Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
A Phantom....Phantom?
565 10 2017-2-10
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
DroneSmeg
Second Officer
Flight distance : 478461 ft
Taiwan

Not sure if this has happened to anyone, but I had a weird experience flying recently. My drone spontaneously came back to life after shut down. It became a phantom Phantom! I landed and the engines shut down completely. After a pause to remove my phone from the clip, I then turned off the remote and the drone sprang back to life and lanunched on its own. It only went up a couple meters, but started drifting dangerously toward obstacles nearby. I rushed to turn on the remote again and seemed to regain control after about a second or so. I mananged to make it land, but it did so really awkwardly, falling on one side and scraping the ground briefly with its props. Anyway, I finally shut it off and the next flight went without issue. Anyone had anything like this happen?

It happened when flying here:

2017-2-10
Use props
FuZZyPiLOT
First Officer
Flight distance : 1353215 ft
Belgium

It seems very foggy on the video, so lots of moisture in the air, probably not doing the Phantom any favors.

Would you have accidentally hit a button when removing the phone from the holder?
2017-2-10
Use props
DroneSmeg
Second Officer
Taiwan

FuZZyPiLOT Posted at 2017-2-10 03:24
It seems very foggy on the video, so lots of moisture in the air, probably not doing the Phantom any favors.

Would you have accidentally hit a button when removing the phone from the holder?

Hadn't thought about humidity. There's plenty of it in this climate. However, I keep most of my electronics stored in dry boxes and the drone is quite new. I am wondering if I somehow hit auto launch on my phone, but it didn't seem to launch until I turned off the remote. I could be wrong about this, though. I hope it is just some kind of operator error.
2017-2-10
Use props
Mark The Droner
Captain
Flight distance : 2917 ft
United States

What were you flying?

There used to be a risk of this kind of thing back in the old days.  If you placed your phantom on the ground and started it up without turning on your RC first, there was a risk that the AC will boot up, realize it doesn't have a control signal, and begin RTH when it thinks the home point is over 20 meters away.  Or if you landed more than 20 meters from your home point and stopped the motors and turned off your RC but left the AC on, it would go into RTH.  I haven't heard of this happening lately so I assume DJI did something to the more modern Phantoms to stop this.  

Or maybe not.  

2017-2-10
Use props
blackcrusader
First Officer
Flight distance : 689774 ft
Taiwan

I reckon there is a ghost in his drone.  His done has been flying to close to temples.  Needs to have an exorcism.
2017-2-10
Use props
Dave P
lvl.4
Flight distance : 207664 ft
United Kingdom

It may show in the flight record if you accidentally hit the auto take off, though that requires you to operate a slider as well, at least on the recent versions
2017-2-10
Use props
DroneSmeg
Second Officer
Taiwan

Mark The Droner Posted at 2017-2-10 04:26
What were you flying?

There used to be a big risk of this back in the old days.  If you placed your phantom on the ground and started it up without turning on your RC first, there was a risk that the AC will boot up, realize it doesn't have a control signal, and begin RTH.  I haven't heard of this happening lately so I assume DJI did something to the more modern Phantoms to stop this.

I was flying  P3 standard. It didn't seem to do RTH, just sort of drift out of control. If no one else reports this kind of thing, I'll dismiss it as an anomaly. I've started turning off the battery before turning off the controller or leaving the app, though.
2017-2-10
Use props
Labroides
Captain
Flight distance : 9991457 ft
  • >>>
Australia

" I landed and the engines shut down completely. After a pause to remove my phone from the clip, I then turned off the remote and the drone sprang back to life and lanunched on its own. "

No great mystery there.  There have been many similar reports.
Your Phantom lost signal because you switched off the controller while you had left teh Phantom on.
It was attempting to RTH.
Don't leave your Phantom sitting powered on and don't switch the controller off first.
2017-2-10
Use props
DroneSmeg
Second Officer
Taiwan

Labroides Posted at 2017-2-10 05:08
" I landed and the engines shut down completely. After a pause to remove my phone from the clip, I then turned off the remote and the drone sprang back to life and lanunched on its own. "

No great mystery there.  There have been many similar reports.

Ok, it kind of confirms my hypothesis. I've since been turning off the drone battery first before remote and/or APP. Lesson learned without lost or damaged drone. I'll take it.
2017-2-10
Use props
MerlinL14
First Officer
Flight distance : 2858 ft
United Kingdom

It was because you turned off the transmitter before turning off the aircraft.
Power on: Transmitter then Aircraft.
Power off: Aircraft then Transmitter.
2017-2-10
Use props
Maxi3D
Captain
Flight distance : 307621 ft
  • >>>
United States

Always power on the aircraft last and power off the aircraft first. It's been like that since the early days of manual quadcopters.
2017-2-10
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules