Travel Cases - What is the smallest one
6404 35 2015-2-20
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
MvH
lvl.1

Switzerland

While the case that comes with the Inspire 1 isn't bad, I'm looking for something that has stronger foam inside and possibly a stronger outer shell...

But the main critiria is size. All the cases I have seen so far (apart from DJI's) are way too bulky. Some don't store the Inspire in travel mode, etc. Also quite a few of them have space for 6+ batteries, which I clearly don't need and I'm not sure how many non-pro users need (3 batteries and maybe 1 inside the Inspire is all I need).

Does anyone have any recommenations? The GoProfessional Case I have seen is super lager and hevy. The Pelikan seems to be big too.

M
2015-2-20
Use props
metalios
lvl.3
Flight distance : 892703 ft
  • >>>
United States

Nothing yet bro ...  We're all waiting.  Tradecraft Case and HPRC all huge too.
2015-2-20
Use props
alexmarnas
lvl.4
Flight distance : 606237 ft
France

Same problem here, waiting for something else, using the dji one in the cabin so far. But how long the case will resist???
2015-2-20
Use props
MvH
lvl.1

Switzerland

I'm sure there is demand... I wonder why the GPC or Pelican keep doing these huge cases that are really only for professional film makers. The Inspire is likely going to attract much more consumers than professionals.

2015-2-20
Use props
GB44
Second Officer
Flight distance : 343848 ft
United Kingdom

As posted on many posts in the forum now, Peli im2875 case.  This is the smallest case that will allow the Inspire to fit into the base.  However, if you wish you can also place the complete DJI case inside the Peli case.

Peli cases are also guaranteed for life.  Some are now available in the USA with custom foam for the Inspire

http://www.samcases.co.uk/peli-s ... orm-im2875-case.htm

Hope this helps
2015-2-20
Use props
alexmarnas
lvl.4
France

Thanks GB44,

But here is the problem, there is no solution, for a hard case, stronger than the original DJI case but fitting in the cabin overhead bins!
The 2875 is great but to big, it is a nice one to be checked in but not as hand luggage...
2015-2-20
Use props
MvH
lvl.1

Switzerland

Thanks GB44. I looked at the case. I was hoping it to be flatter (not as tall) and not as wide. The one that comes with the Inspire isn't bad size wise, but unfortunately the foam is super weak and the outer shell is ok, but I'm not sure it will resist some mishandling.

Does anyone know if there are companies that would have a good (small) hard shell and that would cut the foam to fit:
1. Inspire in travel mode
2. Camera in camera box
3. Charger + cables
4. 2 Remotes
5. 2 max 3 additional batteries as one can be inside the inspire
6. Space for storing 8 props/6 prop guards

I don't need a box where I can store 6+1 batteries.... Especially since I have the TB48, where I'm limited to 2 when travelling in planes.

2015-2-21
Use props
ZeroCool
lvl.2

United States

MvH Posted at 2015-2-21 20:40
Thanks GB44. I looked at the case. I was hoping it to be flatter (not as tall) and not as wide. The  ...

yea, i've took the measurements and checked if i can use the DJI case as a carry on but seems it will not fly. I'll try tomorrow if it will be allowed as a carry on since im flying to FL.
2015-2-21
Use props
joekeantang.gma
lvl.4

United States

http://www.uav-outlet.com/produc ... -dji-inspire-1.html   I think this one is smaller! but not to the point where you can keep it on the cabin!
2015-2-21
Use props
alexmarnas
lvl.4
France

Just took the plane with the original DJI case, 4 TB47 inside. From Tokyo to Geneva via Moscow. A330 and A321, no problem at all!!!
Nobody asked me for anything. The second plane was full, so instead of boarding last as usual, I have decided to be among the first and I manage to drop the case when the overhead was still empty.
2015-2-21
Use props
metalios
lvl.3
Flight distance : 892703 ft
  • >>>
United States

have had the same experience
2015-2-21
Use props
DroneHangarCase
New

United States

I am with Custom Case Group and we are just introducing a new drone case line called Drone Hangar Cases and currently have cases for the Inspire 1 and the Phantom Vision 2 and 2+ series.  All cases are Pelican and Pelican Storm with very high quality water jet cut foam cushions.  We will have soft bags for the Inspire 1 and Phantom Vision 2 and 2+ line with the same high quality foam inserts available in the next few weeks.  The Inspire 1 soft bag holds the copter in flight mode.  Check out out our web page at www.dronehangar.com for more info.  Check back with us as we are currently adding a lot more products weekly.  We are also offering a free Pelican Memory Card case with each order while supplies last.
DH_INSP1_ 8batt_red (6).jpg
2015-3-10
Use props
wesdorman
lvl.2

United States

Everyone who seems to tell stories of carrying their Inspire cases on-board.... these people are just "plane" lucky... (yes I meant to spell plain plane)  These cases are oversize and eventually you will be denied.  Just because you get through TSA or your local security screening does not mean you will get on-board the plane.  The airlines are getting more and more aggressive with carry-on...  The airlines always want to speed up boarding times in attempt to improve their on-time departure schedules.  But if you manage to carry on-board I'm happy for you.  

In the meantime, I would be prepared at the gate for plan B.  Plan B starts with "I'm sorry but we will need to gate check you bag.  It will not fit the overhead bins".  Be ready to remove all your batteries and let the gate agent take your Inspire case.  (if you are thinking you will leave your Lithium Batteries in the case and check it, let me know so I will get off your fight).

The reason that lithium batteries are not allow as "checked baggage" is because of the rare, but possible fire hazard these batteries bear.  You may think the batteries are safe, but that last hard landing or crash you had with that "one" battery, may have damaged a cell and you didn't notice the battery is swelling up slightly.  We don't want your battery in the baggage hold where we can not deal with a fire properly.  It is much better to have the battery in the pressurized cabin and in the event of fire, a flight attendant will quickly deal with it.

Personally my plan A is checking the Inspire at checkin and I will carry a case on-board with the batteries.  I will follow TSA rules here in the states and rules elsewhere.  I don't want to show up on-location and find a notice that the TSA or some security person, removed my Lithium Ion batteries at my departure city.  Or the "other" more worse case.

I hope you think about your plan A and if I'm on your flight..... plan B
2015-3-10
Use props
will
lvl.2

United States

Not to be snarky but what is it about these cases that justifies $500 USD? That's a lot of money for just a bit more foam and hard plastic!
2015-3-10
Use props
lon.garwood
lvl.2

United States

Agree.   I would like to see slightly smaller (and robust) version of the existing stock DJI Inspire case (2, max 3 batteries as someone suggested above), and one that does indeed pass the 'carry on' size restrictions and fit into an overhead bin more freely.  It does not have to be 'bullet proof' construction but something robust enough to where  it could go also as 'checked baggage' (sans batteries of course), oh and I forgot one important wish list item, that it cost (well) under $500usd.  

2015-3-11
Use props
bornish
lvl.3
Flight distance : 91447 ft
United Arab Emirates

DroneHangarCase Posted at 2015-3-11 01:35
I am with Custom Case Group and we are just introducing a new drone case line called Drone Hangar Ca ...

Don't mind me being so frank: these cases are way bigger than they NEED to be.
I made myself a custom suitcase (105 mm slim) for holding P2V+ with all accessories including 2 batteries.
Since I have an I1 now, got sold to a lucky buyer of the P2V+.
Most likely I will make a custom case for the I1 as well, as most manufacturers are unable to do a proper marketing and brainstorm.
I find all these cases unusable for the average traveler and their cost way too high. My custom suitcase, without considering the 5 days work I put into, came roughly to half the price of any case from the market.
My first advice for manufacturers: make a backpack that protects the bird against water / dust / small shocks and be as small in size as possible. In case of the I1, you don't need to place the entire thing inside the same compartment of the backpack. Think of it as a protection cover for the important parts. Design & market before anything else. If needed, have a few prototypes tested in the field.
Here's a few free ideas from me:
- carbon fiber shells
- gel NOT foam anti-shock layer
- shape around unmovable parts of the drone
- protective enclosures snap-connectivity
- small / light skeleton for the shells to be either carried as a backpack or trolley
Hope this helps.
Regards,
Bogdan
2015-3-11
Use props
GB44
Second Officer
United Kingdom

As my previous posts, I believe the Peli im2875 is the smallest robust case that the Inspire will fit into.

I have a Peli 1560 case for my Phantom 2 aircraft etc. and get enough gear in it and two extra batteries.  It is a very robust case and more than suitable as checked in luggage.  Highly recommended.

The Peli website shows these cases being driven over, which I guess is why the military also use them because they are durable, tested and come with a lifetime warranty.

I wouldn't hesitate to get another Peli case for the Inspire, when I can afford one, especially for commercial flights and check-in baggage on international flights

2015-3-11
Use props
doug
lvl.2
Flight distance : 1897198 ft
United States

GB44 Posted at 2015-2-21 02:32
As posted on many posts in the forum now, Peli im2875 case.  This is the smallest case that will all ...

This seems like a great way to go. I like the idea of simply putting the full stock case inside the (slightly) larger Pelican. (Not to mention saving $150+). What happens when you take the foam inserts from the stock I1 case and place them into the empty Pelican Storm 2875? Strap the foam together with the I1 inside (batteries in your carry-on), throw some clothes/equip/whatnot around the sides to take up some space and you're good to go. Has anyone tried this?
2015-3-13
Use props
markjacobs.talk
lvl.4
Flight distance : 120784 ft
United Kingdom

GB44 Posted at 2015-3-11 20:07
As my previous posts, I believe the Peli im2875 is the smallest robust case that the Inspire will fi ...

+1
The Pelican cases are the number 1 choice for production crews all over the world and there is good reason for that..... Your equipment will get to where it's going intact!
I was just about to pull the trigger and order an im2875 myself but had a long chat with Peli UK. They are currently in talks with another manufacturer to supply im2875's and the custom foam will be water jet cut for a bespoke design.
At present they could not give me a timeframe because they are still in discussions.
I have other Peli cases for my other video equipment and I do not hesitate to check them into the hold.
HPRC cases hinges snap with rough handling Pelicans do not!
I know I sound like a bloody advert for Peli but they are the only cases I trust my gear to.
2015-3-13
Use props
Inspire1flyer
lvl.2

United States

will@willbarnwe Posted at 2015-3-11 11:31
Not to be snarky but what is it about these cases that justifies $500 USD? That's a lot of money for ...

Not to be snarky but nothing about this hobby is cheap!
2015-3-13
Use props
arunmehta
lvl.4
Flight distance : 120909757 ft
  • >>>
Canada

Inspire1flyer Posted at 2015-3-14 03:35
Not to be snarky but nothing about this hobby is cheap!

i was thinking of making a carry on case for the CRAFT ONLY and carrying the batteries and props and gimble separately this way you can carry everything on your person in a plane
2015-3-13
Use props
Inspire1flyer
lvl.2

United States

2014narem is a seller I found on eBay who is selling a soft sided case for the I1. They come with the molded foam, which looks very similar to the GPC's. Currently they are doing pre- orders on an initial run of 100 pcs for $247. Looks quite compact, but still holds two radios and all the other pieces of kits and slots for 3 batts. It is soft sided, but looks quality made, check em  out.
2015-3-13
Use props
GB44
Second Officer
United Kingdom

markjacobs.talk Posted at 2015-3-14 03:17
+1
The Pelican cases are the number 1 choice for production crews all over the world and there is g ...

Mark,

I agree, Peli cases are very robust and also used by the military.

I have a one with all my Phantom gear in it and wouldnt hesitate to check it into the hold when flying and  have confidence that it will protect whats inside during the flight.  I will certainly be getting a Peli for my Inspire when I can afford one as the DJI case is rubbish.  Bits of foam are always coming off it and you run the risk of the little bits of foam getting into the engines.
2015-3-15
Use props
Go Professional
lvl.1

United States

Go Professional Cases is now offering four epic cases for the Inspire 1.  Many of you are looking for a more compact option for every day use.  Check out our new DJI Inspire 1 Compact Case http://goprofessionalcases.com/shopcases/dji-inspire-1-c.html.  This case will provide the functionality and protection you are used to with a Go Professional Case in a more compact package.  

We also have a Inspire 1 Travel Mode Case, Landing Mode Case, and our newest Inspire/Phantom combo case that features an Inspire 1 and Phantom in the same case!

Looking for something special? Contact us and we will design a custom case just for you.   
2015-4-24
Use props
PeteGould
lvl.4

United States

Go Professional Posted at 2015-4-25 03:51
Go Professional Cases is now offering four epic cases for the Inspire 1.  Many of you are looking fo ...

Your link doesn't work - 404 error.
2015-4-24
Use props
insectorchid3
lvl.2

United States

i found this. it is the smallest i have come across
http://goprofessionalcases.com/shopcases/dji-inspire-1-c.html
2015-4-25
Use props
alexmarnas
lvl.4
Australia

Yes but this is far to be small enough to meet the airline carry-on luggage requirements!

I am still using the one delivered with the drone, but I do not know how much longer it will last...
2015-4-25
Use props
alexmarnas
lvl.4
Australia

Yes but this is far to be small enough to meet the airline carry-on luggage requirements!

I am still using the one delivered with the drone, but I do not know how much longer it will last...
2015-4-25
Use props
alexmarnas
lvl.4
Australia

Inspire 1 bag

Here is maybe an option to investigate, for those looking for something light and small enough to carry it on-board an airplane.
2015-4-25
Use props
DJK
New
Flight distance : 44154 ft
United States

I was wondering if there is a normal overhead bin size roller suitcase that you could fit the inspire into it. Have not yet determined the minimum size of the inspire in gear down position.
2015-4-25
Use props
Heavydpj
lvl.2
Flight distance : 611027 ft
United States

So I'm reading this two years later, lol.  I just got my stock case bumped to checked (and nearly had to pay a $35 fee) because it was WELL outside the 22" x 14"  x 9" template that US airlines use.  I looked at the soft cases, and they, too, seem too large.  

In measuring my Inspire, the landing mode measurements are about 22 x 18" F-B, 22" L-R,  x 8" T-B, and flight mode makes it 18" F-B, 18" L-R, and 13" T-B.

Bottom line - there is no possible way to get this into a standard carry on bag.

Anyone have a different experience?
2017-3-13
Use props
Aeromirage
First Officer
Flight distance : 1778045 ft
  • >>>
United States

Have you looked at these?
http://www.caseman.com/product/DRCS1E.html
Not quite small enough for carry on, but way smaller than the bug Trunks!!
I have one and can stand on it......
xxxfq.jpg
2017-3-13
Use props
delcodrones
lvl.3
Flight distance : 440367 ft

United States

Switched from a GPC to this, InsPak X5 its a game changer
http://www.bestemaerial.com/InsP ... ell-Black_p_46.html
2017-3-17
Use props
TruGreen
Second Officer
Flight distance : 621909 ft
  • >>>
United States

i recently switched from the OEM DJI case to the InsPak X5 backpack, and love it. haven't flown on a plane with it yet but the fact it stores everything the stock case does minus 1 battery, and you keep the bird in landing mode with gimbal attached means at the time of flight I just remove the bird pop a battery in attach the props and bam ready to fly. none of the messing around with travel mode and lining the gimbal up anymore for me
2017-3-22
Use props
DemolitionMan14
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1963583 ft
  • >>>
United States

This response is coming from someone who flies significant amounts with an Inspire 1.  You will never get a case small enough to meet the carry on luggage guidelines.  The maximum carry on dimensions on US legacy carriers (AA, Delta and United) is 55x35x22cm and Southwest is 60x40x25cm.  In travel mode the dimensions of the Inspire 1 is 51x44x19cm.  Therefore, the Inspire 1 with no case is technically over the maximum dimensions in 1 plane (width) for the legacy carriers.  Say you can find a case that adds at a minimum 4cm on each plane for padding you are looking at 55x48x23cm.  You are now over maximum dimensions on 2 planes (width and height).  If you get to carry it on you are straight up lucky.  I always travel with it as checked baggage in a Pelican im2875 case.  Last thing I want is to have to gate check it with out being able to have it protected by a pelican case.
2017-3-29
Use props
delcodrones
lvl.3
Flight distance : 440367 ft

United States

TruGreen Posted at 2017-3-22 05:53
i recently switched from the OEM DJI case to the InsPak X5 backpack, and love it. haven't flown on a plane with it yet but the fact it stores everything the stock case does minus 1 battery, and you keep the bird in landing mode with gimbal attached means at the time of flight I just remove the bird pop a battery in attach the props and bam ready to fly. none of the messing around with travel mode and lining the gimbal up anymore for me

I recently travel to Maui with Inspire 1 packed in The InsPak X5 through 3 airports with no issues at all. A
2017-4-1
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules