Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
As CrystalSky hasn't arrived, what's a good substitute?
4708 13 2017-2-5
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
GMG
lvl.4
Flight distance : 3632605 ft
France

Has anyone out there sized up specs, including screen brightness, for tablets that play well wth the Mavic RC? I'm using my iPhone 6 and iPad mini and even with the brghtness turned up, in bright sunlight they can still be difficult to see. Can anyone recommend something significantly better (and if it's cheaper than an iPad, that's a bonus)?
2017-2-5
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

Try this inexpensive might work with your iPhone..

https://store.dji.com/product/ma ... or-hood#/?_k=21hhlq
2017-2-5
Use props
GMG
lvl.4
France

hallmark007 Posted at 2017-2-5 15:28
Try this inexpensive might work with your iPhone..

https://store.dji.com/product/mavic-remote-controller-monitor-hood#/?_k=21hhlq

Thanks hallmark007.  I've got one (different model, but same thing).  In bright sunlight it helps, but could still use a brighter screen.
2017-2-6
Use props
DroneFlying
lvl.4
Flight distance : 10774613 ft
United States

The last I checked the iPad Mini 4 is the best tablet you can get for use in bright light, but even it comes up pretty short in direct sunlight. The 3-sided shades like the one from DJI do help somewhat, but I'm guessing you've found that you still wind up with a bit of glare from directly behind you. Until CrystalSky is available, probably the best solution I know of is to use a combination of something like the MavMount and a hood like the one available from Hi-Aerial. I use that combination myself and it does the trick.
2017-2-6
Use props
Angelo26
lvl.4
Flight distance : 799718 ft
Austria

DroneFlying Posted at 2017-2-6 04:58
The last I checked the iPad Mini 4 is the best tablet you can get for use in bright light, but even it comes up pretty short in direct sunlight. The 3-sided shades like the one from DJI do help somewhat, but I'm guessing you've found that you still wind up with a bit of glare from directly behind you. Until CrystalSky is available, probably the best solution I know of is to use a combination of something like the MavMount and a hood like the one available from Hi-Aerial. I use that combination myself and it does the trick.

Maybe it´s worth waiting for CrystalSky ............... As a "standalone"-solution it might help to avoid the compatibility-issues of DJI GO 4 with Android smartphones ......................
2017-2-6
Use props
Blackline
lvl.2
Flight distance : 5029167 ft
United States

the crystal sky will be android based though. that is why i chose the ipad mini 4also cannot load other apps from what i have been reading.
2017-2-6
Use props
DroneFlying
lvl.4
United States

Blackline Posted at 2017-2-6 05:22
the crystal sky will be android based though. that is why i chose the ipad mini 4also cannot load other apps from what i have been reading.

CrystalSky won't allow you to load other apps even though it's Android-based? Then they'd better set the price pretty low, because I can't imagine many people will want to pay a lot of money for a one-trick pony.
2017-2-6
Use props
DroneFlying
lvl.4
United States

It looks like there are at least a couple of "specialty" tablets that offer brightness approaching that of CrystalSky, but at $1,300 and $1,500 (USD) they aren't cheap:

Another alternative would be to just use some kind of VR goggles like the mythical ones from DJI or the Moverio BT-300 discussed in a couple of other threads, but that's also not an inexpensive solution.
2017-2-6
Use props
GMG
lvl.4
France

DroneFlying Posted at 2017-2-6 06:10
It looks like there are at least a couple of "specialty" tablets that offer brightness approaching that of CrystalSky, but at $1,300 and $1,500 (USD) they aren't cheap:

Ouch - you're right!  At those prices, better wait for CrystalSky or for some other option to come along.  
2017-2-7
Use props
DRONE-flies-YOU
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1450594 ft
United States

GMG Posted at 2017-2-7 09:13
Ouch - you're right!  At those prices, better wait for CrystalSky or for some other option to come along.

If CrystalSky is like the P4P+ built-in "device," then it will be slow.

The P4P+ display is bright, clear and doesn't reflect much BUT...  That thing is slow as hell.  Updates from DJI come very late (well after iOS, then Android updates).  You're extremely limited in functionality that you don't realize until you're locked-in with this built-in device.  SD slot is read-only.  There is no rooting/modding (custom DJI kernel, ROM, software builds).

I sure enjoy using my Note 5 with the Mavic.  It is easily 5x faster in all aspects and it is one of the brightest phones in sunlight in terms of nits & reflection.  

-ANY device will be better in all aspects except brightness (for now)-

Even if the Samsung Note 8 or S8 have brighter/better screens, the newest iteration of Android that they'll be running won't work with anything 3rd-party for a long while.  iPhone 8 won't take nearly as much time to be compatible with, but that's a year off from being in your hands.
2017-2-7
Use props
DRONE-flies-YOU
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1450594 ft
United States

And if that P4P+ device/CrystalSky crashes, it takes an uncomfortably long time to reboot (remember, it's slowwwww).

So the app crashing (or device in that case) experience is even worse/more scary in comparison to your iPhone app crashing.  That's a quick fix.
2017-2-7
Use props
R&L Aerial
Second Officer
Flight distance : 298100 ft
  • >>>
United States

The best tablet for viewing in the direct sunlight is the 9.7 inch iPad pro, I've tried them all and the pro's the best.
2017-2-7
Use props
The Roach
lvl.3
Flight distance : 412835 ft
  • >>>
United States

I'm looking for a better solution than my phone or a tablet holder as I anticipate the CrystalSky will be $600+.  I looked at the iTouch but it only comes in a 4 inch model - too small for my eyes.  Any other suggestions for a 5.5 inch non-cell device?  I'm willing to pay $200 for an Android based device but can't find one to fit the clamp.  Otherwise I'll just go with the tablet holder and continue to use my iPad mini.  
2017-2-7
Use props
GMG
lvl.4
France

DRONE-flies-YOU Posted at 2017-2-7 10:16
If CrystalSky is like the P4P+ built-in "device," then it will be slow.

The P4P+ display is bright, clear and doesn't reflect much BUT...  That thing is slow as hell.  Updates from DJI come very late (well after iOS, then Android updates).  You're extremely limited in functionality that you don't realize until you're locked-in with this built-in device.  SD slot is read-only.  There is no rooting/modding (custom DJI kernel, ROM, software builds).

Thanks. All good points worth considering.
2017-2-7
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules