Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Low light performance.... confused!
5137 20 2017-2-8
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Salty777
lvl.4
Flight distance : 117077 ft
Malaysia

I'm thinking of getting the Osmo + to tie in footage with my Inspire 1 X3 stuff.

I'm very confused about how it performs in low light. Many reviews say it's rubbish, but if you search "Osmo+ low light" on YouTube some of the footage is very good indeed.

However, I've been trying to match the great results on YT using the X3.... and I can't. I cannot get decent footage even indoors with all lights on at night.

Most of the YT footage does not state which camera is on the Osmo, but I'd assume it's the one that comes with the unit. However, maybe they've been swapped to X5??

Any comments greatly appreciated as I don't want to waste so much money.

Am also hoping there will be a way to fit X3 Zoom to the Inspire....
2017-2-8
Use props
frypan
lvl.4
Australia

You should post links with examples of what you mean. One person's good low light is another person's noisy mess.

As with any low light photography, the trick is manual shooting. Don't allow the camera to automatically set the ISO. Set it manually to what you consider to be acceptable noise. Then adjust the shutter speed to what you consider acceptable. The X3 is capable of shooting "decent" footage indoors with all lights on. If you're not getting decent footage, your settings are probably not set correctly, or you've left your ND filter on the lens.
2017-2-9
Use props
Salty777
lvl.4
Malaysia

Thanks Frypan.....  here's one example:

A bit long but has indoor / outdoor at night shots.

"or you've left your ND filter on the lens.".......  
Er.... uhm..... I'll get my coat!!! How could I be so dumb....
2017-2-9
Use props
Salty777
lvl.4
Malaysia

So, took the ND filter off (forgot it was on there) and went for a fly near dusk..... OMG, what a difference. Thank you Frypan

I will be getting an Osmo......
2017-2-9
Use props
frypan
lvl.4
Australia

I meant examples of your low light tests, with your settings listed as per the video above.

Use 1/50 with auto ISO and let's see.

personally, I really would love to own a Phantom 4 Pro. The camera on that is exactly what I want, the quality is excellent, very smooth. I just can't afford one.
2017-2-9
Use props
frypan
lvl.4
Australia

Salty777 Posted at 2017-2-9 05:42
So, took the ND filter off (forgot it was on there) and went for a fly near dusk..... OMG, what a difference. Thank you Frypan

I will be getting an Osmo......

Oh.. you actually really did leave the ND filter on! Funny.. I only being half serious mentioning that.
2017-2-9
Use props
Salty777
lvl.4
Malaysia

Yes, I really did.... I just forgot it was there.

Keep saving.... I hope you get a P4P one day, you deserve it.

Thanks again
2017-2-9
Use props
Salty777
lvl.4
Malaysia

So, bought the Osmo+ (just as news coming out about Osmo 2 / hand held 3 or whatever for the new cameras! Typical)

Initial set up was not a great experience..... took several attempts to get it to ask me to sign in. Frustrating, took a couple of hours.

iPhone 6 plus is a bit of a squeeze to fit in the holder.... but it does, just.

Had an issue with the phone dropping Osmo wifi and going back to main network every few seconds. Fixed that by making Osmo wifi the preferred on the Mac..... no idea why it worked but it did (found a tip here somewhere).

Took it for a spin today at kids sports day, took some long exposure shots of the moon, found out Panorama needs additional software to stitch pics together off the phone, found the $10 base to be a godsend, and found some good tutorials about gimbal settings etc. on youtube. Busy day!

Overall impressions? I think it's a fantastic piece of kit, and I can't wait to start working the Inspire together with the Osmo. It exceeds my expectations, video is superb.... a real step up from shaky phone footage!
Can't wait to try the motion time-lapse etc.

Thanks DJI.
2017-2-11
Use props
dr.nick
lvl.3
United States

The Osmo+ has its problems but it is pretty remarkable @ it's price point.  Keep in mind the newer setups are going to be 3x+ more expensive.  

I'm often using the Osmo+ on the top of a 25' stand so I've wrestled with the wifi connect a lot.  One trick I found that may be helpful to you is to move between the 2.4 and 5gHz settings.  In some locations the 5g seems to have less interference and works better, in other locations the 2.4 is better. Doesn't seem to be any rhyme or reason to it.  I also put the iPhone on Do Not Disturb and turn off all the other functions, Bluetooth, cellular data, etc when I'm shooting.  There are so many variables that I'm not sure if that makes a difference but giving the phone less to do sure doesn't hurt.
2017-2-11
Use props
Salty777
lvl.4
Malaysia

dr.nick Posted at 2017-2-11 14:50
The Osmo+ has its problems but it is pretty remarkable @ it's price point.  Keep in mind the newer setups are going to be 3x+ more expensive.  

I'm often using the Osmo+ on the top of a 25' stand so I've wrestled with the wifi connect a lot.  One trick I found that may be helpful to you is to move between the 2.4 and 5gHz settings.  In some locations the 5g seems to have less interference and works better, in other locations the 2.4 is better. Doesn't seem to be any rhyme or reason to it.  I also put the iPhone on Do Not Disturb and turn off all the other functions, Bluetooth, cellular data, etc when I'm shooting.  There are so many variables that I'm not sure if that makes a difference but giving the phone less to do sure doesn't hurt.

Thanks for the tips Dr Nick, I'll keep those in mind!
2017-2-11
Use props
Ranze
lvl.1

United States

Salty777 Posted at 2017-2-11 08:28
So, bought the Osmo+ (just as news coming out about Osmo 2 / hand held 3 or whatever for the new cameras! Typical)

Initial set up was not a great experience..... took several attempts to get it to ask me to sign in. Frustrating, took a couple of hours.

I literally just got my Osmo+ yesterday. Where is this info on the "new" Osmo at? And do you all think I should return my Osmo+ to get this newer version?
2017-2-11
Use props
Salty777
lvl.4
Malaysia

There's a thread or two about it on this forum- here's one   http://forum.dji.com/thread-72286-1-1.html  .... DJI say "coming soon" (think Mavic )
Doubt they'll have zoom.... they're sticks for the X4S and X5S. I need the zoom feature, so decided I won't be returning mine..... it's grrrr....eat! It is sod's law though, whenever I buy new kit a "better version" is announced shortly after!!

2017-2-12
Use props
fans8c0365c7
lvl.1
Greece

So, what is your experience form low light performance ? I need a small handelhd gimbal like OSMO (or OSMO+) but there are so many reports that there is so much noise at low light that it's not worth. It is perfect for daylight only.  This is why I still waiting for OSMO with x4s or x5s.
2017-2-12
Use props
dr.nick
lvl.3
United States

OSMO+ is very noisy in low light so if you're shooting a lot of available light indoors it's suboptimal.  Full sun outdoors or decently lit interiors it's fine for a 1/2" chip camera. The other models slated for "ground use" ... x4s = no zoom and x5s you're looking at $2k+ so you're talking a big jump up in cost for that low light performance.  Justifiable depending on how you're using it.
2017-2-12
Use props
Salty777
lvl.4
Malaysia

fans8c0365c7 Posted at 2017-2-12 08:34
So, what is your experience form low light performance ? I need a small handelhd gimbal like OSMO (or OSMO+) but there are so many reports that there is so much noise at low light that it's not worth. It is perfect for daylight only.  This is why I still waiting for OSMO with x4s or x5s.

I've only had it 3 days!

I find I've taken more "useable" footage indoors than I expected to..... it's good enough for me, but I'm easily impressed and not doing this professionally!

There are some great examples on YouTube.... search for "Osmo low light" and you'll get a good idea.... beware some of them may be the Pro version with the X5!!
2017-2-13
Use props
fans8c0365c7
lvl.1
Greece

dr.nick Posted at 2017-2-12 19:19
OSMO+ is very noisy in low light so if you're shooting a lot of available light indoors it's suboptimal.  Full sun outdoors or decently lit interiors it's fine for a 1/2" chip camera. The other models slated for "ground use" ... x4s = no zoom and x5s you're looking at $2k+ so you're talking a big jump up in cost for that low light performance.  Justifiable depending on how you're using it.

x4s would be fine for me I think... but It seems there is no osmo with x4s. On the other hand,   X5 and X5r are so expensive that is not worth buying' em... since with the same money you can get a new high end sony a6300 along with a 3 axis stabilize gimbal like beholder or other.
2017-2-15
Use props
dr.nick
lvl.3
United States

fans8c0365c7 Posted at 2017-2-15 06:52
x4s would be fine for me I think... but It seems there is no osmo with x4s. On the other hand,   X5 and X5r are so expensive that is not worth buying' em... since with the same money you can get a new high end sony a6300 along with a 3 axis stabilize gimbal like beholder or other.

x4s handheld setup "coming soon" ...  http://www.dji.com/inspire-2
2017-2-15
Use props
FrequentFlyer
Second Officer
United States

I havnt had the best of luck shooting in low light. I need to start playing around more with the Osmo in darker conditions.
2017-2-15
Use props
fans8c0365c7
lvl.1
Greece

We are waiting fot the new OSMO with X4s, but I believe that osmo products are more expensive that they should be... for example  x5 osmo is worth more than a high end APS-C camera !!!!!! and about 2.5  times the price of  a professional stabilizer gimbal.
2017-2-15
Use props
Salty777
lvl.4
Malaysia

Took it to a school play tonight, set to manual, 30FPS, 1/30 shutter speed, ISO 800, 4k. Very, very happy! It turned out much better than expected.

Downside was the weird limit of 9m 20s per clip, and a drop of a couple of seconds..... not good.

The microphone looks embarrassing but did a surprisingly good job. I've seen loads of complaints about the mic and am wondering if it was properly plugged in?

Not broadcast quality, but with the stabilisation, this was the best school play I've ever recorded. I'm glad I bought it.
2017-2-16
Use props
dr.nick
lvl.3
United States

Salty777 Posted at 2017-2-16 07:46
Took it to a school play tonight, set to manual, 30FPS, 1/30 shutter speed, ISO 800, 4k. Very, very happy! It turned out much better than expected.

Downside was the weird limit of 9m 20s per clip, and a drop of a couple of seconds..... not good.

That's the longest uninterrupted clip you'll get in 4K.  At 4G file size it "chapters" a new file losing a couple secs in the process.  1080/30 is a little under 14min max.  Haven't tested 720 yet.
2017-2-16
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules