Seagulls and Drones (in particular Mavic Pro) ???
6606 11 2017-1-28
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
CMP
lvl.2
Flight distance : 1195837 ft
New Zealand

Hi,
I seem to be having immense trouble with seagulls paying a very keen interest in my Mavic. It has not been attacked yet, but I have had a swarm of about 15 divebomb it and pull out at the last minute. As I dont want to lose my drone I have had to stop flying 9 times out of 10 when the gulls pay an interest, rather than get the shots that I want.

Does anyone have any ideas or ways to prevent this ?
Has anyone ever had a gull (or other bird) actually hit the drone ? What was the outcome ?

Any help would be appreciated !!!!!
2017-1-28
Use props
hypnotist
lvl.2
Flight distance : 559229 ft
United States

You may be near a nest. Fly somewhere else.

If a seagull hit a blade, it would likely take down the drone and hurt the seagull badly.
2017-1-28
Use props
CMP
lvl.2
New Zealand

Thanks, It also seems that in the middle of the ocean and in the middle of nowhere there will be birds that get attracted to it ??!!!!!!!
2017-1-28
Use props
rick39
lvl.4
Flight distance : 164354 ft
United Kingdom

Most seagull species build their nests on the ground and in colonies, so it should be fairly obvious to see if that is the case in your example. If the gulls are attracted to the drone out of curiosity then there's not much you can do to stop that, apart from not flying any where near there at all. However, seagulls have become an urban bird and can be seen all over the UK and often 20 or 30 miles inland, so who's to say the same can't happen anywhere near the coast or some way inland. So is the solution to use prop guards? That way the birds are offered protection, the Mavic is too and then you can find out if they would attack your drone in relative safety.
If this were a flock of Golden Eagles or Peregrine Falcons then it would be fairly obvious not to fly in their territorial area, but gulls have become urban scavengers in great numbers, so I don't believe you are affecting the balance of nature here.
2017-1-28
Use props
CMP
lvl.2
New Zealand

Thanks Rick 39, Very insightful, that has helped me hugely - thanks !!!
2017-1-29
Use props
Wandering Cloud
lvl.3
Flight distance : 839633 ft
United Kingdom

CMP Posted at 2017-1-28 23:32
Thanks, It also seems that in the middle of the ocean and in the middle of nowhere there will be birds that get attracted to it ??!!!!!!!

Yes there will be.
Was sailing cross Indian Ocean and fly a bit of Mavic. Encountered a huge flock of frigatebirds, a lot of them fly over and investigate the drone. Luckily those bird are only interested in robing fish from other birds.
There are also some white birds that are very territorial that will fly real close to the drone and try to scare  my drone off.
2017-1-29
Use props
hridge
lvl.3
Flight distance : 17651 ft
United States

Possible change Color scheme of Mavic..  http://forum.dji.com/thread-77207-1-1.html
2017-1-30
Use props
CMP
lvl.2
New Zealand

hridge Posted at 2017-1-30 09:14
Possible change Color scheme of Mavic..  http://forum.dji.com/thread-77207-1-1.html

Thanks Might Give it a Try
2017-2-3
Use props
Wellsi
Second Officer
Flight distance : 8330187 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Agree with other poster; if a bird hits your blades you'll almost certainly lose your Mavic if it's over water... if they're beginning to take too much interest, do a quick increase in altitude and fly away....
2017-2-3
Use props
CMP
lvl.2
New Zealand

Wellsi Posted at 2017-2-3 23:28
Agree with other poster; if a bird hits your blades you'll almost certainly lose your Mavic if it's over water... if they're beginning to take too much interest, do a quick increase in altitude and fly away....

Thanks very much, I have read somewhere that increase in altitude is the easiest way to get away from them, not just flying forwards, so great to have this backed up by someone else !! Thanks Again
2017-2-4
Use props
[NS] nmyster
New
Flight distance : 45269 ft
Ireland

I just got in from a session and was pestered so much by gulls I had to give up - a shame because it is a beautiful day to film (mind the wind).
I see the advice to fly up - Why is this, doesn't it make it easier for the gulls to get me? I almost want to see what would happen if i flew up when they dive for me and see if it scares them away from me - I thought I was paranoid that birds were interested, defo not the case when it's completely quiet and calm and then all of a sudden there is like 15 seagulls all around me
2017-7-17
Use props
LIVNXXL
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1806125 ft
  • >>>
United States

Try using a skin or wrap on the Mavic if you want to continue flying near the birds. I had the same trouble with my inspire till I put an awful loooking day glo orange vinyl wrap over the white. Once i changed the color the birds left it alone. Yes, its ugly but it also worked. I can peel it off if I wanted to stay away from the beach. ( does make it easier to see in the sky)
2017-7-17
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules