Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Crash poll
123Next >
5811 86 2017-2-14
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
WindSoul
lvl.4
Flight distance : 16 ft
Canada

This is a poll about crashing the drone. All kinds of crashes, recoverable or not, repairable at home or at repair shop.
The reason is to find out about:

1. the learning curve on handling the drone, how steep it is and how hard is the hard way
   2. something about what to expect when trying to purchase a used drone

I hope this will help clear the air about buying a used drone and what it takes to fully enjoy the P4.

Single SelectVote, Total 163 people participate in voting

Voting has ended

14.11% (23)
2.45% (4)
4.29% (7)
12.27% (20)
4.29% (7)
62.58% (102)
Your user group with no voting privileges
2017-2-14
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Flight distance : 165105 ft
Canada

Still in beginner mode are we? Hahaha

You really need to look into www.realflight.com X version

It will help you learn to keep your aircraft above the rocks and firm ground, hard landings ... ;-)

I have crashed more than once, but less than, more than twice. Hahaha

RedHotPoker
2017-2-14
Use props
Nigel_
Captain
Flight distance : 388642 ft
United Kingdom

There is no option for never crashed!

Also, it doesn't define what a crash is,
does it include tipping over on landing or takeoff?
does it include trimming a tree but staying in the air?
does it include being saved by obstacle avoidance?
2017-2-14
Use props
WindSoul
lvl.4
Canada

Nigel_ Posted at 2017-2-14 14:49
There is no option for never crashed!

Also, it doesn't define what a crash is,

thank you for mentioning it, i'll add it if still possible.it does define the crash: all kinds. all those youre asking for are crashes.
2017-2-14
Use props
fansb885c69e
Second Officer
Flight distance : 349419 ft
Canada

I also have never crashed. P4 purchased June 2016. I did hit a wire once but the drone just righted itself and kept on flying. Does that count as a crash or collision? Should have a crash by pilot error, aircraft problem, environmental problem, wind gust, animal lightning strike.
2017-2-14
Use props
WindSoul
lvl.4
Canada

fansb885c69e Posted at 2017-2-14 15:36
I also have never crashed. P4 purchased June 2016. I did hit a wire once but the drone just righted itself and kept on flying. Does that count as a crash or collision? Should have a crash by pilot error, aircraft problem, environmental problem, wind gust, animal lightning strike.

its up to you. to me that is too insignificant to be considered a crash. i crashed twice and broke some propellers, but it wasn't really a big deal, the drone seems fine. i decided to consider those crashes, but if you feel like the drone didn't get damaged at all then go ahead with no crashes
2017-2-14
Use props
Mark The Droner
Captain
Flight distance : 2917 ft
United States

I crashed within the first 5 secs of my maiden flight due to a bad battery in the retail box.  The battery shut itself off  at about 15 feet height.  
2017-2-14
Use props
dronist
Captain
  • >>>
United States

RedHotPoker Posted at 2017-2-14 14:41

Hopefully by the end of this LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOONG POLL (78 Day21 Hour34 Min )  DJI would have created the "PASS THRU DRONE" so no one will have to endure the AGONY thru any of these LOOOOOOOOOOOO POLLS.

DJI please help us...   

DJI you can do it!
2017-2-14
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Canada

dronist Posted at 2017-2-14 19:29
Hopefully by the end of this LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOONG POLL (78 Day21 Hour34 Min )  DJI would have created the "PASS THRU DRONE" so no one will have to endure the AGONY thru any of these LOOOOOOOOOOOO POLLS.

DJI please help us...    PASS THRU DRONE

What works better, a smart drone, or the smart drone pilot operator? ;-)

And do we need a poll for that too ...? Hahaha

Yes, please No!!

RedHotPoker

2017-2-14
Use props
dronist
Captain
  • >>>
United States

RedHotPoker Posted at 2017-2-14 19:49
What works better, a smart drone, or the smart drone pilot operator? ;-)

And do we need a poll for that too ...? Hahaha

For sure Harrison Ford will be upset now that this poll doesn't have an option for

"ALMOST CRASHED"

OR

chose  "TAXIWAY instead of RUNAWAY".  
2017-2-14
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Canada

AlecW Posted at 2017-2-14 20:11
One thing the OP will realize after this poll,  he is one of the very select group of owners that crash within their first 10 flights (twice).  I think he's still bitter about his initial crash in to the wall thread, he was looking for sympathy but instead got a lesson in the reality of the internet because it was 100% user error and preventable.

You have to be carful with these toys if you are new to drones.  Read the manual, learn, fly in open places, don't fly in the house or confined spaces and you'll be fine.  If you have a legitimate defective drone out of the box all bets are obviously off, call DJI for warrantee.

Bob's your Uncle... Ha

RedHotPoker

2017-2-14
Use props
Nigelbrinkmann
First Officer
Flight distance : 586391 ft
Australia

Ha, DontCallMeBob didn't bob out of the way fast enough! ha
2017-2-14
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Canada

Nigelbrinkmann Posted at 2017-2-14 22:00
Ha, DontCallMeBob didn't bob out of the way fast enough! ha

Yeah, he weaved when he should have Bobbed. Hahaha

Our dangerous drones should activate a voice; "You better run, Sucka!!!"

RedHotPoker
2017-2-14
Use props
Ercoupedriver
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1075778 ft
United States

I think he is trying to get info to sue DJI.  Maybe he is a lawyer.  
2017-2-15
Use props
WindSoul
lvl.4
Canada

Ercoupedriver Posted at 2017-2-15 08:15

I wouldn't need that. Posts like yours speak volumes about who's in this forum and for what.
That definitely is advertising.
The advertising I make may be anything but dishonest.
The advertising you make is anything but.
2017-2-15
Use props
Dessert Rat
lvl.4
United States

My Phantom 4 is by far the most stable and easiest to fly quad I've flown. Previously I had flown 3DR quads, starting several years ago with their DIY ready to assemble kit, then the Iris, and more recently the Solo. Both the Iris and the Solo are great quads, but the P4 definitely suits my needs better. I've also flown a small "toy" quad and a couple of coaxial heli's, so the P4 is so easy it's scary!!

Lurking on the forums for a while now, It seems like many of the crashes are due to pilot error, or lack of knowledge about the P4.  Though there are some that are definitely not user error too.
2017-2-15
Use props
jwt-873
First Officer
Flight distance : 6754350 ft
Canada

Like Nigel_ suggests..  You should have included a 'never crashed' choice

I've had my P4 for ten months now and have over 52 hours in the air.    No crashes.
2017-2-16
Use props
stalker
Second Officer
Flight distance : 13632 ft
Netherlands

Crashed my Phantom 1.1.1 many times (within first 10 flights) and learnt my lesson. Taking care now, flying carefully. No crashes yet and to be better safe than sorry I bought the DJI Refresh Care for my P4P.
2017-2-16
Use props
dronist
Captain
  • >>>
United States

Ercoupedriver Posted at 2017-2-15 08:15

If he is a lawyer, than the Donald... NEVER LIED.. {:4_181:}
2017-2-16
Use props
warloc59
lvl.4
Flight distance : 209160 ft
  • >>>
United States

I don't know. I consistently fly 1.75 to 2.25 miles out over open water.  Live on the Great Lakes.  Big ships, and nature galore!
2017-2-16
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Canada

warloc59 Posted at 2017-2-16 15:40
I don't know. I consistently fly 1.75 to 2.25 miles out over open water.  Live on the Great Lakes.  Big ships, and nature galore!

Hey, that's great. Love to see some of your awesome videos and pics. ;-)

My post above was directed towards the thread OP not a general blanket statement.

But I certainly appreciate the candor... Thanks.

RedHotPoker
2017-2-16
Use props
WindSoul
lvl.4
Canada

stalker Posted at 2017-2-16 05:59
Crashed my Phantom 1.1.1 many times (within first 10 flights) and learnt my lesson. Taking care now, flying carefully. No crashes yet and to be better safe than sorry I bought the DJI Refresh Care for my P4P.
your post reflects what i tried to cover with so many options in the poll: you are one who didnt crash lately, but at least came up talking about. so i guess your voting wans't easy, although there were options.
i guess your vote would not be reflective for P4 pilots (you didnt crash the p4), let alone first timers. but your sharing is, thank you.
2017-2-17
Use props
stalker
Second Officer
Flight distance : 13632 ft
Netherlands

WindSoul Posted at 2017-2-17 19:28
your post reflects what i tried to cover with so many options in the poll: you are one who didnt crash lately, but at least came up talking about. so i guess your voting wans't easy, although there were options.
i guess your vote would not be reflective for P4 pilots (you didnt crash the p4), let alone first timers. but your sharing is, thank you.

Yes I think it's good to have a poll like this. I don't have my P4P very long yet, so I filled in my P1-result: Crashed within first 10 flights. Fingers crossed that all will remain well with the P4P. Then again it's technologically so much more advanced you can't really compare the P1with P4P. And I'm very, very happy about that!
2017-2-18
Use props
KevDrones
Second Officer
Flight distance : 475522 ft
United States

I hit legs on the side of a building, and then regained but it was a hard landing.
2017-2-18
Use props
blackcrusader
First Officer
Flight distance : 689774 ft
Taiwan

I tried hitting the sun.  Getting closer all the time.

Actually I am in more risk of colliding with another drone pilot sharing my airspace lol.

2017-2-18
Use props
GrangerFX
First Officer
Flight distance : 817713 ft
United States

Where is the option for having flown more than 50 flights, more than 100 miles and am still on my first original set of props?
Of course that's the P4. The P2V+ was not so lucky. Crashed it twice and both times were my fault entirely. It can still fly though after replacing two motors.
2017-2-18
Use props
WindSoul
lvl.4
Canada

GrangerFX Posted at 2017-2-18 13:29
Where is the option for having flown more than 50 flights, more than 100 miles and am still on my first original set of props?
Of course that's the P4. The P2V+ was not so lucky. Crashed it twice and both times were my fault entirely. It can still fly though after replacing two motors.

the idea of the poll is to focus on P4. some pilots never crashed their P4 for various reasons- you're probably one of them, but many others did crash. you have option 6, but if you want to translate your learning curve to what it means to a newbie P4 pilot, then use your conscience.
i have less than 50 flights on my first drone (P4) and crashed twice. whether that (and many other votes) have relevancy for P4 owners, only you can determine. this is the real meaning of democracy: we all vote and obey the results, but results have meaning only if we vote consciously.

this is not about counting crashes up or down. is about voting what you feel about owning a P4 for first time and what crashing has to do with the learning curve.

2017-2-18
Use props
fans617b9cdc
lvl.1
Flight distance : 135614 ft
Brazil

What if you are a great pilot and have never crashed? let's say level 18...288 flights?  If DJI updates software and the Drone flies off spirals down and decapitates a favourite young son or daughter, (not yours some stranger down the street or a mile away who will be just a little angry at you)  is it your fault or does some blame rest on the shoulders of morons  who released software without testing it enough to make it safe?
2017-2-18
Use props
WindSoul
lvl.4
Canada

fans617b9cdc Posted at 2017-2-18 15:57
What if you are a great pilot and have never crashed? let's say level 18...288 flights?  If DJI updates software and the Drone flies off spirals down and decapitates a favourite young son or daughter, (not yours some stranger down the street or a mile away who will be just a little angry at you)  is it your fault or does some blame rest on the shoulders of morons  who released software without testing it enough to make it safe?

that i am a great pilot has nothing to do with "never crashed". i dont believe in great pilots who never crashed. what makes a pilot great is besides skill, the intuition at taking calculated risks.

that a drone got involved in an accident due to no fault of the pilot, no reasonable law system would blame the pilot. if the official investigation finds the pilot at fault, then i believe would be difficult for the pilot to prove otherwise.

i dont really see a point in your message. this is just a poll, we're not after who's fault it is when a crash occurs.
2017-2-18
Use props
Beux
lvl.1
United States

I don't think you can crash the P4Pro in beginner mode can you? I did some pretty hair brained stuff and managed to keep the props up right.
2017-2-19
Use props
Beux
lvl.1
United States

blackcrusader Posted at 2017-2-18 09:50
I tried hitting the sun.  Getting closer all the time.

Actually I am in more risk of colliding with another drone pilot sharing my airspace lol.

That's a great video. The sun can only hold back the fog for so long it looked like. Do you know the other drone pilot?
2017-2-19
Use props
blackcrusader
First Officer
Flight distance : 689774 ft
Taiwan

Beux Posted at 2017-2-19 15:44
That's a great video. The sun can only hold back the fog for so long it looked like. Do you know the other drone pilot?

Yes I do. Dronesmeg up there with me.  He comes to stay where I live several times a year.
2017-2-19
Use props
Fruxen
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1370630 ft
Sweden

I heard the advice that you should start flying with an inexpensive drone first, and make your beginner mistakes on that one. So that's what I did.

I started with a 50$ drone, took my baby steps and got hooked. I then quickly upgraded to a Syma X8. It looks like a Phantom and has the same size but it cost just 100$ from China. Wan't a new battery? 10$. New charger? 6$. Need to exchange the motherboard? 15$. New propguards? 2$. Etc.

It was a lot of fun! No GPS, no fancy flight assist at all. The aircraft was stable and agile on it's own but it started to drift with the slighest wind, so you always had to take that into account. Ascending over the treetops where it's more windy made it hard to handle. And the actioncam I fitted with it's fisheye lens took the best video in closer surroundings, so that's why I mostly flew between the trees and filming the creeks and the forest where I live. Which of course is pushing it as a beginner. But I got the hang of it.

I made all the beginner mistakes. Flying too close to things, too fast. Misjudging the distance and hit trees and clipped branches instead of flying around them. And the classic where I flew over myself at a low height and the controls got inverted, I panicked and it crashed into me. The motors and props are not as strong as on the Phantom but I sure felt it anyway.

So, enter the 1100$ Phantom 4. Needless to say I have a lot of respect for it and I know how much can go wrong because of a pilot error. I have only had it for a month and have 15 flights so I guess "no crashes" so far doesn't really say much lol.

I have had one close call though. I was in a controlled descent diagonally between the trees in my garden when my neighbour suddenly came up to me and started to ask some questions. My instinct was of course to face him and reply friendly but I forgot to let go of the sticks. Another classic pilot error btw. So after a few seconds I realized this, looked up at the aircraft and it was heading straight into a treetop. That was probably 2-3 seconds from having my first crash. But so far, 0, and nothing but smooth and soft landings.
2017-2-20
Use props
WindSoul
lvl.4
Canada

Fruxen Posted at 2017-2-20 00:54
I heard the advice that you should start flying with an inexpensive drone first, and make your beginner mistakes on that one. So that's what I did.

I started with a 50$ drone, took my baby steps and got hooked. I then quickly upgraded to a Syma X8. It looks like a Phantom and has the same size but it cost just 100$ from China. Wan't a new battery? 10$. New charger? 6$. Need to exchange the motherboard? 15$. New propguards? 2$. Etc.

i got my p4 as a present for Christmas. Never flew a drone before, and there i was: first time setup and takeoff. what impressed me was the quality in everything: hardware and software. I expected to face sooner or later the anguish of finding a "work in progress" or "feature present as demo to expose the potential". Nothing of the kind.

I did crash twice. there are no hard feelings towards the manufacturer or even towards myself. I take every flight with the precautions and learning from previous ones, but also with excitement and joy.
2017-2-20
Use props
Augustus Brian
Second Officer
Flight distance : 397592 ft
United States

WindSoul Posted at 2017-2-20 14:36
i got my p4 as a present for Christmas. Never flew a drone before, and there i was: first time setup and takeoff. what impressed me was the quality in everything: hardware and software. I expected to face sooner or later the anguish of finding a "work in progress" or "feature present as demo to expose the potential". Nothing of the kind.

I did crash twice. there are no hard feelings towards the manufacturer or even towards myself. I take every flight with the precautions and learning from previous ones, but also with excitement and joy.

WindSoul:

I appreciate hearing your origins story. Glad the P4 is growing on you. Information is important. Not sure if you signed on to the other thread, so I'll ask: What's the origin story behind your chosen moniker: WindSoul?

I bought my P4, after 3 weeks intensive research, back in September. Never flew anything but paper, balls, frisbees and Microsoft Flight Simulator prior. And one kite, at the urging of an ex. I haven't been disappointed so far, but I did do many sorties in simulation, and resisted the urge to fly indoors, before my maiden flight, about 2 weeks after it arrived. I also rehearsed certain maneuvers in the simulator, and practiced Intelligent modes, RTHs and CSCs.

I almost crashed once, doing a strafing run, late pulling up. Learning is important. So is gulping.

The excitement and joy is a blessing. Combined with the truly fulfilling art of photovideography.

Fun is important. It can only get better.

Keep Smiling,

Augustus
2017-2-20
Use props
WindSoul
lvl.4
Canada

Augustus Brian Posted at 2017-2-20 16:30
WindSoul:

I appreciate hearing your origins story. Glad the P4 is growing on you. Information is important. Not sure if you signed on to the other thread, so I'll ask: What's the origin story behind your chosen moniker: WindSoul?

WindSoul comes from a time when ... cant make any relation between your interest in my nickname and anything else. is just a nickname which i find representative, rest is private. i find it inappropriate dwelling into it.

now about your experience acquiring a P4: phenomenal! you knew what you wanted and did your homework. thank you for sharing.
2017-2-20
Use props
kugaman1
lvl.1
Flight distance : 3691 ft
United Kingdom

What about adding "crashed due to machinery failure"
I crashed my Phantom 4 after less than 15 mins flight from new due to a massive compass/gps failure.....current being replaced by DJI thank god!
2017-2-21
Use props
WindSoul
lvl.4
Canada

kugaman1 Posted at 2017-2-21 00:35
What about adding "crashed due to machinery failure"
I crashed my Phantom 4 after less than 15 mins flight from new due to a massive compass/gps failure.....current being replaced by DJI thank god!

This poll is about crashes, not investigating the fault. You had it and it crashed. Now you have a new one. Does that mean that the drone crashed and got repaired/ exchanged or it means the crash lost any relevancy? Only you can decide. Voting is not wrong and neither abstaining. If I was you I would consider all  7 options. This is an exercise in democracy and nothing else. As you can see in many posts in this thread, there are great forces at work to displace democracy and influence voting. This poll becomes more of measure of how civilized and at home with the principles of democracy people are.
2017-2-21
Use props
Mariuss
First Officer
Flight distance : 2480515 ft
  • >>>
Norway

WindSoul Posted at 2017-2-18 16:50
that i am a great pilot has nothing to do with "never crashed". i dont believe in great pilots who never crashed. what makes a pilot great is besides skill, the intuition at taking calculated risks.

that a drone got involved in an accident due to no fault of the pilot, no reasonable law system would blame the pilot. if the official investigation finds the pilot at fault, then i believe would be difficult for the pilot to prove otherwise.

"i dont believe in great pilots who never crashed"

Cant say i agree with that one Windsoul! If i've never crashed a car, does that make me a bad driver? Or as you say, am I a good driver since I ( even tho driving is a great risk) posess the intuition to avoid crashes? I get what you mean, but I myself have never crashed, not even close. I prefer to believe that is because of carefully reading the entire manual and be as prepared as possible. After some 150 flights statistics is closing in on a possible crash, but as long as i take precations I guess im all good.
2017-2-22
Use props
Beux
lvl.1
United States

AlecW Posted at 2017-2-22 07:53
Poll is meaningless as far as helping anyone.  Of those people who crashed in the first few flights how many didn't read anything, made a rookie mistake etc.  How many destroyed the drone vs. a set of props etc.

Set of props here.
2017-2-22
Use props
123Next >
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules