4998 19 2017-2-2
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
fans825c0532
lvl.4
Flight distance : 341355 ft
  • >>>
Canada

Saw this video, and it seems this person on youtube experienced something called battery over charge current with his mavic, he had a first flight, but then, the second battery somehow did this and it went descending into the water.

Anyone with similar case? what might have caused this? Preventions?
2017-2-2
Use props
fans825c0532
lvl.4
  • >>>
Canada

2017-2-2
Use props
BarrettF77
lvl.2
Flight distance : 565459 ft
United States

DJI quality FTW

Sorry for your loss.  Always sucks
2017-2-2
Use props
Vixus
lvl.2

United States

Had the same problem when I was flying in cold weather and I didn't preheat the battery. Exactly the same thing happened. It started decending and I couldn't even steer it. Check the logs. My battery life dropped super fast (from 100% to 30% in 3-5 minutes). Luckily the drone landed in the neighbor's backyard and managed to recover it. Make sure that you preheat everything before flying in cold weather.

Sorry for your loss.
2017-2-2
Use props
AlanOne
lvl.1
Flight distance : 2163468 ft
Germany

Had the battery over charge current error today, too. But I was able to continue flying. Quickly returned home and changed the battery.  This was in cold weather @ 3°C or  37°F and high winds. Never had that error message coming up before and I flew at colder temperatures. DJI any idea?
2017-2-2
Use props
D_jan_i
lvl.3
Flight distance : 562802 ft
United States

I had the same issue several times but I never had a severe situation  - got it today at 50% and I was still flying till 24% without any fast battery level dropping - was cold and very windy
2017-2-2
Use props
fans759a36b6
lvl.1
Flight distance : 242133 ft
Australia

Feel really sorry you, i am worried same thing happens to me to, as i think the software DJI GO4  still have many bugs that have not been flatted out yet!
2017-2-2
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
Flight distance : 7 ft
  • >>>

AlanOne Posted at 2017-2-2 15:21
Had the battery over charge current error today, too. But I was able to continue flying. Quickly returned home and changed the battery.  This was in cold weather @ 3°C or  37°F and high winds. Never had that error message coming up before and I flew at colder temperatures. DJI any idea?

Were you flying aggressively like full throttle when this occurred?
Did you fly in Sport mode or P mode?
2017-2-2
Use props
fans06b77ccc
lvl.3
Flight distance : 1905381 ft
United States

This error message appears to be caused by a combination of flying in very cold weather and aggressive flying.. In same cases it was questioned if prop icing was also a problem. If you look at the dat files, typically GPS (slower)  flight total current is around 8 amps. Flying aggressively in sport mode,, may hit a bit over 20 amps. Sport mode with a cold battery when flying very aggressivly could exceed close to 30 amps giving this message.
2017-2-6
Use props
fans825c0532
lvl.4
  • >>>
Canada

fans06b77ccc Posted at 2017-2-6 05:59
This error message appears to be caused by a combination of flying in very cold weather and aggressive flying.. In same cases it was questioned if prop icing was also a problem. If you look at the dat files, typically GPS (slower)  flight total current is around 8 amps. Flying aggressively in sport mode,, may hit a bit over 20 amps. Sport mode with a cold battery when flying very aggressivly could exceed close to 30 amps giving this message.

interesting.
2017-2-6
Use props
shirty
lvl.1

Australia

I had the same error over the weekend, different end of the temp spectrum. I was flying in hot weather, mid 30's c (about 95'ish F) I think I was flying in sports mode at the time, nothing seemed to change in terms of the Mavic flying. From now reading this, maybe it was just saying it was too hot, and I was pushing it too hard?? Very thankful (and lucky) it didn't result in a crash
2017-2-6
Use props
fans06b77ccc
lvl.3
Flight distance : 1905381 ft
United States

shirty Posted at 2017-2-6 17:49
I had the same error over the weekend, different end of the temp spectrum. I was flying in hot weather, mid 30's c (about 95'ish F) I think I was flying in sports mode at the time, nothing seemed to change in terms of the Mavic flying. From now reading this, maybe it was just saying it was too hot, and I was pushing it too hard?? Very thankful (and lucky) it didn't result in a crash

Ahhh....I envy you with th warm weather!  Your error may have been the result of a combination of fast flying and turning or climbing at the same time. If you twke a look at you dat file, current in the high 20amp range seem to trigger this error. Not sure exactly what the threshold is.
2017-2-6
Use props
Bent Kangaroo
lvl.4
Flight distance : 362510 ft
Australia

I think icing would give the result in the video.
As AC losing alt with less efficient props,, the system feeds more juice to try to correct.
Iced props also need more power to rotate as they are less aerodynamic.
2017-2-7
Use props
fans90d4f438
lvl.3
Flight distance : 451335 ft
United States

Flying outside of DJI's documented temp ranges are a big factor in this occurring
2017-2-7
Use props
Angelo26
lvl.4
Flight distance : 799718 ft
Austria

GUIDELINES ON HOW TO FLY IN COLD WEATHER:
(I flew my Mavic without ANY problems in P and Sport-mode at  -10°C for 25 minutes several times, a Canadian -search on Youtube - at -20°C)

1. Keep the batteries as close as possible to Your body under the warm coat when You leave home

2. Fire up RC and smartphone so that they are ready for connection to Mavic. You have bad luck if You own an iPhone: it will be empty and batt quits after some minutes outside, so You can only fly by RC

3. Take out the Mavic-battery from Your coat, insert it into Mavic and switch Mavic on immediately.

4. Make Your preflight checks (system status OK), wait for GPS-lock ("hompoint recorded") and then T/O immediately.

Battery will keep temp at about 20-25°C by using it to fly, Your iPhone will stop working and You will freeze Your hands to numbness .........

HAVE FUN !
2017-2-7
Use props
Bent Kangaroo
lvl.4
Flight distance : 362510 ft
Australia

Angelo26 Posted at 2017-2-7 05:02
GUIDELINES ON HOW TO FLY IN COLD WEATHER:
(I flew my Mavic without ANY problems in P and Sport-mode at  -10°C for 25 minutes several times, a Canadian -search on Youtube - at -20°C)

Icing of blades is not helped by a warn battery.
What was the humidity when you flew at -10C?
Did you fly over water like the video above in such temps?

2017-2-7
Use props
Angelo26
lvl.4
Flight distance : 799718 ft
Austria

Bent Kangaroo Posted at 2017-2-7 06:51
Icing of blades is not helped by a warn battery.
What was the humidity when you flew at -10C?
Did you fly over water like the video above in such temps?

I had rotor icing in flying at around 0°C in dense fog and got a warning message regarding battery overload.

See: rotor icing
No icing at -10 °C on a frozen lake .......... too dry air as it uses to be at -10°C
2017-2-7
Use props
M.C. Pilot
Captain
Flight distance : 10278435 ft
  • >>>
United States

AlanOne Posted at 2017-2-2 15:21

Had the same message while flying the other day in sport-mode. Weird b/c it wasn't cold but it was a bit windy. Lost a lot of power on the stick ...working with 2-5% power in sport-mode..really weird. I kept flying and controlling the AC while still going slowly. Flew it closer to home base, then it began to regain power to normal levels. Warning message box never came back up again. Been reading that it might have been caused by flying to aggressive in high winds? anyways wanted to share my experience.
2017-10-16
Use props
M.C. Pilot
Captain
Flight distance : 10278435 ft
  • >>>
United States

Wow just viewed the video and with that guy, his Mavic began to descend? what a nightmare. Mine thank goodness did not descend but only had some loss of power to move horizontally. Anyone else had this issue as well?
2017-10-16
Use props
DJ Enertia
lvl.3
Flight distance : 614065 ft
Australia

Angelo26 Posted at 2017-2-7 07:02
I had rotor icing in flying at around 0°C in dense fog and got a warning message regarding battery overload.

See: rotor icing

Makes sense as the blades ice up they get heavier and stiffer and the motor needs more voltage to spin faster for more lift hence the over voltage warnings.Sorry to hear bout your Mavic loss
2017-10-16
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules