Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Air craft disconnected while hovering 200 m above me
973 6 2017-2-2
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Rickyrivers75
New

United States

So I have a phantom 3 advanced I flew it today and the rc lost connection with the drone when it was about 150-200 meters directly above me. Battery was at 35-40% I tried pressing return to home in app and did not get a response. Nor did the aircraft go home. Which is what I have it set to when I lose connection. It wasn't until 5 or so minutes later that battery reached critically low 15% or so and stared descending only then did I regain connection. It was the first time I tried the range extenders and first time this happened. When I looked at the flight log I noticed the battery jumped from 35% to 18 %
Help DJI please.
2017-2-2
Use props
eliot may
lvl.4
Flight distance : 245367 ft
United States

did you consider that if the tips of the antennae are pointing directly at the aircraft you will get the worst possible signal? often we keep our antennae pointing up so the bird over your head is the worst possible place for maintaining connection
2017-2-2
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Flight distance : 165105 ft
Canada

It's best to keep the drone out ahead of your position, and not flying directly overhead.

What were you doing, taking a selfie? Haha

RedHotPoker
2017-2-2
Use props
Mark The Droner
Captain
Flight distance : 2917 ft
United States

Yeah the first problem is because you have the antennas oriented incorrectly.  For example, if the AC was 200 meters in front of you, would you tilt the control  antenna so you're pointing it at the AC like a rifle?  No you wouldn't.  

The second problem is what happens sometimes with an intermittent signal.  It doesn't get your message to RTH because the message was broken up, but the signal is too strong to RTH on its own.  What to do?  You could turn off the controller.  Then Fail Safe will engage for sure.  

Remember that an RTH doesn't work within 20 meters of the home point.  Instead it lands wherever it is.  So you may have to take control and steer it in a bit as it comes down.

Hope this helps.
2017-2-2
Use props
Rickyrivers75
New

United States

I was flying it back to land it. It's strange to me because I didn't lose signal at 2,500 M and I guess it wasn't directly over head but about 10-20 meters out.
2017-2-2
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
Flight distance : 7 ft
  • >>>

Rickyrivers75 Posted at 2017-2-2 07:46
I was flying it back to land it. It's strange to me because I didn't lose signal at 2,500 M and I guess it wasn't directly over head but about 10-20 meters out.

It's almost above head directly.
Please refer to the screenshot to adjust the antenna and see if it's the same or not. antenna.png
2017-2-3
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

Rickyrivers75 Posted at 2017-2-2 07:46

Nothing strange about it, and adjusting trhe antennas will not help much either. The problem is the antennas in the aircraft are in a really bad position when the aircraft is above you.
2017-2-3
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules