4697 24 2017-2-9
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
dopey-tree
lvl.4
Flight distance : 6716467 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Iceland by drone. This is a little re-edit of our 2016 Iceland footage. Me & my brother spent 2 weeks camping in a skoda estate eating dodgy food & coffee, driving the whole ring road around Iceland. If you get the chance go visit!!!

2017-2-9
Use props
Nigpd
lvl.4
Flight distance : 597677 ft
United Kingdom

would really like to pick your brains on the logistics of your trip as I would love to do the same.  Can I add you please?
2017-2-9
Use props
dopey-tree
lvl.4
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Nigpd Posted at 2017-2-9 04:45
would really like to pick your brains on the logistics of your trip as I would love to do the same.  Can I add you please?

Yeah I'm more than happy to chat about it all on here. We flew out with easy jet & picked up a car with easyjet too which ended up being with Green motion. We flew out with a camping stove & picked up gas for it at the petrol stations on our trip. Basically we ate at petrol stations they do hotdogs cheap & free coffee. We had a skoda estate car with heated seats! Bliss. We took extra warm small sleeping bags. Slept in the car & this meant we were in the right place for filming. Plus its quite cool waking up & having a coffee outside with an awesome view! Then every 3 days we checked into a hostel with a private room to charge up batteries etc. Next time I would definitely take a car inverter to charge on the road! You can make bookings as you go round on your phone. Plus 1 awesome Airbnb stay up in the north in Akureyri. There's route maps available here: http://www.hostel.is/SampleItineraries/Pretty much everything is sign posted & you can always ask the other tourists what is good or the locals too.

Basically we did a 14 day route but then skipped bits that didnt sound so good. We drove all around the main ring road stopping wherever looks good & working out where might be the best place to be for sunset. We had some amazing weather for the last few days so went back & redid the glaciers & the ridiculous walk to that crashed plane. It's not easy as the weather changes a lot it can be pouring one day & not the next & its always very windy! You'll need a battery heater & if you hire a 4x4 you could prob go offroad onto some cooler paths. we went in early April I would probably advice then or may / june for epic sunsets. Before then can be very icy & wet. Clearly use common sense - If there's a huge crowd of people then down fly over or near then! Have fun!
2017-2-9
Use props
dopey-tree
lvl.4
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Also most of this footage is actually wrecked because there was a bug in the firmware. Making all log video really noisy & flickery. So check your settings & shoot in Cine-D. Still pretty awesome though & can't wait to go back!
2017-2-9
Use props
Nigpd
lvl.4
Flight distance : 597677 ft
United Kingdom

Good write up, fella.  Sounds a blast!  How did you transport the Inspire on the plane?
Shooting in Cine-D is to be recommended?
2017-2-9
Use props
dopey-tree
lvl.4
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Nigpd Posted at 2017-2-9 13:24
Good write up, fella.  Sounds a blast!  How did you transport the Inspire on the plane?

Previously I had bought a case that fits the inspire case inspire. Its this one - also you don't need the foam. http://www.samcases.co.uk/peli-s ... FqsMCFQQIwwodET4Ajw

Then you check it in the hold minus batteries. You carry the batteries on as hand luggage. The case is about 15kg so if you take many clothes etc you may need to buy another check in bag.
2017-2-9
Use props
Mike9129
Second Officer
Flight distance : 4112812 ft
Ireland

Did this myself this summer, all the way around.

Tho there was 5 of us and we had to camp in the tents every night. I was going to bring my inspire but I was glad I didn't for a finish, charging it would be too much of a pain if your not staying in a hostel every night! My cousin did bring his phantom tho which was ideal as the batteries didn't take too long to charge with the car charger. I'd have been there all day trying to charge the inspire batteries!

All the same, the trip, even if you just had a DSLR or nothing at all with you, is highly recommended! We did the whole island in 7 days for about 550 euro each, including flights from Ireland, all camping fees, car rental (RAV4) and 1 night (the middle day we were there, which happened to be a Wednesday) in a b&b/house.

Spectacular country! If I could afford to stay for 10 days or two weeks, and stay in a house every night, I'd bring the inspire without thinking twice!
2017-2-9
Use props
rodger
First Officer
Flight distance : 20145135 ft
  • >>>
United States

Great color and contrast.
2017-2-11
Use props
P4TRI0T
lvl.3
Flight distance : 53645 ft
United States

Great video, great job.
2017-2-12
Use props
James Patterson
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1958638 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Amazing footage! would love to go but have heard its very expensive!
2017-2-15
Use props
James Patterson
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1958638 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Amazing footage! would love to go but have heard its very expensive!
2017-2-15
Use props
Ackdoh
Second Officer
Flight distance : 6014 ft
United States

Beautiful footage and landscapes!
2017-2-16
Use props
Shaun Yi
lvl.2
Flight distance : 57536 ft
Hong Kong

Mike9129 Posted at 2017-2-9 16:23
Did this myself this summer, all the way around.

Tho there was 5 of us and we had to camp in the tents every night. I was going to bring my inspire but I was glad I didn't for a finish, charging it would be too much of a pain if your not staying in a hostel every night! My cousin did bring his phantom tho which was ideal as the batteries didn't take too long to charge with the car charger. I'd have been there all day trying to charge the inspire batteries!

Hi Mike9129,  great journey and travel guide. Really want to go to Iceland and travel in your way~
Is there any camping station/park there in Iceland. Or it is OK to camp anywhere?
2017-2-21
Use props
DJI-Jamie
DJI team
Flight distance : 112405 ft
United States

Fantastic job, thanks for sharing!
2017-2-21
Use props
fans7eb95767
lvl.1
Flight distance : 10738 ft
United States

pure magic! loved it!
2017-2-22
Use props
bbrodd1
lvl.1

United States

Great shots! hoping to fly here soon!
2017-2-26
Use props
JonCahillPhoto
lvl.2
Flight distance : 15256 ft
United States

Great video and scenery.
2017-2-26
Use props
Mike9129
Second Officer
Flight distance : 4112812 ft
Ireland

Shaun Yi Posted at 2017-2-21 19:38
Hi Mike9129,  great journey and travel guide. Really want to go to Iceland and travel in your way~
Is there any camping station/park there in Iceland. Or it is OK to camp anywhere?

Only seen this now sorry!

There are quite a few camping parks around the country, we used google maps to find all the ones we stayed in! alot of them are quite good, they have common rooms and wifi and showers, so you should be covered for alot of things, but it did cost €30+ per night to setup 2 tents, depending on where we were! The tent rental was pretty cheap too for the week, I can find the name of the shop in Reykjavik we got our stuff from if you want to know more about it.

originally we were planning on booking a campervan to travel, but after having been, I'd say a jeep and tents are the way to go, we wouldn't have been able to drive half as fast, or to close to as many places as we did in a campervan - alot of the roads there aren't tarred, they're just gravel, and you can go down alot of them that dont have bridges too so your driving through rivers!

I'd love to have brought the inspire with me, but charging would've been a massive pain, and we were stuck for space with 5 of us and our luggage for the week in the car, but if you can go over, rent a car and afford using a site like bookings.com to get accommodation as you go, it'd be one of the most spectacular places in the world you could go to fly.

the one bit of advice i will give if you are going camping tho, make sure and buy the underlay for between your sleeping bag and the ground, youll have a much better time when your not sleeping directly on the cold ground!
2017-3-9
Use props
post2gary
New

United Kingdom

Great video!! Are you on Instagram?
2017-3-11
Use props
Working Wonders
lvl.1
Flight distance : 57844 ft
United Kingdom

Great locations. Don't forget that you can fly backwards and sideways too. I'm very jealous. Would love to fly my Inspire there one day.
2017-3-12
Use props
dopey-tree
lvl.4
  • >>>
United Kingdom

For sure - it's pretty cheap to travel there so go for it.

Here's some more Iceland vids:

2017-3-13
Use props
Sestaceans
lvl.4
Flight distance : 3963865 ft
  • >>>
United States

I'm headed to Iceland for a shot in a few weeks.  Do you suggest any must shoot places?
2017-3-21
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

Good job nice video.
2017-3-23
Use props
dopey-tree
lvl.4
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Sestaceans Posted at 2017-3-21 02:01
I'm headed to Iceland for a shot in a few weeks.  Do you suggest any must shoot places?

Loads of cool places in the south! Seljandsfoss waterfall is spectacular. There are larger ones too but this one is easy to film with a drone. Then the black beaches & a Glacier for sure. There's so much to film - I'm sure you'll feel the inspiration when you're there. It's a magic place.
2017-3-24
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Flight distance : 165105 ft
Canada

Awesome video. Lovely scenery. Good job.

Thanks for the share...

RedHotPoker
2017-6-13
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules