Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Flying in Atti mode
1625 10 2017-2-11
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Ale
Second Officer
Flight distance : 155059 ft
Italy

I'm currently attending a course to gain a pilot certification here down in Italy. Since l'll be asked to fly some missions with a drone in manual  mode, I've trained myself with my bird set in atti mode.
There was a bit of wind and I have to say that flying without GPS enabled is  quite challenging. Nothing to do with the stability of the bird in P mode with GPS enabled.
Anyway, with the exception of some issues with the white props, I think that the I2 is great!!
2017-2-11
Use props
Mark Guille
Captain
Flight distance : 2031818 ft
Jersey

Practising in atti mode is a must, good for you!. Have you tried landing and taking off in wind yet? That can be fun in atti mode but only have a go if you are confident enough.
Good luck with course and certification, don't forget to let us know how you get on.

Mark G.
2017-2-11
Use props
Ale
Second Officer
Italy

Yes Mark, very exciting. Especially trying to fly with the nose set perpendicularly to you. it's a little frustrating to synchronize the moments of the sticks with the bird

Alex
2017-2-12
Use props
dldp-sp
First Officer
Flight distance : 1065902 ft
  • >>>
United States

I agree 100%. Learn how to fly in Atti mode. I was flying my P3P one day and shortly after takeoff I noticed that after I let go of the sticks the aircraft was still moving. I looked at my monitor and saw the dreaded compass error. It wasn't too windy on the ground but 200 feet up was a different story. Luckily, the first little drone I had was Micro Drone and it had no other mode other then Atti, so thats how I learned to fly. It really came in handy with the P3P so i was able to bring it back safely. That was the only time it happened with the P3P. I am a little surprised that given the fact the "Compass Errors" are one of the more common problems with these UAS's, that DJI didn't put redundancy into the compass on the I2.

Regards,
Tom
2017-2-12
Use props
Coigreach
Second Officer
Flight distance : 546014 ft
Australia

Ale Posted at 2017-2-12 01:56
Yes Mark, very exciting. Especially trying to fly with the nose set perpendicularly to you. it's a little frustrating to synchronize the moments of the sticks with the bird

Alex

Hi Ale,
Just a pity that DJI omitted the flight sim in the academy tab. It was very handy to learn flying nose in with the inspire 1)
2017-2-12
Use props
Mark Guille
Captain
Jersey

dldp-sp Posted at 2017-2-12 03:26
I agree 100%. Learn how to fly in Atti mode. I was flying my P3P one day and shortly after takeoff I noticed that after I let go of the sticks the aircraft was still moving. I looked at my monitor and saw the dreaded compass error. It wasn't too windy on the ground but 200 feet up was a different story. Luckily, the first little drone I had was Micro Drone and it had no other mode other then Atti, so thats how I learned to fly. It really came in handy with the P3P so i was able to bring it back safely. That was the only time it happened with the P3P. I am a little surprised that given the fact the "Compass Errors" are one of the more common problems with these UAS's, that DJI didn't put redundancy into the compass on the I2.

Regards,

Hi Tom,

When you had the compass error, did you calibrate before the flight?

Mark G.
2017-2-12
Use props
Ale
Second Officer
Italy

Coigreach Posted at 2017-2-12 09:50
Hi Ale,
Just a pity that DJI omitted the flight sim in the academy tab. It was very handy to learn flying nose in with the inspire 1) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wnH5eOsygNs

Yeah, I'm with you. Great video..
2017-2-12
Use props
dldp-sp
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

Mark Guille Posted at 2017-2-12 10:33
Hi Tom,

When you had the compass error, did you calibrate before the flight?

Mark,

No I did not but, I fly from that location all the time. That was the first and only time (fingers crossed) that happened.

Tom,
2017-2-13
Use props
Mark Guille
Captain
Jersey

dldp-sp Posted at 2017-2-13 00:23
Mark,

No I did not but, I fly from that location all the time. That was the first and only time (fingers crossed) that happened.

Hi Tom,

The reason I ask is a lot of people are calibrating their compass before every flight which introduces the risk of getting a bad calibration. I thought that may be what happened.

Mark G.
2017-2-13
Use props
dldp-sp
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

Mark Guille Posted at 2017-2-13 01:05
Hi Tom,

The reason I ask is a lot of people are calibrating their compass before every flight which introduces the risk of getting a bad calibration. I thought that may be what happened.

I know there are people out there that calibrate the compass for every flight. According to DJI, you should only calibrate if the app tells you to do so. I will, however, calibrate if in a new area but, even then it may not really be necessary.

Regards,
Tom
2017-2-13
Use props
Spihlman
lvl.1
Flight distance : 1080558 ft
Finland

You definitely should know how to fly without GPS! I think it is essential for safe operating your RPA. It's very easy to forget your atmosphere, when GPS and autopilot takes care of the rest. I have saved quite valuable setups (DIY) with this skill at least 3 times already, so I suggest you should learn it too!
2017-2-13
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules