Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Mavic landing by itself...and cannot cancel!
12Next >
11605 52 2017-1-28
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
skoota
lvl.1
Australia

Hi All,

I recently upgraded the firmware on my Mavic Pro to the latest version and today flew the Mavic for the first time since the upgrade. On two occasions when I was descending the aircraft (from a reasonably high altitude) the controller went into Landing mode without any such command from me. Worse still, I couldn't cancel the landing (pressing the red circle with the white X on screen did nothing - like the button was not responding). I could still manoeuvre the aircraft while it was auto-descending for landing, so it was fortunate that both times there was a clear spot to land.

So the first question is why was it going into landing mode without me giving that command? The second question (and slightly more worrying) is why couldn't I cancel the auto-landing?

Has anyone else experienced these kinds of issues, or have any suggestions?

As an aside, for testing, when I did command the aircraft to do an auto-landing (by specifically pressing the auto-land button, and swiping to confirm) I was able to successfully cancel the landing.
2017-1-28
Use props
Peut
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1761181 ft
Netherlands

It could be due to an battery error. I experienced once with a partial loaded battery. The voltage drops under 10,25V (I guess), then it will auto land.

Are you able to upload to healthy drones? Or review the log in DJI GO? Or DJI GO4?
2017-1-28
Use props
skoota
lvl.1
Australia

Peut Posted at 2017-1-28 19:21
It could be due to an battery error. I experienced once with a partial loaded battery. The voltage drops under 10,25V (I guess), then it will auto land.

Are you able to upload to healthy drones? Or review the log in DJI GO? Or DJI GO4?

Thanks for your reply. I checked the logs in DJI GO and all that it says is "Obstacle Avoidance will be disabled in landing. Fly with caution".

That said, this did only happen when I was flying with the battery at about 60% (after doing a fair bit of other flying). I'll try and cause it again with a fresh battery and see what happens.
2017-1-28
Use props
dronist
Captain
  • >>>
United States

skoota Posted at 2017-1-28 20:30
Thanks for your reply. I checked the logs in DJI GO and all that it says is "Obstacle Avoidance will be disabled in landing. Fly with caution".

That said, this did only happen when I was flying with the battery at about 60% (after doing a fair bit of other flying). I'll try and cause it again with a fresh battery and see what happens.

As suggested above, download your flight logs to healthydrones.com and it containd more data than the GO APP.
2017-1-28
Use props
skoota
lvl.1
Australia

dronist Posted at 2017-1-28 21:09
As suggested above, download your flight logs to healthydrones.com and it containd more data than the GO APP.

Thanks, I have never used HealthyDrones before!

I just uploaded the flight logs. In the notifications it says that "Mode changed to Confirm_Landing" at 55m (altitude) and 9m from the home point.

Anything in particular you would suggest I check? I have scanned through all the sections and nothing looks untoward - in fact, everything is in the green.
2017-1-29
Use props
Jason Lane
Second Officer
Flight distance : 260144 ft
Australia

Check this thread and see if it sounds like the problem you're having: http://forum.dji.com/thread-77495-1-1.html
2017-1-29
Use props
skoota
lvl.1
Australia

Jason Lane Posted at 2017-1-29 00:49
Check this thread and see if it sounds like the problem you're having: http://forum.dji.com/thread-77495-1-1.html

Thanks mate. Reading the post, that sounds like a different problem - but I found this part interesting:

"Holding decend stick all the way down will trigger auto-land"

That's exactly what's happening on my Mavic - as in both instances I was doing a fast descent with the stick full down. I have done that before without triggering auto-land, so I am wondering why it's started now...and also why it doesn't ask for confirmation on the screen, or allow me to cancel the landing?
2017-1-29
Use props
Alex SP
lvl.1
Flight distance : 112549 ft
Brazil

The controller has a PAUSE button that (supposedly) cancel or stop every movement at pressing. I haven't tried it yet but in an emergency it could stop the descending or any other unwanted movement. It may be a good idea to run some tests in controlled situations to see how and if it can be used, before we eventually need it for real!
2017-1-29
Use props
Alex SP
lvl.1
Brazil

PS.: The only situation in which I wasn't able to cancel auto landing with any DJI quad was in NFZ. If you manage to take off in the 1st place it'll land by itself without input shortly after.
2017-1-29
Use props
skoota
lvl.1
Australia

Alex SP Posted at 2017-1-29 01:57
The controller has a PAUSE button that (supposedly) cancel or stop every movement at pressing. I haven't tried it yet but in an emergency it could stop the descending or any other unwanted movement. It may be a good idea to run some tests in controlled situations to see how and if it can be used, before we eventually need it for real!

Thanks, I'll give a go tomorrow in a controlled environment. Still a bit strange that the on-screen cancel button does nothing...which makes me wonder whether this is a bug or fault with the Mavic.

P.S. I am not in a NFZ (or anywhere near one).
2017-1-29
Use props
Trent Mavic
lvl.3
Flight distance : 1098924 ft
United Kingdom

I have the VPS problem with my Mavic and when it goes into the auto land pressing the Red Cross on the phone screen to cancel doesn't work for me also. Haven't tried the pause button on the controller though. Are you sure it's not the VPS problem? Have you checked the height above ground reading to see if it flickers on and off giving figures around 0.1ft
2017-1-29
Use props
skoota
lvl.1
Australia

Trent Mavic Posted at 2017-1-29 02:18
I have the VPS problem with my Mavic and when it goes into the auto land pressing the Red Cross on the phone screen to cancel doesn't work for me also. Haven't tried the pause button on the controller though. Are you sure it's not the VPS problem? Have you checked the height above ground reading to see if it flickers on and off giving figures around 0.1ft

Thanks for your reply. I misread that thread about the VPS issue a bit...I didn't check the height above ground (as I was pretty confused at the time, and then more concerned about where it was going to land itself!). I am going to do a controlled test tomorrow in a large open space to see whether I can re-create the issue and will definitely keep a close eye on that reading and report back.
2017-1-29
Use props
R&L Aerial
Captain
Flight distance : 298100 ft
  • >>>
United States

@scooter, your having VPS problems like myself and many , many others. When it try's to land just give it throttle up and that will cancel landing, then go to settings and disable VPS then land carefully. We're all hoping for a firmware fix.
2017-1-29
Use props
R&L Aerial
Captain
  • >>>
United States

Like R& L said.
2017-1-29
Use props
bryhudso-sp
Flight distance : 952589 ft
  • >>>
United States

This happened to me twice! I called DJI Tech Support, they told me that auto land could not be canceled.  I received an error message every time I try to cancel auto land. It tries to land the drone directly below his current location. You have to force it to ascend (while it is trying to land ) and fly it to a safe location for it to descend by itself. They need to fix that!
However, my issue was that I mistakenly pressed the Auto Land button rather than the Return To Home button On the DJI GO 4 app.
They are both shown on the upper left side of the screen.
2017-1-30
Use props
Baxtr20
lvl.3
Flight distance : 4957 ft
Australia

Hi all, this just happened to me just now. I had the Mavic about 80m above me and was trying to descend fast in pretty rough wind (stick full down) and then noticed "landing" was occurring. Pressed pause but no good. I could at least manoeuvre it safely into a safe spot.
2017-1-31
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9812789 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

Baxtr20 Posted at 2017-1-31 01:57
Hi all, this just happened to me just now. I had the Mavic about 80m above me and was trying to descend fast in pretty rough wind (stick full down) and then noticed "landing" was occurring. Pressed pause but no good. I could at least manoeuvre it safely into a safe spot.

If you descend to fast i.e. In sports mode vertically you may be risking entering a vortex ring, aircraft may descend in to turbulent air the propeller downwash is creating, this may cause auto landing to kick in, just a redundancy to stop the aircraft falling out of the sky. If you are descending fast i.e. Sports mode it's better to do this while descending at an angle to avoid this happening.

Descending vertically,at speed of 3 meter per second will avoid this happening.
2017-1-31
Use props
Chaser720
lvl.4
Flight distance : 400190 ft
Canada

I can confirm that the pause button on screen DOES NOT stop it from landing. Throttling up will stop the auto land.
2017-1-31
Use props
Alex SP
lvl.1
Brazil

Chaser720 Posted at 2017-1-31 04:51
I can confirm that the pause button on screen DOES NOT stop it from landing. Throttling up will stop the auto land.

Good to know, thanks for the report. Will keep in mind just in case.
2017-1-31
Use props
skoota
lvl.1
Australia

Thanks everyone for your replies. I can confirm that this is the VPS issue, as disabling VPS has stopped this issue from occurring.

Thanks also for the tips about throttling up to cancel the auto land.

I am in two minds about whether to send the Mavic back on an RMA or wait for a firmware fix. This only started happening after I updated the firmware to the latest version, so it seems to be a firmware issue...but others have said it's a hardware issue?
2017-1-31
Use props
Jason Lane
Second Officer
Australia

I can also confirm that hitting the Pause button does not cancel the auto landing procedure, only throttle up stops it. This seems to me like an oversight on DJI's part. That Pause button really should allow us to be able to stop ALL automated actions (except maybe the emergency critical battery landing).
2017-1-31
Use props
Chaser720
lvl.4
Flight distance : 400190 ft
Canada

Jason Lane Posted at 2017-1-31 23:53
I can also confirm that hitting the Pause button does not cancel the auto landing procedure, only throttle up stops it. This seems to me like an oversight on DJI's part. That Pause button really should allow us to be able to stop ALL automated actions (except maybe the emergency critical battery landing).

I guess DJI figured the drone would be 3 feet off the ground when this procedure occurred so there wouldn't be time to look down and press the pause button before it actually landed.

There really should be some kind of time out for the auto land procedure that stops the process if the drone hasn't landed in 5 or 10 seconds.
2017-2-1
Use props
sjp3003
lvl.1

Dominican Republic

Happened to me today...the Mavic descended into trees and the camera broke off.  The battery was fully chatged and it did not respond to stick commands.
2017-2-5
Use props
Katsumoto
lvl.3
Flight distance : 56407 ft
Austria

Had yesterday similar experience. At 53% Start  descending without any reason, no alarm, just the "landing Message"
Hitting Pause Button and the red ohne did Not work at all!  I was  close to the trees  and close to a Heart-attack.....
But lucky cause the steering-sticks did react and so i was able to make a few  corrections for "Save" landing
Maybe its a battery-issue because that happened twice, but only with one of my three batteries
2017-2-6
Use props
Katsumoto
lvl.3
Austria

Had yesterday similar experience. At 53% Start  descending without any reason, no alarm, just the "landing Message" Hitting Pause Button and the red ohne did Not work at all!  I was  close to the trees  and close to a Heart-attack..... But lucky cause the steering-sticks did react and so i was able to make a few  corrections for "Save" landing  Maybe its a battery-issue because that happened twice, but only with one of my three batteries
2017-2-7
Use props
Katsumoto
lvl.3
Austria

Did it happened with the "Landing Gear Extensions" ???
2017-2-7
Use props
R&L Aerial
Captain
  • >>>
United States

In a different post @ken confirmed that this problem will be fixed in the next firmware update.
2017-2-7
Use props
Katsumoto
lvl.3
Austria

Did anybody experienced this with "Landing Gears Extension" mounted ???The back-legs are very close to the camera of the VPS......maybe this could be a reason for unexpected descending....
LGE1.jpg
2017-2-7
Use props
Jason Lane
Second Officer
Australia

Katsumoto Posted at 2017-2-7 04:44
Did anybody experienced this with "Landing Gears Extension" mounted ???The back-legs are very close to the camera of the VPS......maybe this could be a reason for unexpected descending....

I have the same set of landing gear, and I've never had an issue while using them.

Unexpected landing while the Mavic is high above the ground is most probably the faulty VPS issue that is discussed here: http://forum.dji.com/thread-77495-1-1.html Apparently the next firmware will fix the issue.
2017-2-7
Use props
D_jan_i
lvl.4
Flight distance : 562802 ft
United States

I never had such a phenomenon, even descending with sport mode and stick totally down it didn't start a landing procedure - VPS always on
2017-2-7
Use props
fans098027be
lvl.1
Flight distance : 111716 ft
United States

I had the same issue last night and also had a bad chest sensation. Not sure if I accidentally hit auto land instead of RTH, but my attempts to cancel the landing kept saying command failed. Thankfully I was able to still citron the drone while it was descending, which it would have otherwise crashed. Hoping folks are right in this forum that DJI is addressing I. Next firmware update because it was NOT cool.
2017-2-7
Use props
Alex SP
lvl.1
Brazil

Mine only starts Auto-Landing when close to ground (3ft aprox.) and left stick all the way down. It pauses for 1-2 sec. at about 3ft. then AL kicks in and it lands smoothly. I guess that's the way it should be, though I'm looking forward to the VPS fix. It's nothing worrisome or annoying, but I prefer when I can land it myself without AL as I do with my Phantoms.
2017-2-9
Use props
fans2507b980
lvl.1
Flight distance : 36821 ft

United States

Hey I know this post is a little old, but same thing happened to me today.  No matter what I did I couldn't cancel auto land.  I was throttling up like there was no tomorrow but there was no response.  It did let me maneuver horizontally so I had a safe landing, but this is really scary!  Anyone figure out what the issue is?
2017-3-13
Use props
fans2afcadf4
New

United States

This also just happened to me in Iceland.  No internet connection so no satellite view or map.  Luckily it landed in the only dry spot in a very wet field.  I had assumed i had commanded the autoland by holding the stick down, but it was very disconcerting that I couldn't cancel it.  If it happens again, I at least have a couple of things to try.  I have done several similar flights since with no problem but I have  been avoid holding the stick hard down.
2017-3-20
Use props
Jason Lane
Second Officer
Philippines

Tip: How to Cancel Auto Landing in v01.03.0500
2017-3-20
Use props
fans43d9592c
lvl.1
Flight distance : 74304 ft
New Zealand

This happened to me today, I was hovering at 97 feet and I noticed the controller was saying Landing. The Mavic started to descend into a bush, luckily I like others had control of left and right movement and could navigate a safe landing. I've sinced uploaded my logs to AirData (https://app.airdata.com/main?fli ... ENERALNotifications). You can see that at no point did I press the down control, it just suddenly decided to land. Can anyone tell me why the Mavic would have done this?
Is this a known issue? What if I had been over open water?

2017-4-1
Use props
ArtistFirst
Second Officer
Flight distance : 986716 ft
United States

I have not read the thread but I have heard many cases of this and the solution is to turn off that landing thing which is annoying anyway. Just slow down when landing. It's a VPS issue. Something in the sky makes the VPS think it's checking to land and then it starts to thinking your just feet above the ground. Of course I'm sure DJi will get around to coding the app to know not to land at 120m AGL.
2017-4-1
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9812789 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

fans43d9592c Posted at 2017-4-1 00:19
This happened to me today, I was hovering at 97 feet and I noticed the controller was saying Landing. The Mavic started to descend into a bush, luckily I like others had control of left and right movement and could navigate a safe landing. I've sinced uploaded my logs to AirData (https://app.airdata.com/main?flight=ebcd93954b25f7fb04818ccff0b63ad6&page_id=GENERALNotifications). You can see that at no point did I press the down control, it just suddenly decided to land. Can anyone tell me why the Mavic would have done this?
Is this a known issue? What if I had been over open water?

For the moment until dji sort this, just switch to sport mode this will stop the the aircraft, have a look at the link above your post, it will explain.
2017-4-1
Use props
ezumphoto
lvl.1
United States

skoota Posted at 2017-1-29 01:31
Thanks mate. Reading the post, that sounds like a different problem - but I found this part interesting:

"Holding decend stick all the way down will trigger auto-land"

I am having the same problem.  Auto landing and Auto ascending.  As of today my drone starts climbing after take off.  Slow climb about a foot a second.
2017-4-2
Use props
crucesromero
New
Flight distance : 2399439 ft
Spain

I'm having the same problem. Has anyone found the way to fix it???
2017-4-8
Use props
12Next >
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules