Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
A Band or Transmitter for Follow me mode
2303 9 2017-2-14
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
jeebs-9
First Officer
Flight distance : 174262 ft
United States

I'm a virgin around here. And one to the whole drone thing.
But I was wonder if DJI has thought about a wirst band or transmitter to improve the follow me feature. Obviusly the visual follow is amazing. But it does'nt work well on declining terrain. Or snowboarding type of situations. Has anyone thrown this idea at Devs?

I didn't know where to post this question.

2017-2-14
Use props
jeebs-9
First Officer
United States

I guess not haha
2017-2-16
Use props
Griffith
First Officer
Flight distance : 98537 ft
United States

Any idea of how such a device would work.  Homing beacon?  Red blinking light on beenie?
2017-2-16
Use props
jeebs-9
First Officer
United States

Griffith Posted at 2017-2-16 10:52
Any idea of how such a device would work.  Homing beacon?  Red blinking light on beenie?

I'm guessing a combination of GPS and other things.  I guess I'm looking for something to make following subject a little easier. Even when it goes behind things.
2017-2-22
Use props
Griffith
First Officer
United States

jeebs-9 Posted at 2017-2-22 11:01
I'm guessing a combination of GPS and other things.  I guess I'm looking for something to make following subject a little easier. Even when it goes behind things.

I think most of the other similar  drones (Lilly for example) have transmitted a GPS coordinate from the wrist device.  That could point the drone in the general vicinity.  GPS coordinate accuracy is generally +/- a few meters.  If, however,  the GPS coordinate were combined with visual tracking, it might work fairly well (most of the time). You might be able to just utilize WIFI mode (i.e. sans RC), since your cell already contains a GPS receiver, and I'm assuming the drone won't be far away.  That would only require some software changes go the GO app and not new wristband device.  You could still pull  the cell from your pocket for takeoff and landing. Other forms of tracking might require significant hardware additions to the Mavic.
2017-2-23
Use props
jeebs-9
First Officer
United States

Griffith Posted at 2017-2-23 05:16
I think most of the other similar  drones (Lilly for example) have transmitted a GPS coordinate from the wrist device.  That could point the drone in the general vicinity.  GPS coordinate accuracy is generally +/- a few meters.  If, however,  the GPS coordinate were combined with visual tracking, it might work fairly well (most of the time). You might be able to just utilize WIFI mode (i.e. sans RC), since your cell already contains a GPS receiver, and I'm assuming the drone won't be far away.  That would only require some software changes go the GO app and not new wristband device.  You could still pull  the cell from your pocket for takeoff and landing. Other forms of tracking might require significant hardware additions to the Mavic.

And I guess I'm willing to pay for a device that can do something like that. Because as much as most people that want to be pilots. There has to be genre of people who just want to press a button a go. It's just a another place DJI can eat up the market. In my opinion they are the leading example.  
2017-3-2
Use props
Wind Junkie
Second Officer
Flight distance : 116165 ft
United States

Yes! this has been my request before. Active Track will not work when I kiteboard. I need to position the drone above 66 feet because that's how high my kite flies. At 66+ feet, Active Track cannot follow the object (myself) from that height. If I wore a wrist band, and had the drone follow the wrist band, it would theoretically work perfectly. You can use Follow Me mode, but that requires the drone to follow the RC, and I'm definitely not taking the RC out in the water with me
2017-3-2
Use props
Griffith
First Officer
United States

Wind Junkie Posted at 2017-3-2 08:49
Yes! this has been my request before. Active Track will not work when I kiteboard. I need to position the drone above 66 feet because that's how high my kite flies. At 66+ feet, Active Track cannot follow the object (myself) from that height. If I wore a wrist band, and had the drone follow the wrist band, it would theoretically work perfectly. You can use Follow Me mode, but that requires the drone to follow the RC, and I'm definitely not taking the RC out in the water with me

Could you use the WIFI connection rather than the RC? Then you'd only have to carry your cell phone or tablet :-)
2017-3-3
Use props
Wind Junkie
Second Officer
Flight distance : 116165 ft
United States

Griffith Posted at 2017-3-3 05:23
Could you use the WIFI connection rather than the RC? Then you'd only have to carry your cell phone or tablet :-)

Nah, wifi mode is weak, and taking my $500 iPhone into the sea isn't worth it either
2017-3-3
Use props
jeebs-9
First Officer
United States

Wind Junkie Posted at 2017-3-3 11:02
Nah, wifi mode is weak, and taking my $500 iPhone into the sea isn't worth it either

Exactly! You need something to access as fast as possible in one on one shooting. But it also needs to be water proof. And the buttons need to huge.So the user can wear gloves.
2017-3-24
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules