2193 40 2017-2-6
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
CyFA
lvl.3
Flight distance : 1372369 ft
  • >>>
Cyprus

Can anyone tell me what on earth is going on?
Am in a remote location and hard to get there, taking photos and video. Return to the office and only a few photos from the first flight are there but all the videos are recorded.
Checking the sequence i can see the are all in order apart from the time that is showing wrong.
I also got a front sensor error that day and needed calibration.
Uploaded the flight to HD and as you can see i was taking photos but dont have any saved.
They also do not show on the multypad.

Photos shot but not saved

Photos shot but not saved
2017-2-6
Use props
DJI-Jamie
DJI team
Flight distance : 112405 ft
United States

Just to clarify, were you using the Go app or a 3rd party app? Did you make sure that you gave the unit enough time to write the images onto the SD card? Are you using the stock Lexar 16 GB SD card that came with the unit or an aftermarket card?
2017-2-6
Use props
Geebax
First Officer
Australia

Where are you looking for the photos? On the SD Card in the aircraft or your tablet?
2017-2-6
Use props
CyFA
lvl.3
  • >>>
Cyprus

Sorry for the edit but replied further down correctly.
2017-2-6
Use props
CyFA
lvl.3
  • >>>
Cyprus

Geebax Posted at 2017-2-6 23:13
Where are you looking for the photos? On the SD Card in the aircraft or your tablet?

SD Card but also the same photos and video on tablet
2017-2-6
Use props
CyFA
lvl.3
  • >>>
Cyprus

DJI-Jamie Posted at 2017-2-6 22:51
Just to clarify, were you using the Go app or a 3rd party app? Did you make sure that you gave the unit enough time to write the images onto the SD card? Are you using the stock Lexar 16 GB SD card that came with the unit or an aftermarket card?

Thanks for the reply!
I am always using the DJI Go 4, i like it to be honest!
The card is a 64GB Class 10 U3 (also use the exact same specs a second one i have in the Osmo). I have been using this card in all previous flights and format every time before i take off for the first time.
As mentioned, ALL videos in 4K are there with no problem.
Gave it time? Yes, heard the click sound and i was watching the circle finishing, re-framed and then take another photo if needed.
The odd thing this day was that every time it took a photo, the frame (live view) froze, then it shook and overexposed but 3 seconds later it was back to normal.
This occurred in every shot but not the video.
2017-2-6
Use props
Geebax
First Officer
Australia

CyFA Posted at 2017-2-6 23:24
SD Card but also the same photos and video on tablet

That is very odd behaviour, and I think I have heard someone report a similar thing with a P4P. But unfortunately I do not recall what the solution was.
2017-2-7
Use props
CyFA
lvl.3
  • >>>
Cyprus

Geebax Posted at 2017-2-7 00:07
That is very odd behaviour, and I think I have heard someone report a similar thing with a P4P. But unfortunately I do not recall what the solution was.

Waiting for the new update release that hopefully will fix a few issues we may have.
I have all ready downgraded and upgraded again, reset all settings, format etc and need to test asap.
Cant afford such a problem again.
2017-2-7
Use props
embayweather
lvl.4
Flight distance : 556667 ft
United Kingdom

CyFA Posted at 2017-2-7 01:48
Waiting for the new update release that hopefully will fix a few issues we may have.
I have all ready downgraded and upgraded again, reset all settings, format etc and need to test asap.
Cant afford such a problem again.

It is possible that the card may be corrupt. I have had similar problems with 'normal' cameras. Download an image recovery program and just have a quick look. If it recovers the images great, on not at least you know that the card is fine.
2017-2-7
Use props
CyFA
lvl.3
  • >>>
Cyprus

embayweather Posted at 2017-2-7 05:13
It is possible that the card may be corrupt. I have had similar problems with 'normal' cameras. Download an image recovery program and just have a quick look. If it recovers the images great, on not at least you know that the card is fine.

Hi, as mentioned, the index (numbering) are in order therefore nothing missing in these terms.
I did a quick recovery check to be honest and found the same ones i already have.
If it was a card problem, then the videos would also be damaged or not written i imagine but thanks for the reply!
2017-2-7
Use props
DJI-Jamie
DJI team
United States

CyFA Posted at 2017-2-7 07:42
Hi, as mentioned, the index (numbering) are in order therefore nothing missing in these terms.
I did a quick recovery check to be honest and found the same ones i already have.
If it was a card problem, then the videos would also be damaged or not written i imagine but thanks for the reply!

Just to clarify, do you use JPG, RAW or both? When you take the stills, is it via the RC or do you use the app interface? When you look at the flight record in the Go app, does it happen to record where you took the missing stills or do those specific ones not show up?
2017-2-7
Use props
CyFA
lvl.3
  • >>>
Cyprus

DJI-Jamie Posted at 2017-2-7 12:54
Just to clarify, do you use JPG, RAW or both? When you take the stills, is it via the RC or do you use the app interface? When you look at the flight record in the Go app, does it happen to record where you took the missing stills or do those specific ones not show up?

Hi Jamie!
I only shoot RAW and use the RC buttons but look at the monitor to confirm that it takes the frame i want.
From the time it stops recording the photos (videos are ok) they do not show up.
2017-2-7
Use props
DJI-Jamie
DJI team
United States

CyFA Posted at 2017-2-7 21:11
Hi Jamie!
I only shoot RAW and use the RC buttons but look at the monitor to confirm that it takes the frame i want.
From the time it stops recording the photos (videos are ok) they do not show up.

From what you can see, there does not seem to be any other subfolders on the SD card that the RAW stills would be? Just to further troubleshoot, can you try shooting in JPG to see if it does the same thing? Just to make sure I'm on the same page, none of the pictures saved from that trip, correct?
2017-2-7
Use props
CyFA
lvl.3
  • >>>
Cyprus

DJI-Jamie Posted at 2017-2-7 22:41
From what you can see, there does not seem to be any other subfolders on the SD card that the RAW stills would be? Just to further troubleshoot, can you try shooting in JPG to see if it does the same thing? Just to make sure I'm on the same page, none of the pictures saved from that trip, correct?

Thank you Jamie for the reply!
Yes, only the photos from the 2nd fight photos of a total of 7 flights that day were recorded but all 7 flights videos are ok. Actually there was one new sub-folder (not under the usual folder) and had some smaller sized photos but were the same as those recorded.
I have since then downgraded, upgraded, done all the calibrations and formated the card but have not fly since then.
I will fly again very soon and try. I can shoot in raw and jpg and see the results appearing on the application this time if you wish. Cant afford not recording the photos, its a shame at least.
Attached is a set of photos from the flights that day where clearly we can see the shots i took.

7 flights

7 flights
2017-2-8
Use props
CyFA
lvl.3
  • >>>
Cyprus

Here is all the footage taken that day and copied from the card. All numbers are correct but no photos found although we know 100% that i took them and the log files confirm this!
Hope this helps!

all recordered

all recordered
2017-2-8
Use props
DJI-Jamie
DJI team
United States

CyFA Posted at 2017-2-8 06:49
Here is all the footage taken that day and copied from the card. All numbers are correct but no photos found although we know 100% that i took them and the log files confirm this!
Hope this helps!

Based on your screenshot, the RAW .DNG photos are present. When you try to open them, are they unreadable?
2017-2-8
Use props
KM5RG-Robert
Second Officer
Flight distance : 2075213 ft
United States

Yeah, the photos are there. 12 of them.
You do realize the .DNG files are your RAW photos right?

2017-2-8
Use props
CyFA
lvl.3
  • >>>
Cyprus

DJI-Jamie Posted at 2017-2-8 10:06
Based on your screenshot, the RAW .DNG photos are present. When you try to open them, are they unreadable?

Dear Jamie,
According to what i shot (and i know) and to the screenshots i attached from HD, i took 80 photos that day in RAW format and it only recorded 12. So 68 photos have vanished!!!!! All i have is readable.
I have attached the screenshots of the flights so you can see and compare.
Sorry but cant make it any more clear for anyone am afraid.
2017-2-8
Use props
CyFA
lvl.3
  • >>>
Cyprus

KM5RG-Robert Posted at 2017-2-8 12:06
Yeah, the photos are there. 12 of them.
You do realize the .DNG files are your RAW photos right?

Yes Robert only 12 out 80 am afraid
Yes i do know since i only shoot raw for years now with all my cameras (Nikon, Canon and even with my P3P). ;)
Thanks for the reply but it seems i am getting nowhere with this and only an update may fix this IF there is nothing wrong with the hardware!
2017-2-8
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 9991457 ft
  • >>>
Australia

CyFA Posted at 2017-2-8 22:01
Yes i do know since i only shoot raw for years now with all my cameras (Nikon, Canon and even with my P3P). ;)
Thanks for the reply but it seems i am getting nowhere with this and only an update may fix this IF there is nothing wrong with the hardware!

So fire up the Phantom on your desk and do some test shooting.
See if you can replicate the issue and how to work things so it doesn't happen again.
It's not an issue anyone else is reporting so it may be something to do with the way you did things.
See if it does that all the time, in which case there may be a problem that needs fixing or if you can work around it.
2017-2-8
Use props
DJI-Jamie
DJI team
United States

CyFA Posted at 2017-2-8 21:54
Dear Jamie,
According to what i shot (and i know) and to the screenshots i attached from HD, i took 80 photos that day in RAW format and it only recorded 12. So 68 photos have vanished!!!!! All i have is readable.
I have attached the screenshots of the flights so you can see and compare.

Just to clarify, were you using HDR or any other function where you're taking multiple shots at once? Was the SD card getting full, could you happen to clarify what brand 64 GB SD card you're using for reference? Ideally you would want to perform one more test flight to see if this reoccurs, it would be preferred to try JPG + RAW as previously discussed in order to better troubleshoot this. I'm sorry if this was missed, but could you verify what mobile device you're using and which Go app version?
2017-2-8
Use props
CyFA
lvl.3
  • >>>
Cyprus

Labroides Posted at 2017-2-8 22:11
See if you can replicate the issue and how to work things so it doesn't happen again.
It's not an issue anyone else is reporting so it may be something to do with the way you did things.

Thanks Labroides for the suggestions!
I did that and seems to work but i did this test after i downgraded, upgraded, reset, calibrated etc ... dont feel confident about this craft anymore.
Later the same day it came up with a warning of the front sensors needed calibration ... try to do that on pad in the middle of nowhere?
The strange thing is that the first flight did NOT record any photos (remember that all video i took is there) and the second flight photos are there. After that all flight did not record any photos!
Trying to replicate is going to be a pain in the rear
2017-2-8
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Australia

CyFA Posted at 2017-2-8 22:28
Thanks Labroides for the suggestions!
I did that and seems to work but i did this test after i downgraded, upgraded, reset, calibrated etc ... dont feel confident about this craft anymore.
Later the same day it came up with a warning of the front sensors needed calibration ... try to do that on pad in the middle of nowhere?

Just put in on your desk and take a lot of bunch photos.
Take 10 pix - see if you have 10 pix on the card.
Take some more.
See if there really is a problem.
If it had anything to do with firmware, there would be lots of people complaining about it (and there aren't)

And regarding sensor calibration ... that's just frills and won't have any impact on taking photos.
You can turn the sensors off and fly happily and safely.

2017-2-8
Use props
CyFA
lvl.3
  • >>>
Cyprus

DJI-Jamie Posted at 2017-2-8 22:19
Just to clarify, were you using HDR or any other function where you're taking multiple shots at once? Was the SD card getting full, could you happen to clarify what brand 64 GB SD card you're using for reference? Ideally you would want to perform one more test flight to see if this reoccurs, it would be preferred to try JPG + RAW as previously discussed in order to better troubleshoot this. I'm sorry if this was missed, but could you verify what mobile device you're using and which Go app version?

Jamie thanks.
I do not use any of the camera functions (HDR etc) apart from the manual settings for specific photo shooting. That day it was on Auto 3x2 RAW.
The SD is 64GB Netac Pro U3 XC I (i have and use the same in my Osmo).  Nowhere close to full. Total that day 24.6 GB footage.
Device used is Samsung (Android) Tab S 8.4 with (as previously mentioned) DJI GO 4 latest version installed.
Please also check my previous post where i mentioned that the camera after upgrading and using the craft a few times, it suddenly hanged like dead with no warnings or anything.
I had to downgrade to get it to work.
I am starting to believe that there is a hardware failure with the Gimbal/Camera!
Thanks!
2017-2-8
Use props
CyFA
lvl.3
  • >>>
Cyprus

Labroides Posted at 2017-2-8 22:35
Just put in on your desk and take a lot of bunch photos.
Take 10 pix - see if you have 10 pix on the card.
Take some more.

I did just that with the sensors, ignored until i got back ... no other option where i was he he he
Now the reason i am mentioning firmware is, as explained in an other post, the craft when powered on, initialized everything, got ready with no errors and ... 5 seconds later the camera just hanged like dead!
Refresh of firmware did nothing and It only came back after i downgraded.
Talking to the online support, they said its a known issue and will be corrected with the next firmware.
2017-2-8
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Australia

CyFA Posted at 2017-2-8 23:00
I did just that with the sensors, ignored until i got back ... no other option where i was he he he
Now the reason i am mentioning firmware is, as explained in an other post, the craft when powered on, initialized everything, got ready with no errors and ... 5 seconds later the camera just hanged like dead!
Refresh of firmware did nothing and It only came back after i downgraded.

Take anything from online support with a grain of salt.
It might be correct but it often isn't.

The important thing for you is to find out if you have a real problem that will affect you every time you try shooting or if it was a mysterious one-off glitch or something to do with the way you were using the camera trigger.
Do some test shooting and find out.
2017-2-8
Use props
KM5RG-Robert
Second Officer
Flight distance : 2075213 ft
United States

CyFA Posted at 2017-2-8 22:01

Sorry. I was not clear on how many you had shot.
Yes shoot some on your desk, and if that is ok, head outside and fly in the yard and do the same thing. Just keep trying it until you are satisfied if it is ok or not before you head out to another location.
2017-2-9
Use props
CyFA
lvl.3
  • >>>
Cyprus

Thank you all for your replies!
Need to clear something here. I have been flying for years and among other owned the P2, P3P and now the P4Pro.
Now, as mentioned previously, i had downgraded, upgraded, performed all calibrations with the same SD and so I took it out yesterday for a test.
Results were ... 108 photos (+ the jpg's as advised) and 34 videos. All was ok apart from the known issue of overexposed first photo.
This was done in the same location with the same settings apart from photo size (4X3), feet instead of meters and left the frequency unchanged to whatever it went automatically but signal was always not strong with the known pauses etc on live view.
Conclusion? Dont know what on earth is going on to be honest.
2017-2-9
Use props
Geebax
First Officer
Australia

CyFA Posted at 2017-2-9 22:06
Thank you all for your replies!
Need to clear something here. I have been flying for years and among other owned the P2, P3P and now the P4Pro.
Now, as mentioned previously, i had downgraded, upgraded, performed all calibrations with the same SD and so I took it out yesterday for a test.

I have two suggestions, the first is to format your SD card in the aircraft after you copy off the photos and videos, then you start with a clean slate every time.

The second is to get another SD card. I have never heard of a Netac brand card and would be thoroughly suspicious of it. Yes, I know you said it works in your Osmo, but that does not always guarantee it will work in the Phantom 4, it places more demands on the card than the Osmo does. Try a Sandisk Extreme series card, if that does not solve your problem I would be surprised.

From what I am able to determine, there is no buffer capacity in the DJI aircraft's video processing system, so if a card cannot keep up in terms of sustained write speed, it just simply stops recording, and that would adequately explain what you have described here.

2017-2-10
Use props
blackcrusader
lvl.4
Flight distance : 689774 ft
Taiwan

I use the 64gb sandisk EXTREME   do not use anything less in read write speed.
2017-2-10
Use props
CyFA
lvl.3
  • >>>
Cyprus

Geebax Posted at 2017-2-10 00:22
I have two suggestions, the first is to format your SD card in the aircraft after you copy off the photos and videos, then you start with a clean slate every time.

The second is to get another SD card. I have never heard of a Netac brand card and would be thoroughly suspicious of it. Yes, I know you said it works in your Osmo, but that does not always guarantee it will work in the Phantom 4, it places more demands on the card than the Osmo does. Try a Sandisk Extreme series card, if that does not solve your problem I would be surprised.

Note taken but my simple question would be .. why was there no problem with the high in demand 4K videos (4096×2160 50FPS) if it was the card? ;)
Again mentioned ... i always format the card before i do any kind of work. That means on the field in the camera, craft or whatever i am using. Its common practice for me for years! If a problem occurs then its replaced with another.
Remember i tested the same card again after all the procedures mentioned and had no issues. ;)
2017-2-10
Use props
CyFA
lvl.3
  • >>>
Cyprus

blackcrusader Posted at 2017-2-10 00:33
I use the 64gb sandisk EXTREME   do not use anything less in read write speed.

Thanks but no problems with write speed here since 4k 50FPS worked fine ... its was the photos that were never recorded. ;)
2017-2-10
Use props
blackcrusader
lvl.4
Flight distance : 689774 ft
Taiwan

CyFA Posted at 2017-2-10 04:48
Thanks but no problems with write speed here since 4k 50FPS worked fine ... its was the photos that were never recorded. ;)

Yup.  Bummer.  It did happen to me once too and no idea why.  But I am only taking pics for fun for the people where I live to see their area from another perspective.  Still when you have taken really nice pics and spent a lot of time its really sad when it happens.
2017-2-10
Use props
CyFA
lvl.3
  • >>>
Cyprus

blackcrusader Posted at 2017-2-10 05:02
Yup.  Bummer.  It did happen to me once too and no idea why.  But I am only taking pics for fun for the people where I live to see their area from another perspective.  Still when you have taken really nice pics and spent a lot of time its really sad when it happens.

Thank you for the reply and for confirming i am not the only one that had this issue!
I went a few days later to the same spot after i did all things mentioned before to test ... results were great but not what i had that day. As you wrote ... Bummer
As you can see, i love photography and have a few international awards and titles.
Photo 1 screenshot from video - Photo 2 actual photo taken yesterday .. i will get that shot i want some day ;)

Screenshot from video

Screenshot from video

Actual photo

Actual photo
2017-2-10
Use props
Geebax
First Officer
Australia

CyFA Posted at 2017-2-10 04:46
Note taken but my simple question would be .. why was there no problem with the high in demand 4K videos (4096×2160 50FPS) if it was the card? ;)
Again mentioned ... i always format the card before i do any kind of work. That means on the field in the camera, craft or whatever i am using. Its common practice for me for years! If a problem occurs then its replaced with another.
Remember i tested the same card again after all the procedures mentioned and had no issues. ;)

If you get a Sandisk Extreme, the worst thing that can happen is that you have a spare card. The best thing is that it might solve your problem.  
2017-2-10
Use props
Zeldon50
lvl.2
Flight distance : 11634 ft
United States

Unfortunately, I doubt it is the sd , I have a SanDisk extreme and I am suffering from the same problem that he is. I am going to try a different light and cable to see if that could possibly be causing the problem.
2017-3-1
Use props
Zeldon50
lvl.2
United States

Labroides Posted at 2017-2-8 22:11

Actually, I am having the same problem... see my separate thread on this.
zeldon50
2017-3-1
Use props
CyFA
lvl.3
  • >>>
Cyprus

Zeldon50 Posted at 2017-3-1 08:38
Unfortunately, I doubt it is the sd , I have a SanDisk extreme and I am suffering from the same problem that he is. I am going to try a different light and cable to see if that could possibly be causing the problem.

Temporary solution worked for me and has nothing to do with the SD card as well mentioned is ...
Downgrade via DJI Assistant 2, upgrade and do all calibrations. Hopefully it will "fix"this issue but you will get other problems that i hope you dont.
Still waiting for the next firmware update but i gather so many bugs to fix thay dont know where to start with and what will be effected he he he
2017-3-1
Use props
Zeldon50
lvl.2
United States

Well, I set my drone up indoors and fired off about 75 frames… Guess what? Everyone showed up! ( Murphy's Law, right?) Anyway, I guess what I'm going to have to do when I fly is to check in the images folder each time I shoot a series of five frames (AEB) and be sure the images are there before I move onto my next subject. As for waiting for firmware to resolve this issue, I would be surprised if were addressed. It appears that there have not been too many people complaining about it. I have seen much bigger issues (horizon tilt for one) that zillions of people have been complaining about, and yet it continues to be there regardless of firmware updates.
2017-3-2
Use props
Bullflyer
lvl.4

Spain

Could it be some defective internal connection, and that the vibrations affect?      
This is not the first time this happens

2017-3-3
Use props
12Next >
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules