Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Pre Departure & Pre Flight Check..
17809 37 2017-2-8
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9812789 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

1. Pre-Departure Check
3. Pre-Flight   Check
Aircraft
Checked
Airframe
Tablet
Charged
Airframe
Undamaged
Firmware
Updated
Motors
Rotating & Free   of FOD
Maps
Cached
Propeller
Tight and Secure
Camera
Lens Cleaned /   Checked
Battery
Voltage Checked &   Secure
SD card
Format
ND Filters
Checked
Transmitter
Gimbal
Checked
Antenna
Set
Spare Props
Checked
Battery
50% or greater.
Lipo Batteries
Checked / Charged
Transmitter
Power On
Charger
Checked
Tablet/Phone
Connect & On
Take-Off Pad
As required
App
Launch
Ops Manual
Checked
Logbooks
Checked
Gimbal/Camera
Attached/Checked
Tool Kit
As required
SD Card
Inserted
Anemometer
As required
Aircraft
Power On
High Vis
Checked
Settings
Protective   Glasses
As Required
Flight Mode
Set
Fire Gloves
As Required
Flight Limits (Vert/Hor)
Set
Fire Ext.
Checked
Return to Home Height
Set
First Aid Kit
Checked
Compass
Calibrate (if   Required)
Cones / Cordon   Tape
As Required
IMU
Level (If Required)
Signage
As Required
Camera Mode
Set
Table / Gazebo
As Required
Battery
Capacity Checked
Telemetry & Satellites
Checked
2. Set Up Check
Site Safety Assessment
Confirmed
ATC
Advise (If Required)
Emergency   Landing Sites
Identified
Weather
Checked/Recorded
Brief- Actions:  3rd Party
- Actions: Aircraft
- Emergency Land Sites
- Pilot Incapacitation
- Risk & Mitigation
Here's my list . some pre flight checks might not be for all
2017-2-8
Use props
ChasD
lvl.1
Flight distance : 435965 ft
United States

Nice Job Hallmark....

I made a mistake on the power on sequence.  The sequence should be Remote Control, then Aircraft and then the Go 4 app.  I corrected all of the versions (PDF, Pages and Word) and have added new links below:
Pages Version
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.co ... t%20Checklist.pages

Word Version
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.co ... ht%20Checklist.docx

PDF Version
-Attached-

Mavic Pro Pre-Flight Checklist.pdf

141.28 KB, Down times: 401

PreFlight Checklist - PDF

2017-2-8
Use props
DJI-Jamie
DJI team
Flight distance : 112405 ft
United States

It's pretty extensive, thanks for sharing.
2017-2-8
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

DJI-Jamie Posted at 2017-2-8 22:24
It's pretty extensive, thanks for sharing.

Yeah it's kind of what the expect for commercial.
2017-2-9
Use props
Propwash
First Officer
Flight distance : 13058 ft
United Kingdom

hallmark PRE-FLIGHT CHECK battery 50% or greater surely not typo maybe ?
2017-2-9
Use props
Minnesota Q
lvl.1
Flight distance : 183018 ft
United States

Propwash Posted at 2017-2-9 15:23

What would you set this at for your controller? For myself, I do not charge the controller after every use.
2017-2-9
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

Well 50% or greater covers 50 to 100% , meaning never take off with less than 50%, if I put  100% , then I would have to answer questions like why can I not take off at 75%.
If someone asked me what is the best for starting a job or just out flying for fun I would nearly always recommend full battery.
2017-2-9
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

Minnesota Q Posted at 2017-2-9 16:14
What would you set this at for your controller? For myself, I do not charge the controller after every use.

I think 50% is safe , but you can get at least 3 batteries at 30%.
2017-2-9
Use props
Mike-the-cat
Captain
Flight distance : 21621841 ft
  • >>>
Singapore

Good work thanks
2017-2-9
Use props
MHM1170
lvl.3

United States

Thanks for the check list .......

2017-2-9
Use props
Propwash
First Officer
United Kingdom

Minnesota Q Posted at 2017-2-9 16:14

Minnesota Q Im referring to aircraft battery.RC not so critical.
2017-2-9
Use props
Propwash
First Officer
United Kingdom

hallmark007 Posted at 2017-2-9 16:20
Well 50% or greater covers 50 to 100% , meaning never take off with less than 50%, if I put  100% , then I would have to answer questions like why can I not take off at 75%.
If someone asked me what is the best for starting a job or just out flying for fun I would nearly always recommend full battery.

hallmark not being critical just assumed it was a typo error.If your reply to the question what is the best charge % reading for starting a job is full battery then surely you should stick to that save any confusion.97% would always be my minimum to start any type of flight not that i've been asked just my take on it.
2017-2-9
Use props
Minnesota Q
lvl.1
United States

Propwash Posted at 2017-2-9 17:34
Minnesota Q Im referring to aircraft battery.RC not so critical.

Take a look at the check list again. It's under transmitter aka RC check list he put 50%
At least that's how I understand it.
2017-2-9
Use props
Propwash
First Officer
United Kingdom

Minnesota Q Posted at 2017-2-9 18:16
Take a look at the check list again. It's under transmitter aka RC check list he put 50%
At least that's how I understand it.

Minnesota my error Being it was the only battery % shown on Hallmarks pre-flight check list i've picked up on it in error the crafts battery is just marked capacity checked on his list a % should be shown albeit still my error.
2017-2-9
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

Propwash Posted at 2017-2-9 18:03
hallmark not being critical just assumed it was a typo error.If your reply to the question what is the best charge % reading for starting a job is full battery then surely you should stick to that save any confusion.97% would always be my minimum to start any type of flight not that i've been asked just my take on it.

Hi Propwash, I understand your not being critical, and thank you for your comment, doing out an ops Manual for IAA here in Ireland, it's quite consuming and they expect everything to be dotted and crossed, but I have to say now when I'm flying I will always carry the checklist with me find it a great help and eventually if you do it enough it becomes a very natural thing to do.
Good luck..
2017-2-10
Use props
Minnesota Q
lvl.1
United States

My check list has a few other things not listed. Like power lines, in my area utilities are still in the air so I always check my area of flight for these. Idk if the obstacle avoidance will see these or not.
2017-2-10
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

Minnesota Q Posted at 2017-2-10 13:42
My check list has a few other things not listed. Like power lines, in my area utilities are still in the air so I always check my area of flight for these. Idk if the obstacle avoidance will see these or not.

I also have to have a take off check list shutdown check and between flight check list, I'll post them sometime.
Good luck..
2017-2-10
Use props
KM5RG-Robert
Captain
Flight distance : 2075213 ft
United States

I usually do not worry about charging the RC until it gets below 75% (and that takes a few flights). And that is pretty conservative.
2017-2-10
Use props
Propwash
First Officer
United Kingdom

hallmark007 Posted at 2017-2-10 02:49
Hi Propwash, I understand your not being critical, and thank you for your comment, doing out an ops Manual for IAA here in Ireland, it's quite consuming and they expect everything to be dotted and crossed, but I have to say now when I'm flying I will always carry the checklist with me find it a great help and eventually if you do it enough it becomes a very natural thing to do.
Good luck..

Hi hallmark.Having completed an OPS manual for PFCO understand exacly your thoughts.The amount of time taken to perfect it results in it taking on a personality of its own.One reason why so many who have gone through the process become very sensitive to sharing its contents with others.Many complain its over complicated but once completed you realize how worthwhile and rewarding the process is.Certainly trains the mind .GOOD LUCK with yours.

2017-2-11
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

Propwash Posted at 2017-2-11 06:08
Hi hallmark.Having completed an OPS manual for PFCO understand exacly your thoughts.The amount of time taken to perfect it results in it taking on a personality of its own.One reason why so many who have gone through the process become very sensitive to sharing its contents with others.Many complain its over complicated but once completed you realize how worthwhile and rewarding the process is.Certainly trains the mind .GOOD LUCK with yours.

Hi Propwash, yeah really enjoying it, ops manual almost finished , just one more practical to go.

Cheers mate..
2017-2-11
Use props
Rob8888
lvl.3
New Zealand

Most important addition I can suggest (as a result of losing GPS signal in high wind and very quickly losing line of sight) is to log wind direction, at least mentally, and think through strategies to recover ahead of time in a fly away situation (as it happens very quickly in high wind).
2017-2-16
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

Minnesota Q Posted at 2017-2-10 13:42

'Idk if the obstacle avoidance will see these or not.'

No, it will not see power lines, that is specifically mentioned in the manual.

My pre-flight check is very basic and also quite ancient "Spectacles, T*sticles, Wallet & Watch"

2017-2-16
Use props
Jptsrone
lvl.1
United States

Maybe I need to start doing something more like this. My current procedure is wait for picture, satellites, home point, take off. Sometimes ill giggle the props a bit to make sure they are on tight since thats how I had my one and only crash.
2017-8-17
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

Jptsrone Posted at 2017-8-17 09:49
Maybe I need to start doing something more like this. My current list is my current procedure is wait for picture, satellites, home point, take off. Sometimes ill giggle the props a bit to make sure they are on tight since thats how I had my one and only crash.

Once you find a routine that suits you and keep repeating this, you will find it becomes second nature,
2017-8-17
Use props
ALABAMA
Captain
Flight distance : 10442687 ft
United States

I'm just curious about"'pilot incapacitation ".
2017-8-17
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

ALABAMA Posted at 2017-8-17 10:56
I'm just curious about"'pilot incapacitation ".

Well what happens if pilot suddenly gets Lets say heart attack what happens to drone.

So before you fly you instruct your spotter or helper how to get Aircraft down. I.e. Just push RTH until you hear beeping approx 3 seconds tell him the aircraft will RTH at whatever height and land within 1 metre of where it took off. And make sure landing area is clear.
Then he can give you the kiss of life. Lol

Checks and lists are all about eliminating as much risk as possible, it's not impossible that pilot could become incapacitated having no plan is just a risk.
2017-8-17
Use props
ALABAMA
Captain
Flight distance : 10442687 ft
United States

hallmark007 Posted at 2017-8-17 11:29
Well what happens if pilot suddenly gets Lets say heart attack what happens to drone.

So before you fly you instruct your spotter or helper how to get Aircraft down. I.e. Just push RTH until you hear beeping approx 3 seconds tell him the aircraft will RTH at whatever height and land within 1 metre of where it took off. And make sure landing area is clear.

True enough!
2017-8-17
Use props
Rigger73
First Officer
Flight distance : 378478 ft
United Kingdom

Hallmark - nice job - and a good start.

Not sure why you would need a fire extinguisher - but I can understand from a commercial aspect - covering all bases, Risk Assessments PTW etc.

Good that you point out checking the motors are FOD free - and maybe something other prospective commercial operators could learn.

Talking of FOD - while not strictly to do with the motors or props - maybe add the taking off of the combined gimbal lock and lens protector - oh, and that bit of transport foam too.
I've stupidly forgotten to take that bit of foam out before.  No excuse from some-one who used to work on real aircraft, and currently pre+post dive checks ROVs.

A reminder on the pre-flight would do no harm.

I take it you set up a similarly comprehensive after-flight check list?  I know I give my P4P a good looking over after every flight - even to the point of cleaning the blades of dead bug residue.

2017-8-17
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

Rigger73 Posted at 2017-8-17 16:32
Hallmark - nice job - and a good start.

Not sure why you would need a fire extinguisher - but I can understand from a commercial aspect - covering all bases, Risk Assessments PTW etc.

4. Take-Off Check
5. Shutdown   Check
CommunicationsCheckAircraft BatteryOff
3m Safety ZoneSet"Safe"Announce
"Rotors On"Announce
AirframeUndamaged
Take Off AreaClearPropellersUndamaged
"Taking Off"AnnounceMotorsRotating Free & Temp
Camera/GimbalChecked
Flight ControlsCheckLogbookRecorded
Telemetry CheckATCAdvise
BatteryCheck
6. Between   Flight Checks
Landing Check New BatteryInsert
RecordingStopBatteryOn
Landing AreaClearBatteryCapacity & Voltage Check
3m Safety ZoneSetTelemetry & SatellitesChecked
Take Off CheckCommence
"Landing"Announce
"Rotors Off"Announce

2017-8-18
Use props
R&L Aerial
Captain
Flight distance : 298100 ft
  • >>>
United States

Your list is extremely adequate.... There is one thing that i do after each flight is i monitor the exact temperature of each motor and battery using an IR temperature gun. Its a sure fire way of detecting future motor issues....
2017-8-18
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

R&L Aerial  Posted at 2017-8-18 02:53
Your list is extremely adequate.... There is one thing that i do after each flight is i monitor the exact temperature of each motor and battery using an IR temperature gun. Its a sure fire way of detecting future motor issues....

would like one of them, will check it out.
2017-8-18
Use props
R&L Aerial
Captain
Flight distance : 298100 ft
  • >>>
United States

hallmark007 Posted at 2017-8-18 03:10
would like one of them, will check it out.

Brushless motors last a long time, the bearings do not. As you already know, a bearing generates more and  more heat as it goes bad, so by checking the temperature after each flight you will see a pattern and know which motor needs replacing. Normally on a dji quad I've noticed that the front motors are always a few degrees warmer than the rear because of the camera weight. You can buy a good IR temperature gun online for around $30 dollars US. The temperature guns are also useful for making beef jerky.....
2017-8-18
Use props
BagoDJIoperator
Captain
Flight distance : 1077608 ft
United States

This is a very good checklist, I normally do this but a simpler version just making sure everything looks serviceable and all is secured before I go on a flight.
2017-8-18
Use props
Little John
lvl.4
Flight distance : 192244 ft
United Kingdom

Thanks for sharing your list
2017-12-17
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

Little John Posted at 2017-12-17 10:09
Thanks for sharing your list

No problem hope it helps I’ve been using it for almost 4 years and don’t fly without checking so far no real problems..
2017-12-17
Use props
Redleg Edge
lvl.1
Flight distance : 240797 ft
United States

Based upon the original checklist by hallmark007, I put this together. It contains pretty much the same info. There are two checklists per printed page and these are printed small so I can put them into my pocket.

UAS Checklist.pdf

412.83 KB, Down times: 71

UAS Checklist

2019-5-28
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

Redleg Edge Posted at 5-28 04:45
Based upon the original checklist by hallmark007, I put this together. It contains pretty much the same info. There are two checklists per printed page and these are printed small so I can put them into my pocket.

Good job, that’s the way I have mine printed also have them laminated.
2019-5-28
Use props
Martyzion
First Officer
Flight distance : 1976608 ft
United States

This was more than helpful.  Thanks!
2020-8-22
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules