Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
NFZ Borders of Confusion (RESOLVED)
4895 69 2017-2-7
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
superjet96
lvl.4
Flight distance : 142743 ft
United States

I was thinking the same about my error.  I have never used DJI before so not sure what to look for but it looks like an error message than anything.  I am wondering with what they came back on your rejected form if you need just one of those requirements filled or a combination.  I am guessing having a part 107 probably isn't enough,  you would probably need a reason to fly as well.
I hope this wind dies down soon!
2017-2-9
Use props
Ex Machina
Captain
Flight distance : 1806362 ft
United States

After my email reasserting the area in question was already in green/yellow zones, DJI has approved my unlock request. I'll test tomorrow and let everyone know how it goes.

I get the feeling that my first request was algorithmically denied, since in a properly working system, no one would ever submit a request that didn't require authorization documents.
2017-2-10
Use props
superjet96
lvl.4
United States

Wow that is really good news!  Let us know.  How long a time period did you request?
2017-2-10
Use props
Ex Machina
Captain
United States

superjet96 Posted at 2017-2-10 08:58
Wow that is really good news!  Let us know.  How long a time period did you request?

DJI limits unlock requests to 3 months max so that's what I went for. There's also a 30km radius max limit; I went for 2km, hoping to avoid complications with taking it too close to the DC NFZ but giving me some breathing room to fly.
2017-2-10
Use props
That Bex
lvl.1
Flight distance : 768 ft
United States

Ex Machina Posted at 2017-2-10 09:13
DJI limits unlock requests to 3 months max so that's what I went for. There's also a 30km radius max limit; I went for 2km, hoping to avoid complications with taking it too close to the DC NFZ but giving me some breathing room to fly.

That's great that they finally approved the manual unlocking - I think you're correct in assuming that they "auto-reject" any initial request that doesn't include all of the requested forms to "check the boxes" in the system. Hopefully, your 2nd explanation was enough to earn a max-length unlock and will work for others.

I'm concerned that the manual unlocking won't work for those of us flying Android - the website indicates the service is only for iOS users. If you are able to fly, it may be time to investigate a cheap iphone on craigslist until they get this fixed... They really need to get cracking on fixing the incorrect geofence - until everyone in the DC area with a Mavic figures this out and makes the request, it's gonna keep a lot of people on the ground unnecessarily. Good lucking getting in the air!
2017-2-10
Use props
superjet96
lvl.4
United States

Ex Machina Posted at 2017-2-10 09:13

Good I will have to give it a shot.  I have no desire to fly in the DFZ so even 1km would do just fine for me.  
2017-2-10
Use props
Ex Machina
Captain
United States

fansabe5d35c Posted at 2017-2-8 21:56
Aw, for crying out loud. I just saw that bit about iOS on the unlock page. I'm flying (or trying to) with an android. Guess I'm screwed until they fix the geofence in the firmware or I go out and get an ipad mini (which would also let me fly FPV via the HDMI port to my Fat Sharks) and try to get them to manually unlock my bird. So frustrating.

Dunno if this will help with unlocking, but there's a brand new version of the Android Go4 app that contains a new No-Fly Zone database being discussed on this thread: http://forum.dji.com/thread-84471-1-1.html
2017-2-10
Use props
Ex Machina
Captain
United States

Success!

At first I thought the unlocking wasn't working for me -- this is because the interface is a bit counter-intuitive.

Once you connect to the Mavic in an area that needs unlocking, you need to go to Go 4's General settings and scroll down until you see the UnLimit Area option, which is right above the GEO System section. Then, under the UnLimit Area settings you FIRST have to tap on the unlock key, which is the long string underneath the Enable Whitelist Unlock control in my second screengrab, and THEN activate the Enable Whitelist Unlock control after confirming the prompts.

I tried to first activate the Enable Whitelist Unlock control, thinking it would ask me to select the unlock key as the next step, but the control just turned itself off, which is what several people have reported. Tweaking the interface or at least adding some instructional text would likely solve a lot of problems for people and reduce support requests.

dji_go4_unlimitarea.png

dji_go4_unlimitarea2.jpg

2017-2-11
Use props
That Bex
lvl.1
United States

Ex Machina Posted at 2017-2-11 13:17
Success!

At first I thought the unlocking wasn't working for me -- this is because the interface is a bit counter-intuitive.

Nice! Congrats on getting in the air.  I have confirmed that the latest android update did NOT correct the NFZ boundary issue. I can also confirm that the UnLimit Area option is NOT available in the android version of the app - I guess that's why the website says the manual unlock only work on iOS.

Were you outside wifi range when you did the UnLimit Area option? I'm wondering if I can get an old iPhone to fly with, set up the app on wifi and perform the manual unlock without ever actually activating the phone. It'll probably work while I'm within wifi and inside the unlocked zone...wonder if it'll work if I leave wifi range. Or maybe I can set up a hot spot. Or maybe DJI can fix their product...
2017-2-12
Use props
Ex Machina
Captain
United States

That Bex Posted at 2017-2-12 15:18
Nice! Congrats on getting in the air.  I have confirmed that the latest android update did NOT correct the NFZ boundary issue. I can also confirm that the UnLimit Area option is NOT available in the android version of the app - I guess that's why the website says the manual unlock only work on iOS.

Were you outside wifi range when you did the UnLimit Area option? I'm wondering if I can get an old iPhone to fly with, set up the app on wifi and perform the manual unlock without ever actually activating the phone. It'll probably work while I'm within wifi and inside the unlocked zone...wonder if it'll work if I leave wifi range. Or maybe I can set up a hot spot. Or maybe DJI can fix their product...

I didn't check to see if there was wifi in range, but considering my location, I pretty much doubt there would have been.

I don't know if you need to have a live internet connection when unlocking with a DJI-supplied key, so it might work. I think a few folks on the forum are using hotspot connections to their phones from wifi-only iPad minis, so I'd expect that to work for you.

You do have to unlock every time you power-cycle the RC, so you can't just borrow a buddy's iOS device thinking you can unlock it once and be done with it, though.
2017-2-12
Use props
superjet96
lvl.4
United States

Glad it worked!.  I put in my application and crossing fingers.
I did finally find a place on Saturday and got it off of the ground for the first time.  That thing is so much easier to fly than I thought it would be.  It is a blast and now to start learning.
2017-2-12
Use props
That Bex
lvl.1
United States

Ex Machina Posted at 2017-2-10 07:24
After my email reasserting the area in question was already in green/yellow zones, DJI has approved my unlock request. I'll test tomorrow and let everyone know how it goes.

I get the feeling that my first request was algorithmically denied, since in a properly working system, no one would ever submit a request that didn't require authorization documents.

So I just received the auto-denial of my request to unlock the false no-fly zone and the email sent me back to the same Individual Unlocking page to re-submit the request with the "missing" information. Did you just re-submit and re-explain your situation or did you send an email to someone else?

It also looks like you can only request a max of 3 days - how long were you unlocked? Hoping to actually get this bird in the air for the first time...

Thanks!
Bex
2017-2-17
Use props
superjet96
lvl.4
United States

I just got the same thing back last night after waiting a week.  Ex Machina can you post or PM how you got yours through?

Mine went something like this "Your geofencing unlocking application has been denied. Please offer a authorization file that they are legally allowed to fly in the intended area. You must also provide your identification information, such as ID card, driver's license and so on. Please re-submit your request using the link below, within these limits."

So I am not sure that it is the issue of being legally allowed or the ID.  I could walk from the area where I requested to outside of the green zone.  Unfortunately the flying area is just about 100' within the green zone.
2017-2-17
Use props
Ex Machina
Captain
United States

I did provide  a photo of my drivers license, and I initiated my contact via an email to flysafe@dji.com, which got me a support contact. I think the difficulty is mostly due to language obstacles, I was told there was a three-month max but I haven't been back since last weekend to test that.

This was my response to the initial request denial:

The area I’ve requested an unlock for is within green and yellow zones according to your FlySafe map, which normally do not require anything other than self-authorization at most, but for some reason, perhaps due to the proximity to the Washington DC red zone, I am prevented from launching here.

Why would I need a form of authorization if the area is outside the Washington DC red zone?

I would send your email to flysafe@dji.com including the unlocking request's tracking number. Hope this helps.

2017-2-17
Use props
Ex Machina
Captain
United States

That Bex Posted at 2017-2-17 08:06
So I just received the auto-denial of my request to unlock the false no-fly zone and the email sent me back to the same Individual Unlocking page to re-submit the request with the "missing" information. Did you just re-submit and re-explain your situation or did you send an email to someone else?

It also looks like you can only request a max of 3 days - how long were you unlocked? Hoping to actually get this bird in the air for the first time...

replying so you'll get notification -- see my response above
2017-2-17
Use props
Ex Machina
Captain
United States

superjet96 Posted at 2017-2-17 08:59
I just got the same thing back last night after waiting a week.  Ex Machina can you post or PM how you got yours through?

Mine went something like this "Your geofencing unlocking application has been denied. Please offer a authorization file that they are legally allowed to fly in the intended area. You must also provide your identification information, such as ID card, driver's license and so on. Please re-submit your request using the link below, within these limits."

replying so you'll get notification -- see my response above
2017-2-17
Use props
superjet96
lvl.4
United States

Thanks, I will see what I can come up with.  I will fly somewhere else for the weekend.  Hopefully by next weekend I will get to play at the good spot??
2017-2-17
Use props
That Bex
lvl.1
United States

Ex Machina Posted at 2017-2-17 09:51
I did provide  a photo of my drivers license, and I initiated my contact via an email to flysafe@dji.com, which got me a support contact. I think the difficulty is mostly due to language obstacles, I was told there was a three-month max but I haven't been back since last weekend to test that.

This was my response to the initial request denial:

Thanks for the reply and advice. I did include a copy of my license with the first request, but I sent it through the Individual Unlocking page on the website. After the rejection, I re-submitted at the site AND sent an email with original request and denial notification to the flysafe@dji.com email. My explanation was pretty similar to yours, so hopefully I'll also get a direct tech support contact where I can plead my case and get the unlock.

If I can get the unlock, I'll borrow a buddy's iphone to test it (along with my android, just in case) and if it works, I guess I'll have to buy a cheap, used iphone.

Fingers crossed!
2017-2-17
Use props
Ex Machina
Captain
United States

Today I returned to Lorton and confirmed that my unlock is still active after a week, so, the 3-day max was probably meant to be relayed to you as a 3-month max.
2017-2-19
Use props
Ex Machina
Captain
United States

I think I may have found the root of the uncertainty over how long an area may be unlocked -- it all depends on how you go about petitioning for an unlock.

Unlocking an area in advance permits 3 days of flight while individual unlocking allows up to 3 months. The former is designed for situations where you want to fly in an area needing authorization but lacking in internet access, thus requiring pre-approval in advance, while the latter supports some flexibility in exchange for personal accountability.
2017-2-23
Use props
Ex Machina
Captain
United States

Referencing a related thread: http://forum.dji.com/forum.php?mod=viewthread&tid=85799&page=1&extra=#pid702029

Summary: You will get a Mission Crosses No-Fly Zone alert while trying to use an Inteligent Flight mode in an unlocked NFZ, this is expected behavior in the current implementation of DJI's Geo system.
2017-2-23
Use props
piowoc73
lvl.4
United States

Ex Machina Posted at 2017-2-23 08:24
Referencing a related thread: http://forum.dji.com/forum.php?mod=viewthread&tid=85799&page=1&extra=#pid702029

Summary: You will get a Mission Crosses No-Fly Zone alert while trying to use an Inteligent Flight mode in an unlocked NFZ, this is expected behavior in the current implementation of DJI's Geo system.

How close from your experience can I get to a NFZ without being warned, or the drone taking unconditional landing? Would 600 ft from NFZ be enough to avoid problems?
Also, does it matter if I use Litchi instead of DJI app for my waypoint mission?
2017-3-2
Use props
Ex Machina
Captain
United States

piowoc73 Posted at 2017-3-2 09:39
How close from your experience can I get to a NFZ without being warned, or the drone taking unconditional landing? Would 600 ft from NFZ be enough to avoid problems?
Also, does it matter if I use Litchi instead of DJI app for my waypoint mission?

I think the Washington DC no fly zone migfht be a special case for DJI; my problems started roughly two miles outside of the restricted area. I was hoping to get an estimate of the expected buffer along the edge of NFZ but the answer was not forthcoming, and expect the real answer might be YMMV.
I haven't as yet tried to probe the edge of a different NFZ, nor have I used Litchi -- I'm still trying to master the DJI Go 4 app!
2017-3-2
Use props
Ex Machina
Captain
United States

Today I flew with the .0500 firmware update and found I could fly in previously restricted areas without having to activate my whitelist unlock. What I didn't do and probably should have was fly in areas outside my previously unlocked radius and see if I still had the ability to fly this close to the DC FRZ -- but maybe you guys who have been unable to fly in your backyards can do so now?
2017-3-8
Use props
Hummingbird.UAV
Captain
Flight distance : 8330174 ft
  • >>>
Canada

Ex Machina Posted at 2017-3-8 14:56
Today I flew with the .0500 firmware update and found I could fly in previously restricted areas without having to activate my whitelist unlock. What I didn't do and probably should have was fly in areas outside my previously unlocked radius and see if I still had the ability to fly this close to the DC FRZ -- but maybe you guys who have been unable to fly in your backyards can do so now?

Question about unlocking.  The line under the where you enter the unlocking code is where you can turn the GEO system off.  Did you give this a try before you got the unlocking code?
2017-3-8
Use props
Ex Machina
Captain
United States

Hummingbird.UAV Posted at 2017-3-8 15:48
Question about unlocking.  The line under the where you enter the unlocking code is where you can turn the GEO system off.  Did you give this a try before you got the unlocking code?

I did, didn't work for me. I've read where it worked for a user who lived just outside an airport's border radius but had been having problems.

The area in question is about 2 miles outside the DC RFZ and shouldn't have been a problem in the first place -- the unlocking was a workaround provided by DJI, but with the latest update, which included changes to NFZ behavior, the area no longer appears to need unlocking.

2017-3-8
Use props
bsharpmjhfab
lvl.1
Flight distance : 456 ft
United States

Owner of: Phantom 4 Pro Plus
RC: Phantom 4 Pro AND Phantom 4 Pro Plus (Built In with android)
App: Version 4.0.6
Aircraft: Version 01.02.0304
Remote Controller: Version 1.8.0+
App Database: Version 00.00.01.04

Problem - Located next to small airport (red zone)

DJI Solution- Got letter of agreement from airport management  submitted all to DJI - Should be greenlighted to fly. Realize I have the android built in and the features not there.. Order in the Phantom 4 Pro RC - setup iphone app resync submit ANOTHER request with proper documentations ... It was approved as well... I see the license file when i am attempting to fly in redzone .. I click it im prompted with a screen that has cancel or okay i select okay.. but the enable whitelist area function never turns on or off just stays grey I've fought this for 10 days now. 20+ emails and 8+ phone calls... I just want to be able to fly in the area requested

End of the day - ITS NOT WORKING what should i do?
2017-3-20
Use props
Ex Machina
Captain
United States

bsharpmjhfab Posted at 2017-3-20 06:22
Owner of: Phantom 4 Pro Plus
RC: Phantom 4 Pro AND Phantom 4 Pro Plus (Built In with android)
App: Version 4.0.6

When I tap the license file and confirm the prompts, I then have to slide the whitelist enable unlock button to the on position -- it doesn't do it automatically for me.
2017-3-20
Use props
bsharpmjhfab
lvl.1
Flight distance : 456 ft
United States

Mine stays grey'd out before and after i click the license file
2017-3-20
Use props
Ex Machina
Captain
United States

Are you using the .0500 firmware? There's another thread on here that talks about whitelist functionality being broken in .0500, perhaps this applies to P4PRC as well as Mavics? If so, you could try downgrading to .0400/.0300 to see if that works. Good luck.
2017-3-20
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules