Inspire 1 firmware issue
2573 21 2017-2-12
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
fans8a5958b7
lvl.1

United States

So It has been quite some time since I have flown my Inspire 1, and even longer since I updated the firmware.  Tonight I figured I would get everything up to date.  I beleive I was running WM610_FW_V01.03.00.00.  At least that is what the log said was the last successful result.
I downloaded the most recent versioin WM610_FW_V01.10.01.40.  put it on my sd card and it started updating.  dddd dddd.  It did this for maybe 10 min, and then I got the long single d of firmware failed.

The Go app says I have the latest firmware on both the bird and camera (WM610_FW_V01.10.01.40).  However I am not so sure, since the log said fail.  I am also not getting camera signal.  Probably because it didnt actouly take.  

My question.  Do I need do upgrade in some sort of progression?  Should I have updated to say 1.4 first?  If so, how do I know what that progression is and where can I find those archived files?

Hopfully I did not screw something up beyond repair.

Thanks.

2017-2-12
Use props
Westland
lvl.1
United States

There are many issues surrounding this upgrade; some have been fortunate, others, including me, have not. After purchasing two Inspire 1 drones that were working perfectly, I decided to upgrade one of them. That was the beginning of an internet-wide search for the root cause(s). My only solution was to purchase a brand-new X3, as the 1.10.01.40 firmware "bricked it" to put it kindly. Many theories on why this all happened, but I did follow the exact steps in order to complete the upgrade (aircraft first, controller second). I hope you get some type of response from DJI, as I have not seen anything positive coming from them on this issue. Needless to say, I will not be doing anymore "upgrades" to either drone from this point on.
2017-2-12
Use props
Donnie Stugots
First Officer
Flight distance : 3636782 ft
United States

If you updated the aircraft and it says in the go app that you have version 1.10 then you are updated , are you sure you read the file on the SD card correctly ?  Now did you also update the RC to version 1.7 ?  I sure hope you did the AC update first Then the RC.  You do NOT have to go in order , you can jump from 1.3 to 1.10 NO PROBLEM.

If you DID not update the RC then that would be why you are having issues ?   If you DID update the RC can you start the Motors ?  

I hope you DID NOT  have the RC on when you updated the Aircraft via the SD card, this can corrupt the Video Module .

Here is my tips page , it may help shed some light on what happened.
Tips for loading NEW firmware to SD card and transmitter

Let Us Know

donnie

2017-2-13
Use props
Donnie Stugots
First Officer
United States

Westland Posted at 2017-2-12 23:31
There are many issues surrounding this upgrade; some have been fortunate, others, including me, have not. After purchasing two Inspire 1 drones that were working perfectly, I decided to upgrade one of them. That was the beginning of an internet-wide search for the root cause(s). My only solution was to purchase a brand-new X3, as the 1.10.01.40 firmware "bricked it" to put it kindly. Many theories on why this all happened, but I did follow the exact steps in order to complete the upgrade (aircraft first, controller second). I hope you get some type of response from DJI, as I have not seen anything positive coming from them on this issue. Needless to say, I will not be doing anymore "upgrades" to either drone from this point on.

I gave a response on your Post .  You can send that X3 in for a reprogram as that all it more than likely needs, If Out of warranty I hear it is about 75 dollars.

donnie
2017-2-13
Use props
fans8a5958b7
lvl.1

United States

Donnie Stugots Posted at 2017-2-13 06:44
If you updated the aircraft and it says in the go app that you have version 1.10 then you are updated , are you sure you read the file on the SD card correctly ?  Now did you also update the RC to version 1.7 ?  I sure hope you did the AC update first Then the RC.  You do NOT have to go in order , you can jump from 1.3 to 1.10 NO PROBLEM.

If you DID not update the RC then that would be why you are having issues ?   If you DID update the RC can you start the Motors ?  

Thank you for taking the time to look at my issue.

I did do it in order.  I researched the possess again before attempting the update since it had been so long since the last time I had done it.

I made sure to do the AC first with the RC off.   I only updated the RC after.  I am 100% sure that both the AC and camera say 1.10 and the RC 1.7.

I am able to spin up the motors.  So there is an RC link.  I can even control the camera position.  The camera histogram will also change as i do this.  So it seems to be getting info.  However I am seeing no live image and am getting a image link error.

Sorry I do not remember the exact error as I am not next to the Inspire atm.
2017-2-13
Use props
fans8a5958b7
lvl.1

United States

Westland Posted at 2017-2-12 23:31

I sure hope I dont have to buy a new camera or send it in.  It doesnt appear to be bricked.  It moves and the histogram shows changes.  However I just dont get a live image.
2017-2-13
Use props
Mark Guille
Second Officer
Flight distance : 2031818 ft
Jersey

fans8a5958b7 Posted at 2017-2-13 11:39
I sure hope I dont have to buy a new camera or send it in.  It doesnt appear to be bricked.  It moves and the histogram shows changes.  However I just dont get a live image.

If everything is up to date, you may have to just re-link the controller, here is a handy video if you're unsure how.

Hope this helps

Mark G.
2017-2-13
Use props
fans8a5958b7
lvl.1

United States

Mark Guille Posted at 2017-2-13 11:48
If everything is up to date, you may have to just re-link the controller, here is a handy video if you're unsure how. How to link your controller

Hope this helps

You think so?  Even though the RC seems to bet talking to the AC.  It looks like everything works just not the live video.   I am sure I could fly it line of site as it sits now.

At this point I am willing to try anything.

I do have a ticket into DJI.  No response yet though.
2017-2-13
Use props
Mark Guille
Second Officer
Flight distance : 2031818 ft
Jersey

fans8a5958b7 Posted at 2017-2-13 12:04
You think so?  Even though the RC seems to bet talking to the AC.  It looks like everything works just not the live video.   I am sure I could fly it line of site as it sits now.

At this point I am willing to try anything.

You could also try resetting the controller. Press the C1 + C2 + Trigger (photo) buttons and keep them pressed and TURN OFF the controller.
By still keeping pressed the C1 + C2 + Trigger (photo) buttons TURN ON the controller.

Mark G.
2017-2-13
Use props
fans8a5958b7
lvl.1

United States

Mark Guille Posted at 2017-2-13 12:17
You could also try resetting the controller. Press the C1 + C2 + Trigger (photo) buttons and keep them pressed and TURN OFF the controller.
By still keeping pressed the C1 + C2 + Trigger (photo) buttons TURN ON the controller.

Thank you helping me.  I will give that a shot when I get home tonight.  Sure would be great if that fixes it.
2017-2-13
Use props
Donnie Stugots
First Officer
United States

fans8a5958b7 Posted at 2017-2-13 12:23
Thank you helping me.  I will give that a shot when I get home tonight.  Sure would be great if that fixes it.

IF You have no video and everything is up to date ( Or at least compatible )  then what you want to do is look at the hidden file . If lines 0800 and 1500 say "device not detected" the camera must go in for service , Usually if out of warranty about 75 US dollars.
Hers is a link to this exact issue that I help with at least once a week

http://forum.dji.com/forum.php?m ... =1&extra=#pid653579

link below is how to view hidden file from the SD card that you updated with :

How to View Hidden Files: Tool to  diagnose No signal and SD  Issues

I can almost assure you that the problem is the camera and must go in for service , this can happen if the RC is ON when updating the aircraft, was yours ON by any chance ?  You are linked because the system starts  the motors, but you could try to clear the pre-sets , I have NEVER seen this fix it but it is worth a shot .  
also DJI says to rollback and re -install the Firmware but I have NEVER   seen this work either.
***Just make sure you are current with the system on the "About " tab, If so and you have the "Device Not Detected "on lines 0800 and 1500I can assure you the camera video module is more than likely just corrupted , sometimes it is broke but this would be rare.  

The Histogram is on the RC channel and not th HD Image Transmission signal , this throws off many members as well.  

donnie

2017-2-13
Use props
fans8a5958b7
lvl.1

United States

Donnie Stugots Posted at 2017-2-13 13:00
IF You have no video and everything is up to date ( Or at least compatible )  then what you want to do is look at the hidden file . If lines 0800 and 1500 say "device not detected" the camera must go in for service , Usually if out of warranty about 75 US dollars.
Hers is a link to this exact issue that I help with at least once a week

I will take a look at the hidden file when I get home.

No I made sure the RC was off when I did the update.  I read that you Must do that as well as make sure you format the SD card trough the app before putting the bin file on.

I feel like I did everything correctly.  It just didnt turn out good.

I did try to roll back the version.  I tried 1.9 and even tried to go all the way back to 1.3 even though the docs said you could only roll back 1.10 to 1.9.  When trying to flash 1.9 or any other version, it fails withing about 15 sec.
2017-2-13
Use props
Donnie Stugots
First Officer
United States

fans8a5958b7 Posted at 2017-2-13 13:17
I will take a look at the hidden file when I get home.

No I made sure the RC was off when I did the update.  I read that you Must do that as well as make sure you format the SD card trough the app before putting the bin file on.

You can only rollback 1 version in order on the AC  .  Let me know but I have seen this 20 times at least.

donnie
2017-2-13
Use props
fans8a5958b7
lvl.1

United States

Donnie Stugots Posted at 2017-2-13 13:29
You can only rollback 1 version in order on the AC  .  Let me know but I have seen this 20 times at least.

donnie

Well here is what I see in the hidden log

[00020248][08 00][00] device not detected.
[00033297][15 00][00] device not detected.
2017-2-13
Use props
Donnie Stugots
First Officer
United States

fans8a5958b7 Posted at 2017-2-13 18:24
Well here is what I see in the hidden log

[00020248][08 00][00] device not detected.

So as I said on an earlier post to you , if you are on compatible firmware and /or  up to date on your entire system and you have this "DND" on lines 0800 and 1500 just plan on sending that camera in for service .  I would  explain to DJI what the symptoms are and that you have narrowed down to the camera.  They may want the whole thing but in  my experience that is a waste of shipping , but if it make you feel better send the whole thing in .

Sorry  to tell you this , but it sometimes just happens .  If you did not have the RC on when updating the Aircraft it may be just a glitch that sometimes happens.  The culprit I have found is usually the RC On when updating  AC

Good Luck

donnie
2017-2-14
Use props
fans8a5958b7
lvl.1

United States

Donnie Stugots Posted at 2017-2-14 04:42
So as I said on an earlier post to you , if you are on compatible firmware and /or  up to date on your entire system and you have this "DND" on lines 0800 and 1500 just plan on sending that camera in for service .  I would  explain to DJI what the symptoms are and that you have narrowed down to the camera.  They may want the whole thing but in  my experience that is a waste of shipping , but if it make you feel better send the whole thing in .

Sorry  to tell you this , but it sometimes just happens .  If you did not have the RC on when updating the Aircraft it may be just a glitch that sometimes happens.  The culprit I have found is usually the RC On when updating  AC

Thanks Donnie,
I have reached out to DJI a couple days ago.  Still no response.  Guess I will try again
2017-2-14
Use props
Donnie Stugots
First Officer
United States

fans8a5958b7 Posted at 2017-2-14 10:00
Thanks Donnie,
I have reached out to DJI a couple days ago.  Still no response.  Guess I will try again

I would just get a RMA number and start the process, when I had a question for DJI via e mail they took 3 frickin  weeks to get back to me ......terrible

If you had it more than a year  then I would send it To  DJI North America  repair center , their turn around times are pretty quick.

Good Luck

donnie
2017-2-14
Use props
fans8a5958b7
lvl.1

United States

Donnie Stugots Posted at 2017-2-14 13:38
I would just get a RMA number and start the process, when I had a question for DJI via e mail they took 3 frickin  weeks to get back to me ......terrible

If you had it more than a year  then I would send it To  DJI North America  repair center , their turn around times are pretty quick.

Awesome.  I had no idea they had a North America repair center.  That makes me feel a lot better about down time.
2017-2-14
Use props
DJI-Jamie
DJI team
Flight distance : 112405 ft
United States

fans8a5958b7 Posted at 2017-2-14 10:00
Thanks Donnie,

Do you happen to have a ticket number for this correspondence so I can follow up? In addition, are you able to provide any screenshots of what you're experiencing?
2017-2-15
Use props
TruGreen
Second Officer
Flight distance : 621909 ft
  • >>>
United States

not sure if you tried already but i recently updated my bird and remote to the lastest firmware. i use a seperate smaller SD card for updates. went to fly with my regular 16gb card that came with the inspire after turning everything on i had no image, everything functioned though. i went and removed the SD from the camera with everything still turned on and bam image comes through on the app. put card back in and it said SD card error...

not sure but worth a shot to see
2017-2-17
Use props
muvii
New
Canada

Unfortunately, I ran into the same issue. I've contacted support and there is a service centre in North America. However, I bought my drone from a dealer off Kijiji (still new in packing and all). My question is, would it still be covered or will I have to pay for the camera repair?

Thanks!
2017-4-5
Use props
DJI-Jamie
DJI team
Flight distance : 112405 ft
United States

muvii Posted at 2017-4-5 15:42
Unfortunately, I ran into the same issue. I've contacted support and there is a service centre in North America. However, I bought my drone from a dealer off Kijiji (still new in packing and all). My question is, would it still be covered or will I have to pay for the camera repair?

Thanks!

If you just got it and you haven't crashed it, you might be able to return it to them. Based on what you mentioned time wise, warranty shouldn't be an issue. Should for any reason it's not covered under warranty after evaluation, the Repair team would let you know before performing any repairs.
2017-4-5
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules