Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Alpine Aerials - Taking first steps with the Mavic
1357 10 2017-2-1
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
trickn0l0gy
lvl.1
Flight distance : 156040 ft
Switzerland

Hello,

So, finally, I have finished my first drone video. It was filmed in Switzerland and Austria. I am still new to the game and thus, you will probably find quite a few flaws and room for improvement. I sure did.  =)

Here's the video:

Things, that I will fix for the next video:
  • the green line at the bottom is a bug caused by Pinnacle 20 when you use hardware acceleration on export.
  • my gimbal seems to be not 100% horizontally balanced on some of the recordings. Calibration helped with that, but not completely. To be 100% level I have to manually correct gimbal roll by +1.0.
  • maybe increase bitrate for the videos to get rid of compression artifacts.
  • get ND/CP filters to help with glare from snow.

Any other suggestions?

Thank you!

2017-2-1
Use props
A1000
lvl.4
Flight distance : 149760 ft
United Kingdom

Good starting point and some nice footage.  I'm guessing the city at the beginning was Zurich?  Like you I have a lot to learn and am going to invest in ND filters as they're almost essential for decent footage, especially when you have high contrast such as snow, or direct/low sunlight.  Getting smooth movements on the Mavic is important and comes with practice. Like you I saw some compression artifacts at 4K but probably a mixture of ND and higher bit rate will solve this.

You're lucky to have such beautiful countryside to practice in! Keep up the good work.
2017-2-1
Use props
trickn0l0gy
lvl.1
Switzerland

Thanks for your feedback. Yes, you are right. The city is Zürich, Switzerland. I live 5 mins on foot from the botanic garden. It's lovely here.

I just bought a set of filters ND/CP. Hope to be able to test them soon.
2017-2-1
Use props
A1000
lvl.4
Flight distance : 149760 ft
United Kingdom

Look forward to seeing some more footage with the ND filters!
2017-2-1
Use props
Irish
lvl.1

United States

Nice vid.  Love the locations
2017-2-1
Use props
trickn0l0gy
lvl.1
Switzerland

A1000 Posted at 2017-2-1 05:33
Look forward to seeing some more footage with the ND filters!

So, here is some footage from last Saturday, using the Polar filter to compensate for snow glare. Did not have much time to do a proper POI recording, so I rushed it via manual controls. Still happy with the result. Let me know what you think:

https://vimeo.com/trickn0l0gy/laaxgrischun

Cheers!
2017-3-13
Use props
Kalibr
lvl.4
Flight distance : 59416 ft
United States

Really nice job, especially the skiing footage. The ND filters will definitely provide more control of ISO and shutter.
2017-3-13
Use props
Snap_Shot
lvl.1
United States

Nice vid! I love seeing the people on here from different countries and the places they live, beautiful! I would invest in some filters.
2017-3-13
Use props
NoSale
lvl.4
Flight distance : 460958 ft
United States

trickn0l0gy Posted at 2017-3-13 04:35
So, here is some footage from last Saturday, using the Polar filter to compensate for snow glare. Did not have much time to do a proper POI recording, so I rushed it via manual controls. Still happy with the result. Let me know what you think:

https://vimeo.com/trickn0l0gy/laaxgrischun

Nice follow up video.

What filter did you use?  ND or PL/ND and what stop lowering value?  

I thought your first video without ND was actually very good and had nice color saturation; especially after I learned you had no filters.  The video using a filter seemed to be cooler in color saturation (more blue cast).  Were you using Sunny or Custom white balance settings?

Appreciate the video and information.  It helps us all to learn......
2017-3-13
Use props
trickn0l0gy
lvl.1
Switzerland

NoSale Posted at 2017-3-13 06:15
Nice follow up video.

What filter did you use?  ND or PL/ND and what stop lowering value?  

Thanks for your feedback. I used a PL/ND filter, giving me 2 stops. But the polarisation was more important to me (glare reduction).

Mind you, not all of the recorded scenes are taken with the Mavic. Some are iPhone 6S and 7.

Also, the whole video is color corrected to achieve the "blockbuster" look with a strong blue and desaturated yellows. My previous video had no color correction since the raw data was already looking so beautiful. But when you're in snow, I like to have a different look.

Cheers!
2017-3-13
Use props
Haneyca
Second Officer
United States

Great video! I really liked the skiers!
2017-3-13
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules