Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
DJI Go 4 Will it ever go Open Source?
1526 5 2017-2-10
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Capt Hurls
lvl.1
Flight distance : 84675 ft
United States

So I have to ask.  I quickly found developer.dji.com, and the DJI app - pretty good; but there are a few quirks that could be fixed up with a full pull requests.

- if I choose imperial why does the RTH height make me enter in meters
- I would like to show some on screen information, but not all; and entering full screen mode doesn't quite give me anything that I want
- some features I will never want, since I have that mapped to the hardware buttons on controller; the software buttons just get in the way and introduce more clutter in the UI
- settings - wow how I wish the app supported portrait for when I opened settings, it does feel odd using part of the width in landscape

Does anyone else spot a few suggestions they would like to see fixed?

DJI would you consider opening the app up to get community involvement?  Is there a radar database to enter suggestions and/or bugs?

2017-2-10
Use props
DRONE-flies-YOU
First Officer
Flight distance : 1450594 ft
United States

Imperial also still shows metric for your speeds.  

When you take-off, it shows the RTH height in feet on the screen in green.  So that's weird that it 'knows' Imperial, but can only 'ask' in Metric.  hahaha

Fullscreen shows recording only.  I agree & get nervous about THAT MUCH decluttering of the screen.  Some telemetrics are required & could be overlaid along the top in a semi-transparent bar.  Things like flight mode, GPS count (really important), signal strengths, battery - so basically everything along the current top bar, but transparent during fullscreen.

This is like pulling teeth, though.  It'd be cool to see the simple fix for Imperial first.  That's been going on since the Phantoms.  GO has such great potential to be "WOW!"

2017-2-10
Use props
dronist
Captain
  • >>>
United States

DRONE-flies-YOU Posted at 2017-2-10 18:53
Imperial also still shows metric for your speeds.  

When you take-off, it shows the RTH height in feet on the screen in green.  So that's weird that it 'knows' Imperial, but can only 'ask' in Metric.  hahaha

Will try to keep the dream ALIVE....but for how long???
2017-2-10
Use props
devGOD
lvl.4
Flight distance : 200577 ft
United States

Just join the developer area and create your own flight app. Lazy developers always want to modify premade apps to later rename and call there own. Litchi, Autopilot all apps created with the APIs dji has available to developers.
2017-2-11
Use props
Capt Hurls
lvl.1
United States

devGOD Posted at 2017-2-11 01:24
Just join the developer area and create your own flight app. Lazy developers always want to modify premade apps to later rename and call there own. Litchi, Autopilot all apps created with the APIs dji has available to developers.

I'm not sure I agree that by someone volunteering their own time to fix an existing flagship mobile application that needs a few small improvements is laziness.
I appreciate the other suggestions.  But again I stand firm that by open sourcing the existing DJI pilot app - would only serve to improve the app itself and the DJI customers pilot experience.
While releasing source you do take the chance of copy-cats (forking) your product.  But the community will sort them out - easily distilling the good from the bad.  Hence, that is why I mentioned permitting the community to offer pull requests back to the core product.
2017-2-11
Use props
Capt Hurls
lvl.1
United States

One more reason to let the community help you DJI --

Recent comment - unsure if true:
If you fly your drone with "other" flight software - DJI may not warrant your claims in the event of a crash or mishap, as the flight recording has not taken place.

What if DJI provided a "flight recorder" SDK such that the features and UI of the application could change, but flight recording remained intact?

2017-3-18
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules