Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Does Gimbal Calibration Fix - Tilted Horizon?
4978 13 2017-2-15
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
FrequentFlyer
lvl.4
United States

Hey guys Ive noticed the Tilted Horizon on footage from my Mavic. I was wondering if anyone else had similar experiences and how you corrected. Ive seen som people post about adjusting the tilt, but will that affect taking photos or footage when camera is facing straight down as one side would be lower?
2017-2-15
Use props
thehippoz
lvl.4
Flight distance : 23 ft
United States

WIth mine, if it goes up, first thing I see is a nice level horizon. But it will tilt eventually.

I noticed if I stick a sound recorder on the front and don't calibrate, it's worse. It's probably to do with a combo of the gimbal and compass calibrations. Not so much the IMU imo.
2017-2-15
Use props
jpap
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1780679 ft
Greece

Do you fly in windy conditions? I do get tilted horizon when is windy (at 4-5m/s or more)
2017-2-15
Use props
FrequentFlyer
lvl.4
United States

jpap Posted at 2017-2-15 12:14
Do you fly in windy conditions? I do get tilted horizon when is windy (at 4-5m/s or more)

If anything it was 5mph winds.
2017-2-15
Use props
FrequentFlyer
lvl.4
United States

Update: I calibrated gimbal, but sill the horizon is tilted. Even when its on the floor.  Anyone have some feedback?
2017-2-23
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

FrequentFlyer Posted at 2017-2-23 15:00
Update: I calibrated gimbal, but sill the horizon is tilted. Even when its on the floor.  Anyone have some feedback?

It may be sorted by firmware, but it's an age old thing with dji drones, you can straighten with the gimbal roll , just set it on a flat surface using the gimbal roll to straighten + or -  which ever levels it out for you..
2017-2-23
Use props
FrequentFlyer
lvl.4
United States

hallmark007 Posted at 2017-2-23 15:18
It may be sorted by firmware, but it's an age old thing with dji drones, you can straighten with the gimbal roll , just set it on a flat surface using the gimbal roll to straighten + or -  which ever levels it out for you..

Will this affect when shooting straight down?
2017-2-23
Use props
Nakhwayusu
lvl.2
Flight distance : 263737 ft
United States

Yes and no.

Place your Mavic in even surface and do a gimbal calibration.

After gimbal calibration is finished check your monitor and see if the horizontal tilt is fixed,

A) if fixed, you are done
B) if not fixed access gimbal advanced setting go to horizontal roll and adjust gimbal so that mavic camera isn't tilted anymore.

that's how I fixed my horizontal tilt and I don't have issue anymore.

I'm assuming you have to repeat the step anytime you go to a new area.

2017-2-23
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

FrequentFlyer Posted at 2017-2-23 15:44

No it won't when you set it straight for your camera , test it panning and straight photo shots, your other alternative is to straighten horizon in post.
You can also set you c1 c2 to adjust your gimbal horizontal so if it shifts you can change it while flying..
2017-2-23
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

FrequentFlyer Posted at 2017-2-23 15:44

Sorry it maybe hold down c1/c2 and use gimbal dial. It's one of those,
2017-2-23
Use props
alirz5
lvl.4
Flight distance : 609833 ft
Canada

Tilted horizon issue comes due to cross winds that the gimbal cant seem to accommodate for. Thats also the reason why you see the tilt go from left to perfect straight then to right, straight again and to left again etc as you turn the drone around. While a gimbal should able to maintain a good level, DJI's gimbals dont. .Unless your gimbal is really defective or something, you'll never notice a tilted horizon issue indoors for example.

2017-2-23
Use props
Egika
lvl.2
Flight distance : 379593 ft

Hong Kong

You can press C2 and turn the right wheel normally used for exposure compensation to adjust the camera tilt during flight.
Super convenient
2017-2-23
Use props
FrequentFlyer
lvl.4
United States

Nakhwayusu Posted at 2017-2-23 15:53
Yes and no.

Place your Mavic in even surface and do a gimbal calibration.

Ok, Ill have to try step 2.
2017-2-24
Use props
Maxheadspace
lvl.4
  • >>>
South Korea

You can fix horizon tilt easily in post.  Here's a quick example:  
2018-10-12
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now