5720 64 2017-2-14
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Mir
lvl.4
Flight distance : 2718491 ft
  • >>>
United States

Since we're now forced to use DJI Go 4, I'm wondering if you guys over at DJI are aware of all the crashing issues using Go4? In the Google Play store the app is rated 2.8 stars with practically everyone complaining of the app crashing during flight.

I had zero problems with the previous DJI Go App... now I'm forced to use this one which is forcing me to ground my mavic indefinitely. This morning the app crashed 3 times during flight, during one app crash it became a hairy situation as I was navigating around trees.

I guess it just stumps me that DJI can make such an amazing piece of technology, the aircraft and systems itself.. but the app is, no offense, complete utter garbage.
2017-2-14
Use props
dronist
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

Swtich to IOS, you would save the planet (less trash from Andriod apps) and you can fly another day...
2017-2-14
Use props
DroneFlying
Second Officer
Flight distance : 10774613 ft
United States

dronist Posted at 2017-2-14 09:19
Swtich to IOS, you would save the planet (less trash from Andriod apps) and you can fly another day...

I guess he feels that he should be able to use his existing Android device that's supposed to work instead of spending hundreds of dollars on a different device he shouldn't need.
2017-2-14
Use props
Mir
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

Apple is nice, I was once an Apple fan. Owned the original iphone, iphone 3g, iphone 3gs, iphone 4, iphone 4s, ipad 1, ipad 2 and ipad 3. However, I moved on to android and haven't looked back, it fits my needs better.
But.. I don't want to turn this into apple vs. android, like the reply above mentioned.. it should work *as advertised* on my android devices.
2017-2-14
Use props
fans90d4f438
lvl.3
Flight distance : 451335 ft
United States

DJI's software (even with Phantom years ago) always proves to work smoother, better, much less hassle..with IOS vs Android.
I dont see that changing anytime soon.

so options are: stick with Android and Complain and whine.

Or get a used Ipad mini 2 and be happy.  

Best indicator of future behavior is past behavior. And based on DJI's history of their software not working as well with Android as IOS...well....
2017-2-14
Use props
Mir
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

So it works best on iOS.. sure that's fair... under the following circumstances:

- DJI should remove any mention of their hardware being "Compatible with Android", because clearly it's not, and this is false advertising.
- Revise their "Compatible Hardware" because it's laughable in its current form. People spend hundreds of dollars on a device just to discover it doesn't properly work with DJI Go 4.

2017-2-14
Use props
fans90d4f438
lvl.3
Flight distance : 451335 ft
United States

It works fine on many android devices...but not 100% of all android devices.
Much easier to code for IOS. Only one manufacturer for IOS devices.  Consistency.

for android? any number of manufacturers...
2017-2-14
Use props
dronist
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

DroneFlying Posted at 2017-2-14 09:44
I guess he feels that he should be able to use his existing Android device that's supposed to work instead of spending hundreds of dollars on a different device he shouldn't need.

I am with you... It should work but as you know, it is NOT, the reality is, do I want to fly or NOT?

No intention of me siding with IOS or Andy, I use both for different purposes but life is short and I want to fly so I use the best system that will allow me to do so.
2017-2-14
Use props
dronist
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

Mir Posted at 2017-2-14 09:57
Apple is nice, I was once an Apple fan. Owned the original iphone, iphone 3g, iphone 3gs, iphone 4, iphone 4s, ipad 1, ipad 2 and ipad 3. However, I moved on to android and haven't looked back, it fits my needs better.
But.. I don't want to turn this into apple vs. android, like the reply above mentioned.. it should work *as advertised* on my android devices.

I am with you... It should work but as you know, it is NOT, the reality is, do I want to fly or NOT?

No intention of me siding with IOS or Andy, I use both for different purposes but life is short and I want to fly so I use the best system that will allow me to do so.
2017-2-14
Use props
viper71285
New

United States

What Android Device are you using?
2017-2-14
Use props
Gusmtb
lvl.3
Flight distance : 35249 ft
United Kingdom

What amazes me is the fact that on Google phones like the 6P, pixel etc that run Android in it's pure form and are mainly used as a programming platform for Android, the Go4 app still crashes and has other problems.  So if DJI can't get a perfectly functioning app on a pure android phone that google makes, the rest of the phones like Samsung, Oneplus, Sony HTC etc. simply don't stand a chance.
2017-2-14
Use props
SupraLB
lvl.2
Flight distance : 1594 ft
United States

The iPhone itunes review of the app is just as bad with people complaining of crashes.   Not sure why everyone thinks its only Android.     
Mine has not crashed in several weeks.   

Not sure if my system works to avoid crashes, but I always:
1. close every other app
2. open the map in GO4, and navigate around everywhere you plan to fly.  (so all those maps are current and not needed to download during flight)
3. Mainly use the joysticks.  
2017-2-14
Use props
Gusmtb
lvl.3
Flight distance : 35249 ft
United Kingdom

SupraLB Posted at 2017-2-14 11:24
The iPhone itunes review of the app is just as bad with people complaining of crashes.   Not sure why everyone thinks its only Android.     
Mine has not crashed in several weeks.   

I think mainly because every time someone with an Android phone posts about it crashing, they always end up getting a reply from an apple owner who tells them to get an iphone because they don't crash with this app... period.

A simple google search tells a different story, but true IOS is a singular platform where as Android has vast differences, so it would be understandable if IOS didn't crash the app.

I saw a review of the new Phantom 4 pro with built in android screen, that even has a reset button on the screen in case the app freezes or crashes. so even with DJI's own tech the problem seems to remain.
2017-2-14
Use props
CAAirborne
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1174232 ft
United States

I've run DJI GO 4 on both platforms with no issues.  I did have some connectivity issues at one point that were not related to DJI GO 4, but the special USB cable that connects to the phone.  What Android device are you using?
2017-2-14
Use props
Mir
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

viper71285 Posted at 2017-2-14 11:10

I've used several devices:

- Samsung Note 3
- Samsung Note 5
- Nvidia Shield Tablet K1

All with various issues. I always close all apps before launch, and go into airplane mode to disable wifi/etc. Two of those devices are fresh re-installs, no mods, no shady apps, etc.
NOTE: Like I said in my OP, I didn't have any crashing issues with the original DJI Go app, with any of these devices. It's this P.O.S. DJI Go 4 App that seems full of trouble.
2017-2-14
Use props
bitboy0 - mavic
lvl.2
Flight distance : 212201 ft
Germany

I have a OnePlus 3T and use the App withot any problems at all. It never crashed and just work fine.
I guess that there might smartphones with less RAM and/or lots of RAM-hungry apps on it, causing problems.
I suggest to use a seperate device then for the DJI-App then, where noting else like Facebook, Whatsapp and so is installed. OR you spend some money and buy a decent phone with lots of RAM and a fast CPU.

As iOS does different with background apps it might be better there. And also the more modern IOS-devices are comparable to the better android-phones also.
2017-2-14
Use props
fansf2239506
lvl.1

United States

I still use the dji go app it warns me that they dont support it but im still using it
2017-2-14
Use props
Bent Kangaroo
lvl.4
Flight distance : 362510 ft
Australia

Why not just throw this effing mavic in the bin and go buy a drone that works as intended AND advertised?
Needing to go buy apple trash to make this device work was not in the sales pitch.
Working perfectly fine one day, but a total effing pig the next day due to DJI lack of programming skill and changing the goal posts is a crock.
I am still on Go3 and have zero intentions of changing that.
2017-2-14
Use props
dronist
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

Bent Kangaroo Posted at 2017-2-14 15:38
Why not just throw this effing mavic in the bin and go buy a drone that works as intended AND advertised?
Needing to go buy apple trash to make this device work was not in the sales pitch.
Working perfectly fine one day, but a total effing pig the next day due to DJI lack of programming skill and changing the goal posts is a crock.

{:4_142:} Kangaroo... it off bro...

So why didn't you then throw your MP and bought another drone????

2017-2-14
Use props
CTKgolfboy
lvl.1
Flight distance : 555801 ft
United States

I flew fine, before yesterday's update. The all would crash but could quickly connect back. After the update, the bird simply disconnects. Current state is unsafe to fly. I have to say I'm pretty disappointed. I got a phantom 3 and brand new the GpS would never connect. I sent it back, they repaired my never flown phantom rather than replacing and now this?
2017-2-14
Use props
Bent Kangaroo
lvl.4
Australia

dronist Posted at 2017-2-14 15:45
Kangaroo... it off bro...

So why didn't you then throw your MP and bought another drone????

I have been ordering drone parts for two weeks to build my own.
Parts should start arriving this week, including LiPo batteries, charger, drone kit, spare electronics, FPV gear and taranis Tx.
Much similar to

The mavic is soon to be destined for the junk heap.
2017-2-14
Use props
dronist
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

Bent Kangaroo Posted at 2017-2-14 16:09
Parts should start arriving this week, including LiPo batteries, charger, drone kit, spare electronics, FPV gear and taranis Tx.
Much similar to https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jsWCj-KiphI

Nice toy BTW.. but that is all it is. So if you wanted to drone race and flip/flop why did you by MP?
2017-2-14
Use props
fans2b75c050
lvl.2

United States

Why is it always iOS vs android. Would be so nice if we all could get along. More likely it's Apple holding up the progress.  
2017-2-14
Use props
CTKgolfboy
lvl.1
Flight distance : 555801 ft
United States

fans2b75c050 Posted at 2017-2-14 16:29
Why is it always iOS vs android. Would be so nice if we all could get along. More likely it's Apple holding up the progress.

Apple or Android, DJI advertised it works with both. Period. Not works better with iOS or app crashes more than Danica Patrick on Android.
2017-2-14
Use props
Bent Kangaroo
lvl.4
Australia

dronist Posted at 2017-2-14 16:26
Nice toy BTW.. but that is all it is. So if you wanted to drone race and flip/flop why did you by MP?

It is a nice toy.
The mavic is a toy also, it has a hopeless little toy camera to compliment the little toy design.
Why did i buy the toy mavic?
Well i guess you have to start somewhere.
2017-2-14
Use props
dronist
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

Bent Kangaroo Posted at 2017-2-14 16:49
It is a nice toy.
The mavic is a toy also, it has a hopeless little toy camera to compliment the little toy design.
Why did i buy the toy mavic?

At least with the MP you can hover it, stand under it, and use it as a shade in scorching hot weather...
2017-2-14
Use props
Bent Kangaroo
lvl.4
Australia

dronist Posted at 2017-2-14 16:58
At least with the MP you can hover it, stand under it, and use it as a shade in  scorching hot weather...

What do think this does?
http://www.banggood.com/OpenPiol ... l-bottom-alsobought
2017-2-14
Use props
dronist
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

Bent Kangaroo Posted at 2017-2-14 17:17
What do think this does?
http://www.banggood.com/OpenPiolot-CC3D-Revolution-Flight-Controller-Oplink-M8N-GPS-Distribution-Board-p-1000084.html?rmmds=detail-bottom-alsobought

There is a say "GIVE YOUR BREAD TO THE BAKER TO BAKE EVEN IF HE ATE HALF OF IT".

2017-2-14
Use props
thehippoz
Second Officer
Flight distance : 23 ft
United States

Bent Kangaroo Posted at 2017-2-14 16:09
Much similar to

Be interested to see that build bent. Well should post something relevant to the thread. I had a few crashes with go when I was activating the mavic back in december, after that it's been good. I pretty much just fly litchi though.
2017-2-14
Use props
FormatZ
lvl.1
Flight distance : 211371 ft
United Kingdom

There was nothing wrong with flying in my Android phone, but when I click on the footage I shoot, it just crashed.....so I have to watch the footage on my computer using SD card...
2017-2-14
Use props
Bent Kangaroo
lvl.4
Australia

dronist Posted at 2017-2-14 18:44
There is a say "GIVE YOUR BREAD TO THE BAKER TO BAKE EVEN IF HE ATE HALF OF IT".

Give your *dough* to the baker and what is it that you want your proverb to mean?

The kit for GPS hovering and stabilization i posted would be great for drones (AC that have a function) but not so much for FPV racing or LOS flying with racing drones. This option and many many others are available cheaply for modding or building any type of drones.

I am somewhat bored with mavic flight and want a greater challenge at times. That is why i can build a $110 kit drone and absolutely smoke the mavic. (more than double the speed) Horses for courses though.
If i built a drone for aerial surveillance (cropping/agriculture/infrastructure audits etc, then it would be good to include GPS telemetry for easier flight control.

thehippoz : Yeah that dude probably in the top 1%.
I might post a thread showing new cheap arse xracer smoking the mavic being recorded by the mavic.
Could be 6 weeks away from newly released Q X7 Tx being delivered though.
Best thing!!, not being a guinea pig for FW updates and App troubles and frustrations.

2017-2-14
Use props
dronist
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

Bent Kangaroo Posted at 2017-2-14 19:24
Give your *dough* to the baker and what is it that you want your proverb to mean?

The kit for GPS hovering and stabilization i posted would be great for drones (AC that have a function) but not so much for FPV racing or LOS flying with racing drones. This option and many many others are available cheaply for modding or building any type of drones.

It means, I will pay someone to built it for me because I want to fly now and I can afford it.

Same philosophy on why you buy a car, a computer, a house, hire a lawyer to defend you, a masseuse to massage you etc....

We know there are a lot of drones that beat the MP and P4 but these are for do it yourself and NOT the majority of people. That is why DJI a 10Billion dollar company. They found a need and VOILA...!
2017-2-14
Use props
Bent Kangaroo
lvl.4
Australia

dronist Posted at 2017-2-14 19:41
It means, I will pay someone to built it for me because I want to fly now and I can afford it.

Same philosophy on why you buy a car, a computer, a house, hire a lawyer to defend you, a masseuse to massage you  etc....

I did that with the mavic. (paid premium for convenience) Its a good little unit. Easy as ever to fly.
For a lot of people it will be the entry point for drone racing.
The sport is becoming more affordable now and will only increase in popularity as time moves forward.
Race kits and fully assembled racers are a fraction of the price of this mavic and many are strapping on gopro's for 4K recording.
We are way off topic though, sorry OP, lets get back to whining about GoCrap4 lol

2017-2-14
Use props
Jenee 2
First Officer
Flight distance : 7852129 ft
Australia

I haven't had a crash on my Pixel XL since I turned off screen rotation before the app opens.
2017-2-14
Use props
DJI Natalia
Administrator
Flight distance : 318 ft

Sorry to hear the issue, please help confirm your android version for the device.
Then export the crash log for us, you can get it here: /sdcard/DJI/dji.go.v4/LOG/CRASH
Please upload the log to dropbox and provide me the link, I'll transfer it to our engineers for analysis.
2017-2-15
Use props
Watty2000
lvl.3
Flight distance : 1074301 ft
United Kingdom

Bent Kangaroo Posted at 2017-2-14 19:24

It's a steep learning curve tuning these things for stable, vibration free flight. Even if you're using something like Cleanflight or Betaflight it can take weeeeeeks of tuning, tweaking and testing to get these to fly how you want them. The troubleshooting when something goes wrong will also keep you busy; Is today's problem caused by a faulty ESC, a faulty motor or is one of the dozens of solder joints gone cold etc etc? My recommendation would be to buy two of every part in your miniquad.

If you're not already an expert at acro flying, be prepared for lots of crashes, some of them costly, necessitating frustrating reordering of parts, teardowns and rebuilds. Even if you are an expert at acro flying, you'll push the envelope, leading to even more brutal and costly crashes! Every crash can take its toll on the motor shafts too so you may find your quad start to oscillate when pushing the throttle and no amount of PID tuning will fix it.

Racing miniquads are great fun, don't get me wrong but it can sometimes feel like you're spending more time fixing them than flying them.
2017-2-15
Use props
fans2fde7c9a
lvl.1
Flight distance : 22943 ft
United States

viper71285 Posted at 2017-2-14 11:10

I have the LG V10 and it works flawlessly. Never crashes. Smooth video even while recording live stream. I've tried iphone 6 and 6+ and LG  V10 has way smoother display with Mavic and P3 Pro.
2017-2-15
Use props
Jdwyier
lvl.2

United States

No issues with DJIGO4 on my Samsung Galaxy 7 Edge running Android 6. Based on user reports seems that it's hit and miss what phones and other apps it plays well with. Seems Android is always tougher to program successfully for with all the variables an open OS introduces.  
2017-2-15
Use props
Mir
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

DJI Natalia Posted at 2017-2-15 03:09
Sorry to hear the issue, please help confirm your android version for the device.
Then export the crash log for us, you can get it here: /sdcard/DJI/dji.go.v4/LOG/CRASH
Please upload the log to dropbox and provide me the link, I'll transfer it to our engineers for analysis.

Unfortunately, there is no "CRASH" folder in the location you specified.
2017-2-15
Use props
Heavysledz
lvl.4
Flight distance : 819491 ft
United States

It would be nice if DJI released a Mavic Pro Advanced or something like that and came with the CrystalSky touchscreen display. It would definitly have the best display for outdoor use and possibly not even need a sunshade on bright days. Whether or not it would be any more stable than an Android or IOS device is yet to be seen.

I have had good luck with my Samsung Galaxy Tab A (2016) 7" while running the DJIGO app but was glitchy and crashed on the DJIGO 4 app. I picked up a used I PAD mini 2 for $100 on Craigslist and it has worked flawlessly on the DJIGO 4 app so far. Both devices were purchased as dedicated displays for the Mavic Pro so I don't have a bunch of other stuff loaded on them. I also make sure to limit my video cache to 3GB to ensure I have adequate memory available to avoid any processing issues due to lack of available memory. I guess what I am getting at is if you want to ensure the best possible flying experience, you need to have a dedicated device that you aren't constantly adding new apps or have multiple apps running in the background. DJI (or nobody for that matter) can test a device under the millions of scenarios that it could be subjected to to see how it performs. The DJIGO 4 app requires a large amount of processing power as well as available memory to operate correctly. If you want to make sure you aren't over taxing your device, install an app that monitors/records the device performance and then go fly the Mavic and then afterwards, go evaluate the data. It will tell you if the device you have has sufficient processing power and memory to keep up with the DJIGO 4 app.
2017-2-15
Use props
12Next >
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules