Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Mavic Pro - Compass error Magnetic interference
16563 15 2017-1-29
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Pesens
lvl.1

Philippines

Hello to everyone!

I'm traveling through Philippines with my Mavic, received the 30 Dic 2016. I used the Mavic for 2 weeks very well and recorded some spectaculars videos.

On Panglao Island I got first problem:
wanted do film the Chocolate Hills and I lost the video connection between my iPhone 7 and the drone. Luckley I could see the bird and landed manually. I tried 3 times but always lost video connection and landed manually so I stopped.

The day after I got the second problem:
wanted to record the Alona Beach and check the video connection issue above. There I got the problem in the topic title. The Mavic showed a Compass error and I had to calibrate but it always failed because of "Magnetic interference". I moved 3 times of 10 meters but always the same problem.
Now I am on Boracay island and still I have the same problem. Tried 2 times on the White Beach, no metals near and I always got a Compass error, failed compass calibration because of magnetic interference. I could fligh just a bit with 5 meters of altitude, but the option return home point didn't work and I had to land manually.

It is a firmewire problem? or I do something wrong?
Can anyone please tell me more? I'm gonna stay in Boracay for holidays a week and really wish to use my Mavic Pro.
Thank you in advance!

Attached you can find some pics of what the App shows.

on the sensor settings

on the sensor settings
2017-1-29
Use props
Pesens
lvl.1

Philippines

Anyone has tips or answers?

I'd like to know why in two different places it always shows this problem..
2017-1-29
Use props
fans25a29b6b
lvl.1

United States

I have the same problem and got no were with dji tech support. I can fly it but it's not stable and I don't fly far. I'm just waiting for some new update that might fix it. Still looking for help, but it looks like we are not going to get it here!
2017-2-10
Use props
DroneFlying
lvl.4
Flight distance : 10774613 ft
United States

fans25a29b6b Posted at 2017-2-10 10:13
I have the same problem and got no were with dji tech support. I can fly it but it's not stable and I don't fly far. I'm just waiting for some new update that might fix it. Still looking for help, but it looks like we are not going to get it here!

Without knowing the details of your scenario it's not clear that you and the OP are having the same problem, but here's some information that may or may not help.

There's an iron ore called magnetite that's, "sometimes found in large quantities in beach sand". I can only speculate that the OP was on one such beach, in which case my advice would be to try to find a takeoff location well away from the sand where the "compass error" warning doesn't appear. You'd probably be fine after that even if you fly over the beach, at least assuming a reasonable / safe altitude. But I certainly wouldn't recommend recalibrating in a location like that, because the only time I personally have seen that message is when the aircraft is near the type of metallic / magnetic sources you're supposed to avoid during calibration. And for that matter, I wouldn't launch an aircraft having compass problems, especially not near other people and / or a large body of water.
2017-2-10
Use props
gjaden
lvl.1
United States

I had this error in Canadian Rockies today. Same magnetic error and calibrate GPS. As soon as I got back to the city the GPS worked normal again.

If and when this happens try to make sure you see your drone at all times so you can land it safely incase of a disconnection. I hope a firmware updates it also.
2017-3-2
Use props
tjalex
lvl.4
Flight distance : 422375 ft
  • >>>
Chile

fans25a29b6b Posted at 2017-2-10 10:13

I did had the paroblems. even when i was at huge grass field at a park.  the camera was blur at times. i removed the sd card and insert again. wooow. the problem was over. i dont know what happened but the sd card may be did not inserted perfectly. may be. but i solved my problems.
2017-6-13
Use props
djimavic
lvl.1
Flight distance : 179560 ft
Spain

a mi me pasa lo mismo.
solucion por favor
2017-7-20
Use props
jmmavic
New
Spain

Hello, I have the same problem (new mavic pro) ... I can not calibrate the compass ... I perform the horizontal process, and the light of the mavic goes green, I put it vertically and when I turn it, the lights go to yellow / red blinking ... also, the compass 1 always comes out as disconnected (interference) ... can someone come up with a solution?

Thank you very much.
jmmavic
2017-11-29
Use props
DroneFlying
lvl.4
Flight distance : 10774613 ft
United States

jmmavic Posted at 2017-11-29 13:56
Hello, I have the same problem (new mavic pro) ... I can not calibrate the compass ... I perform the horizontal process, and the light of the mavic goes green, I put it vertically and when I turn it, the lights go to yellow / red blinking ... also, the compass 1 always comes out as disconnected (interference) ... can someone come up with a solution?

Thank you very much.

A disconnected compass means a faulty Mavic; you should contact DJI about this and request a warranty replacement.
2017-11-29
Use props
jmmavic
New
Spain

Thx. I send an email to the DJI EU SUPPORT.

Regards,
2017-11-30
Use props
Griffith
lvl.4
Flight distance : 98537 ft
United States

GPS errors usually result in the Mavic going into ATTI mode, which is manageable if you stay in line of sight.  Compass errors can result in  complete lack of control - and possible disaster.

If you have a good compass calibration (within 100 miles or so), You could try hand launching from/near the beach.  Just be sure you hover at 10 feet for a while and do some nearby flying until you're sure it's working.
2017-11-30
Use props
fans39dc13b1
lvl.1

United States

I have the same problem.  App on iPhone tells me that before flying I need to calibrate compass.  But when I follow steps for compass calibration, I get an error message that says I cannot calibrate because of magnetic interference.  I tried to calibrate the compass even in an open field area, with a small wooden table about 3 feet high to ensure there was nothing in the ground, and after leaving my keys far away from me and from aircraft.  It's a Mavic 2 zoom that I just bought, but this issue prevents me from taking off.  Is there a way to bypass the issue and fly without a calibrated compass and in the presence of this mysterious magnetic interference?
2019-4-2
Use props
HedgeTrimmer
Second Officer
United States

fans39dc13b1 Posted at 4-2 06:44
I have the same problem.  App on iPhone tells me that before flying I need to calibrate compass.  But when I follow steps for compass calibration, I get an error message that says I cannot calibrate because of magnetic interference.  I tried to calibrate the compass even in an open field area, with a small wooden table about 3 feet high to ensure there was nothing in the ground, and after leaving my keys far away from me and from aircraft.  It's a Mavic 2 zoom that I just bought, but this issue prevents me from taking off.  Is there a way to bypass the issue and fly without a calibrated compass and in the presence of this mysterious magnetic interference?

Is there a way to bypass the issue and fly without a calibrated compass and in the presence of this mysterious magnetic interference?

Assuming for moment that compass is out of calibration, it would be a bad idea to attempt to fly your new Mavic 2.  

Normal compass calibration requires you to move drone around while calibrating, thus I do not understand what you were using small wooden table for.

2019-4-2
Use props
HedgeTrimmer
Second Officer
United States

HedgeTrimmer Posted at 4-2 07:53
Is there a way to bypass the issue and fly without a calibrated compass and in the presence of this mysterious magnetic interference?

Assuming for moment that compass is out of calibration, it would be a bad idea to attempt to fly your new Mavic 2.  

Video that shows three ways to calibrate Mavic compass.  Person demonstrates inside.  
Compass calibrations should be done  outside, at least 10-meters away from any sources of magnetic interference.

Another video on compass calibration

2019-4-2
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

fans39dc13b1 Posted at 4-2 06:44

Just a hint, try walking round clockwise with drone held out in front of you in the first position and repeat for second position.
Forget about twiddling around in your hands .
You will not be able to take off with M2 until you calibrate correctly.
2019-4-3
Use props
Андрей Филимонов
lvl.1

Latvia

The situation is as follows: when replacing the GPS module, it does not catch a single satellite (the icon in the application is gray - not active)! IMU calibrates perfectly, compass 2 is also normal. Error in application Navigation System Error - Check Redundancy State

thanks for the help
2019-11-12
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules