Range Extender
3138 25 2017-2-6
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
NanoPixel.Studi
lvl.1
Flight distance : 311673 ft
United States

Has anyone found a range extender for the I2? I see online that their are plenty for the Phantom and Inspire 1. Will the range extender for the Inspire 1 work for the Inspire 2?

2017-2-6
Use props
rmaxwell.dccnet
lvl.4
Flight distance : 698661 ft
  • >>>
Canada

You must have exceptional vision that you can see farther than 7 km.  Of course you are't one of those people who have questionable judgement and don't obey the rules about always keeping your camera ship in sight???

Please don't ruin it for the rest of us who do have good judgement and follow the rules.
2017-2-6
Use props
Mikey.C
lvl.3
Flight distance : 3006693 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Maxwell get off your high horse i have lost signal range from 400 meters away and now always fly with a range extender to make absolute sure the signal is 100% does ''NOT'' mean i am flying out of sight. As the signal from the RC output is 360 deg you loose half your signal in the wrong direction i.e behind you! I basically made my own range extender and use it with the inspire pro and it has made the world of difference to my signal not flying out of sight but peace of mind.
2017-2-7
Use props
NJ Flying Slow
lvl.3
Flight distance : 765909 ft
United States

+1  Seriously...The Drone Police are annoying.  The OP had a very good question, there is no need to question his/her judgement.
2017-2-7
Use props
MadFrenchie
lvl.3
Flight distance : 914711 ft
United States

Its only time before someone builds a repeater for the I2,   Its not a complicated thing to build once you know how the signal transmission works, the only issue is getting it approved by the FCC, which takes quite some time.
2017-2-7
Use props
Donnie Stugots
Second Officer
Flight distance : 3636782 ft
United States

They are coming out with a 4G signal for the Inspire 2 , that will give unlimited range and NO drop out from building etc.  It is going to change the game and the rules in due time .  The simple curved shaped parabolic range extenders work great  with the Inspire 1 and will work with the Inspire 2 as well .

You should be getting great range with the Inspire 2 , I have not tested but in certain CONTROLLED  environments I can get 3 miles from my Inspire 1 , line of sight . BUT must turnaround immediatly  because the battery is at its limits,must also pay mind to the winds as that can cause grief in a hurry.  

donnie

donnie
2017-2-7
Use props
Donnie Stugots
Second Officer
United States

MadFrenchie Posted at 2017-2-7 04:43
Its only time before someone builds a repeater for the I2,   Its not a complicated thing to build once you know how the signal transmission works, the only issue is getting it approved by the FCC, which takes quite some time.

Read my post Number 6, the Inspire 2 will have 4g in the future .  game changer for sure

donnie

2017-2-7
Use props
I 2 Fly
lvl.4
Flight distance : 8176 ft
South Africa

rmaxwell.dccnet Posted at 2017-2-6 20:44
You must have exceptional vision that you can see farther than 7 km.  Of course you are't one of those people who have questionable judgement and don't obey the rules about always keeping your camera ship in sight???

Please don't ruin it for the rest of us who do have good judgement and follow the rules.

I think this was uncalled for... I too have the same issue - flying my I2 250m away and getting a signal issue (while my friend right next to me with a Mavic laughs his butt off - both on 2.4).  Be decent, apologize and let this forum be used by everyone without fear of senseless ridicule (as can be seen in most other forums, driving decent people away...)
2017-2-7
Use props
rmaxwell.dccnet
lvl.4
Flight distance : 698661 ft
  • >>>
Canada

I 2 Fly Posted at 2017-2-7 06:01
I think this was uncalled for... I too have the same issue - flying my I2 250m away and getting a signal issue (while my friend right next to me with a Mavic laughs his butt off - both on 2.4).  Be decent, apologize and let this forum be used by everyone without fear of senseless ridicule (as can be seen in most other forums, driving decent people away...)

I have both an Inspire 1 and 2.  I fly within line of sight and I have never experienced a weak signal.  If you are flying within line of sight and are experiencing a weak signal I apologize.

I would suggest checking your antenna positioning and how you orient yourself with respect to the aircraft.

If you are flying beyond line of sight, shame on you!  You risk bringing new regulations down on us.
2017-2-7
Use props
I 2 Fly
lvl.4
South Africa

rmaxwell.dccnet Posted at 2017-2-7 10:17
I have both an Inspire 1 and 2.  I fly within line of sight and I have never experienced a weak signal.  If you are flying within line of sight and are experiencing a weak signal I apologize.

I would suggest checking your antenna positioning and how you orient yourself with respect to the aircraft.

Thanks.  I fly a P4, a P4 P and the Inspire 2.  I find that the I2 has an issue with connectivity with the controller / both antenna in the right direction at this stage.  I have tried 2.4 / 5.8 of which 5.8 is even worse... hence the experimenting with extenders / boosters.
2017-2-7
Use props
sfdrones.tv
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1257218 ft
  • >>>
United States

Simple question but do you have your iPad in Airplane mode? I find if I accidentally leave the wifi on, that my video signal is nowhere near as good.
2017-2-11
Use props
I 2 Fly
lvl.4
South Africa

Always all connection to WiFi, 3G, cell connection - all off and Airplane mode on!  Always.. it is part of my preflight check.
2017-2-11
Use props
Aeromirage
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1778045 ft
  • >>>
United States

Here's what I wonder about with all of these signal booster mods, parabolic reflectors, etc.
Focusing or boosting your RC's signal, the AC would receive a stronger signal with perhaps less interference.
But, nothing is done to the AC to boost it's transmission(s) back to the RC.
Isn't radio control a 2 way street?
2017-2-11
Use props
Coigreach
lvl.4
Flight distance : 546014 ft
Australia

Settle down drone police... I thought that this was a place for people to come and ask questions and get civil answers. not be talked down too by some that think they are better than others!
2017-2-11
Use props
Coigreach
lvl.4
Australia

Donnie Stugots Posted at 2017-2-7 04:52
Read my post Number 6, the Inspire 2 will have 4g in the future .  game changer for sure

donnie

Donnie, Have you got enough point to buy your inspire 2 yet? buy my reckoning it could take you 78 years and 3 months unless you start posting more!
2017-2-11
Use props
Donnie Stugots
Second Officer
United States

Coigreach Posted at 2017-2-11 21:00
Donnie, Have you got enough point to buy your inspire 2 yet? buy my reckoning it could take you 78 years and 3 months unless you start posting more!

Just a few more post and I will have enough for the down Payment !!!

donnie

( Now, one more post closer to Nirvana )
PS, on this link below  , go to post number 39 (. It only takes me 40 or so post's to solve a problem.....I, Must be getting the hang of this DJI stuff )

http://forum.dji.com/thread-83763-1-1.html
2017-2-12
Use props
Coigreach
lvl.4
Australia

Donnie Stugots Posted at 2017-2-12 03:16
Just a few more post and I will have enough for the down Payment !!!

donnie

Ha HA you DAG!

P.S. reply to this for an extra point!
2017-2-12
Use props
NJ Flying Slow
lvl.3
United States

Ummm, I should be flying in airplane mode?  What an idiot, that is probably why I am almost lost my I2...I didn't have it in airplane mode and my house alone (which my home point was) has 4 enterprise access points and two commercial wireless p2p radios...it's pretty congested around here.   Thanks to this forum I learn every day.  
2017-2-12
Use props
Donnie Stugots
Second Officer
United States

NJ Flying Slow  Posted at 2017-2-12 05:59
Ummm, I should be flying in airplane mode?  What an idiot, that is probably why I am almost lost my I2...I didn't have it in airplane mode and my house alone (which my home point was) has 4 enterprise access points and two commercial wireless p2p radios...it's pretty congested around here.   Thanks to this forum I learn every day.

I never fly In airplane Mode but if it works for you  Go For it !!   ( Just saying not mandatory in most cases )

Try flying with Custom Chanel Mode  #20, ( Image Transmission settings on go App )  this is the cleanest channel that has no conflict with routers and what not , give it a try .  

Have fun ,
donnie
2017-2-12
Use props
Donnie Stugots
Second Officer
United States

Coigreach Posted at 2017-2-12 05:51
Ha HA you DAG!

P.S. reply to this for an extra point!

You know I can't resist  a direct challenge like that  !

donnie
2017-2-12
Use props
NJ Flying Slow
lvl.3
United States

Donnie Stugots Posted at 2017-2-12 06:09
I never fly In airplane Mode but if it works for you  Go For it !!   ( Just saying not mandatory in most cases )

Try flying with Custom Chanel Mode  #20, ( Image Transmission settings on go App )  this is the cleanest channel that has no conflict with routers and what not , give it a try .  

Will do thx Donnie
2017-2-12
Use props
Coigreach
lvl.4
Australia

Donnie Stugots Posted at 2017-2-12 06:09
You know I can't resist  a direct challenge like that  !

donnie

Donnie you should start a thread "general chit chat with donnie" I think you could get your points that way without doing anything other than chatting ...pmsl
2017-2-12
Use props
NanoPixel.Studi
lvl.1
United States

rmaxwell.dccnet Posted at 2017-2-6 20:44

I am not flying out of LOS. It was just a simple question. I am very well aware of the regulations as I do have an FAA part 107 certification. I also want to have the best signal possible especially when doing tower inspections.  
2017-2-15
Use props
NanoPixel.Studi
lvl.1
United States

sfdrones.tv Posted at 2017-2-11 09:08
Simple question but do you have your iPad in Airplane mode? I find if I accidentally leave the wifi on, that my video signal is nowhere near as good.

I'll have to check next time to make sure I didn't do this. I have an iPad pro so it has cellular connection but not sure if it was still in wifi. I would think that once I was out of wifi range it would switch automatically.
2017-2-15
Use props
NanoPixel.Studi
lvl.1
United States

Donnie Stugots Posted at 2017-2-7 04:51
They are coming out with a 4G signal for the Inspire 2 , that will give unlimited range and NO drop out from building etc.  It is going to change the game and the rules in due time .  The simple curved shaped parabolic range extenders work great  with the Inspire 1 and will work with the Inspire 2 as well .

You should be getting great range with the Inspire 2 , I have not tested but in certain CONTROLLED  environments I can get 3 miles from my Inspire 1 , line of sight . BUT must turnaround immediatly  because the battery is at its limits,must also pay mind to the winds as that can cause grief in a hurry.  

This is good info. Thanks Donnie!
2017-2-15
Use props
sfdrones.tv
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1257218 ft
  • >>>
United States

NanoPixel.Studi Posted at 2017-2-15 13:14
I'll have to check next time to make sure I didn't do this. I have an iPad pro so it has cellular connection but not sure if it was still in wifi. I would think that once I was out of wifi range it would switch automatically.

It may or may not make any difference for some but I have found that whenever I leave the iPad in wifi mode that my signal goes to hell and dramatically loses distance. Works for me but who knows if it works for everyone.
2017-2-18
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules