Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Things I would like to add to the M series drone
2131 31 2017-2-13
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
ricci2
Captain
Flight distance : 61158 ft
  • >>>
France

I thought I would start a thread where we could just talk to DJI and let them know what we would like on the M600 now and in the future.
This thread is for being positive, encouraging and showing DJI we care about our craft to make it better with their resources.
They will be aware of the things that need fixing so make this a thread of things to improve real-time from pilots on the sharp end.

Note to DJI, these ideas are from people who are honest enough to share with you for free to grow a sweeter future!!!

One idea that I would like to see is a way to attach the controller temporary to the M series so when your in the field you can carry the m, the controller with iPad phone, tablet safely from and too the takeoff point. The M600 is a bulky beast with batteries and the controller is not an ergonomic shape for carrying.

Any others in the sprit of giving to a better product??

ricci
2017-2-13
Use props
ricci2
Captain
  • >>>
France

NO, not sponsored, just fed-up with being taken for a fool by poor communication and uninformed isolated conglomerates, WE are in a global economy so We should learn to talk please.

?
2017-2-13
Use props
P.R
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1135738 ft
Italy

Guidance please and F Ports...
Better trasnpotability, making it fold down smaller without taking off parts for example.
Better locking mechanism for the Airframe arms. Those red locking parts on the top are not very trustworthy, but they still work fine, could be improved tough.
And more useful information for professionals, Specs in more detail.
Implementing a Support dedicated to professionals, that only deal with professional/industrial products, highly informed and capable people responding to E-Mail and Phone.

Very Important: Service Bulletins, and I think that Aviation Authorities should force companies to do so, and I don't think it will take long untill they require it, but DJI should impleent this before it becomes a regulation, as this is very helpful for Pilots, DJI sits on a ton of Information and they should share some of it with their customers.
For Example, if DJI sees several units with the same faulty screw, thy should comunicate to their customers to keep an eye on that screw, or suggest to replace it.

Overall behaving more like aviation  companies, as regulations get stricter every day this is a necessity even for DJI, if they don't want to loose market share, as other companies are far ahead in this segment.
2017-2-13
Use props
lt
lvl.4
Flight distance : 2516778 ft
South Africa

P.R Posted at 2017-2-13 08:31
Guidance please  and F Ports...
Better trasnpotability, making it fold down smaller without taking off parts for example.
Better locking mechanism for the Airframe arms. Those red locking parts on the top are not very trustworthy, but they still work fine, could be improved tough.

Cannot agree more with the Service bulletins!!
Full specifications
Torque settings of crucial screws
2017-2-13
Use props
ricci2
Captain
  • >>>
France

hello,

Dji maybe a tropical top plate in a silver or white as the M600 gets very warm in the sun even in Europe. You could even charge for it and people would pay money not just say thank you!!.
Thermal rejection paint sounds great and would do a great job of reducing the internal temperatures, feel free to contact if you would like  contact source info as it can reject around 25% of the solar gain , I helped design it for a  Nasa project, sorry, ego plug, it really works.

Ricci.
2017-2-13
Use props
shawn_
lvl.4
Flight distance : 256791 ft
United States

External temperature sensor that reports real time to DJI GO.
2017-2-13
Use props
shawn_
lvl.4
United States

Exactly. I echo everything said above.
2017-2-13
Use props
ricci2
Captain
  • >>>
France

shawn_ Posted at 2017-2-13 13:22
External temperature sensor that reports real time to DJI GO.

I think that is a brill idea, I run a remote weather station and thermal info is key....
2017-2-13
Use props
Hawk62_Engineer
New

South Africa

Move the LB2, externally so it doesnt heat up battery 5 and 6
2017-2-14
Use props
shawn_
lvl.4
United States

Hawk62_Engineer Posted at 2017-2-14 22:47
Move the LB2, externally so it doesnt heat up battery 5 and 6

Interesting, I hadn't thought of this. Have you seen any decrease in battery life or performance from these 2 batteries?
2017-2-15
Use props
ricci2
Captain
  • >>>
France

I have been working on a range finder but I can only get good results for 1 mile. I would like an integrated system.

ricci
2017-2-16
Use props
ricci2
Captain
  • >>>
France

I would like the switches on a second dji controller to action the f-port so you don't have to buy the add 0n 8 switch unit.
2017-2-18
Use props
sosrt
lvl.1
Flight distance : 1381827 ft

United States

All manufacturers  will have to do airworthiness  directives on there aircraft to commercial  use aircraft in the  future  no money  yet for FAA  to implement. Airspace  needs to get  the app  system. pilot's  are on there own.
2017-2-19
Use props
SkySight Aerial
Second Officer
Flight distance : 3312018 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

ricci2 Posted at 2017-2-18 18:54
I would like the switches on a second dji controller to action the f-port so you don't have to buy the add 0n 8 switch unit.

This is a brilliant idea!!
Slave can then control equipment whilst Master flys the aircraft.
2017-2-19
Use props
ricci2
Captain
  • >>>
France

Have another, a mains backed power battery replacement to run the M600 via assistant 2 without running the batteries down. Similar to the osmo desk power adaptor.

ricci
2017-2-24
Use props
3x3q
lvl.3
Flight distance : 815666 ft
United States

Basically everything you said.

I think my biggest issue is no clear communication about anything software development related. These forums have a solid wall between them and the people who do the coding.
2017-2-24
Use props
skyvideoct
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1136230 ft
United States

Additional "Wish List" Items for the 600 series

A couple of additions:
  • I noticed that the NEW 200 series has an ADS-B module.Make that available ASAP for those of us with Exemptions/Waivers that fly in Class B airspace.
  • The ability to control a second camera gimbal pitch by using the "HOLD C2" and use Gimbal wheel method as available in the Inspire 2 firmware.
  • Since the NEW 200 series will have the ability to use the X4s & X5s, it is obvious that this option should extend to the M600 series!

2017-2-27
Use props
ricci2
Captain
  • >>>
France

Hi, I think you have just highlighted the new M600 supper Pro, As if DJI need an excuse to create another pro craft!!!!!  I hope the bits are retro fit.
2017-2-27
Use props
ricci2
Captain
  • >>>
France

skyvideoct Posted at 2017-2-27 07:23
A couple of additions:
1)   I noticed that the NEW 200 series has an ADS-B module. Make that available ASAP for those of us with Exemptions/Waivers that fly in Class B airspace.2)   The ability to control a second camera gimbal pitch by using the "HOLD C2" and use Gimbal wheel method as available in the Inspire 2 firmware.
3)   Since the NEW 200 series will have the ability to use the X4s & X5s, it is obvious that this option should extend to the M600 series!

Hi Skyvideoct,Great input. This might sound odd but I think the type of user that fly's the heavy lift M600 series and the "s" series have a more dedicated view on the work the craft can do and with that comes a professionalism, not saying others are not professional  however with a RED slung under a giant fan a more precise way of flying is needed, so I don't see the need for more strain on the central processor to use avoidance systems, its just another thing to go wrong in some respects.  Any pilot undertaking an inspection or filming task will plan the routes, and survey the area before the flight so minimising as much risk as possible or am I the only over cautious pedantic  pilot here?If the collision avoidance is a standalone unit that lets the A3 do just the flying, the best of all worlds could be had. Reading the specs of the S200 I do like some of the software developments now, they can improve and add to the M600 arsenal of achievements making filming easer from my point of view.
An old boss kept saying this "K.I.S.S."   "Keep it simple stupid"  and despite me being a techie he is on the money much to my annoyance ...

ricci

2017-2-27
Use props
skyvideoct
Second Officer
United States

ricci2 Posted at 2017-2-27 17:04
Hi Skyvideoct,Great input. This might sound odd but I think the type of user that fly's the heavy lift M600 series and the "s" series have a more dedicated view on the work the craft can do and with that comes a professionalism, not saying others are not professional  however with a RED slung under a giant fan a more precise way of flying is needed, so I don't see the need for more strain on the central processor to use avoidance systems, its just another thing to go wrong in some respects.  Any pilot undertaking an inspection or filming task will plan the routes, and survey the area before the flight so minimising as much risk as possible or am I the only over cautious pedantic  pilot here?If the collision avoidance is a standalone unit that lets the A3 do just the flying, the best of all worlds could be had. Reading the specs of the S200 I do like some of the software developments now, they can improve and add to the M600 arsenal of achievements making filming easer from my point of view.
An old boss kept saying this "K.I.S.S."   "Keep it simple stupid"  and despite me being a techie he is on the money much to my annoyance ...

I too believe in KISS. However, I do want to leverage technology to allow me to fly safely and extend my ability to cover larger areas. NYC is blanketed in class B airspace. I am not a "Casey Type" and have clients with real needs of aerial data. I am upgrading several elements in my M600P to handle as much as I can  to deliver professional results. The true entry ticket in class B airspace is "sense and avoid" via ADS-B.
If so equiped,  I am just another aircraft performing a commercial duty within the complex airspace. There is NO doubt in my mind that if ADS-B is part of the equation in a Part 107 Waiver request, it will increase the chances of  approval of a blanket waiver.
2017-2-28
Use props
ricci2
Captain
  • >>>
France

Just recently I had acquired a contract to take weather data using the M600 as a platform, when I excepted this work the brief was to fly at 1000m for as long as possible. In the early days of the go app I managed to ascend to this altitude, and much higher. I should add I was on a military site with full permission, now when the spec changed to 2000m I thought it might be at the envelope of the crafts lift abilities given the lack of air density, but I had exceeded this hight so agreed to the flight. Come the big day the craft was loaded with sensors and data logging, then Take-off! @250m the app said max limit, then realised the app will only let you fly to 500m and I flew to this hight but the data was not as per the spec so I had to withdraw from the contract. I asked DJI if they would remove the ceiling but they said no not possible. I asked the autopilot software chaps if they could remove the restriction but they said no, its set by DJI and it's not possible.
My request is the ability to have an opt out  for altitude as you can for restricted airspace. This contract was worth over 1.2million over two years and by the time I found another craft suitable somebody had taken the business. DJI I have permissions and accreditation from the CAA to fly in restricted airspace although this was not on any flight path even for light aircraft as it was military property so how about you stop making the rules without ways to adapt them to the professional need of your clients please. Most countries have limits of around 120m/400ft so why 500m, it's an arbitrary number so it might as well be 10,000m, I see your ceileng and I chalenge you to justify it please..
ricci
2017-2-28
Use props
3x3q
lvl.3
United States

ricci2 Posted at 2017-2-28 18:04
Just recently I had acquired a contract to take weather data using the M600 as a platform, when I excepted this work the brief was to fly at 1000m for as long as possible. In the early days of the go app I managed to ascend to this altitude, and much higher. I should add I was on a military site with full permission, now when the spec changed to 2000m I thought it might be at the envelope of the crafts lift abilities given the lack of air density, but I had exceeded this hight so agreed to the flight. Come the big day the craft was loaded with sensors and data logging, then Take-off! @250m the app said max limit, then realised the app will only let you fly to 500m and I flew to this hight but the data was not as per the spec so I had to withdraw from the contract. I asked DJI if they would remove the ceiling but they said no not possible. I asked the autopilot software chaps if they could remove the restriction but they said no, its set by DJI and it's not possible.
My request is the ability to have an opt out  for altitude as you can for restricted airspace. This contract was worth over 1.2million over two years and by the time I found another craft suitable somebody had taken the business. DJI I have permissions and accreditation from the CAA to fly in restricted airspace although this was not on any flight path even for light aircraft as it was military property so how about you stop making the rules without ways to adapt them to the professional need of your clients please. Most countries have limits of around 120m/400ft so why 500m, it's an arbitrary number so it might as well be 10,000m, I see your ceileng and I chalenge you to justify it please..
ricci

I also was offered a contract for high-altitude photography, around 1,500m. Well within the technical flight limits of the M600. Because of the arbitrary flight ceiling, and no way to get around it, I had to do the job from a helicopter, which is expensive and I still didn't get the angles I wanted.

It's ridiculous to have to resort to "traditional" aircraft when I have a more-than-capable hexcopter to do the job better. Please allow professionals to opt out of, or redefine, the arbitrary flight ceiling.
2017-2-28
Use props
3x3q
lvl.3
United States

I also request a better damping system for Matrice payloads, including the Ronin MX.

As an example:
2017-2-28
Use props
Sestaceans
Second Officer
Flight distance : 3963865 ft
  • >>>
United States

3x3q Posted at 2017-2-28 18:34
I also request a better damping system for Matrice payloads, including the Ronin MX.

As an example:

Agreed,  the M600 with RoninMX was a very poor design as it pertains to the dampening system.  I still can't believe DJI hasn't even said a thing about any of this stuff.   I think the release of the M600 Pro was the biggest kick in the pants I've seen as a customer of DJI or really any company (as a buyer of the M600 standard).  So frustrating.  
2017-3-1
Use props
ricci2
Captain
  • >>>
France

Today I flew in gps unassisted mode for a full 39 mins to keep my hand in with the manual way to fly but before I flew I found my self going back and forth with things I forgot to bring to the launch area and the last one was an SD card. so my wish is a storage facility for a  few sd cards on the craft, simple I know but because I have to remove the sd card to download I sometimes forget to take it with me.
Inbuilt storage for SD card please.

ricci
2017-3-1
Use props
fans0f072e32
lvl.1
Flight distance : 85850 ft
  • >>>
United States

Great thread.. I fly a Freefly Alta / Movi Pro and an Inspire 2, but would jump on the Matrice line if it offered something like the integrated Inspire 2 experience in a Red-carrying heavy lifter.  I'd love to see a Matrice that could easily lift a Ronin 2 with a build-up Red, DJI GO 4 control of the Red settings and EF focus/iris via internal motors (like RT Motion and Freefly do).  SDI input on the drone's lightbridge, power for the gimbal/camera (Ronin 2 looks to have SDI and power via slip ring) and some sort of Cendence-style radio.  Too much to ask?  
2017-5-30
Use props
mattbeardsley
lvl.1
  • >>>
United States

Good question about whether or not a pro platform for film production benefits from collision avoidance.  I would say "no" based on my experience with Mavic, where it feels like a constant interference for an experienced pilot.  It's probably smart to have it be a little heavy-handed for the inexperienced pilot, but I want full control over landing and don't want to have the sticks lock out when it gets close to something (which happens a lot while filming).

It feels less heavy-handed in its tuning on my Inspire 2 though, and has been handy at times.  I think any new drone moving forward needs collision avoidance to be as safe as possible and pro platforms designed for experienced operators need the ability to very easily override it (dedicated override control on the radio perhaps)  A future Matrice with all of Inspire 2's tricks for positioning, smart return home, collision avoidance, etc. would be awesome for the work we do, especially if it can be easily reverted to manual control when appropriate.  I think we'd get good use out of Spotlight Pro if it could be integrated with 3rd party cameras and Ronin and some of the consumer drone tricks DJI has been perfecting.. but full manual control always needs to be a touch away, IMHO.
2017-5-30
Use props
mattbeardsley
lvl.1
  • >>>
United States

..and FPV, I'd love to see FPV integrated as a P-in-P as on Inspire 2, not just as an alternate input for the primary video feed in the app.  
2017-5-31
Use props
Beard
lvl.1
Flight distance : 28871 ft

United States

All very good responses. Impressive! A little background first...my department was tasked with utilizing absorption spectroscopy and "drone" technology to detect fugitive methane emissions at company processing facilities and pipelines. We do use it for some simplistic photogrammetry missions. After researching for 4 months I finally selected the M600 as the platform to carry the spectrometer and associated components due to its payload capacity, endurance, and price. We have had the system in operation for 3 months and it is no doubt an impressive machine but the following is summary of the items that should be improved before I will buy another one. I will definitely overpay for a Microdrone, Steadidrone, or other, for our next platform(s) if these things are not addressed. Some of these items overlap with what has been mentioned above while others may not involve the M600 but rather the mobile software.  This platform is okay at best but has the potential to be the best.

1)  Bugs, Bugs, Bugs-Good grief! I cannot quantify how many times we have had software issues, premature maintenance warnings, connectivity issues, firmware issues, etc. So many that I gave up speaking to Support and now just find "work-arounds". This system needs to be reliable and capable of being placed into operation quickly everyday. This is after all marketed as a "Pro" or commercial system.
2) Carrying Case- This is a bulky machine so I'm not going to make the recommendation to decrease the size of the case as that is impossible. However, the fit needs to be improved. We feel like we are damaging something on the system every time we take it in and out.
3) Data Port and Cable-Provide a longer cable upon purchase and relocate the port to somewhere more accessible.
4) Software-This is a biggie. DJI Go is fine for what it is intended do. DJI really should consider dedicating an exponentially larger amount of resources into GS Pro. They have the potential to corner the market and are not seizing this opportunity. A) GS Pro should be focused on autonomous flight primarily, photogrammetry secondarily, with the two integrated seamlessly B) I advise integrating the use of a digital elevation model or allowing the user to import one so that the aircraft can autonomously follow a flight path that can stay at the same altitude AGL not altitude above home point.  Currently this is not possible in GS Pro. We have manipulated it by precalculating altitudes but obviously a negative altitude is not possible nor is anything above 500 m....from home point. We work in mountainous terrain and this is currently not a good solution. Also, GS Pro should be associated with your DJI account and/or allow for transfer of preplanned missions to other mobile devices/an account/exported and imported. It stinks to spend hours meticulously planning flight plans and not be able to ensure that it will always be stored and available for future missions. GS Pro should allow for the import of flight plans created in other softwares in shapefile or KML file formats. Third party alternatives to GS Pro provide minor advantages but they suffer from the some of, or all,  the same limitations.
5) Customer Service-The primary issues we have with DJI customer service is expertise and language barriers. I find that 9 times out of 10 this forum understands the M600x systems a multitude times better than the people that have to deal with the issues over the phone or through email.
6) Yes, I agree with above. ADS-B Out and In (or another sense and avoid technology), will likely become very important in the coming years especially if one requires FAA 107 waivers to airspace and or BVLOS.  

We have a fixed-wing system for photogrammetry and  this company has zero issues associated with 1-5 and are heavily involved in R&D for item 6. It is beyond me that a company of DJI's stature is so behind the game. DJI-don't settle for complacency because it you can be passed in the blink of an eye. There are several companies that out there targeting these weaknesses and will corner the commercial market. If you, however, are happy with just catering to the recreational market then you are headed down the correct path.
2017-6-6
Use props
skyvideoct
Second Officer
United States

Once again, good discussion. I've been successful in adding the FPV w/ thermal by installing a FLIR Duo-R and switching using the app between primary camera and HDMI feed from the Duo-R. The net result is three active cameras which works for me.
About the other elements of the thread:
I've finally decided to go with a Gremsy Gimbal for the primary camera.
Positive results reported on the "realtech" thread and take one element away from the DJI "firmware crapshoot".
The M600P has the capability to be an awesome machine if unleashed from neglect in the "support" department.
2017-6-6
Use props
Beard
lvl.1
Flight distance : 28871 ft

United States

Yep...one thing I forgot to mention that really irritates me about item #4 in my post above: the 99 waypoint maximum limitation in GS Pro! This is pathetic. DJI-increase this ASAP!
2017-6-7
Use props
fansc9f507c3
lvl.1
Flight distance : 3438 ft
South Africa

ricci2 Posted at 2017-2-28 18:04
ricci

i had the same thing i wanted to fly up a long hill, 30m above ground, but the hill was more than 500m high and i couldnt get to the top even though i was just above ground. do you think if you put the aircraft in a big  plastic bag and used a vacuum cleaner to suck the air out to fool the drone that it's  starting at a high altitude then turn the drone on it will use that as its starting altitude. then while still on, take it out the bag and fly?
2017-9-30
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules