Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Video quality and focus pretty bad even compared to P3P
1177 11 2017-2-7
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
alirz5
Second Officer
Flight distance : 609833 ft
Canada

So i've read several threads concerning video quality on the mavic. I had received my mavic about two weeks ago and just got back from vacation where i used it for the first time to record video. Everything was shot in 4k 30fps.
Now im aware of the whole manual focus thing. But i also know that the dji go 4 app has some sort of auto focus which automatically focuses when the mavic moves around?
One thing that is bothering me that is some of my videos seems to have really bad quality, top/mid left portion of the video is almost always blurry and some building and trees look like paintings ...There is some serious video compression problem or the camera is total crap!!!

Im wondering if its camera settings or a bad camera?
Im going to try to post some clips. By comparision my Phantom 3's videos are 1000% better looking

EDIT: Sample video link. I didnt put it on youtube as i didnt yougtube processing the video in anyway.. These samples are straight out of the aircraft, no editing.
The video clips are of the same area howere were recorded about two years apart.

Phantom 3 pro sample (January 2015): https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/4883446/Phantom%203%20pro.mp4

Mavic samples (January 2017): https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/4883446/mavic.mp4

2017-2-7
Use props
MoHoGalore
lvl.1
Flight distance : 206617 ft
United States

I have the same concern with mine except the area on mine is the lower right hand corner. Here's 4k, auto settings. (Before anyone says I should have set manual focus, etc, I want to point out to look at the entire frame and then look at the lower right. There's no reasonable explanation on why that would be out of focus and everything else isn't.)

2017-2-7
Use props
alirz5
Second Officer
Canada

i updated my post above to show raw samples..
P3 sample used the VIVID color setting
Mavic used: True color.
2017-2-7
Use props
alirz5
Second Officer
Canada

MoHoGalore Posted at 2017-2-7 06:46
I have the same concern with mine except the area on mine is the lower right hand corner. Here's 4k, auto settings. (Before anyone says I should have set manual focus, etc, I want to point out to look at the entire frame and then look at the lower right. There's no reasonable explanation on why that would be out of focus and everything else isn't.)

Focus Frustration

Yup. I see the same problem in your video too.. Especially some tree branches look like a blurry blob.
2017-2-7
Use props
MoHoGalore
lvl.1
Flight distance : 206617 ft
United States

alirz5 Posted at 2017-2-7 06:52
Yup. I see the same problem in your video too.. Especially some tree branches look like a blurry blob.

I'll give you the rundown on what I've been advised with talking to DJI..

They wanted the Mavic firmware refreshed and then go through all calibrations. (IMU, compass, sensor calibration). I did all that and that's the end result.

Point of interest - The Mavic was shipped with .0300 firmware and DJI Assistant 2 only has .0200 available.

If you're looking at resetting in hopes to fix it, I wouldn't recommend downgrading firmware until you've reset while you probably have the latest firmware. Be sure to check.

And I'll be sending mine back..
2017-2-7
Use props
alirz5
Second Officer
Canada

Yeh i dont believe in downgrading firmwares to fix issue. That is BS to me. Mine came with .0300 fw also.
When you say you'll sending it back. you mean returning it? How are you going to do that, was it purchased from Amazon or something?
2017-2-7
Use props
DJI-Thor
Administrator
Flight distance : 13602 ft

Hi, please contact our support on www.dji.com/support and follow instructions to send them back.
2017-2-7
Use props
fans464c96e6
lvl.3

Canada

DJI-Thor Posted at 2017-2-7 22:25
Hi, please contact our support on www.dji.com/support and follow instructions to send them back.

There are no instructions? What are you talking about.. you mean to talk to the support reps and see what they do? i doubt they will help. I have had pretty bad experience with DJI support like most people here on this forums.
2017-2-8
Use props
fans464c96e6
lvl.3

Canada

why is there is no official answer if DJI is working on fixing the video code compression issue with the MAVIC. Why do you ignore these questions?
Just like tilted horizon issue with the Gimbal.. Does your company have no obligation to your customers? are you just here to collect our money?
2017-2-8
Use props
CheckYourSix
lvl.3

United States

I don't mean to switch topics but what's even more noticeable to me is the horizon. Both videos of the Mavic are very askew. Is this normal? Is there way to fix the tilt of the horizon and if so, is that done pre-flight or in-flight. Just curious. I don't own one (yet).
2017-2-8
Use props
fans464c96e6
lvl.3

Canada

yeh tilted horizon is an old DJI issue with all their drones...They are never going to fix that garbage.. I've opened a case with DJI. I sucked it up with i got my P3P two years ago and beared with its issues. But no way im sticking with the Mavic issues, They either fix this, or im going to fight till get a refund on this!!!
2017-2-8
Use props
CaptainFantasti
lvl.4
Flight distance : 48868 ft
Switzerland

There is obviously a problem with the cameras noise reduction kicking in at 0 Sharpness and below. When there is enough light and contrast you should be fine with 0.
Until a possible fix you can use sharpness +1 and do a NR in post if needed.

And this just my personal experience but i think Dji is doing a great job with listening to customers and also with showing presence in the Forum.
Go over to the blackmagic forum and ask the people who waited a year for their ursa minis... how some people can start a thread and complaining
that they haven't heard back from dji when their drone is in repair for 49 hours when read that they should get answer in 48 hours, is beyond my head.

2017-2-8
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules