Inspire battery fire
4894 24 2017-2-10
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
jefnel
lvl.1

United States

Resized_20170209_182833.jpeg Resized_20170209_183823.jpeg Still not really sure what happened but last night I was working on updating my inspire and the battery I was using said it had a bad cell and to send back to DJI.  i exchanged it with another one and left it sitting next to the charger but not charging.  I was back in my room downloading the firmware when all of my smoke detectors starting going off.  I went into the main part of the house and when I got to the office where I had left the battery it was fully in flames.  Luckily my son got to the fire extinguisher before the desk was fully engulfed in flames and we got the fire out.  if no one had been home we probably would have burned the house down.

Resized_20170209_183829.jpeg
2017-2-10
Use props
method007
Second Officer
Flight distance : 110449 ft
  • >>>
United States

Can you post pictures please?
2017-2-10
Use props
DJI-Jamie
DJI team
Flight distance : 112405 ft
United States

Just to clarify, did you notice the bad cell warning after checking the firmware versions in the Go app after a failed or success audio queue? Did you notice whether the battery was slightly swollen or malleable in any way? How long have you had this battery? Have you gotten in contact with the Support team in order to look into a warranty claim? Good to hear you were able to keep it from getting out of hand.
2017-2-10
Use props
jefnel
lvl.1

United States

DJI-Jamie Posted at 2017-2-10 14:26
Just to clarify, did you notice the bad cell warning after checking the firmware versions in the Go app after a failed or success audio queue? Did you notice whether the battery was slightly swollen or malleable in any way? How long have you had this battery? Have you gotten in contact with the Support team in order to look into a warranty claim? Good to hear you were able to keep it from getting out of hand.

i noticed the message in the Go app.  the battery was not swollen.  it was approximately 2 years old . i havent contacted anyone about a warranty claim.  since the battery was 2 years old i didnt figure there was anything DJI would do.
2017-2-10
Use props
jefnel
lvl.1

United States

i just tried my other 2 batteries.  luckily i kept the inspire at a low hover as it completely shut down and dropped like a rock.  avmazingly it landed so hard the battery popped loose and nothing was damaged.  that battery is now dead.  I tried my 3rd battery and now know to watch the battery screen.  1 cell showed very low voltage i carefully ran it up and as soon as i did the voltage turned red and I had to shut it down.  amazing all 3 of my batteries are toast after not using them for 4 months
2017-2-11
Use props
DJI-Thor
Administrator
Flight distance : 13602 ft

Hi, OP, please put the burnt battery in water asap, you can put it into a bucket of water and put the bucket outdoors, for example. It will form a lithium cover to protect the battery from further chemical reaction with the air.

Please send me an email via***@dji.com  with the link of this post and if possible, your phone number, and we'd like to contact you and compensate.

If the battery still can power on the drone, please do so and check the firmware version of the battery in DJI Go.  If the drone no longer powers on, please sync the latest flight record if it's on your phone/tablet and tell us your DJI account name(email). Thank you.
2017-2-12
Use props
fansa84fe8a4
Second Officer
Flight distance : 3 ft
United States

WHOA!  This is bad!

I got one battery sitting by my easy chair on the carpeted floor where a sundry array of chargers are plugged into an electrical strip.  Might be time to buy a lipo bag or vented metal ammo can to put them into.

2017-2-12
Use props
Farnk666
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1711394 ft
United States

That's a close call - thanks for sharing.
It's a timely reminder to all of us not to take batteries for granted and to manage them for both safety and performance.
Very glad to hear that no-one was hurt, while it looks messy I hope that damage was minimal.

Did your mac survive?
2017-2-12
Use props
jefnel
lvl.1

United States

Havent tried the mac yet.  the desk is going in the trash.
2017-2-13
Use props
Donnie Stugots
First Officer
Flight distance : 3636782 ft
United States

Just wondering did the go app say"broken cell".  or "bad cell "  the reason I ask is when I had a "broken cell" DJI was not very concerned .  If you had BAD CELL that may be a  different story .

sorry for your fire, WOW

donnie ( also sent you a PM )
2017-2-13
Use props
WYHSniper1007
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1003822 ft
  • >>>
United States

OMG, first inspire 2 battery in fire ever
2017-2-13
Use props
Donnie Stugots
First Officer
United States

WYHSniper1007 Posted at 2017-2-13 13:25
OMG, first inspire 2 battery in fire ever

Sniper this is  the Inspire 1 battery that went up in flames .  SCARY for sure !!

donnie
2017-2-13
Use props
Coigreach
lvl.4
Flight distance : 546014 ft
Australia

Was it a TB47 or TB 48?
Can't quite tell it all up in smoke. sorry for your loss!
2017-2-14
Use props
fansa84fe8a4
Second Officer
Flight distance : 3 ft
United States

Least this "Inspired" me to go out and buy a Li-Po bag yesterday at the hobby shop.  He was out of the zippered lunch box ones and only had the snap-flip cover types that can flame out the sides of the flap.

Been worried too about the auto-drain battery feature with the things while in the plastic and foam carry boxes too like in the photos above.  Not exactly fire resistant and could be worse as I carry mine in the car and I know it gets hot in there at times and being black.  Dunno.

I've got an old metal ammo can too but don't know about adding a hole for an air vent or not.  I thought of one of those metal 1" electrical box plugs so it could blow out and not blow the metal box apart.  Didn't know what to line it with either to keep the battery from banging around in it.
2017-2-14
Use props
jonathanp
lvl.4
Flight distance : 519275 ft
Canada

Wow.  I guess it's time to invest in a ammo case!
2017-2-15
Use props
jonathanp
lvl.4
Canada

Yikes.  I've got about 10 batteries that haven't been used for over 3 months or more because of bad weather (Canadian winter).  I hope this isolated.
2017-2-15
Use props
Donnie Stugots
First Officer
United States

jonathanp Posted at 2017-2-15 12:46
Yikes.  I've got about 10 batteries that haven't been used for over 3 months or more because of bad weather (Canadian winter).  I hope this isolated.

I was very surprised at how quickly DJI jumped in reading compensation .....that seemed odd to me without a full investigation .  I mean it is very good and all but makes it seem in my mind, this is a Normal day and that a battery caught fire.....give them a check .  NOT saying this is the case, just when I had a claim I had to bend over backward with proof and what not  ( NOT with DJI separate incident ) .  I sure did change my storage area of my batteries , this is scary , I hope and Pray this is Isolated case .

donnie

2017-2-16
Use props
Roastie
lvl.2

France

Wow - that's surprising - I'm glad no-one was hurt!

Um.....  I have not used my Inspire 1 for about 6 months (because I have recently become a father) and I went to charge the batteries and none of them charge anymore.  None of them come on when the button is pressed.

I was able to revive one of them by following some instructions I found online, but in the GO app it said that there was a bad cell and to land immediately.  Which I did.

So, out of my 3 batteries, 2 are completely dead and one says it has a bad cell.  

My question is: is it likely to catch fire?

I have since purchased 3x TB48 because I figured DJI wouldn't be interested - my Inspire and its batteries must be over 2 years old now.  Should I send these old batteries off for recycling?

Cheers

Rich
2017-2-16
Use props
jonathanp
lvl.4
Canada

Roastie Posted at 2017-2-16 07:08
Wow - that's surprising - I'm glad no-one was hurt!

Um.....  I have not used my Inspire 1 for about 6 months (because I have recently become a father) and I went to charge the batteries and none of them charge anymore.  None of them come on when the button is pressed.

That's brutal.  I'm going to try charging my batteries tonight.  That doesn't make sense that not using a battery for 6 months makes it a brick...
2017-2-16
Use props
RichJ53
First Officer
Flight distance : 1837356 ft
  • >>>
United States

Wow, that is very tragic to see and I am glad no one was hurt. Our batteries certainly have a lot of energy inside them and we must not forget safety while using them.

Keep us posted and all the best to your situation.  

Rich
2017-2-16
Use props
jonathanp
lvl.4
Canada

For the time being i'm going to store my battery case in an old unused OVEN in the basement.  Hopefully this will provide some protection.

GoProfessional Battery case

GoProfessional Battery case

Case in Oven

Case in Oven
2017-2-16
Use props
Emmanuel
New
Flight distance : 24350 ft
Canada

Hi I had a similar fire like your today. The battery was left on charging and suddenly erupted in flames. After Discharging the extinguisher I was able to take the battery outside and empty the fire extinguisher.

2017-4-16
Use props
Emmanuel
New
Flight distance : 24350 ft
Canada

Sorry somehow the picture is not displayed.
IMG-20170416-WA0014.jpg
IMG-20170416-WA0013.jpg
IMG-20170416-WA0015.jpg
20170416_164704.jpg
2017-4-16
Use props
Buzzyone
Second Officer
Flight distance : 4647913 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

DJI-Thor Posted at 2017-2-12 18:32
Hi, OP, please put the burnt battery in water asap, you can put it into a bucket of water and put the bucket outdoors, for example. It will form a lithium cover to protect the battery from further chemical reaction with the air.

Please send me an email via***@dji.com  with the link of this post and if possible, your phone number, and we'd like to contact you and compensate.

Also worth adding table salt to the water, I work in Lithum Battery Manufacturing and it's how we deal with split cells, water salt mix. The salt assists with the breakdown of the electrolyte. Please be aware that Hydrofloric acid is produced when the electrolyte combines with water, albeit in small quantities, which can result in chemical burns, so dispose of the water/mix with care and avoid contact with it or any fumes.
2017-4-18
Use props
DJI-Thor
Administrator
Flight distance : 13602 ft

Emmanuel Posted at 2017-4-16 20:39
Sorry somehow the picture is not displayed.

Do you have a case number? If you have not yet, find online chat on www.dji.com/support and establish a case.
2017-4-19
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules