Mavic running temperature too high?
3744 23 2017-2-1
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
ChopSticks
lvl.1

United States

So  the manual says don't fly out of 0-40c, but after flying mines around  4-5c (~40F) I checked the battery temperature and it was 45c+ eventually  hitting around ~48? I have a buddy that literally got his drone a day  before mines and he was flying 3-5 degrees lower than mines at all  times. Any idea why mines would be hotter? defective drone?
  EDIT: my gimbal cover was off
  and for some reason my batteries total/full capacity was around 3800 where his was over 3900?

2017-2-1
Use props
ChopSticks
lvl.1

United States

anybody willing to post what their battery temps are at while running?
2017-2-6
Use props
Egika
lvl.2
Flight distance : 379593 ft

Hong Kong

Did you fly the same route at the same speed?
The battery's temperature is supposed to increase with higher current draw.
2017-2-6
Use props
BuzzCut
lvl.4

United States

Yeah, I don't think that's crazy high if you're giving it a good run.

In colder temps I'd take a hotter battery than a cooler battery any day.  That way it stays in the air.  I like the fact that one whole side of the battery rests on the internals and stays somewhat toasty in cold whether.
2017-2-7
Use props
ChopSticks
lvl.1

United States

Egika Posted at 2017-2-6 17:05
Did you fly the same route at the same speed?
The battery's temperature is supposed to increase with higher current draw.

Not exactly the same route, but we were standing right next to each other in the park. When I noticed the temp getting real high and the variance between both we switched to new batteries at the same exact time and checked the temperature again which I was still a few degrees (C) higher than his
2017-2-7
Use props
ChopSticks
lvl.1

United States

BuzzCut Posted at 2017-2-7 05:40
Yeah, I don't think that's crazy high if you're giving it a good run.

In colder temps I'd take a hotter battery than a cooler battery any day.  That way it stays in the air.  I like the fact that one whole side of the battery rests on the internals and stays somewhat toasty in cold whether.

Yeah, but for the most part I'll be using this on a month long vacation in SEA and just worried about it over heating as temps will probably be nearing 90-100 (F).
2017-2-7
Use props
BuzzCut
lvl.4

United States

ChopSticks Posted at 2017-2-7 08:38
Yeah, but for the most part I'll be using this on a month long vacation in SEA and just worried about it over heating as temps will probably be nearing 90-100 (F).

I understand.  I guess what I'm saying is that there isn't necessarily an issue as the battery get hot even in cold temps.  LiPos need to run hot for conductivity, so there isn't necessarily an issue.

The only way I can think of to test it (short of flying somewhere warm) is to do an indoor hovering test (usual warnings about flying indoors apply).

My logic for suggesting this is you'll at least get to test in ambient temperatures of around 70F, so you can see if the battery temps scale.  Also, since the Mavic appears to drain the battery more when hovering than it does under moderate movement you'll be testing the battery under a decent load.  Combine this with the fact that the Mavic relies on both active and passive cooling, and that - with no breeze or movement in an indoors hovering test - you'll be limiting passive cooling.

This (along with testing using an IR thermometer or something similar) and you'll be able to see if there's a dangerous scaling in temps.  Just a thought.
2017-2-7
Use props
fans1b1ce9fb
New
United States

BuzzCut Posted at 2017-2-7 08:49
I understand.  I guess what I'm saying is that there isn't necessarily an issue as the battery get hot even in cold temps.  LiPos need to run hot for conductivity, so there isn't necessarily an issue.

The only way I can think of to test it (short of flying somewhere warm) is to do an indoor hovering test (usual warnings about flying indoors apply).

hm alright I'll try this when I get home, any idea what the max temperature the battery can handle? Was just worried since the difference was so great compared to the exact same drone that was received a day or so after mines. and have been seeing a lot of stories about people getting battery surges and the mavic landing itself, just want to make sure the temp thing is good before I start flying over water / random places. will report back soon
2017-2-7
Use props
BuzzCut
lvl.4

United States

fans1b1ce9fb Posted at 2017-2-7 17:24
hm alright I'll try this when I get home, any idea what the max temperature the battery can handle? Was just worried since the difference was so great compared to the exact same drone that was received a day or so after mines. and have been seeing a lot of stories about people getting battery surges and the mavic landing itself, just want to make sure the temp thing is good before I start flying over water / random places. will report back soon

Cool.  Probably even more reason to do a controlled test indoors at a low height.

I've generally heard 140F and that they generally operate better at this temp, but that they can fail above that, and at what temp the life is dramatically decreased I have no idea.  Also not sure if the Mavic pack is different than a general lipo since it contains some circuitry.  Hopefully a mod can jump in and respond.

Good luck!
2017-2-7
Use props
ChopSticks
lvl.1

United States

BuzzCut Posted at 2017-2-7 19:54
Cool.  Probably even more reason to do a controlled test indoors at a low height.

I've generally heard 140F and that they generally operate better at this temp, but that they can fail above that, and at what temp the life is dramatically decreased I have no idea.  Also not sure if the Mavic pack is different than a general lipo since it contains some circuitry.  Hopefully a mod can jump in and respond.

Ugh... if they can fail at 140F not sure how confident I am about these batteries anymore, here are the results:

Batteries have been in my apartment all day and once fired up read:
4.30v - 12.9v - 25.3C(77.5F)

Flew until the batteries reached about 25% ~20 min flight time in tripod mode (my living room is pretty small)

For some reason if I was rotating via yaw the drone would not stay hovering and would drift on (is this a known issue?)

Anyhow, temperatures increased .1C every 5-8 seconds for the first 50% or so. Once temperatures were around 50C they would increase .1C every 1-4 seconds

After about 75%-80% battery and 20min flight time the stats were
3.66-7v - 11.1v - 55.6C(132.08F)

I'm almost certain if I'd drain the battery down to 5% that it'd probably get over the 140F mark so what can I do to prevent failure around this temp? It's probably too late to do a RMA since my trip is in 3 weeks and most posts I've seen says it takes a little bit longer to get the drone back. Also, the average temp where I'll be is closer to 32C(90F) so with the temperature increases observed, it would be probably reach 140 before 20% battery out there. (1200 secs / 4(avg increase) = +30C or 32+30 =62?)
2017-2-8
Use props
BuzzCut
lvl.4

United States

ChopSticks Posted at 2017-2-8 08:46
Ugh... if they can fail at 140F not sure how confident I am about these batteries anymore, here are the results:

Batteries have been in my apartment all day and once fired up read:

Good test - love how you scaled it with time.

Were you measuring from the app or with a thermometer?  I'm not sure I trust the app to be completely accurate and may be over-estimating the temps.  One way to check... get it in the air and fly it just long enough to get a stable temp reading, then land it, take the battery off and shoot the underside of the battery.  It may be that when the device says the temp is 'x' that the thermometer reads 'x-20%'.  Worth checking.

I'd ask a mod to weigh in regarding expected temps to experience failure with this particular pack.

Drifting is possible and expected in certain circumstances.  With regard to drifting, my guess is that you didn't have (or at some point lost) GPS lock since you were indoors, and either couldn't get VPS lock because of light conditions or lack of a pattern on the floor, thus went into ATTI mode.  This is common and is one of the reasons for all of the caveats around flying indoors.  More important with Tripod mode, because if the craft suddenly switches to normal mode it can react much faster than you were expecting.  A bunch of good threads on this which may be worth a look.

Finally, can you get access to another battery to compare, even if somebody can lend you one?

Edit: Best Buy is showing batteries can be delivered by Feb 16.  Not sure when you're trip is... or since it's a month long maybe get a battery shipped to your destination?  Just a thought.
2017-2-8
Use props
WYHSniper1007
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1003822 ft
  • >>>
United States

It should be normal when it is flying
2017-2-8
Use props
ChopSticks
lvl.1

United States

BuzzCut Posted at 2017-2-8 09:04
Good test - love how you scaled it with time.

Were you measuring from the app or with a thermometer?  I'm not sure I trust the app to be completely accurate and may be over-estimating the temps.  One way to check... get it in the air and fly it just long enough to get a stable temp reading, then land it, take the battery off and shoot the underside of the battery.  It may be that when the device says the temp is 'x' that the thermometer reads 'x-20%'.  Worth checking.

Thanks, I don't have a thermometer so all readings were via dji go 4 app. Just kind of sucks no one else is sharing their battery temps people fly every day and it's just a couple taps on the screen

I'll try to pick up a thermometer if I can find one around here and test again but at this point there's definitely no time left to do RMA.

As for the drifting, believe I was in ATTI mode the whole time, didn't notice it switching back and forth. not sure how lighting could affect it in this situation since it hovers perfectly fine at the start. But if I rotate it a little it starts drifting. Not moving it back or forth or left and right just rotating which the floor pattern and lighting would be the same no?

I have the fly more combo so this temp has occurred with all 3 batteries. As previously mentioned when I noticed the high temps the first time around me and a buddy put in our second batteries to compare and it was still higher {:4_157:}
2017-2-10
Use props
ChopSticks
lvl.1

United States

WYHSniper1007 Posted at 2017-2-8 12:08
It should be normal when it is flying

what should be normal? apologies for the confusion
2017-2-10
Use props
WYHSniper1007
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1003822 ft
  • >>>
United States

ChopSticks Posted at 2017-2-10 10:24
what should be normal? apologies for the confusion

Like when it is flying the wind will cool down
2017-2-10
Use props
ChopSticks
lvl.1

United States

WYHSniper1007 Posted at 2017-2-10 11:23
Like when it is flying the wind will cool down

When the high battery temp originally was notice it was 4-5c out with a light wind and the battery still reached +48C. I don't foresee much wind in South East Asia (SEA) to lower the average temp from 80-90F
2017-2-10
Use props
BuzzCut
lvl.4

United States

ChopSticks Posted at 2017-2-10 10:23
Thanks, I don't have a thermometer so all readings were via dji go 4 app. Just kind of sucks no one else is sharing their battery temps people fly every day and it's just a couple taps on the screen

I'll try to pick up a thermometer if I can find one around here and test again but at this point there's definitely no time left to do RMA.

It will drift in ATTI mode.  No GPS to give it a reference point for 'here'.  In vision mode (or whatever it's called) it can determine a pattern in the floor and use that instead.

Bummer if no time for an RMA.  Last ditch thought... tried cleaning the battery connection point on the craft?  That's a real long shot though.  I'm flying (as usual) otherwise I'd Log some temps from the app.  I'all try to do this tomorrow if no one else can.
2017-2-10
Use props
ChopSticks
lvl.1

United States

BuzzCut Posted at 2017-2-10 16:56
It will drift in ATTI mode.  No GPS to give it a reference point for 'here'.  In vision mode (or whatever it's called) it can determine a pattern in the floor and use that instead.

Bummer if no time for an RMA.  Last ditch thought... tried cleaning the battery connection point on the craft?  That's a real long shot though.  I'm flying (as usual) otherwise I'd Log some temps from the app.  I'all try to do this tomorrow if no one else can.

hm I've had it drift a lot in GPS mode too. I was on top of a roof in the city if that matters, freaked out and had to pull it up high from hitting anything. Wouldn't even land smoothly either. Good thing the roof had a patch of fake grass.

I'll def clean the connection points before I fly out. No rush on the temps as there's really no turning back now, just let me know whenever you get a chance, it'd just be more for peace of mind at the moment. Thanks for everything again
2017-2-13
Use props
fans2b75c050
lvl.2

United States

Flew my MAVIC for 20 mins in 49f weather. Battery was warm with a reading of 29c. Hope this helps.
Was flying slow
2017-2-13
Use props
ChopSticks
lvl.1

United States

fans2b75c050 Posted at 2017-2-13 13:03
Flew my MAVIC for 20 mins in 49f weather. Battery was warm with a reading of 29c. Hope this helps.
Was flying slow

Thanks for the feedback, was the 29C consistent or just the end reading?
2017-2-14
Use props
fans2b75c050
lvl.2

United States

ChopSticks Posted at 2017-2-14 07:07
Thanks for the feedback, was the 29C consistent or just the end reading?

Hi
  It was the end reading. I did a test inside today and battery's temp reached 39c. Probably from just hovering and no air speed to cool MAVIC and battery. What's the highest you have seen your battery ?
2017-2-15
Use props
ChopSticks
lvl.1

United States

fans2b75c050 Posted at 2017-2-15 16:28
Hi
  It was the end reading. I did a test inside today and battery's temp reached 39c. Probably from just hovering and no air speed to cool MAVIC and battery. What's the highest you have seen your battery ?

The highest I've reached was around 56C at the end of a flight and ~58C after sitting for a minute or two after the same flight

http://forum.dji.com/forum.php?m ... 10&page=1#pid685217

How long did you do the inside test for?
2017-2-16
Use props
fans2b75c050
lvl.2

United States

ChopSticks Posted at 2017-2-16 07:14
The highest I've reached was around 56C at the end of a flight and ~58C after sitting for a minute or two after the same flight

http://forum.dji.com/forum.php?m ... 10&page=1#pid685217

Hi
  I hovered for around 7mins. I did see it steadily increase as time went by.
2017-2-16
Use props
djiuser_6QZ9QeO
lvl.1
Flight distance : 127625 ft
Australia

I just finished a flight and the battery temp was showing 63c by the end of the flight. The temp out side is currently 37c and i was flying in sports mode the distance travelled on the flight was 8km?
2017-12-31
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules