Dynamic Home Point updates automatically?
3142 10 2017-2-9
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
fansed5d1cc0
lvl.3
Flight distance : 325659 ft
United States

If I choose the Dynamic Home Point option in the menu for Home Points in the DJI Go 4 App, does that home point update as I move the controller around with an iPad mini 4 attached to it?

That is, if I am on a boat and the boat is drifting and we are FAR from any land, can I just set the Dynamic Home point option and use RTH to get the drone to fly close enough towards the controller that I can now easily land it manually?  

I want to Use the RTH to get the drone back close enough to the CURRENT controller position (which is FAR from the takeoff point), then land it manually onto the boat.

-Roger
2017-2-9
Use props
fansc29f0729
lvl.1
Flight distance : 121880 ft
  • >>>
Dominican Republic

I hope it is as you say, it is very necessary.
2017-2-9
Use props
fansed5d1cc0
lvl.3
United States

fansc29f0729 Posted at 2017-2-9 11:16
I hope it is as you say, it is very necessary.

The phantom 3 pro does not update the home point automatically as the controller moves.  I have to go back into the menu and manually update the home point to the new controller position and OK the change.  Maybe the p4 pro auto updates it when you choose controller as home point.
2017-2-9
Use props
Mark The Droner
Second Officer
Flight distance : 2917 ft
United States

The P2 series had dynamic home point, but not the P3 series.  You had to do it manually with P3.  Now with P4 it will do it automatically?  That's great but I would check the manual on that and also be sure you have a reliable mobile device as far as GPS goes.  You don't want your home point jumping all over the place.  
2017-2-9
Use props
fans089a6251
New

Germany

I asked the Litchi guys yesterday for this dynamic home point feature with 2s update frequency. They said, it's only available in their Android app at the moment. There's no schedule for the implementation in the iOS version of Litchi...
2017-2-9
Use props
fansed5d1cc0
lvl.3
United States

I have a wifi Ipad (no cell) and it doesnt really support any sort of dynamic home point.  Even with an android phone, it wouldnt be reliable if its relying on the GPS built into the mobile device.  While at sea you dont ever have wifi or cell so the devices location services are useless and not reliable.

I wonder if theres a way to get a mobile device that has reliable GPS without WiFi or Cell available.
2017-2-9
Use props
Geebax
First Officer
Australia

fansed5d1cc0 Posted at 2017-2-9 12:38
I have a wifi Ipad (no cell) and it doesnt really support any sort of dynamic home point.  Even with an android phone, it wouldnt be reliable if its relying on the GPS built into the mobile device.  While at sea you dont ever have wifi or cell so the devices location services are useless and not reliable.

I wonder if theres a way to get a mobile device that has reliable GPS without WiFi or Cell available.

Mobile devices can still get GPS fixes, even without cell or WiFi connectivity, often you can set the mode in settings. The cell location is often used to get a fast fix, but it is not necessarily used from that point onwards. If you want a better fix, you can buy a Garmin GPS receiver that will tether to your phone using Bluetooth.
2017-2-9
Use props
KM5RG-Robert
Second Officer
Flight distance : 2075213 ft
United States

GPS fix does not need to be THAT accurate if you only want to get in the vicinity of the boat anyway. 30m accuracy is plenty (and well within phone accuracy in the open).
I would recommend not flying around for more than 10 minutes or so, leaving the second half of your battery for retrieving the AC. The water is unforgiving.
2017-2-9
Use props
fansed5d1cc0
lvl.3
United States

I have an iPad mini 4 wifi only, and it has NO GPS.  That is the root of my problems right now.  I need to get one with cellular i think to have gps.
2017-2-9
Use props
nzfritz
lvl.2
Flight distance : 263796 ft
  • >>>
Indonesia

It's supposed do that with the new  firmware.

I'm testing it. Ow and can't figure out how!
2017-5-27
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 9991457 ft
  • >>>
Australia

nzfritz Posted at 2017-5-27 01:30
It's supposed do that with the new  firmware.

I'm testing it. Ow and can't figure out how!

There is no dynamic home point.
You can only reset the home point to either the current location of the Phantom or the controller.
It will not continue updating.

The new app says that the Inspire 2 has an updating homepoint feature.
2017-5-27
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules