?  If so, preference for one over the other specifically for panos?

Thanks all for perspectives!

Jeff
2017-1-24
Use props
Ex Machina
First Officer
Flight distance : 1806362 ft
United States

I'm planning on looking into this myself once I feel I've mastered the DJI app, so commenting to follow the thread.  I will note if you are running Android then Litchi is your only option.
2017-1-24
Use props
Jeff Goldberg
lvl.2
United States

Ex Machina Posted at 2017-1-24 17:50
I'm planning on looking into this myself once I feel I've mastered the DJI app, so commenting to follow the thread.  I will note if you are running Android then Litchi is your only option.

Let me know what you find.  I am iOS, so options open.  I wish DJI made it easy... just add pano option to the app.  Would be great and presumably easy for them to do.
2017-1-24
Use props
Ex Machina
First Officer
Flight distance : 1806362 ft
United States

Oh, forgot about this one: http://forum.dji.com/forum.php?m ... mp;page=1#pid651509 -- might be worth checking out as well.
2017-1-24
Use props
thehippoz
Second Officer
Flight distance : 23 ft
United States

Thing with litchi, they have a legacy pano option. It allows you to shoot and stitch correctly. If you turn it off, you're able to shoot hdr shots raw, but the price is when you go to stitch it in ice or whatever, the horizon won't line up. The solution is to shoot 40 shots and take out any that aren't shot right. The default is 32. 40 shots takes awhile, especially with winds. I shot this before Christmas in the park, you can see, the hdr and post looks pretty good considering shooting into the sun to the south. This practically solstice.

I stopped taking panos because it takes so long with wind. In litchi you need 40 shots. I don't know about the software Machina linked.

2017-1-24
Use props
Jeff Goldberg
lvl.2
United States

Thanks for the thoughts.  For regular 360 pano, I take a lot less.  I am surprised litchi goes with 40.  
2017-1-25
Use props
DRONE-flies-YOU
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1450594 ft
United States

Jeff Goldberg Posted at 2017-1-25 03:25
Thanks for the thoughts.  For regular 360 pano, I take a lot less.  I am surprised litchi goes with 40.

DronePan
2017-1-25
Use props
Logger
lvl.4
Flight distance : 2883714 ft
Australia

I took 34 shots with litchi  to get this and I don't need to use legacy mode.  Happy with the horizon too. With Litchi simply fly to the spot, press play and wait about 3 minutes for it to complete. That's it. But I try not to do it when there us a lot of wind as you are asking for trouble in probably any app. I seem to recall 34 was how it was preset.
https://www.skypixel.com/photos/ ... b-8a39-afd5384da8d6
2017-1-25
Use props
thehippoz
Second Officer
Flight distance : 23 ft
United States

Logger Posted at 2017-1-25 12:47
I took 34 shots with litchi  to get this and I don't need to use legacy mode.  Happy with the horizon too. With Litchi simply fly to the spot, press play and wait about 3 minutes for it to complete. That's it. But I try not to do it when there us a lot of wind as you are asking for trouble in probably any app. I seem to recall 34 was how it was preset.
https://www.skypixel.com/photos/8fe2a687-bcd6-484b-8a39-afd5384da8d6

Not too shabby Logger Still a little off on horizon but a lot better than when I was taking them. Litchi would be perfect if you could hdr perfect panos imo. I couldn't get it to stitch perfect without legacy or taking the extra shots. I'll have to try again when no wind {:4_169:} Maybe higher up too.
2017-1-25
Use props
Jeff Goldberg
lvl.2
United States

I will give it a shot.  I love HDR pano on the ground.  Will see what we can do in the air.
2017-1-27
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules