Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Long-Distance P4P Flight Testing Results - 3.8 miles Range Achieved
1754 6 2017-2-9
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
TheMann58
Captain
Flight distance : 18669501 ft
  • >>>
Canada

Background: I owned a P4P (not the plus version) for three weeks during which I thoroughly tested its flight, video and photography capabilities. I ultimately returned this P4P to Best Buy due to an unacceptable tilted horizon issue when flying it faster than 15 mph either forward or sideways. In all other aspects I was very pleased with the P4P. The 4K 60 fps 100 Mbps video quality in MOV and MP4 file formats was outstanding. But I own four other DJI aircraft and need fully-functional equipment. I could not adjust horizon tilt with a single gimbal adjustment setting in the DJI GO 4 app because gimbal tilt increased as P4P speed increased above 15 mph. I will wait one or two firmware update cycles and then purchase another one and test it again.   

Long-Distance P4P Flight Testing Results - 3.8 miles Range Achieved

Using fully-conditioned batteries from my older P4, so that I could trust the remaining battery level, I completed two successful long-distance runs to 20,125 feet (3.81 miles) and 20,295 feet (3.84 miles), respectively, over open, flat farm land on two separate days. In both cases, I turned the P4P around at 60% battery level but still had 3-4 bars of RC and video signal. In the first flight I experienced intermittent video signal (but not RC signal) for 2-3 seconds about half-way out, but quickly recovered it and continued with no further issues. On the second, longer run in a slightly different direction, RC and video signal strength remained at 4-5 bars for the entire flight. I could have flown further on both flights based on good RC and video signal, but didn't want to risk running out of battery on return flight. In both flights I landed P4P at Home point with 11-12% battery remaining.

My DJI GO 4 app and equipment setup for the two P4P long-distance flights:

- HD Transmission in Custom Mode, 2.4 GHz selected, Custom Channel 20, 4 Mbps transmission rate (lowest)

- Note: Channel 20 showed the lowest (nil) interference at the Home point and my past experience with dozens of long-distance flights to 4+ miles with my P4, P3Pro and Inspire 1 have used this same Custom channel setup.

- RC antenna pointing straight up, parallel to each other with wide flat sides facing the P4P at all times

- High-quality ($25) solid aluminum Parabolic reflector slipped over and behind the RC antenna

- RC in P mode with 16-18 GPS satellites locked

- Care taken to maintain RC antenna with parabolic reflectors aimed (like satellite dishes) directly at P4P for entire duration of flight

- Fly predominantly at maximum forward stick for entire flight

- Horizontal Speed for 1st Flight: 38 mph for entire flight (Obstacle Avoidance OFF)
- Horizontal Speed for 2nd Flight: 28 mph for first half (Obstacle Avoidance ON), then 35 mph (Obstacle Avoidance OFF)
- Altitude for 1st Flight (196 feet for first 17,800 feet then increased to 384 feet, 387 feet for return leg)

- Altitude for 2nd Flight (206 feet for first 15,000 feet then increased to 357 feet, 357 feet for return leg)

2017-2-9
Use props
BashP4P+
lvl.3

United Kingdom

3.8 miles.. Not bad awesome

When you say channel 20? Does that mean you did the process to show more channels eg full 32? Then selected 20.

Would you please provide a link to the parabolic antentae you purchased?

Is there one way these fit eg just simply slide onto the original antenae on the RC?  Or is there a specific way to sit them/position them?

Thanks for sharing and all the detail along with it.

Very nice to read.

2017-2-9
Use props
TheMann58
Captain
  • >>>
Canada

BashP4P+ Posted at 2017-2-9 09:58
3.8 miles.. Not bad awesome

When you say channel 20? Does that mean you did the process to show more channels eg full 32? Then selected 20.

This is the same "Windsurfer" Aluminum Parabolic Reflector and the vendor from whom I purchased in OCT 2015. Even comes in a nice zippered case. These easily slip on/off the RC antenna after they are raised to vertical position, and the antenna cutouts in the black plastic standoffs on the parabolic reflector ensure the antenna are parallel to each other (optimal position) with wide flat surfaces pointing forward (optimal position).

eBay Link:  http://www.ebay.com/itm/Aluminum ... :g:fbYAAOSwd0BV6Vof

See my post on this topic in P4 forum: http://forum.dji.com/thread-46954-1-1.html

Standard DJI GO 4 app HD channels in 2.4 GHz Custom Mode are numbered 13 through 20 (8 channels total); channel 20 is my go-to channel for minimum interference in MOST (not all) locations; channel 13 is my fallback.  2.4 GHz is superior to 5.8 GHz frequency for use at long distances.
2017-2-9
Use props
BashP4P+
lvl.3

United Kingdom

Thanks..  I can see some on ebay in the UK.

Do you know if there is any difference between the aluminum version and the copper version?

Also have you ever tested how far you got without a range extender?

2017-2-9
Use props
TheMann58
Captain
  • >>>
United States

BashP4P+ Posted at 2017-2-9 11:59
Thanks..  I can see some on ebay in the UK.

Do you know if there is any difference between the aluminum version and the copper version?

I own two aluminum Windsurfers. Can't comment on the copper version.

I always have the Windsurfers on when doing long-distance flights, so I can't comment on maximum range of my P3Pro, P4 or P4P without them. Sorry. But using Windsurfers and the setup described I can easily reach 4+ miles on all three aircraft. My maximum long distance flight was 28,045 feet (5.3 miles) with my P4, but I only made it 4 miles back before I had to land near a farm road at 0% battery. Had live video until P4 was hovering 2 feet above landing spot 1.3 miles away - amazing!
2017-2-9
Use props
BashP4P+
lvl.3

United Kingdom

5.3 miles. Wow. You really like to test limits

Thanks for your time and answering the questions. 0% battery oops
2017-2-10
Use props
BashP4P+
lvl.3

United Kingdom

Your windsurfer/antennae certainly has a good description in ebay. Hes got a video showing a laser reflecting back onto antennae. No matter where you point laser. Perfect curve.

That could well be the difference
2017-2-10
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules