1389 9 2017-1-27
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
fansc92b02d5
lvl.1
Flight distance : 707625 ft
  • >>>
United States

I've run into an issue with my X5 gimbal, which at first I just thought it was from trying to fly in a strong head wind, but the videos below show what my camera is constantly doing, even while sitting still on my counter in my kitchen or outside on a sidewalk. It's like I'm in a boat getting rocked by waves.

I've got the latest firmware on my Inspire 1 and RC. I even calibrated the gimbal more than once before taking off, just to make sure... Didn't help.

Any thoughts on issue or fix?

[size=14.6667px]

2017-1-27
Use props
Donnie Stugots
First Officer
Flight distance : 3636782 ft
United States

Are you using the stock lens or something else .  If using another lens and it is on the list of approved ones you may need the balance ring.   Do you happen to have any of your camera gimbal settings set to high ?  , sometimes after an update they get out of whack.

And you have done the IMU calibration and follow IMMEDIATELY with the Camera gimbal calibration .  

Just some ideas

donnie
2017-1-28
Use props
fansc92b02d5
lvl.1
  • >>>
United States

Donnie Stugots Posted at 2017-1-28 12:42
Are you using the stock lens or something else .  If using another lens and it is on the list of approved ones you may need the balance ring.   Do you happen to have any of your camera gimbal settings set to high ?  , sometimes after an update they get out of whack.

And you have done the IMU calibration and follow IMMEDIATELY with the Camera gimbal calibration .  

Thanks for the tips.

- I am using the stock lens... and it hasn't always done this. Can't figure it out.

- I've checked my IMU calibration and have calibrated the camera. Do I need to calibrate the camera before I fly every time?

The shake doesn't happen every time... but it's been happening more often than I'd like. I will also randomly lose all connection to the X5 camera... it'll just have N/A under all the camera stats and hang there for several seconds before coming back online. I'm worried about that happening during an important commercial shoot.
Here's what it was doing today, shaking wise. I'm shooting in 4K @ 30fps. While it was a little windy... it was doing the same thing on the ground.

2017-2-24
Use props
DJI-Jamie
DJI team
Flight distance : 112405 ft
United States

fansc92b02d5 Posted at 2017-2-24 15:12
Thanks for the tips.

- I am using the stock lens... and it hasn't always done this. Can't figure it out.

Just to clarify, does it seem like the camera is visibly moving that much or do you only see this when you play back the footage? Did you happen to notice this after a firmware update, long term storage or a hard landing?
2017-2-25
Use props
Donnie Stugots
First Officer
United States

fansc92b02d5 Posted at 2017-2-24 15:12
Thanks for the tips.

No , you don't need to calibrate every time , just after updates and if it starts getting wonky on ya.  I tell you , I don't see it in this  video , I mean ever so slight, but you said it was windy.
I admit that I dont have the best eye for this though .  The other post for sure but not bad on this one,  I know it may not seem right but do you really perceive it during shoots of video ?  Seems like it would not be perceptaible .  I tried my X5 and it moved a little bit  as well when stationary , not quite as much as yours but it moved for sure .  Might be within the edge of tolerances  , not sure.
sorry , wish I had a better answer for you .....

donnie

2017-2-25
Use props
troyjarrell
lvl.1
  • >>>
United States

DJI-Jamie Posted at 2017-2-25 00:09
Just to clarify, does it seem like the camera is visibly moving that much or do you only see this when you play back the footage? Did you happen to notice this after a firmware update, long term storage or a hard landing?

I can see it moving even before I take off. I've tried powering down, recalibrating the gimbal, and even the compass, but it'll still wobble. I've never had a hard landing with it or long term storage... I try to fly it at least once a week. I've only had it since September.

I don't recall the first time I noticed it being after a firmware update. I've even tried to downgrade the firmware, but that didn't help either.

I'll post another example shortly from a few hours ago.
2017-2-25
Use props
troyjarrell
lvl.1
  • >>>
United States

Donnie Stugots Posted at 2017-2-25 02:56
No , you don't need to calibrate every time , just after updates and if it starts getting wonky on ya.  I tell you , I don't see it in this  video , I mean ever so slight, but you said it was windy.
I admit that I dont have the best eye for this though .  The other post for sure but not bad on this one,  I know it may not seem right but do you really perceive it during shoots of video ?  Seems like it would not be perceptaible .  I tried my X5 and it moved a little bit  as well when stationary , not quite as much as yours but it moved for sure .  Might be within the edge of tolerances  , not sure.
sorry , wish I had a better answer for you .....

The last video was more of a vibration than wobble... and it was doing it on the ground before take off too, so I don't think the wind was causing that. I can see it moving on my iPad mini.

I'm ok with slight movement... I get that. But the feeling like I'm on a boat wobble while moving through the air won't work for me.

Thanks again for any suggestions. I'm wondering if it's something I'll need to send in to get checked out.
2017-2-25
Use props
troyjarrell
lvl.1
  • >>>
United States

This was from a few hours ago.

#StopTheWobble

2017-2-25
Use props
DJI-Jamie
DJI team
Flight distance : 112405 ft
United States

troyjarrell Posted at 2017-2-25 17:20

#StopTheWobble

This could either be an issue with the camera or the mount itself. Do you happen to know someone with an Inspire or an OSMO so you can see if the camera behaves the same way?
2017-2-25
Use props
Donnie Stugots
First Officer
United States

troyjarrell Posted at 2017-2-25 17:20

#StopTheWobble

Just for grins can you lower the setting on the gimbal  settings ? on the camera Just try to lower some of the settings and see if any make a difference  (advanced  / gimbal setting s ) as you know Im sure )

Just wonder if one of the Expos might be set at Max and the gimbal is tweaking out   LOL

Good Luck my friend, where do you live by the way , could not quite tell by the scenery .  I will guess  Kentucky .....Pennsylvania maybe ....

donnie
2017-2-26
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules