Using Litchi - voids warranty?
10054 27 2017-2-7
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Gusmtb
lvl.3
Flight distance : 35249 ft
United Kingdom

Hi, the non stop crashes in DJI go3 and DJI go4 are starting to really annoy, I have disabled auto rotate and put my phone (oneplus 3, Android 7) in aeroplane mode, still crashes as and when it feels like it.

Does using a 3rd party app like Litchi void the warranty if your Mavic had a crash or fail where flying with this app rather than the offical DJI app?
2017-2-7
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

Only if the app is the cause of the crash.
2017-2-7
Use props
Danny-B-
lvl.4
Flight distance : 306640 ft
United Kingdom

The issue is ... apparently litchi doesnt log the flights internally so DJI cannot determine what happened so i would wager a guess and say that it will always be the apps fault. If you have DJI Care refresh, you are covered for accidental damage, so if you happen to drop you mavic it'll be covered ... y'know ...
2017-2-7
Use props
cluc
lvl.3
Flight distance : 85682 ft
Australia

Just run both apps...

DJI Care Refresh covers your replacement up to 2 times within 12 months, each time has a cost associated to it. (So if you replaced it twice already and drop it the third time, bad luck, maybe get some new hand replacement)
2017-2-7
Use props
Gusmtb
lvl.3
United Kingdom

Yeah I have refresh cover.   Need to be sure of it though, £19.99 for the Litchi isn't cheap. I like the Go4 app but the crashes are very annoying, more so they mostly always happen while the Mavic is just out of sight (like other side of trees or hill), I now have the max distance set to 150m to hopefully avoid any trouble with losing sight of it. A few days ago it took me a few minutes to get the app to relaunch as it crashed each time I opened it, in the end I had to reset the phone to get it to launch as not even closing all apps worked, luckily the Mavic was high on battery at the time.
2017-2-7
Use props
randy.sauder
Second Officer
Flight distance : 872572 ft
Canada

This is a very good and important post (by the OP).  I too am concerned if DJI prohibits 3rd Party app/software usage.  There are a ton of apps for DJI products.  Quite frankly I am amazed at just how poor the service appears to be based on what I've seen through others so far.  I've experience some very strange behaviors using Go4....so much so that I am nearly certain that at some point I will need to use my Care Refresh.   BUT i am very concerned from what I've seen that DJI appears to not honor this warranty for many issues that HAVE TO BE related to poor coding with GO4 (e.g. sat loss, then Atti, then flyaways or crashes).

From my research it looks like apps such at Litchi may offer a much more stable flight experience than DJI's native app.  If DJI can't fix these issues we should not be concerned that DJI will not honor a warranty or Refresh claim if our data indicates a 3rd Party apps was used; seems likely based on what I've seen of their behaviors that they may do just that (not honour a claim without any basis on their part that the external app was responsible).

I hope DJI would respond to us that don't' wish the innovation of other companies (software) be hampered by illogical issues/blame on other's software...

On the flip side I do see SOME merit to DJI being concerned that other's software should not affect their products (in a way that causes DJI to pay claims that would be avoided).  DJI needs to be reasonable with any policy such as 3rd party app usage.  First fix your own software, then there should be less risk of harm to anyone!  Great product BTW...I am concerned though on the warranty front.  Hopefully the issues I hear of are mostly a factor of DJI perhaps adapting to such a popular product (and they need more staff, more training etc..).
2017-2-7
Use props
boostedford
lvl.4
Flight distance : 144478 ft
United States

Question has anyone used litchi on any extended waypoint missions? i have a mission planned out all the waypoints no more than 3/4's of a mile away which would be line of sight from where i plan to launch from. its i believe a 16 waypoint mission that should take about 12 minutes to complete. i want to know if its safe to do this mission? are there any reports of litchi failure causing loss of drone or any other problem? does anyone know if smart return to home works in litchi while on a mission? will it cancel the mission and return home if it deems the battery wont make it? i have it set to fly no faster than it can go in gps mode to conserve battery during the mission. i hope it could complete the mission with enough battery to return, i just dont want it to fly off. what scares me is not having atti to cancel and take over myself like i would do with the phantom with litchi. though i do have a failsafe waypoint where i fly back to me mid mission just in case battery is too low. i just want to know if anyone using litchi has had any major problems with it?
2017-2-7
Use props
PimpDawg
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1204754 ft
United States

Seems contradictory for DJI to release a SDK yet void your warranty for using third-party apps. I don't know if they do but I have read other people claim it voids your warranty. I'm sticking with the DJI GO app.
2017-2-7
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

boostedford Posted at 2017-2-7 15:00
Question has anyone used litchi on any extended waypoint missions? i have a mission planned out all the waypoints no more than 3/4's of a mile away which would be line of sight from where i plan to launch from. its i believe a 16 waypoint mission that should take about 12 minutes to complete. i want to know if its safe to do this mission? are there any reports of litchi failure causing loss of drone or any other problem? does anyone know if smart return to home works in litchi while on a mission? will it cancel the mission and return home if it deems the battery wont make it? i have it set to fly no faster than it can go in gps mode to conserve battery during the mission. i hope it could complete the mission with enough battery to return, i just dont want it to fly off. what scares me is not having atti to cancel and take over myself like i would do with the phantom with litchi. though i do have a failsafe waypoint where i fly back to me mid mission just in case battery is too low. i just want to know if anyone using litchi has had any major problems with it?

First if your setting a waypoint mission , litchi app will tell you how long the mission will take, so you will know before you start how much battery you need.

If you have VLOS and you loose gps you can then fly Atti mode home.

If you loose radio control in litchi it will continue the mission or you have the option to press RTH.

You can cancel litchi mission by changing to sport mode and flying home.

I would suggest you fly some short missions 3/4 WP until you feel comfortable with your Mavic flying the litchi app.
Good luck..
2017-2-7
Use props
SteveDickin
Second Officer
Flight distance : 776007 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Like the OP, I too have the oneplu3 and since I replaced the Phantom 3 std with the Mavic have seen multiple app crashes per flight.  I am about to put the Nvidia Shield to the test in the next weekend.  I am not chancing Litchi due to what you read about it in the early days.
2017-2-7
Use props
cluc
lvl.3
Flight distance : 85682 ft
Australia

Every flight is recorded on the aircraft and controller, regardless of having the DJI Go App running.
  • They can always be extracted, by following DJI's flight log extraction tutorials.

Warranty is only voided if after investigation, it is identified that the Litchi app caused the issue.
  • I'm pretty sure there was a post by DJI Ken a while back responding to the exact same question. (Too bad the search function isn't that good here)
  • Basically if it was a malfunction on it's own, e.g. motor failiure and there were no obstructions to it, then you are covered by the warranty, even if you are using Litchi. However, if you are using the Litchi App setting up waypoints and for some reason, the aircraft goes and does it's own exploration and hits a tree, then your warranty will not cover that, as you were using Litchi App.

Hope that helps.

@DJI Ken, if you are able to find that post, please send through the link or correct me if my understanding is incorrect.

2017-2-7
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

cluc Posted at 2017-2-7 17:11
Every flight is recorded on the aircraft and controller, regardless of having the DJI Go App running.
  • They can always be extracted, by following DJI's flight log extraction tutorials.

• Hi Cluc, you are right and if you read the care refresh and warranty small print , that's exactly how it reads.

2017-2-7
    Use props
    boostedford
    lvl.4
    United States

hallmark007 Posted at 2017-2-7 15:32
    First if your setting a waypoint mission , litchi app will tell you how long the mission will take, so you will know before you start how much battery you need.

If you have VLOS and you loose gps you can then fly Atti mode home.

i dont trust the time litchi says. my phantom would always go 2-3 min over what it said

the mavic does not have atti mode. i used to use atti mode on the phantom to cancel the mission

i know litchi continues the mission i just wanted to know if it takes into account the smart battery? will it automatically cancel the mission if it thinks it wont have enough battery to continue?
    2017-2-7
    Use props
    hallmark007
    Captain
    • >>>
    Ireland

boostedford Posted at 2017-2-7 17:25
    i dont trust the time litchi says. my phantom would always go 2-3 min over what it said

the mavic does not have atti mode. i used to use atti mode on the phantom to cancel the mission

I have used litchi a lot I find timings pretty good,

Regarding returning home if not enough battery, I'm not sure but it does have battery use indicator same as dji go app.

And last I'm afraid your wrong about Mavic not having Atti. Atti is automatic on the Mavic if you loose gps it will automatically go straight to Atti mode , and you will get this notice on your litchi app as well as the go app
    Page 58 Manual P-gps P-opti P-Atti
    2017-2-7
    Use props
    Gusmtb
    lvl.3
    United Kingdom

good info in the replies, think I will leave the Litchi app at the moment and hopefully the Go4 android app will get an update to address the crashing problems which could result in a very dangerous situation arising when the Mavic is out of normal sight.

I don't want to go spending £20 on Litchi and then not get along with it.  
    2017-2-8
    Use props
    DroneFlying
    Second Officer
    Flight distance : 10774613 ft
    United States

boostedford Posted at 2017-2-7 17:25

I can't answer some of your questions because I don't rely on RTH or on the accuracy of Litchi's estimates. I can say, though, that yes, I've executed what you'd probably call "extended" waypoint missions with my Mavic and Litchi worked just fine. In fact, just a few days ago when they came out with the latest app (iOS) version I executed a mission with about 70 waypoints and didn't see any problems.

Again, I can't vouch for its behavior with respect to RTH, but I have used the pause and mission cancel functions and they've always worked correctly for me. And as long as you have LOS or at least still have a connection from your remote to the aircraft that should be all you really need.
    2017-2-8
    Use props
    WYHSniper1007
    lvl.4
    Flight distance : 1003822 ft
    • >>>
    United States

If the app cause the crash DJI won't fix for you
    2017-2-8
    Use props
    UKDaveH
    lvl.2
    Flight distance : 98816 ft
    United Kingdom

I've used Litchi on longer waypoint missions without any problems at all.  However worth remembering that the app is completely blind to wind conditions so if you set a particular flight speed and it encounters strong winds, it's estimate of battery life will be way off as it needs to work harder to overcome the headwind.  I seem to remember seeing somewhere that someone ended up flying into an unexpected headwind at one point in the mission that was as strong as the Mavic top speed and the Mavic just sat there trying to complete the mission but unable to move until the pilot realised, cancelled the mission and flew it home.
    2017-2-9
    Use props
    boostedford
    lvl.4
    United States

UKDaveH Posted at 2017-2-9 05:05
    I've used Litchi on longer waypoint missions without any problems at all.  However worth remembering that the app is completely blind to wind conditions so if you set a particular flight speed and it encounters strong winds, it's estimate of battery life will be way off as it needs to work harder to overcome the headwind.  I seem to remember seeing somewhere that someone ended up flying into an unexpected headwind at one point in the mission that was as strong as the Mavic top speed and the Mavic just sat there trying to complete the mission but unable to move until the pilot realised, cancelled the mission and flew it home.

yeah i seen that thread too. thanks for the replies. maybe ill do gradual missions  until im comfortable with an extended mission just to see how it reacts and calculates times. i put way too much trust in it with my phantom and was going on crazy missions lmao. the last one ended in it not coming back tho i suspect i didnt select high enough altitude rather than battery. but i had that sucker going on 4 mile round trips lol barely making it back tho. and i couldnt figure out why it was slow on some legs and fast on others til you guys mentioned it doesnt take wind into account. i nearly lost it for most of the missions because i didnt know about that even tho i had it set to go the fastest. but thanks guys ill have to tinker around with it until im confident
    2017-2-11
    Use props
    Padster8543
    lvl.1
    Flight distance : 162208 ft
    United Kingdom

Didn't in my case.  Got a free repair when my P3S compass went beserk!
    2017-5-22
    Use props
    Padster8543
    lvl.1
    Flight distance : 162208 ft
    United Kingdom

Danny-B- Posted at 2017-2-7 14:15
    The issue is ... apparently litchi doesnt log the flights internally so DJI cannot determine what happened so i would wager a guess and say that it will always be the apps fault. If you have DJI Care refresh, you are covered for accidental damage, so if you happen to drop you mavic it'll be covered ... y'know ...

They may not be recorded internally but they are still recorded on your phone/tablet.
    2017-5-22
    Use props
    digitalpro
    lvl.2
    Flight distance : 180 ft
    Philippines

i have used litchi for nearly 2 years no problem phantom 3 pro
    2017-7-1
    Use props
    Tviscomi
    Second Officer
    Flight distance : 106886 ft
    • >>>
    United States

@Dirty Bird...What device (tablet/phone) are you using with your DJI platforms?
    2017-7-2
    Use props
    djiuser_czxTtolAZnlz
    New

Austria

cluc Posted at 2017-2-7 17:11

• Hi, let me share my experience: I am using litchi because the experience js much better and it offers waypoint missions.
    Yesterday my Mavic Air lost connection and obviously crashed in some forest. I couldn't find it anymore and although i have DJI care refresh I am not entitled for any preferred support. DJI claims that the 3rd party app might have caused the crash and since i can't provide the log file that's it
    2018-10-29
    Use props
    hallmark007
    Captain
    • >>>
    Ireland

djiuser_czxTtolAZnlz Posted at 2018-10-29 10:49
    Hi, let me share my experience: I am using litchi because the experience js much better and it offers waypoint missions.
    Yesterday my Mavic Air lost connection and obviously crashed in some forest. I couldn't find it anymore and although i have DJI care refresh I am not entitled for any preferred support. DJI claims that the 3rd party app might have caused the crash and since i can't provide the log file that's it

It’s actu in their terms and conditions, might be a good idea to go look again, do you have flight log from your device that you can post here.
    2018-10-29
    Use props
    EdM
    Second Officer
    Flight distance : 1491814 ft
    • >>>
    United States

djiuser_czxTtolAZnlz Posted at 2018-10-29 10:49
    Hi, let me share my experience: I am using litchi because the experience js much better and it offers waypoint missions.

And what else would anyone expect?   No broken/crashed Mavic Air to send in, no warranty.   If you had been using GO chances are the warranty decline would have been the same.  The only proof rests in the flight records recorded inside the Mavic Air and its gone.
    2018-10-29
    Use props
    georgieB
    lvl.4
    Flight distance : 33212 ft
    Philippines

Hi,
    I was first apprehensive in flying a created mission, 1st battery, i just used litchi no mission just playing with line of sight, using sports then immediately back to p-mode, RTH until low battery.  Then like you, created a 1.2 mile mission just flying 12mins with line of sight using 2nd battery. finally went out on the limb and ran a mission 2 miles with no line of sight at all for a 14 min flight with a fully charged 3rd battery and was so happy when I could hear  it overhead about to land...
    2018-11-12
    Use props
    MavSpa_user
    First Officer
    Flight distance : 73209 ft
    Netherlands

Use 4.1.22 , most stable version. No need for the latest!!
    2018-11-12
    Use props
    Advanced
    You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules