Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
My '£3' mod to extend the life of the OSMO mobile iPhone 6S+ Combo
3219 4 2017-1-29
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
A1000
lvl.3
Flight distance : 149760 ft
United Kingdom

I have found that the OSMO mobile iPhone 6S+ combo has been sadly lacking in its ability to shoot for a decent amount of time due to a number of issues including: iPhone 6S+ cold weather battery performance; the power hungry nature of using the camera sensor for video.  I trialled a bit of a hack today which meant that I could video for a couple of hours at the CNY celebrations in London.

By using a 90-degree lightning cable I could attach the iPhone to a battery pack, in my case a RAVPower 16,750mAH pack in my pocket.  The challenge was the balance. Because the phone was further out of the clamp I had to attach a £2 coin and a £1 coin to the gimble to counterbalance.  But it all worked without any errors or the gimbal motor getting hot! Apologies for the poor quality pictures and the one that insists in displaying on its side no matter which orientation the original is! but it'll give you an idea.

FullSizeRender1.jpg
FullSizeRender2.jpg
IMG_6813.JPG
2017-1-29
Use props
LensmanDave
lvl.3

United Kingdom

Necessity is the mother of invention!  Brilliant job..and it will help a lot of people. Yep, I use the same battery pack for my phone with  Osmo+
2017-1-29
Use props
A1000
lvl.3
United Kingdom

LensmanDave Posted at 2017-1-29 09:27
Necessity is the mother of invention!  Brilliant job..and it will help a lot of people. Yep, I use the same battery pack for my phone with  Osmo+

Thanks Dave, it's a great battery pack and keeps me in power well over a busy day and isn't too heavy.  If I had been using my iPhone 5S or a straight 6S rather than the plus I probably wouldn't even need the counterweights so it would be even cheaper!
2017-1-29
Use props
DarrenG
lvl.3
United Kingdom

Can I ask which cable you used?  Wary of using non MFI cables due to the risk of blowing the charge IC and so far the only MFI one I can find (from Belkin) is huge, yours is a much lower profile.
2017-1-29
Use props
A1000
lvl.3
United Kingdom

DarrenG Posted at 2017-1-29 12:27
Can I ask which cable you used?  Wary of using non MFI cables due to the risk of blowing the charge IC and so far the only MFI one I can find (from Belkin) is huge, yours is a much lower profile.

I chose it after much searching, as you say the profile was important.  They come in a pack of 3 and seem to have good reviews.  Mine came from Amazon :

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B01IEQD4QS/
2017-1-29
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules