Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
WARNING INSPIRE 2 fell out of sky
1234Next >
21280 155 2017-2-4
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
eggbeater
lvl.4
Flight distance : 3502972 ft
  • >>>
United States

While flying a job today my Inspire 2 performed an unauthorized midflight software update and reboot that resulted in a loss of propulsion at approx sixty feet.

I would not fly until this issue is resolved as it looks like a new update gone bad or a hack of DJI servers.

My cameraman with over twenty years in radio control engineering and building was at the camera controller and witnessed the failure.

Landed in soft, camera survived, left side damage, inner hinge busted, two props and a twisted landing strut tube.
2017-2-4
Use props
eggbeater
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

Cant file a FAA report unless the damage other than to the aircraft exceeds $500.
2017-2-6
Use props
jar546
New
Flight distance : 1202730 ft
United States

Very troubling story.  I would love to see an official response after your flight logs are reviewed by DJI.  This is not the first story about an Inspire 2 just dropping like a rock.
2017-2-4
Use props
Arrow1969
lvl.4
Flight distance : 400577 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

jar546 Posted at 2017-2-4 17:38
Very troubling story.  I would love to see an official response after your flight logs are reviewed by DJI.  This is not the first story about an Inspire 2 just dropping like a rock.

Your quotation (This is not the first story about an Inspire 2 just dropping like a rock.)

Where were these reported would be interested to know???
2017-2-4
Use props
Aeromirage
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1778045 ft
  • >>>
United States

Indeed troubling.
Gee, props that don't fit, landing gear quirks, and now this.......
Glad I decided to wait awhile before jumping aboard. I'll stay with the I1 pro for now.
2017-2-4
Use props
I 2 Fly
lvl.4
Flight distance : 8176 ft
South Africa

Worrying - disappointing - KARMA (is a biatsh)... 1st incident of the kind I hear of... but now it happened!

DJI your response?  I'll now be flying my brand new I2 with worry till we hear what's up...
2017-2-4
Use props
Arrow1969
lvl.4
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Were these a new set of batteries you had purchased separately or the original ones that came with you I2?

The reason I ask is when you use a new set of batteries purchased separately they do a firmware update obviously you're better off doing this before you go flying.
2017-2-4
Use props
Arrow1969
lvl.4
  • >>>
United Kingdom

I 2 Fly Posted at 2017-2-4 20:50
Worrying - disappointing - KARMA (is a biatsh)... 1st incident of the kind I hear of... but now it happened!

DJI your response?  I'll now be flying my brand new I2 with worry till we hear what's up...

Actually this is the second one I've heard of the first one was pilot error he had taken off and tried to fly with only one battery.

2017-2-4
Use props
RichJ53
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1837356 ft
  • >>>
United States

Hi EB

So sorry to read this post. I hope you get some good support from DJI soon. Please keep us posted as to what happens and any new information related to your event.

All the best and to a speedy recovery
Rich
2017-2-4
Use props
dldp-sp
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1065902 ft
  • >>>
United States

Arrow1969 Posted at 2017-2-4 21:37
Were these a new set of batteries you had purchased separately or the original ones that came with you I2?

The reason I ask is when you use a new set of batteries purchased separately they do a firmware update obviously you're better off doing this before you go flying.

Yes, when I bought a second set of batteries it told me as soon as I started the I2 that it needed to do an update. It seemed like it would have still let me fly but, I did the update first. Still, it seems like if the I2 is in the air, the system should know not to try to update it.
2017-2-5
Use props
dldp-sp
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

Arrow1969 Posted at 2017-2-4 21:39
Actually this is the second one I've heard of the first one was pilot error he had taken off and tried to fly with only one battery.

There was one other. The pilot was hovering about 6 feet off the ground and the motors just stopped. Several error message were noted on the Go App. Here is the link to that post.
http://forum.dji.com/thread-82169-1-1.html
2017-2-5
Use props
I 2 Fly
lvl.4
Flight distance : 8176 ft
South Africa

Dr Jon Posted at 2017-2-5 03:50
One more to the list. my iPad has no 4G internet access when i'm out and only wifi when i'm home. When i got home i wanted to update the Google Maps in advance of next weeks flights.

I replaced the batts on the I2 and started all was  normal. I connected the R/C  to the I2 all was okay and green light was on. I powered on the iPad and had full picture and I2 ready to fly in optti mode as i was indoors. I activated the WiFi on the IPad and was greeted with a message "sensor issue" and was greeted with a downloading message "I had not touched anything" in about 1 minute the background download had completed and was uploading to the I 2. There was no option available to cancel this. After 30 seconds it said "reboot in process" and the I2 disconnected from the iPad and R/C

Can I assume it then is safest to switch 3G / WiFi off (Airplane mode) when you fly?  This should prevent internet / update connection?
2017-2-5
Use props
dldp-sp
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

Dr Jon Posted at 2017-2-5 03:50
One more to the list. my iPad has no 4G internet access when i'm out and only wifi when i'm home. When i got home i wanted to update the Google Maps in advance of next weeks flights.

I replaced the batts on the I2 and started all was  normal. I connected the R/C  to the I2 all was okay and green light was on. I powered on the iPad and had full picture and I2 ready to fly in optti mode as i was indoors. I activated the WiFi on the IPad and was greeted with a message "sensor issue" and was greeted with a downloading message "I had not touched anything" in about 1 minute the background download had completed and was uploading to the I 2. There was no option available to cancel this. After 30 seconds it said "reboot in process" and the I2 disconnected from the iPad and R/C

This is starting to sound like some kind of a server hack. There is no way that DJI would push out any update without changing the version number. Also, I'm sure in the code, there are measures taken to prevent uploads during flights. Someone may have found a bug in the code by if the I2 sees "Sensor issue" it allows uploads to occur. "Sensor Issue" may be some kind of dbug code for all we know. In any case, DJI needs to fix this right away.

Regards,
Tom   
2017-2-5
Use props
joejoe
lvl.2
Flight distance : 194003 ft
Germany

A couple days ago (I think Jan. 31st) I planned to fly and started the I2 when I was still at home.

My tablet said there was an update available and asked be to update, but when I attached the I2 to my PC the Assistant stated I´m using the most current version already. No update available anymore.
This just came into my mind when reading this - even if it´s not directly related.

Flight worked fine.
Only the two original batteries used.
2017-2-5
Use props
dldp-sp
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

joejoe Posted at 2017-2-5 07:03
A couple days ago (I think Jan. 31st) I planned to fly and started the I2 when I was still at home.

My tablet said there was an update available and asked be to update, but when I attached the I2 to my PC the Assistant stated I´m using the most current version already. No update available anymore.

I know on IOS there was a GO App update. Is that maybe what you were seeing?

Tom,
2017-2-5
Use props
joejoe
lvl.2
Flight distance : 194003 ft
Germany

I´m using an android tablet, so that shouldn´t be the case.
2017-2-5
Use props
dldp-sp
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

Eggbeater, when you were flying, did you have internet connection either through cellular or WiFi?

Tom,
2017-2-5
Use props
Cougar1
lvl.4
Flight distance : 924393 ft
  • >>>
Canada

I would not worry to much at this point. As per usual poster makes a claim without providing details and or followup posts.
Might have been a battery update, at this point we don't know any details so wait and see I guess.
2017-2-5
Use props
Arrow1969
lvl.4
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Cougar1 Posted at 2017-2-5 07:49
I would not worry to much at this point. As per usual poster makes a claim without providing details and or followup posts.
Might have been a battery update, at this point we don't know any details so wait and see I guess.

Cougar1

I totally agree with you sometimes people jump to conclusions a good example is the previous incident mentioned early in this post people were saying all sorts of things on YouTube before the true facts had come out all it does is worry people unnecessarily.

It happens in all types of flying I've been flying full-size helicopters and plane's for over 40 years and it happens there all the time.
2017-2-5
Use props
eggbeater
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

Two new batteries, iPad 2 mini in airplane mode, camera/Samsung note 4.  Got the green light to fly all systems good, batteries at 98 percent,  flew up to 200 feet got a message there was difference in software between control and aircraft immediately lost flight screen that replaced with first page of the app with a percentage downloaded.  I began to prepare to land and got down to 40 -60 feet and it lost power at just past 99 percent downloaded.  The power was off when I recovered the aircraft from soft sand on a creek bed.  You can ignore this post if you want I don't care.  I've been flying rc for twenty years and bought the Inspire 1 when it first came out this is the first malfunction and crash I've ever had with a DJI aircraft.  Was this enough detail for you?
2017-2-5
Use props
Cougar1
lvl.4
  • >>>
Canada

eggbeater Posted at 2017-2-5 10:02
Two new batteries, iPad 2 mini in airplane mode, camera/Samsung note 4.  Got the green light to fly all systems good, batteries at 98 percent,  flew up to 200 feet got a message there was difference in software between control and aircraft immediately lost flight screen that replaced with first page of the app with a percentage downloaded.  I began to prepare to land and got down to 40 -60 feet and it lost power at just past 99 percent downloaded.  The power was off when I recovered the aircraft from soft sand on a creek bed.  You can ignore this post if you want I don't care.  I've been flying rc for twenty years and bought the Inspire 1 when it first came out this is the first malfunction and crash I've ever had with a DJI aircraft.  Was this enough detail for you?

Thank you for the follow up, was that the first time you flew with the new batteries, if so they would update to what was latest fw for them, that might have been what happened.
Edit: Have to say that DJI needs to address this, no fw update should ever be happening during flight regardless, if that is what actually happend!
Note: the fw for batteries is stored on the I2 itself so when flying with new batteries they will update to current regardless of internet or not. Best is always to cycle trough a couple of times on the ground when using new/unused batteries.

2017-2-5
Use props
nazar404.yahoo
lvl.4
Flight distance : 394291 ft
  • >>>
United States

eggbeater Posted at 2017-2-5 10:02

I have been out of the USA for week,  now I am nervous about flying my Inspire 2 , this is the primary reason  I am selling my Inspire 1 now because of the trust issue .

DJI needs to reply to these posts, I don't want to endanger anyone when it drops from the sky.  

Thanks for letting the forum know.
2017-2-5
Use props
thomasakira
lvl.3
Flight distance : 921693 ft
United States

I don't think anyone is discounting your experience or expertise... intentionally.... I personally take everything with a grain of salt...maybe that is what is happening here.

Is it possible to attach the flight log file?
2017-2-5
Use props
nazar404.yahoo
lvl.4
Flight distance : 394291 ft
  • >>>
United States

thomasakira Posted at 2017-2-5 10:33
I don't think anyone is discounting your experience or expertise... intentionally.... I personally take everything with a grain of salt...maybe that is what is happening here.

Is it possible to attach the flight log file?

Please attach a flight log , it might answer some questions and answers .

Thank you
2017-2-5
Use props
eggbeater
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

Two new batteries with no flights,  Ill try to post flight log after I'm done reporting, packing and shipping it back.{:4_154:}{:4_154:}{:4_142:}{:4_142:}
2017-2-5
Use props
jar546
New
Flight distance : 1202730 ft
United States

Arrow1969 Posted at 2017-2-4 18:49
Your quotation (This is not the first story about an Inspire 2 just dropping like a rock.)

Where were these reported would be interested to know???

2017-2-5
Use props
Cougar1
lvl.4
  • >>>
Canada

jar546 Posted at 2017-2-5 13:56
DJI covered this under warranty Fell Out of Sky

Wrong post, delete.
2017-2-5
Use props
Arrow1969
lvl.4
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Yes jar546 that was the one I was referring to earlier in this post it was pilot error he tried to take off and fly with only one battery installed.

DJI tell you in the flight manual not to do this jar546, It will fly on one battery in emergencies as a backup but if you take off with one battery you don't have a backup.
2017-2-5
Use props
dldp-sp
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

Ok, just so we are clear here, there are 4 known incidents of motors stopping.

1: The YouTube video where the user was flying with one battery.

2: Kailani1 - Received an "AIR encoder Error (0xa) - http://forum.dji.com/thread-82169-1-1.html

3: eggbeater - Mid flight download - This forum post

4: dr jon - sensor issue - This forum post but, for some reason, it was deleted from this post. Below was his original post:

"One more to the list. my iPad has no 4G internet access when i'm out and only wifi when i'm home. When i got home i wanted to update the Google Maps in advance of next weeks flights.

I replaced the batts on the I2 and started all was  normal. I connected the R/C  to the I2 all was okay and green light was on. I powered on the iPad and had full picture and I2 ready to fly in optti mode as i was indoors. I activated the WiFi on the IPad and was greeted with a message "sensor issue" and was greeted with a downloading message "I had not touched anything" in about 1 minute the background download had completed and was uploading to the I 2. There was no option available to cancel this. After 30 seconds it said "reboot in process" and the I2 disconnected from the iPad and R/C"

I would really like to know how DJI is responding to these issues. I think we all deserve some kind of statement from them.

Regards,
Tom
2017-2-6
Use props
eggbeater
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

dldp-sp Posted at 2017-2-5 07:28
Eggbeater, when you were flying, did you have internet connection either through cellular or WiFi?

Tom,

the iPad 2 mini was in airplane mode so no internet via cell.  But no matter what the aircraft control system should not have lost power after rebooting.
2017-2-6
Use props
eggbeater
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

The last data frame was that the aircraft was hovering at 42 feet altitude and 36 feet then no more data was written as the power was cut.
2017-2-6
Use props
eggbeater
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

Cougar1 Posted at 2017-2-5 10:20
Thank you for the follow up, was that the first time you flew with the new batteries, if so they would update to what was latest fw for them, that might have been what happened.
Edit: Have to say that DJI needs to address this, no fw update should ever be happening during flight regardless, if that is what actually happend!
Note: the fw for batteries is stored on the I2 itself so when flying with new batteries they will update to current regardless of internet or not. Best is always to cycle trough a couple of times on the ground when using new/unused batteries.

I follow the manufactures instructions and nowhere does it say I need to cycle the batteries on the ground.  I just charged them and fly.  If cycling is indeed needed perhaps that be done at the factory and certainly not a software down and reboot mid flight.
2017-2-6
Use props
Cougar1
lvl.4
  • >>>
Canada

eggbeater Posted at 2017-2-6 10:42
I follow the manufactures instructions and nowhere does it say I need to cycle the batteries on the ground.  I just charged them and fly.  If cycling is indeed needed perhaps that be done at the factory and certainly not a software down and reboot mid flight.

FW updates happens along the way so factory can't update all batteries before sending them out, batteries can also come from dealers and they don't update them either. BUT if this is what happened it should not, updating while flying should absolutely not happen without any interaction from op.

I have the I2 as well as Mavic etc, I had an update for FW on my batteries on the Mavic just like you describe, but it did not automatically update until I allowed it to.
2017-2-6
Use props
eggbeater
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

Cougar1 Posted at 2017-2-6 10:53
FW updates happens along the way so factory can't update all batteries before sending them out, batteries can also come from dealers and they don't update them either. BUT if this is what happened it should not, updating while flying should absolutely not happen without any interaction from op.

I have the I2 as well as Mavic etc, I had an update for FW on my batteries on the Mavic just like you describe, but it did not automatically update until I allowed it to.

I got a brief message there was a software difference between the controller and aircraft with no permission request just the white screen with the Inspire 2 picture and in the upper left corner a  download percentage indicator.  I thought "shouldnt be doing this" and proceeded to come down to land when it finished the download, rebooted and lost power.  There are multiple witnesses.  The last flight data frame showed the aircraft in a hover 42 feet high and 36 feet down range before ending.
2017-2-6
Use props
Cougar1
lvl.4
  • >>>
Canada

eggbeater Posted at 2017-2-6 11:33
I got a brief message there was a software difference between the controller and aircraft with no permission request just the white screen with the Inspire 2 picture and in the upper left corner a  download percentage indicator.  I thought "shouldnt be doing this" and proceeded to come down to land when it finished the download, rebooted and lost power.  There are multiple witnesses.  The last flight data frame showed the aircraft in a hover 42 feet high and 36 feet down range before ending.

Best bet would be to send it in to DJI, they will look after you.
2017-2-6
Use props
eggbeater
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

sounds very similar, in a hover and loss of power.  
2017-2-6
Use props
eggbeater
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

Cougar1 Posted at 2017-2-6 10:53
updating while flying should absolutely not happen without any interaction from op.

It should not be a choice if the result could result in a flight anomaly.
2017-2-6
Use props
Arrow1969
lvl.4
  • >>>
United Kingdom

eggbeater Posted at 2017-2-6 12:34
It should not be a choice if the result could result in a flight anomaly.

The last few posts have been interesting I haven't seen any information from DJI that you need to update the FW on new batteries on the ground I only knew about it from posts on other forums it started about 2 weeks ago and it was confirmed on RC groups by one of DJI's tech guys.

Will be interesting to see what DJI have to say about your particular incident.

Please keep us posted eggbeater.
2017-2-6
Use props
DJI-Jamie
DJI team
Flight distance : 112405 ft
United States

eggbeater Posted at 2017-2-5 12:25
Two new batteries with no flights,  Ill try to post flight log after I'm done reporting, packing and shipping it back.

I'm sorry to hear. Just to make sure I'm on the same page, you have gotten in contact with DJI to have it sent in for further analysis and repair?
2017-2-6
Use props
dldp-sp
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

Arrow1969 Posted at 2017-2-6 20:19
The last few posts have been interesting I haven't seen any information from DJI that you need to update the FW on new batteries on the ground I only knew about it from posts on other forums it started about 2 weeks ago and it was confirmed on RC groups by one of DJI's tech guys.

Will be interesting to see what DJI have to say about your particular incident.

I agree, they have been interesting. I am still wondering why dr jon's post was removed or, self deleted. Any insight on this dr jon?

Tom,
2017-2-7
Use props
1234Next >
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules