Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Phantom 2 (no gimbal) flips backwards before liftoff. Right out of the box...
2330 9 2014-10-6
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
f.nilsen
New

Norway

Hi,

Just bought it and did everything it say when putting it together, even calibrating the compass without errors.
When I increased the throttle to gain lift, the Phantom 2 flip backwards and slam the propellars in the ground. Checked everything 2 more times with the same ressult.
What could be the issue? I thought it said RTF for a reason... :-/

Later I connected it to my Mac and found that there are a firmware update for both the Main Controller and P330something. Could this be the reason for the backflip? Don't want to do the update yet as this is my first Phantom, and I got it straight from the store (local).

F.

PS: I have flown Vision + with great ressult, so I know my own Phantom 2 is not acting as it should.
PPS: I am thankfull for all the help I can get! :-)
2014-10-6
Use props
T J Gilbert
Second Officer
Flight distance : 74659 ft
United States

Since you have a P2V+, this is probably something you're already doing...
Are you giving the throttle a good burst of power to get the airframe off the ground and out of ground effect, propwash, and GPS confusion?
Or are you trying to gently lift off?
The gentle lift off is practically impossible to do without flipping...
2014-10-6
Use props
xzgraham
lvl.4
Flight distance : 7 ft
United Kingdom

There are a few things that might be causing this you would be better to upgrade to the latest software  but it should not do as you are saying .
When in the software check the compass settings are ok  and  do a basic calibration .Just look over the rest of your settings , when doing the compass  calibration outside  make sure you are not near any metal objects and that  the ground underneath you  has no metal re bar in it .Make sure you are not set in manual mode in the assistant software.
If it all looks ok and its still doing it dont mess around take it back  and have it exchanged for another unit.
2014-10-6
Use props
f.nilsen
New

Norway

T J Gilbert Posted at 2014-10-7 04:40
Since you have a P2V+, this is probably something you're already doing...
Are you giving the thro ...

Thank you for the reply!
Sorry for the confusion. I have a P2 without a gimbal, not P2V+. I have however flown P2V+ a couple of hours, so I know how to get it airborne. I tried the same with my P2 without the same effect of liftoff.

I also tried to move the right stick a bit before using the throttle. What i noticed is that the motor RPM is a lot higher pushing it backwards than forward (not enough to get it to move). For me it seems like a gyro issue, but right from the store? I find that strange.

I also got GPS lock before starting up, and successfully calibrated the compass, before trying the throttle. I did everything the guide said I should do.
I will call the store tomorrow and ask if they have had similar issues with other P2's, wanted to get airborne this evening. :-)
2014-10-6
Use props
xzgraham
lvl.4
United Kingdom

Take it back and  exchange it for a new one , ps you are not set in manual mode in the software?.Also you dont need to move the right stick  just throttle it up with the left stick and dont be shy.
2014-10-6
Use props
T J Gilbert
Second Officer
Flight distance : 74659 ft
United States

f.nilsen@mac.co Posted at 2014-10-7 04:54
Thank you for the reply!
Sorry for the confusion. I have a P2 without a gimbal, not P2V+. I have h ...

If you think it's gyro related, connect to the Assistant and look at the IMU readings.
The Assistant will explain in pop-ups what the readings should be...
If the box got miss-handled in shipment, the IMU could be stuck.
Since you want to get in the air, no one (even DJI) will fault you for doing an Advanced IMU Calibration.
Do a compass calibration as well...
That might set things straight.
2014-10-6
Use props
ElGuano
lvl.1

United States

Also make sure you do a TX calibration with the RC Assistant, and then calibrate the TX again in the P2 Assistant. Make sure none of the TX channels have been inadvertently flipped to "Reverse."
2014-10-6
Use props
f.nilsen
New

Norway

Thank you for the tip about IMU. As you can see it was slightly off... :-)
After calibrating it I could fly easily, even in a windy condition of about 9 m/s steady wind. A little challenge of takeoff and landing, but it went well! :-)

F
2014-10-7
Use props
xzgraham
lvl.4
United Kingdom

f.nilsen@mac.co Posted at 2014-10-7 16:14
Thank you for the tip about IMU. As you can see it was slightly off... :-)
After calibrating it I co ...

Glad you got it sorted , bet you are happy now  just shows that even out of the box folks need to be aware of the software  and what it can do  might be worth while dji including some better info in the start up guide .
2014-10-7
Use props
DJI-Blair
lvl.3

China

Glad to hear  it works.I will report this info to our department and will include more info in the guide in the future.Thank you guys.
2014-10-8
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules