Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Judge how close you are to obstacles
1005 2 2017-1-29
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Egika
lvl.1
Flight distance : 379593 ft

Japan

I find it really difficult to judge from the FPV camera view how close the Mavic is to obstacles like tree branches or similar.
I know the lens is a 28mm equivalent wide angle that would show objects like being further away than they really are.
If I like to get close to objects for filming without touching them - How do you do this?

2017-1-29
Use props
DroneFlying
Captain
Flight distance : 10774613 ft
United States

When I first got my Mavic I spent some time deliberately flying it close to nearby obstacles and comparing the actual distance between the two to what I saw through FPV; that and just general experience seem to have made me better at judging those distances.

"I know the lens is a 28mm equivalent wide angle that would show objects like being further away than they really are."

For me, at least, it's the opposite: the FPV makes things seem closer than they really are, and that's probably a good thing because it causes me to fly more conservatively. For example, when I reviewed a video I took flying between two trees, the distance between them seemed almost impossibly small, though I clearly remembered that the Mavic had ample clearance.
2017-1-29
Use props
dronist
Captain
  • >>>
United States

DroneFlying Posted at 2017-1-29 16:56
When I first got my Mavic I spent some time deliberately flying it close to nearby obstacles and comparing the actual distance between the two to what I saw through FPV; that and just general experience seem to have made me better at judging those distances.

"I know the lens is a 28mm equivalent wide angle that would show objects like being further away than they really are."

For me, the first few times I was standing few feet  between the several trees. As I try moving around kept an eye on how the distance appears in the goggle and without the goggles. Later I start hovering above trees and try to descent and judge the distance with and without googles.

It all about getting your brain to get used the illusion but practice practice before you start taking chances.
2017-1-29
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules