CineSSD, what's inside.. can you upgrade it yourself?
123Next >
31166 92 2017-2-1
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Gybo102
lvl.4
Flight distance : 2426230 ft
United States

OH WOW! I can see now how I missed that.. that IS tiny. Thank you again!
2017-2-12
Use props
Octavian
lvl.2
Flight distance : 56158 ft
United States

Is noting more then an M.2 drive at which they added a proprietary connector. I bet it can be upgraded.
2017-2-15
Use props
fans2a18058b
New

United States

It's kind of like the bar that gives away beer for free but charges 20 bucks to use the bathroom!
2017-2-15
Use props
Coigreach
lvl.4
Flight distance : 546014 ft
Australia

Gybo102 Posted at 2017-2-12 19:20
OH WOW! I can see now how I missed that.. that IS tiny. Thank you again!

Ha ha & I thought a Torx T5 was small. I'm going to need binocular glasses pmsl....
Have you managed to get it opened up yet?
2017-2-15
Use props
Gybo102
lvl.4
United States

Octavian Posted at 2017-2-15 08:27
Is noting more then an M.2 drive at which they added a proprietary connector. I bet it can be upgraded.

please read all the above post, its not as simple as swapping out to another NVME drive. It either has to be the same exact part type / model.. or its firmware locked.
2017-2-15
Use props
visionrouge.net
lvl.4
United States

Gybo102 Posted at 2017-2-15 15:16
please read all the above post, its not as simple as swapping out to another NVME drive. It either has to be the same exact part type / model.. or its firmware locked.

Actually, going for 110 to 960 seems impossible.

And having a multi SSD drive setup with the 120GB or 480 GB is useless as these SSd are usless: you can't record video, and you can't get picture on it either. (or limited video and limited pictures)

So, The next step is to do it with a 960 or more and see if a simple exchange is possible.

wait and see.

If someone have a 960, can he post the close up picture of the SSD and we can find out the exact ref?

Thanks
2017-2-16
Use props
Puralist
lvl.2
United States

thomasakira Posted at 2017-2-2 12:21
Do you know if the proprietary board in the 120 gb cinessd is different from the board in the 240 and 480?

From the research I did a few weeks ago, I was able to find the identical board as shown in the pic.
2017-2-16
Use props
Mad_Angler1
Second Officer
Flight distance : 2741657 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Gents don't waist your time all of the DJI SSD have a custom firmware installed, you can not just replace the drives out, this has been the case since the Raw was release, yes they are standard drives with custom firmware.  
2017-2-17
Use props
visionrouge.net
lvl.4
Hong Kong

Mad_Angler1 Posted at 2017-2-17 12:23
Gents don't waist your time all of the DJI SSD have a custom firmware installed, you can not just replace the drives out, this has been the case since the Raw was release, yes they are standard drives with custom firmware.

I would love to check this, still...

I did a funny discover using a 120Gb drive in a drone without the licence in a computer without the DJI Assistant and I was able to "see" without any specific software the drive when I plugged my Inspire2 to the computer by usb.

But When I have installed the DJI app on my computer and the Codec for CineRaw (I'm not sure which one does the trick), it simply disappeared. I can still see it, but need some specific software..

2017-2-17
Use props
Mike-the-cat
lvl.4
Flight distance : 22488593 ft
  • >>>
Singapore

A man unwittingly climbed into a tiger enclosure in China while seeking a way to avoid paying for entrance fees. He ignored warning signs and the barbed wire (He paid for his wife and children). He was attacked and died. His family blamed the zoo for not making it hard enough for someone to break in.

What is being suggested here contravenes your user agreement with DJI. DJI knows who you are. Why continue posting?
2017-2-18
Use props
visionrouge.net
lvl.4
Hong Kong

Mike-the-cat Posted at 2017-2-18 06:22
A man unwittingly climbed into a tiger enclosure in China while seeking a way to avoid paying for entrance fees. He ignored warning signs and the barbed wire (He paid for his wife and children). He was attacked and died. His family blamed the zoo for not making it hard enough for someone to break in.

What is being suggested here contravenes your user agreement with DJI. DJI knows who you are. Why continue posting?

Well,

There is a difference between doing something dangerously stupid which including your life and talking about possible hack of a memory stick no?

Also, The GH4 hack or the Canon magic lantern hack have been largely discussed in many Canon forum without any trouble, as soon as you don't interfere with an existing product but bring more to DJI.
If you are happy with the speed of reading your CineSSD, please don't read this tread, don't blame people for trying to get the best of something already good.

Have a nice day
2017-2-19
Use props
visionrouge.net
lvl.4
Hong Kong

visionrouge.net Posted at 2017-2-19 00:27
Well,

There is a difference between doing something dangerously stupid which including your life and talking about possible hack of a memory stick no?

Btw,

* The first batch of pictures have been posted by DJI themselves and are widely available online, I have published the original link to avoid copyright claim. So, nothing secret here, no hacking, nothing as stupid as entering a tiger's cage.

* You cannot compare to a stupid Chinese from Ningbo trying to save 130 rmb, and even more stupid family demanding compensation to a simple question about what is inside a product you are buying. I have read in this very forum, way more stupid and dangerous hacks, to be honest.

*The subject of this thread is a question, and the answer is not given. DJI may be laughing reading it and very happy to see people buying ssd to try it knowing nothing will happened.

*And, as you complaining in another thread about how low the level of this forum become, you have to admit that my question is new here, at least...
* Yes, DJI knows who I am, I have no bad feeling about that, they also knows where I'm flying, when, and with which aircraft, maybe even a low version of my footage is been uploaded to their servers... If they have a problem with this post, they may contact me, I guess. You can rest for a while, calm down.

*My company name and website is my pseudo in this forum, I guess it's also another way to know who I am, even for someone as stupid as the story you mention earlier. DJI team members are way smarter than this, don't you think so?

*So, for all these reasons, I will continue posting on this forum, I hope you don't mind too much.

(Please upvote if you are agree, connect to my website and click some adv to provide me some cash and support me or even send me a coffee by paypal... all links are in my first post and I have no worries about DJI folowing them...)

2017-2-19
Use props
Mike-the-cat
lvl.4
  • >>>
Singapore

visionrouge.net Posted at 2017-2-19 01:13
Btw,

* The first batch of pictures have been posted by DJI themselves and are widely available online, I have published the original link to avoid copyright claim. So, nothing secret here, no hacking, nothing as stupid as entering a tiger's cage.

OK Jean, your post is somewhat reassuring.

Look nobody wants to pay more for hardware but as a boss of your own company, you need to earn money to feed yourself and family too no?

I say pay the piper his dues and if you don't like, go elsewhere or make your own stuff. You sound like you know what you are doing but does it make sense to encourage ,.. well you know.... Post on RC Groups if you must, they have a good community there....
2017-2-19
Use props
Mike-the-cat
lvl.4
  • >>>
Singapore

And oh yes, you have great faith in the common sense of people, I don't. You know what you are doing but encouraging some mutt to modify hardware (perhaps not the SSD but something else) could risk a mid air failure. I'm sure that man who went into the tiger enclosure wasn't planning on dying.
2017-2-19
Use props
fansa84fe8a4
lvl.4
Flight distance : 3 ft
United States

Mike-the-cat Posted at 2017-2-19 03:42
And oh yes, you have great faith in the common sense of people, I don't. You know what you are doing but encouraging some mutt to modify hardware (perhaps not the SSD but something else) could risk a mid air failure. I'm sure that man who went into the tiger enclosure wasn't planning on dying.

Guess I am one of your "mutts" who modified the DJI gear to work for studio flash then.

http://forum.dji.com/thread-76758-1-1.html

Don't care about the warranty matters, I just need the thing to do what I want since it can't in stock configuration.  I'll probably have to hack the Inspire 2 RC unit as well - and may post it here too.
2017-2-19
Use props
Conrad Jay
lvl.2
Flight distance : 484806 ft
Canada

visionrouge.net Posted at 2017-2-7 05:31
I just received it tonight and will try to order the similar memory.

Btw, did you knew that the 120 Gb model(and only this one) was not able to record video?

Ridiculous eh. Read more into it as the 480gb have more features? My agent I bought from said you want the 480 over the 120 or 240 for recoding reasons. Kinda lame and should be more obvious in specs
2017-2-20
Use props
ThePhantom
lvl.2

Norway

Subscr.......
2017-3-11
Use props
fans105c4f64
lvl.2
  • >>>
United States

I have to imagine that somewhere along the way dji assistant 2 would have to be able to repair firmware or load a firmware update to a cinessd. Wonder if it would be as simple as plugging in the transplanted ssd via the cinestation and activating assistant 2?
2017-3-11
Use props
Gybo102
lvl.4
United States

Conrad Jay Posted at 2017-2-20 21:15
Ridiculous eh. Read more into it as the 480gb have more features? My agent I bought from said you want the 480 over the 120 or 240 for recoding reasons. Kinda lame and should be more obvious in specs

The 480gb and 240gb share the same speeds, so other than capacity, they are identical... the 120gb is slower and is limited in certain resolutions / frame rates.

look at the charts towards the bottom... you will see how they differ.

120 gb page : http://store.dji.com/product/inspire-2-ssd-120#/?_k=0f9rc7

480 gb page: http://store.dji.com/product/inspire-2-ssd-480#/?_k=hnlqsm

Thats all
2017-3-11
Use props
Perspectrum
lvl.3
Flight distance : 6890879 ft
  • >>>
United States

I have been some digging on My SSD 240GB. All I see is a 14.9 GB Unallocated Partition.

Screenshot (3).png
2017-3-14
Use props
visionrouge.net
lvl.4
United States

I have updated my original post as I went a bit further in the investigation... please connect again and see...
Here is a glimps of my work...(don't try this if you don't know what you are doing)

Enjoy

CineStation

CineStation

inspire2 external output

inspire2 external output
2017-4-24
Use props
Skyclip
lvl.4
Flight distance : 347940 ft
  • >>>
Germany

visionrouge.net Posted at 2017-4-24 21:07
I have updated my original post as I went a bit further in the investigation... please connect again and see...
Here is a glimps of my work...(don't try this if you don't know what you are doing)

Great finding!
Keep up the good work.
2017-4-24
Use props
I 2 Fly
lvl.4
Flight distance : 8176 ft
South Africa

visionrouge.net Posted at 2017-4-24 21:07

Good work done!!  DJI is just milking too much!
2017-4-25
Use props
CascadeAP
New
United States

Someone mentioned in the visionrouge post that there may still be a way to get another ssd to work. According to them, there is a chip in the secondary dji board that records the serial number of the ssd on the first time it is plugged into an inspire or cinestation. This is it's first initialization. Perhaps by swapping the ssd before it is ever plugged into anything for the first time, you could trick it into recording the serial of the larger ssd first! If I had the money to spend on a brand new ssd, I would try it my self. Maybe someone here could try it? It sure would be nice to throw a 960G or higher into the I2...

Here is the original comment on the other post. FYI: I gathered all the above information from this comment, and have no verification of it's facts! This may or may not be accurate, but it would make sense.

"I don't think it will work or make sens. I saw that a brand new ssd is initialized at the first insertion in a Inspire or the reader. After that, the format is different than a fat32 or anything I saw before.
My understanding is the unique SSD serial number is copied at this time in the small chip and without a matching number on the checking sequence, the drive will be seen as "invalid"
I have tried a hot swap also, no more luck.
Either we can write another serial number to buy 120 gb ssd and upgrade one to 960gb, either we are able to bypass the check or give always a yes answer to this test and so swap drive on demand using the external setup showed on my post."
2017-7-5
Use props
Jaygrovr
lvl.1
Flight distance : 24993 ft
United States

CascadeAP Posted at 2017-7-5 10:27
Someone mentioned in the visionrouge post that there may still be a way to get another ssd to work. According to them, there is a chip in the secondary dji board that records the serial number of the ssd on the first time it is plugged into an inspire or cinestation. This is it's first initialization. Perhaps by swapping the ssd before it is ever plugged into anything for the first time, you could trick it into recording the serial of the larger ssd first! If I had the money to spend on a brand new ssd, I would try it my self. Maybe someone here could try it? It sure would be nice to throw a 960G or higher into the I2...

Here is the original comment on the other post. FYI: I gathered all the above information from this comment, and have no verification of it's facts! This may or may not be accurate, but it would make sense.

Can someone find out what the chip is that records the serial number?  Im guessing there is a way to reset this chip electrically every time no matter what.  It would still be cheaper to buy 120gb cinedrives and pop in a 1tb before first insertion and save you a buttload of money.

Jason
2017-7-11
Use props
visionrouge.net
lvl.4
Hong Kong

CascadeAP Posted at 2017-7-5 10:27

Please post original link before using someone else comment. Thanks
2017-7-15
Use props
visionrouge.net
lvl.4
Hong Kong

Jaygrovr Posted at 2017-7-11 13:48
Can someone find out what the chip is that records the serial number?  Im guessing there is a way to reset this chip electrically every time no matter what.  It would still be cheaper to buy 120gb cinedrives and pop in a 1tb before first insertion and save you a buttload of money.

Jason

This is where the chip is...
CineSSD back view dji inside video uav in china chip.jpg
2017-7-15
Use props
hartmand3
lvl.1
Flight distance : 693494 ft
Canada

Hello, I'm in a predicament and on a tight timeline and I'm hoping you tech savvy fold can help me out.

I rush ordered a 480 GB SSD and SSD reader for my X5S but they send me the reader for the X5R. I don't think I'll have time to get the proper reader shipped before I head out so I'm wondering if there is a way to get the footage off the SSD without the corresponding reader from DJI. Any help would be greatly appreciated. I have today to figure this out

Many thanks!
2017-8-12
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
Flight distance : 7 ft
  • >>>

hartmand3 Posted at 2017-8-12 06:48
Hello, I'm in a predicament and on a tight timeline and I'm hoping you tech savvy fold can help me out.

I rush ordered a 480 GB SSD and SSD reader for my X5S but they send me the reader for the X5R. I don't think I'll have time to get the proper reader shipped before I head out so I'm wondering if there is a way to get the footage off the SSD without the corresponding reader from DJI. Any help would be greatly appreciated. I have today to figure this out

Sorry for the trouble that has been caused, but the footage in SSD card can only be exported by its own CINESSD Station.
Would you please provide the order number? I will help to confirm with Sales Team. Thanks.
2017-8-14
Use props
KAMIKAZEUA
lvl.1
Flight distance : 434646 ft

Ukraine

visionrouge.net Posted at 2017-7-15 06:03
This is where the chip is...

Atmel At88SC3216
2017-10-15
Use props
FlyThroughFilms
lvl.1

United Kingdom

Awesome bit of reseach - many thanks for this. We were wondering exactly the same thing... why not make a USB-C Reader.....DJI?
2018-1-14
Use props
visionrouge.net
lvl.4
Hong Kong

Thanks, This chip also has been used on other DJI product actually, for Naza M
I don't think I can post more myself here, but google is you friend.
2018-5-5
Use props
mayduavongts
New

Vietnam

Great question! I like this! http://anthaison.vn/sp/may-dua-vong-tu-dong-ts/
2018-6-14
Use props
Perspectrum
lvl.3
Flight distance : 6890879 ft
  • >>>
United States

I opened my 480GB Cinessd for the Inspire 2 the other day and noticed something interesting. I found the serial number on the SSD and did some digging on it. The Samsung M.2 SSDs have the capacity in the serial number. The serial number on my 480GB card has a 1T on it. This means its a 1TB not a 500gb. I just wonder if the 240 GB CineSSDs are 1TB also.
2018-7-26
Use props
visionrouge.net
lvl.4
United States

Perspectrum Posted at 2018-7-26 04:34
I opened my 480GB Cinessd for the Inspire 2 the other day and noticed something interesting. I found the serial number on the SSD and did some digging on it. The Samsung M.2 SSDs have the capacity in the serial number. The serial number on my 480GB card has a 1T on it. This means its a 1TB not a 500gb. I just wonder if the 240 GB CineSSDs are 1TB also.

On the low 128G version, it's not the case, but that's shows that DJI really have a software limitation more than a hardware if they only have one kind of drive formatted in different capacity.
Nice finding!
2018-7-26
Use props
GS59Clark
lvl.1
Flight distance : 220581 ft
  • >>>

With the size and speed of the microSD available now is there really an advantage to the CNIESSD? If it's using the usb 3 bus then there really isn't any advantage I can see.
2019-10-12
Use props
sincabeza
lvl.4
Flight distance : 2508911 ft
  • >>>
Ukraine

subscribed
2019-10-18
Use props
GAVIN BENJAMIN
lvl.1
Flight distance : 97575 ft
Canada

This all sounds similar to another known situation, if I was in this situation and looking for any progress I would reach out this https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCaXkBP-tPP-gIYXdABi7vjA
2019-10-19
Use props
visionrouge.net
lvl.4
Hong Kong

GAVIN BENJAMIN Posted at 10-19 08:22
This all sounds similar to another known situation, if I was in this situation and looking for any progress I would reach out this guy

Yes, both system host regular SSD inside an enclosure to make sure they made money out of the media.
But RED story goes way further with many lies about their product as well.
RED was saying it was made in the USA when it was not, and their mag are just a simple enclosure.
They were also saying that it was specific SSD where it was just regular one's.
DJI, here, have installed a memory chip to make sure you can't exchange the SSD.
2019-10-22
Use props
imagine
lvl.1
Flight distance : 160105 ft

Denmark

Hey Guys! Did anyone ever got it to work? - Buying a brand new Cinessd and replacing the internal ssd component with lets say a 2TB version instead before booting it up for the first time? Will it work with the inspire 2?
2020-11-22
Use props
123Next >
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules