Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Using Jump Cuts in Editing
798 7 2017-1-27
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
alaska42
Captain
Flight distance : 3668114 ft
  • >>>
United States

I have been using jump cuts for transitions lately. I used to use disolves a lot more. I would be interested in what others think about transitions.
My latest:

2017-1-27
Use props
A1000
lvl.4
Flight distance : 149760 ft
United Kingdom

Nice footage.  I personally prefer simple cut effects, jump or dissolve, and for me it comes down to the style that you're looking to create.  In your video the music naturally fits a jump cut in line with the beat as you achieved.  If you want a more flowing style then dissolve works well.  It really is a stylistic thing which has to be balanced with the soundtrack, length between cuts, etc...
2017-1-27
Use props
thehippoz
Captain
Flight distance : 23 ft
United States

I like it. I just fade between cuts, it seems a little less harsh on the eyes. Still re learning after effects, that should really put transitions over the top.
2017-1-27
Use props
Flybee
Captain
Flight distance : 2203983 ft
Sweden

I think in this case it fits very well, timed with the music, but I also think that a movie is so much more then transitions.

What is the story you want to tell (If you want to tell a story of course) the mood, the light and so fort.
Transitions can never save neither create a good movie.

So in this case as wrote before it's perfect but I think it might be good to not only using one type of transitions nor mixing 10 different types. Btw fabulous scenery you have there.

Happy flying
2017-1-27
Use props
Canes76
First Officer
Flight distance : 818199 ft
  • >>>
United States

So, I like the jump cuts - but like others have said, its a style.  I love jump cuts to the beat of the music - often in cinematic movies or intros, this is what you see.
So what are you trying to go for?  Wipes and dissolves have there place, but ask yourself, how many movies use those types of transitions?

The music is not my style, if it had a little higher BPM's, you could have done some fast forward (time remapping) which would have looked awesome with the jump cuts.

Love the footage - great job!
2017-1-27
Use props
alaska42
Captain
  • >>>
United States

A1000 Posted at 2017-1-27 09:30
Nice footage.  I personally prefer simple cut effects, jump or dissolve, and for me it comes down to the style that you're looking to create.  In your video the music naturally fits a jump cut in line with the beat as you achieved.  If you want a more flowing style then dissolve works well.  It really is a stylistic thing which has to be balanced with the soundtrack, length between cuts, etc...

I agree, if there is a certain beat to the music my choice is jump cuts. If I am trying to fit video to music that doesn't have a defined beat or a beat that is not as obvious then I use dissolves. Fun with editing!
2017-1-28
Use props
alaska42
Captain
  • >>>
United States

Flybee Posted at 2017-1-27 10:06
I think in this case it fits very well, timed with the music, but I also think that a movie is so much more then transitions.

What is the story you want to tell (If you want to tell a story of course) the mood, the light and so fort.

I agree, it is in the eye of the creator. I am a photographer so I love to show beautiful scenery in great light.
2017-1-28
Use props
alaska42
Captain
  • >>>
United States

Canes76 Posted at 2017-1-27 10:42
So, I like the jump cuts - but like others have said, its a style.  I love jump cuts to the beat of the music - often in cinematic movies or intros, this is what you see.
So what are you trying to go for?  Wipes and dissolves have there place, but ask yourself, how many movies use those types of transitions?

Thanks for the reply. I would say music makes the video. I edit to it. My son (32) hates the music I choose. I told him to pick some royalty free music for me, but he has not done it yet. I will give your suggestions a try, there will be pretty of footage to edit.
2017-1-28
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules