Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
ND Filter - Everything you need to know about it
12345Next >
12255 168 2017-1-24
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
UnlimiteDrone
Second Officer
Flight distance : 146913 ft
  • >>>
Germany

Hey Everybody

I also want to share my article about ND Filters with you because i´m sure it will help especially the beginners in this forum.

http://unlimitedrone.com/2016/11/28/nd-filter-why-they-are-necessary-for-your-drone/

Feedback is very much appreciated

2017-1-24
Use props
BuzzCut
Second Officer

United States

That was very helpful to me.  More clearly articulated than I've typically seen and a well laid-out page.

It would be a nice addition to see a side-by site example of motion blur vs. no motion blur, e.g. A screen shot of yaw with an ND filter vs. without to show how strong the effect is that's introduced by, say, an ND8.

Good stuff!
2017-1-25
Use props
UnlimiteDrone
Second Officer
  • >>>
Germany

BuzzCut Posted at 2017-1-25 04:18
That was very helpful to me.  More clearly articulated than I've typically seen and a well laid-out page.

It would be a nice addition to see a side-by site example of motion blur vs. no motion blur, e.g. A screen shot of yaw with an ND filter vs. without to show how strong the effect is that's introduced by, say, an ND8.

Sounds like a great idea, will put it on my To-Do List
2017-1-25
Use props
A1000
lvl.4
Flight distance : 149760 ft
United Kingdom

Nice article. For me ND filters are one of the must have accessories for the Mavic if you want to capture great footage/images capable of tweaking in post production.
2017-1-25
Use props
cluc
lvl.4
Flight distance : 85682 ft
Australia

Thanks for that, was trying to look for some simple explanation about why ND filters are required and when to use them.
That is a good check list.
2017-1-26
Use props
DJobi
lvl.1

United States

very helpful, thank you. You have convinced me.
2017-1-27
Use props
fans90d4f438
lvl.4
Flight distance : 451335 ft
United States

going to get filters, but need to read up some more on which ones are best for me in the under $50 price range.  For my requirements, I need them to be able to allow normal mavic start up when isntalled, , normal gimbal calibration, no gimbal errors when fitted,  and yet, not cost me $10 in shipping for something so light and small.
2017-1-27
Use props
Ex Machina
Captain
Flight distance : 1806362 ft
United States

Nice, but is it true that high electronic shutter speeds can create a jello effect? Or rather that lower shutter speeds allow motion blur, which helps hide any existing jello?
2017-1-27
Use props
UnlimiteDrone
Second Officer
  • >>>
Germany

Ex Machina Posted at 2017-1-27 15:28
Nice, but is it true that high electronic shutter speeds can create a jello effect? Or rather that lower shutter speeds allow motion blur, which helps hide any existing jello?

It really helps, can´t explain how but it does.
2017-1-28
Use props
fans90d4f438
lvl.4
Flight distance : 451335 ft
United States

fans90d4f438 Posted at 2017-1-27 09:41
going to get filters, but need to read up some more on which ones are best for me in the under $50 price range.  For my requirements, I need them to be able to allow normal mavic start up when isntalled, , normal gimbal calibration, no gimbal errors when fitted,  and yet, not cost me $10 in shipping for something so light and small.

And ordered

https://www.amazon.com/Mavic-ND- ... s=dji+mavic+filters
2017-1-28
Use props
DanCarpy
lvl.1

United Kingdom

2017-1-28
Use props
UnlimiteDrone
Second Officer
  • >>>
Germany

fans90d4f438 Posted at 2017-1-28 13:55
And ordered

https://www.amazon.com/Mavic-ND-Filters-Set-ND4/dp/B01MY80IYN/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&qid=1485640509&sr=8-6&keywords=dji+mavic+filters

Can you give feedback as soon you did tests with this filter please?
2017-1-29
Use props
DroneSocks
New

Montenegro

fans90d4f438 Posted at 2017-1-28 13:55
And ordered

https://www.amazon.com/Mavic-ND-Filters-Set-ND4/dp/B01MY80IYN/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&qid=1485640509&sr=8-6&keywords=dji+mavic+filters

Why would you order something that has no reviews and isn't tested, just to save few bucks?
2017-2-1
Use props
UnlimiteDrone
Second Officer
  • >>>
Germany

DroneSocks Posted at 2017-2-1 15:09
Why would you order something that has no reviews and isn't tested, just to save few bucks?

thats why I asked him for feedback
2017-2-1
Use props
DT393
lvl.4
Flight distance : 282979 ft
United States

great post, very helpful for a newbie like me. I had already been looking at the polar pro. You prefer the vivid over the shutter set?
2017-2-2
Use props
UnlimiteDrone
Second Officer
  • >>>
Germany

DT393 Posted at 2017-2-2 01:38
great post, very helpful for a newbie like me. I had already been looking at the polar pro. You prefer the vivid over the shutter set?

I have no preference yet but I heard that there can occur issues with the vivid set and horizons so the shutter set is the best to begin with.
2017-2-2
Use props
DT393
lvl.4
Flight distance : 282979 ft
United States

Awesome, thanks. Order just cleared so hopefully I'll have my mavic in hand soon.
2017-2-3
Use props
MacIak
lvl.4
Flight distance : 3419 ft
Belgium

Thanks, you're a great salesperson Now you made me order the PolarPro Vivid/Shutter 6 pack!
2017-2-3
Use props
UnlimiteDrone
Second Officer
  • >>>
Germany

MacIak Posted at 2017-2-3 05:06
Thanks, you're a great salesperson Now you made me order the PolarPro Vivid/Shutter 6 pack!

Cool, would be great if you give some feedback after you tried them.
2017-2-4
Use props
MacIak
lvl.4
Flight distance : 3419 ft
Netherlands

UnlimiteDrone@g Posted at 2017-2-4 11:56
Cool, would be great if you give some feedback after you tried them.

Will do although they're out of stock and delivery starts " first come first serve" end of Feb (gone through this before, cant remember when/ why )
2017-2-5
Use props
UnlimiteDrone
Second Officer
  • >>>
Germany

MacIak Posted at 2017-2-5 05:00
Will do although they're out of stock and delivery starts " first come first serve" end of Feb (gone through this before, cant remember when/ why  )

Ahhhw, hopefully they arrive soon.
2017-2-5
Use props
TKP
lvl.1
United Kingdom

fans90d4f438 Posted at 2017-1-27 09:41

buy direct from DJI they have ND4/8/16 filters for £33 on their website http://store.dji.com/product/mavic-nd-filters-set#/?_k=dg0135
2017-2-7
Use props
ChopSticks
lvl.1

United States

TKP Posted at 2017-2-7 04:30
buy direct from DJI they have ND4/8/16 filters for £33 on their website http://store.dji.com/product/mavic-nd-filters-set#/?_k=dg0135

Is the ETA still 20-25 days? just saw a post a couple days ago that said it was closer to a week or two?
2017-2-7
Use props
TKP
lvl.1
United Kingdom

ChopSticks Posted at 2017-2-7 09:12
Is the ETA still 20-25 days? just saw a post a couple days ago that said it was closer to a week or two?

I bought mine and they turned up within 5 days or so. They aren't bad, they're lightweight and the just clip on and off the lens. I'll try and get some footage using each one hopefully by the weekend so you can have a look for yourself.

The only downside to the DJI ones is that they don't come in a case so i've had to makeshift my own using a small box with cotton to prevent scratches during transport.
2017-2-8
Use props
ChopSticks
lvl.1

United States

TKP Posted at 2017-2-8 05:31
I bought mine and they turned up within 5 days or so. They aren't bad, they're lightweight and the just clip on and off the lens. I'll try and get some footage using each one hopefully by the weekend so you can have a look for yourself.

The only downside to the DJI ones is that they don't come in a case so i've had to makeshift my own using a small box with cotton to prevent scratches during transport.

just curious when did you place the order? just saw a different post where a person got a foam little box thing to keep them in?
2017-2-8
Use props
kazcow
Second Officer
Flight distance : 454101 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

reasonable article - terrible readability with all the bold text.

It is very clear you are trying to fool your page up in google rank and gain from Amazon referral fees of the filters.

I have no problem with the above  - but your bold/non-bold text is just pure annoying.

And it is polite to mention you earn commission on the filters when people press on your link.  People are more likely to support you IF you mention to them that you earn from referral fees.
2017-2-8
Use props
TKP
lvl.1
United Kingdom

ChopSticks Posted at 2017-2-8 08:33
just curious when did you place the order? just saw a different post where a person got a foam little box thing to keep them in?

I placed the order maybe on the 29th or 30th January, I didn't receive a foam box thing just the filters in some plastic
2017-2-8
Use props
WYHSniper1007
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1003822 ft
  • >>>
United States

Really helpful link! Thanks
2017-2-8
Use props
UnlimiteDrone
Second Officer
  • >>>
Germany

WYHSniper1007 Posted at 2017-2-8 12:06
Really helpful link! Thanks

Thank you for your nice feedback WYHSniper !

Oh and  want to mention, the article is now available in different languages
2017-2-9
Use props
WYHSniper1007
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

UnlimiteDrone@g Posted at 2017-2-9 14:26
Thank you for your nice feedback WYHSniper !

Oh and  want to mention, the article is now available in different languages

do you want me to help you translate to Chinese?
2017-2-9
Use props
UnlimiteDrone
Second Officer
  • >>>
Germany

WYHSniper1007 Posted at 2017-2-9 14:51
do you want me to help you translate to Chinese?

Do you speak Chinese?
That´s nice, a very interesting language but hard to learn.

Would be great to have a Chinese version of it, thank you for that nice offer!
2017-2-9
Use props
Egika
lvl.1
Flight distance : 379593 ft

Hong Kong

@UnlimiteDrone:
Please note that a polarizing filter also reduces the shutter speed.
It does so for around 1-2EV (depending on the subject), because it is only letting light of one polarization direction through, the other part is blocked.
2017-2-9
Use props
WYHSniper1007
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

UnlimiteDrone@g Posted at 2017-2-9 17:01
Do you speak Chinese?
That´s nice, a very interesting language but hard to learn.

Yep. I am Chinese. I WILL reply it to you after I finish translate it.
2017-2-9
Use props
Spocky
lvl.1
Australia

There is a couple of things you might want to add to your article:

1) The ND as stated standard for neutral density which means that even though the light transmitted through the glass is less the colours are not affected and can be manipulated by colour correction as per normal.

2) Jello (Rolling Shutter effect) and why NDs reduce it. The small sensors on the cameras are fixed aperture as you stated. So to maintain the correct exposure you need to alter either a) the ISO (sensitivity of the sensor) or b) the exposure time. At ISO 100 a bright day still may be too much for the sensor in exposure making it a white out so the only option for the cameras sensor is to decrease the exposure time. So 1/250 of a second has twice the exposure of 1/500 of a second (all other things considered). Now back to the camera. If the camera is taking a single shot in 1/1000 of a second then it has to capture all the information quickly. The camera does this in a scanning pattern (ie top to bottom or side to side). When it does this it makes for a very 'still' image (think clear picture of a person kicking a ball where everything looks completely frozen in time).
The problem with the cameras is that it is moving at the same time and by the time the scan is getting to the bottom of the sensor to start again the image has moved so the still image looks disjointed. This looks particularly spectacular if the target object is also moving fast (like a propeller) Propellers showing rolling shutter effect.

The other thing that makes this worse is vibration as it is a rapid movement of the camera (I have personal experience of this with 2 GoPros strapped directly to a Harley Davidson....not fast but very buzzy and lots of Jello!).

So to fix the rolling shutter you have to a) minimise vibratory movement (gimble) and slow down the shutter speed (with the ND filter). It gives an image that is not as frozen in time but it is somewhat how your eyes perceive movement anyway and you see the motion as normal and it is not frame shifted due to the length of the exposure allowing the whole image to hit the sensor in a more natural fashion.

Hope that makes sense but there are a lot of articles about Rolling Shutter Effect on the Interweb so you can see what strange things happen when your small Action Cam gets carried away with speed.

Cheers Spocky

Edit: Typo
2017-2-9
Use props
Spocky
lvl.1
Australia

To add to the above (and with better pictures have a look at Jello effect and its Causes and it has a lot of pictures and explanations.

Cheesr Spocky
2017-2-9
Use props
UnlimiteDrone
Second Officer
  • >>>
Germany

Spocky Posted at 2017-2-9 20:35
To add to the above (and with better pictures have a look at Jello effect and its Causes and it has a lot of pictures and explanations.

Cheesr Spocky

Great idea and very well written information, is this all your text?
Thank you for that awesome support!
2017-2-11
Use props
fansaa3da6c4
lvl.4
Flight distance : 347507 ft
United States

How many different ones should an average person have 3 or more?
2017-2-16
Use props
UnlimiteDrone
Second Officer
  • >>>
Germany

fansaa3da6c4 Posted at 2017-2-16 08:01
How many different ones should an average person have 3 or more?

Yes you are well prepared for the most situations if you have a set of PL+ND4+ND8 Filter.
2017-2-16
Use props
tellus1
Second Officer
Flight distance : 105551 ft
Australia

Good information thanks. Waiting on my dji nd filters to ship!!!!
2017-2-16
Use props
UnlimiteDrone
Second Officer
  • >>>
Germany

Spocky Posted at 2017-2-9 20:35

Cheesr Spocky

I updated the article now and add your information, thanks for your help
2017-2-19
Use props
12345Next >
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules