Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Phantom 4 Pro camera issues - overexposure.
9900 22 2017-1-29
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
ROBERTO SMERA
First Officer
Flight distance : 42619744 ft
  • >>>
Brazil

Since two days ago my camera started to behave like this. I always take my pictures in Aperture Priority and ISO fixed in 100. All photos are completely overexposed and impossible to recover in ACR. Also noticed that even the shutter speed in 1/200th of a second, the pictures shows some kind of strange blur. Any help or hint would be greatly appreciated.

Screen Shot 2017-01-29 at 10.57.46.png
Over.jpg
2017-1-29
Use props
TheMann58
Captain
Flight distance : 18669501 ft
  • >>>
United States

Roberto,

Is it only your photos that are coming out overexposed like this, or does the live image displayed on the DJI GO 4 app also look very overexposed all the time? If the live image is also overexposed all the time, you probably have the exposure adjustment set too high.  The exposure setting isn't displayed in the metadata displayed in your sample screen capture, so I can't confirm this is definitely the problem. But you can check the exposure value in the EXIF data of the photos you have taken to check this.

Check your exposure setting, which is displayed near the top of the right-hand side of your DJI GO 4 app screen.  The default neutral exposure value (EV) would be 0.0.  You may have accidentally changed this to a high positive value, such as +3.0 (very overexposed), which the DJI GO app does NOT automatically reset to 0.0 even after the P4P and its RC are power cycled.  If you need to change EV, ISO, shutter speed, etc., you do this by pressing in the right control wheel on the rear of the RC with your right index finger. With each push of the control wheel, the DJI GO app cycles to ISO, then EV, shutter speed, etc.  When you get to the camera setting you want to change, roll the wheel left or right.  Set the EV setting back to 0.0 and see if that gets your live video, photos and recorded video looking better.

Hope this helps.
2017-1-29
Use props
ROBERTO SMERA
First Officer
  • >>>
Brazil

TheMann58 Posted at 2017-1-29 16:07
Roberto,

Is it only your photos that are coming out overexposed like this, or does the live image displayed on the DJI GO 4 app also look very overexposed all the time? If the live image is also overexposed all the time, you probably have the exposure adjustment set too high.  The exposure setting isn't displayed in the metadata displayed in your sample screen capture, so I can't confirm this is definitely the problem. But you can check the exposure value in the EXIF data of the photos you have taken to check this.

Hi TheMann,

I just confirmed the issue is real. I have a second unit and did a test with the two cameras pointed at the same target and with the same exposure values in A (aperture priority) mode. The bad phantom camera always overexpose the pictures by +1.95 to +2.00 stops and all the highlights become badly washed out and unrecoverable in Photoshop. Already tried to format the SD card and reset the camera settings to no avail. Should I try to revert the firmware and then update again to the latest version? Thank you.
2017-1-30
Use props
Metron
lvl.1
United States

ROBERTO SMERA Posted at 2017-1-30 03:16
Hi TheMann,

I just confirmed the issue is real. I have a second unit and did a test with the two cameras pointed at the same target and with the same exposure values in A (aperture priority) mode. The bad phantom camera always overexpose the pictures by +1.95 to +2.00 stops and all the highlights become badly washed out and unrecoverable in Photoshop. Already tried to format the SD card and reset the camera settings to no avail. Should I try to revert the firmware and then update again to the latest version? Thank you.

I am having several issues with overexposures too,
something is clearly wrong with EV metering system,
I even had to replace the unit, yet issues are still similar.

1. If shooting in Auto mode, camera chooses iso, f-stop, shutter speed and EV=0,
I then switch to manual mode and choose the same three settings,
yet EV jumps to EV=-2 two full stops,
yet the unit before that would be showing EV=-2 and the image is already way overexposed,

2. Another issue is that EV changes depending on Color profile,
and I noticed switching from NONE to D-Log give sudden change of two full stops,

it is all confusing and does not make sense,
I tried to contact to DJI as well as the distributor, providing the results,
yet nobody is giving any answer

For a reference,
I own P3P and did all the same tests and P3P works consistently,
EV metering system is consistent based on three settings defining exposure.

yet P4P behaves erratically, and it depends if it is Auto/Manual mode,
Photo/Video mode, Color profile mode, too many variables

At this point I do not know if it is hardware or firmware/software issue.

I saw some videos when users toggle color profile on P4P and EV value stays the same,
so I am also wondering if it is related to firmware update.

Did you have any luck reverting firmware ?
(it is probably a hassle to do it though )
2017-2-7
Use props
Metron
lvl.1
United States

Metron Posted at 2017-2-7 20:34

and I also can see that if shooting in Aperture priority mode  it will automatically compensate those two stops and make the image overexposed,
I just did not test AV mode, since I always shoot in Manual
2017-2-7
Use props
CyFA
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1372369 ft
  • >>>
Cyprus

I had the exact same problems with overexposed and not so focused ... and later it just hanged like dead.
I downgraded and it seemed ok but a few flights later other problems appeared.
2017-2-7
Use props
WindSoul
lvl.4
Flight distance : 16 ft
Canada

shutter speed 1/200 is too long for regular apertures >f/14, on a sunny day. even at f/8 a time of 1/500 could lead to over exposure.
i own a p4 where the aperture stays at f/2.8 (yours is more versatile). is it possible that instead of aperture you do full manual? did you shift the ev manually?if the video looks ok, then maybe is just a setting.
2017-2-7
Use props
DJI_camera
lvl.1

Hong Kong

Tip: The post by the administrator or moderators shield
2017-3-2
Use props
EPT160
lvl.1
Flight distance : 373947 ft
Australia

Metron Posted at 2017-2-7 20:34

Roberto / Metron

Did you have any luck solving this 'over expose' issue?

I am now also having the issue. Images/histogram/exposure all look good when taking shots, but end up being 2+ stops over. Almost as if the aperture is not stopping down. However videos shot at same time with same settings are fine.

I have found that switching off the 'mechanical shutter' seems to correct the issue. But now wonder if
I have a failure with the mechanical shutter?
2017-3-19
Use props
Hooks
lvl.4
Flight distance : 226450 ft
Canada

I have a client with this issue currently and we are suspecting a bad mechanical shutter or Firmware related issue...  The problem started for this client just after updating to the latest firmware.  We may get a chance tomorrow to roll back the firmware to see if this cures the problem.  

I own a p4p myself and I have tried everything I can think of to replicate the issues that my client is experiencing.  I am on the latest firmware as well using the same IOS devices as my client.  If it is a firmware issue, I suspect it will be due to partially corrupted firmware.

We suspect the mechanical shutter because it is not making a click sound while taking photos despite the shutter being engaged in the settings.  The client compared the sound between a working p4p and the faulty p4p to confirm that the shutter was not firing.

I will post back when I learn more.
2017-4-5
Use props
ROBERTO SMERA
First Officer
  • >>>
Brazil

Hooks Posted at 2017-4-5 17:29
I have a client with this issue currently and we are suspecting a bad mechanical shutter or Firmware related issue...  The problem started for this client just after updating to the latest firmware.  We may get a chance tomorrow to roll back the firmware to see if this cures the problem.  

I own a p4p myself and I have tried everything I can think of to replicate the issues that my client is experiencing.  I am on the latest firmware as well using the same IOS devices as my client.  If it is a firmware issue, I suspect it will be due to partially corrupted firmware.

I just disabled the Mechanical Shutter and now the exposure is spot on without blown unrecoverable highlights. I think we may conclude it is an issue with mechanical shutter.
2017-4-6
Use props
Hooks
lvl.4
Canada

ROBERTO SMERA Posted at 2017-4-6 06:23
I just disabled the Mechanical Shutter and now the exposure is spot on without blown unrecoverable highlights. I think we may conclude it is an issue with mechanical shutter.

Yep, thats where we are as well.  This morning we tired refreshing the firmware and testing to no avail. Then we downgraded the firmware with no luck.  Finally upgrading firmware to the latest, the problem persists.  I was really hoping that something in the firmware had caused the issue and that this would solve it.

Looks like the unit will be heading back to the dealer.

I will continue to post back to this thread if I learn more.
2017-4-6
Use props
Hooks
lvl.4
Canada

ROBERTO SMERA Posted at 2017-4-6 06:23

Did your p4p start acting up after a firmware upgrade? Did the camera ever take any knocks that you know of?
2017-4-6
Use props
ROBERTO SMERA
First Officer
  • >>>
Brazil

Hooks Posted at 2017-4-6 10:18
Did your p4p start acting up after a firmware upgrade? Did the camera ever take any knocks that you know of?

No, the problem appeared after a random sequence of pictures and then the camera never functioned as it should anymore. When I disabled the mechanical shutter on menu the issue was solved. I do not use my Phantom to film so it will not go back to my dealear. I will live with that.
2017-4-6
Use props
Hooks
lvl.4
Canada

ROBERTO SMERA Posted at 2017-4-6 10:32
No, the problem appeared after a random sequence of pictures and then the camera never functioned as it should anymore. When I disabled the mechanical shutter on menu the issue was solved. I do not use my Phantom to film so it will not go back to my dealear. I will live with that.

Thanks for sharing your problem with us so we don't feel so alone in this.

I have linked this thread to another thread dealing with the issue.  link

2017-4-6
Use props
DJI P4 PRO USER
New
Philippines

Bro, in automatic setting.. try to click in ISO setting to uncheck(remove the blue color) then set it to ISO 100.  I just try it works fine. Let me know.thanks
2017-10-19
Use props
BlueBirdTN
Second Officer
Flight distance : 90686 ft
  • >>>
United States

So is this why the EV value cannot be changed when in Manual Mode.
2017-10-22
Use props
FREGADOLLI
lvl.1
Flight distance : 3772703 ft
  • >>>
Brazil

Hello, I'm from Brazil; The same problem is happening to me !!! I made all the updates; I switched cell phones; I changed memory; I reset a camera; and it continues the same way! Shoot in white the photo !! I do not know what else to do !
2018-10-22
Use props
Labroides
Captain
Flight distance : 9991457 ft
  • >>>
Australia

FREGADOLLI Posted at 2018-10-22 13:39
Hello, I'm from Brazil; The same problem is happening to me !!! I made all the updates; I switched cell phones; I changed memory; I reset a camera; and it continues the same way! Shoot in white the photo !! I do not know what else to do !

Have you read post #2 and checked that on yours?
That is the usual solution.
2018-10-22
Use props
ROBERTO SMERA
First Officer
  • >>>
Brazil

FREGADOLLI Posted at 2018-10-22 13:39

Hi Fregadolli,

The only way I found to avoid the overexposure issue in picture mode is to disable the mechanical shutter on camera menu.
2018-10-23
Use props
boggie
lvl.1

Serbia

Hi,

I must post here because I can't start a new thread...
I bought my P4P two years ago end never had a problem with it. But yesterday when I took a fly, I made some photos and video. Everything was nice on the display of my phone, but when i looked I put memory card in my laptop - what is happened!!??? Videos looks great, but still photos, overexposed, everything is washed...
I was disapointed, start reading forums and make I conclusion after reading some posts where users having the same problem that mechanical shutter don't working. When I turn off mechanical shutter everything is ok. I turn on, overexposed. Both auto mode, manual..
What now? My warranty expired.
I think that only way to fix this is to change the camera. But that is very expensive.
Live with this? Is there any differences between photos with and without mechanical shutter? I mostly shooting stacionary things, cities, panoramas, only sometimes moving subjects..
Enyone who has succeeded in solving this problem?
Thanks!
2019-1-6
Use props
ankit malaviya
New
Flight distance : 3 ft
India

sir i have same problem(overexposer image) arriving in few days .....i will trying everthing but nathing effort please sir give me solution if u have solving this problm..
2020-11-5
Use props
Labroides
Captain
Flight distance : 9991457 ft
  • >>>
Australia

ankit malaviya Posted at 11-5 21:33
sir i have same problem(overexposer image) arriving in few days .....i will trying everthing but nathing effort please sir give me solution if u have solving this problm..

See my answer here:
https://forum.dji.com/forum.php? ... 275&pid=2330391
2020-11-6
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules