Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Not cool [delivery through FedEx]
12Next >
7334 40 2017-2-6
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
joe_mamma
lvl.1

United States

I thought DJI was kidding when my drone shipped 5 days earlier than projected......here's where the messed up part comes in.  I was anxiously waiting the delivery through FedEx (I had notifications). It was going to be today...yess! I was in the house all day(Saturday) but I needed to go check my maple taps in my back yard so I had my 17 year old daughter ready to accept the shipment. 5 minutes after I left FedEx arrived and said she couldn't accept the shipment because she was under 21. They also have the shipment locked so you can't add an online signature or pick up at the FedEx hub.
So it's Monday and I took the day off(nobody under 21 would be here)
?????
2017-2-6
Use props
DroneFlying
Captain
Flight distance : 10774613 ft
United States

That's very frustrating, all right, and you're not the first person who has complained about the policy. But in fairness to DJI, it's understandable that they'd use a signature delivery for a USD $1,000 (or $1,300 if you got the Fly More) package, and the must-be-at-least-21 policy is strictly a FedEx thing.
2017-2-6
Use props
Irish
lvl.1

United States

I had just the opposite thing happen.  I called in sick the day my Mavic was to be delivered, so I could be home to sign for it.  The Fedex guy showed up in the afternoon dropped it on the porch and took off.  Never even rang the doorbell..  Oh well, at least I was there anyway..
2017-2-6
Use props
Lorgash
lvl.1

United States

My only issue was that I was not given the option to choose to pre-sign or even allowed to provide delivery instructions with FED-EX.  Those options were unavailable even with a FED-EX account.   I was out of town and got the warning that they were going to return to sender if I didn't respond.  Luckily I managed to claim it in time before I would have had to wait for DJI to send another one.  Who knows how long that would have taken.
2017-2-6
Use props
DroneFlying
Captain
Flight distance : 10774613 ft
United States

Lorgash Posted at 2017-2-6 07:37
My only issue was that I was not given the option to choose to pre-sign or even allowed to provide delivery instructions with FED-EX.  Those options were unavailable even with a FED-EX account.   I was out of town and got the warning that they were going to return to sender if I didn't respond.  Luckily I managed to claim it in time before I would have had to wait for DJI to send another one.  Who knows how long that would have taken.

That's the FedEx policy when Adult Signature Required is chosen by the sender; without a direct (in-person) signature, they can't know whether the signature came from an adult. You'll only get a door tag if Indirect Signature Required is selected, which DJI apparently isn't willing to do.
2017-2-6
Use props
bunny too
Second Officer
Flight distance : 13442 ft
United States

Irish Posted at 2017-2-6 07:19
I had just the opposite thing happen.  I called in sick the day my Mavic was to be delivered, so I could be home to sign for it.  The Fedex guy showed up in the afternoon dropped it on the porch and took off.  Never even rang the doorbell..  Oh well, at least I was there anyway..

Same here, out in Wyoming I raced home to be around and then just heard a "thump" as the USPS guy dropped it off (ordered from Amazon) however I have had 10K worth of ammo dropped off without a signature too.
Regards.
-d.
2017-2-6
Use props
DRONE-flies-YOU
First Officer
Flight distance : 1450594 ft
United States

bunny too Posted at 2017-2-6 07:55
Same here, out in Wyoming I raced home to be around and then just heard a "thump" as the USPS guy dropped it off (ordered from Amazon) however I have had 10K worth of ammo dropped off without a signature too.
Regards.
-d.

THAT must have been a very, very heavy box.  The UPS guy who drops off your ammo must love your 70 pound max ammo boxes, hehe!  

I suppose it matters where you live & the environment for them to decide to drop it off.
2017-2-6
Use props
RearViewMirror
lvl.4
United States

I can't fault DJI for that policy. I actually respect it. I was on duty (Fire Dept 24hrs) the day my Mavic arrived. Luckily my wife works remotely from home so she signed for it so it was no issue. I knew when it was coming and asked her to be on the lookout for when it arrived. Something similar happened when I ordered my MacBook Pro. Since I purchased the most expensive model they made I had to sign for it. I was at home all day but had to leave for about 15 mins to pick my daughter up from school. Got to her school and checked the camera on the security system and sure enough he walked up to the door while I was watching on my phone and left a sticker on the door. I got real lucky though as his next stop was a gas station between her school and home so I stopped him and explained who I was, showed him my ID, and was able to sign for it.

I understand the frustration but I would much rather have to sign for it than have a $4000 computer (or a $1300 drone for that matter) just sitting on my front porch.
2017-2-6
Use props
Lorgash
lvl.1

United States

DroneFlying Posted at 2017-2-6 07:46
That's the FedEx policy when Adult Signature Required is chosen by the sender; without a direct (in-person) signature, they can't know whether the signature came from an adult. You'll only get a door tag if Indirect Signature Required is selected, which DJI apparently isn't willing to do.

Right, but they listed it as "indirect signature required" which means my dog could have signed for it if it was ambulatory.  Regardless, plenty of people are getting them left on their doorsteps without a signature.  At least if I pre-sign there is my opinion somewhere in the loop rather than leaving $1400 on my doorstep.
2017-2-6
Use props
bunny too
Second Officer
United States

DRONE-flies-YOU Posted at 2017-2-6 08:38
THAT must have been a very, very heavy box.  The UPS guy who drops off your ammo must love your 70 pound max ammo boxes, hehe!  

I suppose it matters where you live & the environment for them to decide to drop it off.

I tip my UPS drivers very, very well. But it is a very different world up here Wyoming way.
Regards,
-d.
2017-2-6
Use props
joe_mamma
lvl.1

United States

This is the view out of my door, I don't live in an area where theft is an issue, mostly because there is a lot of area to bury things, but getting back to the original conversation..... my 17 year old daughter came out of my door that the FedEx guy knocked on and wouldn't give the package to her because she wasn't 21, so I took a day off of work to receive this, and actually so far nothing... I will never order anything through DJI if they ship this way
IMG_1738.JPG
2017-2-6
Use props
Citation
lvl.4
Flight distance : 134908 ft
United States

joe_mamma Posted at 2017-2-6 11:48
This is the view out of my door, I don't live in an area where theft is an issue, mostly because there is a lot of area to bury things, but getting back to the original conversation..... my 17 year old daughter came out of my door that the FedEx guy knocked on and wouldn't give the package to her because she wasn't 21, so I took a day off of work to receive this, and actually so far nothing... I will never order anything through DJI if they ship this way

Home, home on the range.... where the deer and the antelope play...
2017-2-6
Use props
bunny too
Second Officer
United States

Call the number on the FedEx ticket and explain,they may come back, it has happened before or you could meet somewhere?
Regards,
-d.
2017-2-6
Use props
bunny too
Second Officer
United States

Sorry for hijacking the thread earlier. - d.
2017-2-6
Use props
Hondas3000
lvl.3
Flight distance : 5643 ft
Canada

This is just the Fedex driver problem nothing to do with DJI.  They should have call you or you they should have option to arrange a different drop off site on the day you want like your work place.  That is what DHL offer for my mavic shipment.  
2017-2-6
Use props
cluc
lvl.4
Flight distance : 85682 ft
Australia

I think that is more of a Fedex issue and not DJI, can you please ensure you raise that to Fedex to ensure better services in the future.
2017-2-6
Use props
devGOD
lvl.4
Flight distance : 200577 ft
United States

I have zero problem with this rule. Stops some local neighborhood kid from signing for your package.
2017-2-6
Use props
DJI Joe
Captain

United States

Title edited to include more information
2017-2-6
Use props
RearViewMirror
lvl.4
United States

I suppose you won't order expensive things through Amazon (and other online retailers) either then. If FedEx or UPS require a signature that is because the value of the item being delivered is deemed a risk of theft. Even "if" DJI requires it I applaud them for due diligence. I live in a very nice neighborhood where theft isn't a problem. I still don't want it sitting on my front porch. I'll sign for it any day.   But saying you won't order from DJI again if this is their policy (which is looking out for your best interest) seems slightly absurd. I understand the frustration but the frustration would be greater if it "was" delivered and not on your porch once you arrived home. If their policy is someone must be 21 then they are following the rules. Just my take on things.
2017-2-6
Use props
VAS67
lvl.4
Flight distance : 265984 ft
United Kingdom

I've just read that in the US you can solo pilot a light aircraft and the  age of 16.
However if you want sign for a delivery, in this case a model aircraft you have to be 21.
I don't get the logic ?
2017-2-7
Use props
joe_mamma
lvl.1

United States

RearViewMirror Posted at 2017-2-6 21:12
I suppose you won't order expensive things through Amazon (and other online retailers) either then. If FedEx or UPS require a signature that is because the value of the item being delivered is deemed a risk of theft. Even "if" DJI requires it I applaud them for due diligence. I live in a very nice neighborhood where theft isn't a problem. I still don't want it sitting on my front porch. I'll sign for it any day.   But saying you won't order from DJI again if this is their policy (which is looking out for your best interest) seems slightly absurd. I understand the frustration but the frustration would be greater if it "was" delivered and not on your porch once you arrived home. If their policy is someone must be 21 then they are following the rules. Just my take on things.

well your thoughts are good, but when I ordered the $1000 drone with insurance i wasn't told there was a signature required and the person in my house that answered the door would be required to be 21 years of age, that being said I would have put the requirements on the shipment on the package if I was worried about theft. The part that I'm very not happy with is after the non delivery, I was told it was being delivered on Monday and it didn't show up after taking a day off of work to receive it, Maybe not DJI, but trying to find out where and what was going on with it is infact there problem. all of the questions regarding are put in a ZENDESK email and never answered. so yes DJI might have a cool product but there are others out there and this isn't the first time being upset with them. I have 4 drones from them. AND YES I'VE HAD $4600 specialty parts through Amazon dropped here with no issue
2017-2-7
Use props
joe_mamma
lvl.1

United States

devGOD Posted at 2017-2-6 17:26
I have zero problem with this rule. Stops some local neighborhood kid from signing for your package.

Did you know there was this rule?
2017-2-7
Use props
joe_mamma
lvl.1

United States

Hondas3000 Posted at 2017-2-6 14:45
This is just the Fedex driver problem nothing to do with DJI.  They should have call you or you they should have option to arrange a different drop off site on the day you want like your work place.  That is what DHL offer for my mavic shipment.

I met the driver today, he was very nice. the signature required part is stipulated from the originator. no problem with FedEx he was doing his job
2017-2-7
Use props
joe_mamma
lvl.1

United States

joe_mamma Posted at 2017-2-7 18:27
well your thoughts are good, but when I ordered the $1000 drone with insurance i wasn't told there was a signature required and the person in my house that answered the door would be required to be 21 years of age, that being said I would have put the requirements on the shipment on the package if I was worried about theft. The part that I'm very not happy with is after the non delivery, I was told it was being delivered on Monday and it didn't show up after taking a day off of work to receive it, Maybe not DJI, but trying to find out where and what was going on with it is infact there problem. all of the questions regarding are put in a ZENDESK email and never answered. so yes DJI might have a cool product but there are others out there and this isn't the first time being upset with them. I have 4 drones from them. AND YES I'VE HAD $4600 specialty parts through Amazon dropped here with no issue

and you say you will sign for it any day? what day is that? I was told one day and it didn't show up,. maybe you can stay home in your nice neighborhood and wait all day for packages but I would guess most of the people reading this can't. When you order something no matter the value i would expect a description of delivery at the least
Sorry I was on rant when I originally posted and i'm not a forum fan because of this, I'm hoping DJI read these and adjust.... I canceled the order from them and my request was sent to the ZENDESK (I laughed)
2017-2-7
Use props
GSPRODUCT
lvl.1
Flight distance : 2677 ft
United States

joe_mamma Posted at 2017-2-7 18:37
I met the driver today, he was very nice. the signature required part is stipulated from the originator. no problem with FedEx he was doing his job

FEDEX WONT LET ME PICK UP MY MAVIC AT A FEDEX LOCATION. I just checked FEDEX tracking and it says that my Mavic is in Illinois 5 hours away from where i live here in ohio. but scheduled delivery is not until Wednesday march 1st. I called fedex to see iof i could just pick up my mavic at a fedex location and they said it had to be delivered to my home and that only the shipper could change this requirment. Anyone else have this happen and is there a way to contact dji to change it .
2017-2-25
Use props
ThirstyHorde
lvl.1
Flight distance : 262047 ft
United States

I had the same issue,but I bought a new gimble cover..........very frustrating for such a cheap part.  I always purchase items from amazon and I'm sure the Fedex guy seen several boxes on my front porch out of the three attempts they made to deliver the cover. I eventually had to make a trip after work to the Fedex facility that's about a 45 minutes from my house to pick up the package.  
2017-2-26
Use props
Jdwyier
lvl.3

United States

The adult signature required is an Fed-Ex option that the shipper can choose to require, or not.  So yes, it is DJI making that choice, not Fed-Ex. My UPS guy signs for me all the time if I'm not home if a signature is required which I greatly appreciate. I don't know the Fed-Ex guy and he won't but I don't blame him, it's not worth potentially losing ones job over.
2017-2-26
Use props
armoredsaint
lvl.1
United States

My fedex guy said it's indirect signature so you can leave a note on the door and sign your name to release them from liability.
2017-2-26
Use props
GSPRODUCT
lvl.1
Flight distance : 2677 ft
United States

joe_mamma Posted at 2017-2-7 18:31
Did you know there was this rule?

RIIIIIGHT!!!!! that rule should be made VERY clear in a BOLD statement when    ORDERING!!!, and in emails from DJI and from FEDEX
2017-2-26
Use props
ChicagoDroneMAS
lvl.1

United States

My issue isn't that they require a signature but that they also won't allow you to pickup from the FedEx distribution center.  What?! This isn't a FedEx rule, it's a shipping restriction placed on the shipment by DJI.  So you have to be home M-F to sign for the shipment in person.  Which is quite frankly less secure.  Anyone can sign as long as they are an adult and at that location.  If I went to FedEx to pickup I'd have to show my ID and sign.  Regardless it's been 2 weeks since I ordered and still no Mavic (when the website said 1-3 days until it ships).  The original delay was due to the fact that I bought accessories that were back ordered.  DJI did not notify me of the delay and I only found out after contacting support (and demanded split shipment).  So rather than split the shipment as Amazon or any other quality online retailer would have, or even make a note on the order page of the delay or expected ship time, they were just going to wait 1 MONTH after my order date to ship it all together.
2017-3-30
Use props
fansa8c1bbc8
New
Flight distance : 25128 ft
United States

Why tell me why this is a known issue when I google "DJI signature required" and DJI still refuses to even mention it to the customer upon checkout or in the email I received that my item has been shipped and required signature? This way I could have planned on being home to sign. Come on DJI get with it! NOT HAPPY AT ALL!
2017-6-16
Use props
method007
First Officer
Flight distance : 110449 ft
  • >>>
United States

The moral of the story - FED-EX SUCKS.  They have sucked for years.  The only reason people even used them years ago was because they would happily ship your drugs, pick up your drug money and delivery the money to your door.

Out of all the delivers I get, everytime it's Fed-ex there is always a problem.  No matter how small or insignificant the package is - there will be a problem.

2017-6-16
Use props
thewearytravele
lvl.1
Flight distance : 373264 ft
United States

ChicagoDroneMAS Posted at 2017-3-30 06:47
My issue isn't that they require a signature but that they also won't allow you to pickup from the FedEx distribution center.  What?! This isn't a FedEx rule, it's a shipping restriction placed on the shipment by DJI.  So you have to be home M-F to sign for the shipment in person.  Which is quite frankly less secure.  Anyone can sign as long as they are an adult and at that location.  If I went to FedEx to pickup I'd have to show my ID and sign.  Regardless it's been 2 weeks since I ordered and still no Mavic (when the website said 1-3 days until it ships).  The original delay was due to the fact that I bought accessories that were back ordered.  DJI did not notify me of the delay and I only found out after contacting support (and demanded split shipment).  So rather than split the shipment as Amazon or any other quality online retailer would have, or even make a note on the order page of the delay or expected ship time, they were just going to wait 1 MONTH after my order date to ship it all together.

This happened to me, my goggles were signed for by some random, I wasn't home and they weren't delivered. Now I'm freaking out, and DJI is being extremely slow to respond, they had me file a police report which I did. I sent it to them and now I'm waiting back for a response.
I bought it through DJI on Amazon, and amazon was surprisingly of no help either.
2017-6-16
Use props
fanse344a7ab
New
Flight distance : 132936 ft
United States

I think part of the issue is DJI's fault. They select the courier (we have no options), and select the conditions even on something as small as a battery.  FedEx made only 1 actual physical delivery attempt to my address and have been flagging the subsequent days as customer not available without knocking on my door.  Thankfully most of their products can be purchased from Amazon whom has their shipping down like science.    Too many "courier" issues from one company is alarming to me.
2017-8-7
Use props
fansa703fa6f
lvl.1
Flight distance : 134108 ft
United States

I'm waiting for two separate Spark orders and the hassle I have had with FedEx is unreal.  Thankfully I was able to change one of the orders to be held at a location for pick-up, but I had to contact DJI to get FedEx to hold the other one and there's no guarantee it hasn't been returned to sender at this point.
I live in a condo building without a staffed desk and The FedEx delivery person refuses to contact me on the intercom, which rings my phone, or directly by phone when he is here.  Instead I get a notification about a missed delivery because "customer not available or business closed".  There are also no FedEx door tags being left at the entrance to the building.  I was here all day on both Friday and Saturday and I got a missed delivery notifications on both days.  I tried calling FedEx customer support, but they won't contact the driver and have him return so I can meet him downstairs.  All they will do is tell me when the next delivery attempt will be made which doesn't help me if no one rings when they arrive!  I can't just sit downstairs by the door for the entire delivery window and since there are no door tags I'm not very confident anyone is walking up to the door.  The customer service rep did say they would add a note that the driver is to call me and confirmed my telephone number and I also added a delivery note myself in the FedEx app, but I got another missed delivery notice today and no one rang my bell or called.

It's been extremely frustrating.  I order things practically every week from Amazon and the UPS and USPS people have no problems getting my packages to me.  I'm not sure what the problem is with FedEx, but they don't seem to care about this happening.  The worst part about signature delivery is that FedEx doesn't even require the person signing to be the person the package is addressed to.  In the past they have delivered my package to the wrong address and happily accepted the signature from some random person.  I don't even understand how that can happen since all you need to do to prevent that is compare the address on the package with the GPS location the FedEx device is at when they scan/sign.  Hopefully I get my second order tomorrow and can pick the first one up at FedEx, if it's been returned to sender I'm just going to buy one locally instead of through DJI's online store which would be unfortunate.
2017-12-4
Use props
Schlomer 1776
New

United States

It annoys me a lot as well because I swore in to the army at the age of 17. Its been a year now, I'm 18, and I paid for the drone with my own money and didnt realize that I was supposed to be 21 in order to even receive it after they deliver it. You think they would give some kind of warning earlier than they day its supposed to arrive.

I also believe it to be unfair because at my age im allowed to sign a blank check worth up to and including my life but dji thinks I'm too irresponsible due to my age to get a drone.
2019-2-21
Use props
BigAbe
lvl.1
Netherlands

Ican understand why you are frustrated, but on the other hand it is good that they didn't leave it behind carelessly. I once was expecting a package which they had hidden in my thrash can, which they picked up in the morning so, my entire drone broke down into pieces.
2019-2-21
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9812789 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

Schlomer 1776 Posted at 2-21 09:32
It annoys me a lot as well because I swore in to the army at the age of 17. Its been a year now, I'm 18, and I paid for the drone with my own money and didnt realize that I was supposed to be 21 in order to even receive it after they deliver it. You think they would give some kind of warning earlier than they day its supposed to arrive.

I also believe it to be unfair because at my age im allowed to sign a blank check worth up to and including my life but dji thinks I'm too irresponsible due to my age to get a drone.

Wow that’s a bit strange, try contacting a mod they might be able to help.
2019-2-21
Use props
Dog Flight
Second Officer
Flight distance : 3432156 ft
United States

FedEx dropped my mavic 2 Pro two doors down at the neighbor's and had him sign for it. Evidently FedEx drivers are illiterate. Thank God the neighbor was honest enough to bring me my drone.
2019-2-21
Use props
Picanoc Jack
Captain
Flight distance : 10149541 ft
Canada

Never had a problem with UPS, I reside on a very winding rd about 8 miles away from the village ,  the driver usually phones me ahead of time to find out if I'm home, I usually meet him in the village to sign for the parcel.
2019-3-1
Use props
12Next >
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules