RTH Issue - Has root cause been established?
1226 15 2017-2-8
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
TJAUS
lvl.3
Flight distance : 16683 ft
Australia

Hi,
There are many disparate threads in this forum relating to the "resetting" of the RTH Home point during flight and although many times someone has tried to get to the root cause, the threads still seem to wander off course (just like the P3).
My questions are:
1. Has it definitively been identified that the Android App 3.1.xx is the root cause rather than user error, iOS app, app settings, Firmware etc?
2. If so, has DJI (chime in here Ken et al) accepted that is the case and are diligently working on a resolution?
3. If nothing has been resolved, should we not be using our P3's for the reasons of loss of property and indeed safety i.e. our P3S won't just drop in on a crowd of people standing at the spurious Home Point.

Just a thought!!

2017-2-8
Use props
KevDrones
lvl.4
Flight distance : 475522 ft
United States

I have been waiting to get an update as well, they did release 3.4.1 for IOS, They like Apple. While that is happening, on Andriod I am sticking with 2.9.1 until I get the all clear.
2017-2-8
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

Nothing has been admitted by DJI, and most likely it never will. That is not their way. It will be fixed quite silently in a future update with no announcement or fanfare.
2017-2-8
Use props
Davros20
lvl.1
Flight distance : 1020 ft
Australia

DJI have not admitted that my fly off to a newly created RTH was a fault of their product - rather they are unable to determine the cause of the problem! However they have not catagorically stated that it was pilot error either which speaks volumes.
2017-2-8
Use props
cristianc
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1008143 ft
Australia

My last email from DJI Support was that they are investigating it. This was on Monday
2017-2-8
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 9991457 ft
  • >>>
Australia

1.  Yes It's the Android version of the app 3.1.2

3.  Simply uninstall 3.1.2 and use an earlier version of the app - problem solved.
2017-2-8
Use props
TJAUS
lvl.3
Australia

Labroides Posted at 2017-2-8 17:31

3.  Simply uninstall 3.1.2 and use an earlier version of the app - problem solved.

Thanks Labroides,

I use iOS so all i'm trying to establish is that whether or not the problem has been absolutely isolated to the Android app.
I have not seen any confirmation that that is the case.
2017-2-8
Use props
WilliamM
lvl.4
Flight distance : 904364 ft
United States

TJAUS Posted at 2017-2-8 18:49
Thanks Labroides,

I use iOS so all i'm trying to establish is that whether or not the problem has been absolutely isolated to the Android app.

Don't know what kind of confirmation your waiting on. If it's from DJI themselves, that's never going to happen. You just need to read the many threads about this issue, there's your confirmation, end of story. Every so often a newer member will say something like "I can't just go by what others are saying" I need confirmation from DJI. So some of us who have been here on the forum a bit longer are trying to help out the newer members with advice. So here it is: iOS seems to not be affected with this issue, and Android users should not be using Go app version 3.1.2 at this time. But downgrade to 3.0.1 or 2.9.1
2017-2-8
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Australia

TJAUS Posted at 2017-2-8 18:49
Thanks Labroides,

Lots of cases have been reported with Android and none from Apple devices.
2017-2-8
Use props
TJAUS
lvl.3
Australia

Labroides Posted at 2017-2-8 20:27
Lots of cases have been reported with Android and none from Apple devices.

Cheers Labroides & WilliamM for your responses. Looks like i'm good to go then. I'll need to ban my son who has an android until its sorted out or he downgrades his app.
2017-2-8
Use props
blackcrusader
Second Officer
Flight distance : 689774 ft
Taiwan

Labroides Posted at 2017-2-8 17:31

It is not affecting all users.  I am on the 3.1.2 App and am not having issues. However I did a reset and compass and IMU calibration after firmware upgrade.  I have flown my drone to the point of lost signal and it did a.n RTH that has worked fine. Have done this several times.

Yes I understand the risks involved but I constantly monitor my screen to make sure my home point has not changed  Now I launch, then I set down, check my gimble tilt and home point then launch again for flight.   There is a new update to the 3.1.2 from 07 February and some people have written that it has fixed the RTH issue.
2017-2-8
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Australia

blackcrusader Posted at 2017-2-8 20:59
It is not affecting all users.  I am on the 3.1.2 App and am not having issues. However I did a reset and compass and IMU calibration after firmware upgrade.  I have flown my drone to the point of lost signal and it did a.n RTH that has worked fine. Have done this several times.

Yes I understand the risks involved but I constantly monitor my screen to make sure my home point has not changed  Now I launch, then I set down, check my gimble tilt and home point then launch again for flight.   There is a new update to the 3.1.2 from 07 February and some people have written that it has fixed the RTH issue.

Yes, it's not affecting all Android users.
It may only be 2% or something like that but it's affecting too many Android users.
2017-2-8
Use props
jayZORZ
lvl.1
Flight distance : 636798 ft
United States

Labroides Posted at 2017-2-8 22:23
Yes, it's not affecting all Android users.
It may only be 2% or something like that but it's affecting too many Android users.

2%? I would probably say an easy 20-25% of android users experience problems, whether that be a function not working, or the RTH bug. Regardless, it's a bad situation. I'm using 3.0.1 stable.
2017-2-8
Use props
blackcrusader
Second Officer
Flight distance : 689774 ft
Taiwan

I just got a message to my cell phone admitting there was an issue and to do the latest update.

2017-2-9
Use props
fansf274e658
lvl.2
Flight distance : 53465 ft
United States

Bam ,,  that says right there they admit it and know the severity of the issue. Which is hopefully fixed in this new update.
And I have a Android device with 6.0  and it says update available so there is one for Android now too not just Apple .
2017-2-9
Use props
Dave P
lvl.3
Flight distance : 207664 ft
United Kingdom

That's good news and hopefully it will mean Follow Me will not insist the aircraft is too far away and I can auto update my apps again. Shame they didn't up the version as the app only reports 3.1.2, not the minor release so if there's a problem they can hardly blame people
2017-2-9
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules