Carbon props
2284 27 2017-2-5
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Aussie4220
Second Officer
Flight distance : 311732 ft
United States

I am looking to get carbon props, any suggestions or advice is welcome.

If you know of reasons why they are not good to put on the P4P, please let me know.

What is their advantage or disadvantage?

Thanks

2017-2-5
Use props
CyFA
lvl.3
Flight distance : 1372369 ft
  • >>>
Cyprus

I had used them on my P3P and found them very snappy. They react much more faster than the ordinary ones. I used them twice.
1. Did i like them? Not really, i like smoother flights in general.
2. In the case of something going wrong, they really cut!
This is my opinion but others may find them very good.
2017-2-5
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Flight distance : 165105 ft
Canada

The only benefit to me is they look awesome. Aside from bling, no sense spending the extra money, with no real advantage.

You could buy some RIT dye, color some and have a custom look, that would be far more unique.

What reason do You wish to use them?

RedHotPoker
2017-2-5
Use props
Aussie4220
Second Officer
United States

RedHotPoker Posted at 2017-2-5 22:45
The only benefit to me is they look awesome. Aside from bling, no sense spending the extra money, with no real advantage.

You could buy some RIT dye, color some and have a custom look, that would be far more unique.

Primarily cosmetic - i recently wrapped the drone with a carbon fibre skin so i wanted to match the wrap with the props.  However, if there is some advantage to the flight etc then i would pursue the props with more fervor.  I have read that the carbon props fly better in higher winds and they vibrate less, create more stability (?).  not sure if this is true but given they are stiffer, it would make sense.
2017-2-6
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 9991457 ft
  • >>>
Australia

Aussie4220 Posted at 2017-2-6 05:59
Primarily cosmetic - i recently wrapped the drone with a carbon fibre skin so i wanted to match the wrap with the props.  However, if there is some advantage to the flight etc then i would pursue the props with more fervor.  I have read that the carbon props fly better in higher winds and they vibrate less, create more stability (?).  not sure if this is true but given they are stiffer, it would make sense.

"if there is some advantage to the flight etc then i would pursue the props with more fervor"

Don't you think that DJI design engineers would already have looked at this and used CF props if there was an advantage?
CF may be stiffer but is that an advantage?
The flex in the props is like the suspension in your car.
Do you want smooth video or rough and bumpy?
I still haven't seen anyone show real evidence (actual numbers) of any improvement in the Phantom's flight performance from CF props.
2017-2-6
Use props
Aussie4220
Second Officer
United States

Labroides Posted at 2017-2-6 06:43
"if there is some advantage to the flight etc then i would pursue the props with more fervor"

Don't you think that DJI design engineers would already have looked at this and used CF props if there was an advantage?

Thanks for the response.  Just because DJI engineers didnt provide them on the original doesnt mean they are not an advantageous option in certain circumstances.  If that thinking was the case then there wouldn't be any aftermarket options for anything.  Products are built for a budget and to fit a certain niche, whether it is a niche of options or a price niche.

Aftermarket options/improvements exist for many things - eg cars, computers, motorcycles etc, all adding something to the base unit to make it more functional or just more aesthetic.

in asking this question i am trying to find out if there are true advantages and or disadvantages to this.  If it is purely cosmetic, then so be it, but if it truly creates an issue with the drone either structurally or performance wise then i would not risk my investment.
2017-2-6
Use props
gregcrammond72
lvl.2
Flight distance : 68737 ft
United Kingdom

Hi , sorry i have an unrelated question . have you tried active track with someone surfing ? does it work ? does it recognise them in the water ? Cheers
2017-2-6
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Canada

Aussie4220 Posted at 2017-2-6 08:53
Thanks for the response.  Just because DJI engineers didnt provide them on the original doesnt mean they are not an advantageous option in certain circumstances.  If that thinking was the case then there wouldn't be any aftermarket options for anything.  Products are built for a budget and to fit a certain niche, whether it is a niche of options or a price niche.

Aftermarket options/improvements exist for many things - eg cars, computers, motorcycles etc, all adding something to the base unit to make it more functional or just more aesthetic.

I could also buy a carbon fiber helmet to rYde my SpYder, but it won't make it run any better.

Even if it is fire axe proof... ;-)

Yes, they look awesome, and fit great, extremely light too. But at $500.00 I'll avoid the extra cost.

RedHotPoker
2017-2-6
Use props
KM5RG-Robert
First Officer
Flight distance : 2075213 ft
United States

Well then why does DJI make carbon props?
2017-2-6
Use props
theGrindLab.com
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1375846 ft
  • >>>
United States

Labroides Posted at 2017-2-6 06:43

Not necessarily. They're the same company that released a ground station program that doesn't work with their dedicated screen.

Otherwise, I actually agree with your logic.
2017-2-6
Use props
WindSoul
lvl.3
Flight distance : 16 ft
Canada

far as i know carbon props are third-party. if that's the case, using them might void the warranty. if that is not a concern, then next is people seem to complain about balancing (probably leading to vibration). my tehnical concern with carbon props is that being stronger than original props, if the rotor hits then instead of propeller the motor will be damaged. i had an instance where i hit a log and the propeller broke, while the motor is intact. reason for me to get the original props rather than third-party.
2017-2-6
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Canada

WindSoul Posted at 2017-2-6 11:03
far as i know carbon props are third-party. if that's the case, using them might void the warranty. if that is not a concern, then next is people seem to complain about balancing (probably leading to vibration). my tehnical concern with carbon props is that being stronger than original props, if the rotor hits then instead of propeller the motor will be damaged. i had an instance where i hit a log and the propeller broke, while the motor is intact. reason for me to get the original props rather than third-party.

Actually, DJI also makes their own carbon fiber "reinforced" props for our drones.
store.dji.com/product/e300-9443-carbon-fiber-white

https://store.dji.com/product/9450-carbon-fiber-self-tightening-rotor-black

Whether they have any benefit is not my expertise, but I do like their appearance.
Practically anything with a carbon fiber look, has great appeal to me. But the cost factor is prohibitive to me, at this time.

RedHotPoker

2017-2-6
Use props
Aussie4220
Second Officer
United States

gregcrammond72 Posted at 2017-2-6 09:25
Hi , sorry i have an unrelated question . have you tried active track with someone surfing ? does it work ? does it recognise them in the water ? Cheers

yes i have tried it on one occasion and it worked "okay", the issue is when there are many surfers in close proximity, its hard to select the one person you want.  In some cases when the surfers are spread out or your drone is fairly close, then you dont have the same problem.

This is something i am interested in so i will be spending more time getting this to work.  I am sure once the person is on the wave or the only one paddling in, it will be easier to select them, you wouldnt need to be too high up, maybe 2-4 m?

2017-2-6
Use props
Aussie4220
Second Officer
United States

RedHotPoker Posted at 2017-2-6 09:35
I could also buy a carbon fiber helmet to rYde my SpYder, but it won't make it run any better.

Even if it is fire axe proof... ;-)

that comparison doesnt fit.  The helmet has nothing to do with the running of the Spyder (i am guessing this is a motorcycle? where as the props are an essential part of the drone.  If you had mentioned carbon fibre exhausts, that is a different matter.
2017-2-6
Use props
Aussie4220
Second Officer
United States

WindSoul Posted at 2017-2-6 11:03

yes, that is a fair enough concern, but then DJI does make carbon props as well.
2017-2-6
Use props
Aussie4220
Second Officer
United States

RedHotPoker Posted at 2017-2-6 11:16
Actually, DJI also makes their own carbon fiber "reinforced" props for our drones.
store.dji.com/product/e300-9443-carbon-fiber-white

The first link told me that they were not available in my country or region.  The second link is for the P3, i have a p4p so they wont be of use.

Agreed, the carbon fibre look is appealing, i had carbon fibre components on my bike etc and they look cool
2017-2-6
Use props
QiiFlight
Second Officer
Flight distance : 2999472 ft
  • >>>
United States

Did DJI not sell the black version of the P4 in your locale? http://www.bestbuy.com/site/dji- ... 668.p?skuId=5622668
2017-2-6
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Canada

Aussie4220 Posted at 2017-2-6 13:51
that comparison doesnt fit.  The helmet has nothing to do with the running of the Spyder (i am guessing this is a motorcycle? where as the props are an essential part of the drone.  If you had mentioned carbon fibre exhausts, that is a different matter.

Yes I'm referring to my three wheeled '13 Can Am SpYder RS-S Roadster, in my stall. ;-)
Not really a motor cycle, more like a three wheel automobile. But you rYde it similarly to a bike.
A carbon fiber helmet, may not make the SpYder run better, but it would sure ease the weight from my arthritic neck. Being comfortable longer, keeping me in the saddle for a greater travelling experience.
The SpYder always needs a happy jockey, or it goes no place, fast. ;-)
Yes, the DJI OEM props are an essential component to the Phantom, but travelling without a helmet could be a death sentence,  so it's actually an essential piece of the puzzle. I could still rYde without exhaust pipes. But the engine compression might then suffer...

Carbon fiber props are the same, not a necessity-needed, but they sure are nice.
Even though they would serve no real purpose for me, I would still like a set. A great conversation piece.

RedHotPoker
2017-2-6
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Canada

Aussie4220 Posted at 2017-2-6 13:56
The first link told me that they were not available in my country or region.  The second link is for the P3, i have a p4p so they wont be of use.

Agreed, the carbon fibre look is appealing, i had carbon fibre components on my bike etc and they look cool

No, they may not be available In your area, mine either. But you could still order some of them online.
There are numerous websites that will carry them. Do a web search.

My purpose by sharing the links above, was to show that DJI does indeed make and sell carbon fiber reinforced rotor props. Where you may acquire them in your vicinity, is on you, to find out.

We have several fine hobby shops in the city, and as well, www.droneology.ca at WEM
The carbon fiber reinforced props are by special order. Not available on the shelf.

RedHotPoker
2017-2-6
Use props
fans617b9cdc
lvl.1
Flight distance : 135614 ft
Brazil

yes....cosmetically more cool looking.....and yes I use them, the white nylon ones make a p4 go 44 miles per hour.....mine does 70 with the carbon fibre blades
2017-2-6
Use props
jeffinhizhands
lvl.2
United States

Carbon props are very cool I agree... It will make the aircraft a little more snappy however you can go into advanced options and adjust your setting ( Yaw, Brake etc) to compensate for all of that. Hope this helps and please let me know how it works out. There are good tube videos regarding changing those setting as well.
2017-2-6
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Canada

fans617b9cdc Posted at 2017-2-6 15:08
yes....cosmetically more cool looking.....and yes I use them, the white nylon ones make a p4 go 44 miles per hour.....mine does 70 with the carbon fibre blades

Was that 70 kilometers?  ;-)

RedHotPoker
2017-2-6
Use props
fans617b9cdc
lvl.1
Flight distance : 135614 ft
Canada

69.9 MPH in logs as top speed.
2017-3-27
Use props
Aussie4220
Second Officer
United States

that certainly is fast, it must produce additional strain on the arms.
2017-3-27
Use props
theGrindLab.com
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1375846 ft
  • >>>
United States

fans617b9cdc Posted at 2017-3-27 05:16
69.9 MPH in logs as top speed.

That's likely actually KPH. The logs indicate MPH, but actually show KPH. It's a common bug that many of us have fallen prey to. Your quad appears to be no faster with the carbon fiber props.
2017-3-27
Use props
WA5TEF
lvl.3
Flight distance : 124672 ft
United States

I bought 2 sets of carbon fiber props for my P4 and found exactly half of them to be out of balance .  I selected 4 that were in balance and flew it once but did not notice any difference in performance or handling.  The black color takes some getting used to!
Thanks,
Jim
WA5TEF
2017-3-27
Use props
Mobilcams
lvl.4
Flight distance : 2907674 ft
United States

2017-3-27
Use props
Aussie4220
Second Officer
United States

It seems that the speeds logged are in kph as i have only flown in sports mode once and the top speed i reached was 79 kph, so i couldnt imagine how someone could get significantly more speed with the same model. 69.9 mph equates to 112.5 kph,, unusual for similar models to have such disparities.  I didnt buy my drone to race it, but wanted to check out the Sports mode for the sake of curiosity.
2017-3-27
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules