Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
The machine is a dream, the signal is terrible, 800meter and gone
12Next >
3350 77 2017-2-16
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
fanse186c04e
First Officer
Flight distance : 26170253 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

Hi all,

The machine is a dream ( till now), it's flying like a angel and no problems realy realy great, also after 30 times of flying.
I am lucky.

Only the both signals is realy terrible( all the 30 times) after 600 meters it's starting to get terrible and when go to 800 it will return home auto, every time, 30 times tested.
no 4 KM at all, and i not even think off 7KM!!!

500 at it's best.

Anny tips, i do not buy other antenas, it have to work like DJI say , so anny tips are welcome or DJI have some explaning to to.

I do not fly 7KM or 4KM, bud i like that when DJI say 7 KM ( i know it will be 4KM ), bud thats not possble at all!!!! not even 800 meters....

Do not start talking about callibrating .....

Thanks

Vince
2017-2-16
Use props
Electro-Nick
Second Officer
Flight distance : 5989180 ft
United Kingdom

Try switching over to 5.8GHZ, you might have too much interference on the 2.4 band. Also make sure the rc antenae are correctly positioned
2017-2-16
Use props
I 2 Fly
Second Officer
Flight distance : 8176 ft
South Africa

Tip: The post by the administrator or moderators shield
2017-2-16
Use props
fansa84fe8a4
First Officer
Flight distance : 3 ft
United States

I really want to buy one of these, but sure glad you guys are out there doing the initial debugging of them!  

Maybe next year, once they get them cleaned up, the I2 should be perfect.  That or move onto that other brand with the smaller 16MP camera - ugh.

2017-2-16
Use props
Viper Pilot
Captain
Flight distance : 31644 ft
United States

I have had absolutely no problems with the range of the I2.  While I have not tried to see how far I can fly and still have good signal coverage, I have been out to slightly over 2 kilos and had good signal strength and good control.  I was flying at approx. 250' altitude when running my tests.
2017-2-16
Use props
I 2 Fly
Second Officer
Flight distance : 8176 ft
South Africa

Viper Pilot Posted at 2017-2-16 08:26
I have had absolutely no problems with the range of the I2.  While I have not tried to see how far I can fly and still have good signal coverage, I have been out to slightly over 2 kilos and had good signal strength and good control.  I was flying at approx. 250' altitude when running my tests.

Really glad to hear.  I usually fly my P4 P right after the I2 (just to feel how a good drones flies  )  and have no issue to fly it till it becomes a tiny dot without any signal loss...  
2017-2-16
Use props
fanse186c04e
First Officer
  • >>>
Netherlands

I 2 Fly Posted at 2017-2-16 07:47
Yes Vince - terrible on 2.4 and about useless on 5.8....  another bu!!$%t story from DJI.  The cheap Mavic can go 7km but the flagship has the wrong props, signal loss and landing gear issues - all that for only $9000 (over here).

Jep, same here.

I normal do not fly that far, bud after 600 meter signal last every time is bad!
2017-2-16
Use props
fanse186c04e
First Officer
  • >>>
Netherlands

Yes Vince - terrible on 2.4 and about useless on 5.8....  another bu!!$%t story from DJI.  The cheap Mavic can go 7km but the flagship has the wrong props, signal loss and landing gear issues - all that for only $9000 (over here).

Jep, same here.

I normal do not fly that far, bud after 600 meter signal last every time is bad!
2017-2-16
Use props
fanse186c04e
First Officer
  • >>>
Netherlands

Jep, same here.

I normal do not fly that far, bud after 600 meter signal lost every time is bad!
2017-2-16
Use props
fanse186c04e
First Officer
  • >>>
Netherlands

Electro-Nick Posted at 2017-2-16 07:43
Try switching over to 5.8GHZ, you might have too much interference on the 2.4 band. Also make sure the rc antenae are correctly positioned

Yes i know the antennas, i did almost 1500 times fly inspires, the one and pro...
2017-2-16
Use props
fanse186c04e
First Officer
  • >>>
Netherlands

damm i am jalous
2017-2-16
Use props
Electro-Nick
Second Officer
United Kingdom

No probs, there's a huge mix of experience on here and not everyone gets it right. FWIW, DJI recommend different aerial positions for 2.4 and 5.8 (manual pg40) ;). not so sure it makes a lot of difference really tho'.
2017-2-16
Use props
fanse186c04e
First Officer
  • >>>
Netherlands

I now, normal flying everything ok, just did a test, 800 meter sometime 1Km and thats really the max i get
2017-2-16
Use props
DJI-Jamie
DJI team
Flight distance : 112405 ft
United States

What kind of areas are you flying in? Could you clarify what mobile devices you're using?
2017-2-16
Use props
Mike-the-cat
Captain
Flight distance : 21621841 ft
  • >>>
Singapore

Electro-Nick Posted at 2017-2-16 14:16
No probs, there's a huge mix of experience on here and not everyone gets it right. FWIW, DJI recommend different aerial positions for 2.4 and 5.8 (manual pg40) ;). not so sure it makes a lot of difference really tho'.

This is about physics of radiation patterns of an antenna, the recommendations are based on engineering and not whimsy.
2017-2-16
Use props
Mike-the-cat
Captain
Flight distance : 21621841 ft
  • >>>
Singapore

fanse186c04e Posted at 2017-2-16 14:24
I now, normal flying everything ok, just did a test, 800 meter sometime 1Km and thats really the max i get

Does another craft do better?
Either you have a dud system (can sometimes happen) or there is lots of RF interference in your area.
The I2 transmission system is fine in my experience.
However, it is correct that in my experience, the Mavic has the best performing system of all the new birds in terms of range.
2017-2-16
Use props
Electro-Nick
Second Officer
United Kingdom

Mike-the-cat Posted at 2017-2-16 15:51
This is about physics of radiation patterns of an antenna, the recommendations are based on engineering and not whimsy.

Yup, I know, occassionlly it's useful having a degree in Electonics .
My comment was based on experience in that it doesn't seem to make a lot of difference when I'm out in the field flying   YMMV.

2017-2-16
Use props
fanse186c04e
First Officer
  • >>>
Netherlands

DJI-Jamie Posted at 2017-2-16 15:39
What kind of areas are you flying in? Could you clarify what mobile devices you're using?

Hi,

I use iPad mini 4, empty the only app that runs is the dji app

areas are different bud clean i fly a lot in front of my hause, emty space and no towers wifi or someting else that can yam my signals and i did fly the inspire 1 and pro here often whiteout problems.

Vince
2017-2-17
Use props
fanse186c04e
First Officer
  • >>>
Netherlands

Electro-Nick Posted at 2017-2-16 14:16

i know, and did test it, not better what ever i do
2017-2-17
Use props
Electro-Nick
Second Officer
United Kingdom

fanse186c04e Posted at 2017-2-17 03:25
i know, and did test it, not better what ever i do

couple of other things...

have you looked at the channel display screen to see if there's a lot of other traffic interference on the 2.4 or 5.8 bands? If it's an area that's swamped with strong signals, try a different location and see what happens then.

Also, turn on the rc controller first - it tries to find a baseline/floor signal level first, then looks for the aircraft to bind to. Sometimes by turning the ac on first the conntroller gets a very strong signal from the ac as its close by and doesnt seem to sort itself out later when the ac is farther away.

keep hands and cables away from the antemae on the rc - often the tablet cable interferes with an  antena.
2017-2-17
Use props
fanse186c04e
First Officer
  • >>>
Netherlands

Electro-Nick Posted at 2017-2-17 03:32
couple of other things...

have you looked at the channel display screen to see if there's a lot of other traffic interference on the 2.4 or 5.8 bands? If it's an area that's swamped with strong signals, try a different location and see what happens then.

did that to, thanks, noting works
2017-2-17
Use props
fanse186c04e
First Officer
  • >>>
Netherlands

I fly a lot, the inspire 1 the inspire pro Phantom 4 pro etc...,
When flying from zero to 400-500 nothing bad everything is very ok, so i can fly and do the jobs perfect, sometimes i like to go further, ( it's allowed here ) and just do go a little further because the job asking it to puss a little further , and exactly that till now it does not do that, you expect when DJI say 7KM, you can fly 2KM easy, no way hosé, at least not with my machine till now. :-(

I do not like to send it in, everything works perfect, so that's ok, the only thing i have is the range-problem with signal.

Oh yes, the travel postion problem, i think that that needs a update and than it will be ok, the solution for that is: when you hit the slider on the remote for legs down, do not touch the sticks and the legs come down nice in landing position.

Vince
2017-2-17
Use props
Donnie Stugots
Captain
Flight distance : 3636782 ft
United States

fanse186c04e Posted at 2017-2-17 03:33
When flying from zero to 400-500 nothing bad everything is very ok, so i can fly and do the jobs perfect, sometimes i like to go further, ( it's allowed here ) and just do go a little further because the job asking it to puss a little further , and exactly that till now it does not do that, you expect when DJI say 7KM, you can fly 2KM easy, no way hosé, at least not with my machine till now. :-(

Vince , are you flying line of sight , where I Know you can't see the aircraft with the naked eye  but if there was a laser beam between them would it be broken ?  I find if I have enough altitude where the AC and RC can "see" one another I get tremendous range , also make sure the aircraft is orientated with the Nose OR Tail of the aircraft Pointing directly back to the Home point .  If the aircraft is Yawing the antennas on the front and back of the Aircraft are no longer pointing directly back to the RC transmitter and you will loose range BIG TIME  , Just please try this .

You should be getting at least a kilometer of range with your system IF you have the Line of sight I referred to earlier.  I  Get over 4.5 kilometers on My Inspire I with good weather conditions and If I am line Of sight with the Aircraft .  I of course   am in the desert or Over water when I do these test, so I am in pretty rural areas to say the least.   but I get get two miles easy over rural areas not to far from the city .

You should be getting much better range .

Try my suggestion with DIRECT   Line of sight and orientation of the AC , even if you can just test it with some more altitude and have the line of sight Laser beam example ,I bet you will get more distance , this will at least tell you if something is wrong with your system.  
They are coming out in the future (dji ) with 4G  which will make the only limitation battery power as the 4G is a cell signal , that is going to change the game for sure .

good Luck
Very funny with the "No way Jose " comment you made  . LOL   
*** Make sure you get your antennas aiming up a little higher as well with then kind of aiming at the aircraft  (Just like in the Avatar, Just hold it higher )  in your Avatar for example the RC transmitter and antennas are held  to low for LONG RANGE reception anyway , I know that was just for a picture but it is a example  I could use.  

donnie

2017-2-17
Use props
Donnie Stugots
Captain
United States

fanse186c04e Posted at 2017-2-17 03:33

Vince I know you have been doing this for a while but just look at this video for a moment for tips on the antenna orientation , Or those who are lurking , this is good information as well.  I am sure you know most of this  Vince but sometimes a refresher is good for us all, Incluidng ME !! and I want to make sure we cover all areas , that way if you are not getting the range that is promised you can at least say you coverd  all aspects to get the range .
donnie

2017-2-17
Use props
DJI-Jamie
DJI team
United States

fanse186c04e Posted at 2017-2-17 03:22
Hi,

I use iPad mini 4, empty the only app that runs is the dji app

When you notice the camera's feed start to become poor, does it seem to affect the FPV camera as well or does it seem to be more stable than the main camera?
2017-2-17
Use props
sharif0
lvl.3
Flight distance : 621312 ft
  • >>>
United States

Donnie Stugots Posted at 2017-2-17 09:34
Vince I know you have been doing this for a while but just look at this video for a moment for tips on the antenna orientation , Or those who are lurking , this is good information as well.  I am sure you know most of this  Vince but sometimes a refresher is good for us all, Incluidng ME !! and I want to make sure we cover all areas , that way if you are not getting the range that is promised you can at least say you coverd  all aspects to get the range .
donnie
https://youtu.be/EHoGvvCbukA

Great video. I picked up a couple things I didn't consider.
2017-2-17
Use props
Dr Jon
Second Officer
Flight distance : 463012 ft
China

My inputs, when i go to fly i always look at the channels being used. i have found sometimes its selection is illogical. BUT i did find if you switch from 2.8 to 5.4 and back it will make a better selection and the rest of the flight is much better.   i can almost match the DJI specification so i think its about forcing the R/C to scan and find the best channel. I have seen it select the "blue" channel when its the worts one available.

Can anyone lao explain why i cant select custom on this channel selection when i click it does nothing...
2017-2-18
Use props
Donnie Stugots
Captain
United States

sharif0 Posted at 2017-2-17 16:23
Great video. I picked up a couple things I didn't consider.

My pleasure , it is a good review as well for some of us More "Mature "   (as in old age ) members , As I am getting older I forget some of the basics too !!

donnie
2017-2-18
Use props
fanse186c04e
First Officer
  • >>>
Netherlands

Donnie Stugots Posted at 2017-2-17 09:21
Vince , are you flying line of sight , where I Know you can't see the aircraft with the naked eye  but if there was a laser beam between them would it be broken ?  I find if I have enough altitude where the AC and RC can "see" one another I get tremendous range , also make sure the aircraft is orientated with the Nose OR Tail of the aircraft Pointing directly back to the Home point .  If the aircraft is Yawing the antennas on the front and back of the Aircraft are no longer pointing directly back to the RC transmitter and you will loose range BIG TIME  , Just please try this .

You should be getting at least a kilometer of range with your system IF you have the Line of sight I referred to earlier.  I  Get over 4.5 kilometers on My Inspire I with good weather conditions and If I am line Of sight with the Aircraft .  I of course   am in the desert or Over water when I do these test, so I am in pretty rural areas to say the least.   but I get get two miles easy over rural areas not to far from the city .

thanks Donnie,

I did that before and no good reception .
Today..... i did go 3,3 Km, i think i could do even more, yessss, so i think the day's i did that, the wetter or sun was not friendly with me.
Today, works perfect, happy to know, not that i fly that far often.
I must say i can still see the aircraft when he is 3,3 Km away, the problem is when you take your eyes off and try to look again than the problem to find him starts,.
Even than try to look "slow", i do not know a other way to explain, and when you look slow and focus i will see it every time.

I am very happy now to know that the distance is ok, so, till now everything is tip top and unbelievable great.

Again, it looks like the Inspire pro, bud thats all, it looks like it, bud it's really a different machine when it comes to flying, so presise and so good to handel, i can make even more complex shots now, like i already did.

The great thing is that you really can make shots now that trow the jibs an rails from the stage, so great.
Real real great.

Yes i know my english is not that good :-) :-)

Again thanks Donnie,

Greatings,

Vince
2017-2-18
Use props
fanse186c04e
First Officer
  • >>>
Netherlands

DJI-Jamie Posted at 2017-2-17 14:20
When you notice the camera's feed start to become poor, does it seem to affect the FPV camera as well or does it seem to be more stable than the main camera?

It works great now, not because the video :-), i think i have had a few bad days after another, the video and signals are ok now, the machine is a dream!

Kiss the boss for me :-)

Vince
2017-2-18
Use props
fanse186c04e
First Officer
  • >>>
Netherlands

Dr Jon Posted at 2017-2-18 03:32
My inputs, when i go to fly i always look at the channels being used. i have found sometimes its selection is illogical. BUT i did find if you switch from 2.8 to 5.4 and back it will make a better selection and the rest of the flight is much better.   i can almost match the DJI specification so i think its about forcing the R/C to scan and find the best channel. I have seen it select the "blue" channel when its the worts one available.

Can anyone lao explain why i cant select custom on this channel selection when i click it does nothing...

try that to, thanks.
2017-2-18
Use props
fanse186c04e
First Officer
  • >>>
Netherlands

One question
not for this tread, bud ok.

How can you know that the licenses are active when you have no ssd's?

The assitant software in my Mac and the dji inspire 2 hooked on, the tab for the licenses say: activated ( in green)
Is this the way you now it's ok and actif or?

Vince
2017-2-18
Use props
DJI-Jamie
DJI team
United States

fanse186c04e Posted at 2017-2-18 13:16
It works great now, not because the video :-), i think i have had a few bad days after another, the video and signals are ok now, the machine is a dream!

Kiss the boss for me :-)

Good to hear!
2017-2-18
Use props
DJI-Jamie
DJI team
United States

fanse186c04e Posted at 2017-2-18 13:28
One question
not for this tread, bud ok.

What you're getting in the Assistant 2 is what lets you know that they are activated. From what it sounds like, you're good to go.
2017-2-18
Use props
Donnie Stugots
Captain
United States

fanse186c04e Posted at 2017-2-18 13:12
thanks Donnie,

I did that before and no good reception .

Vince , Besides the weather , what else did you change to go from 800 meters 3+kilometers in range ? Just wondering if any of my suggestions made any difference or was it just weather related ?
donnie
2017-2-19
Use props
Blackwood
Second Officer

United States

Ever since getting our I2, I've had issues with bad signals from time to time.  One day I could flying at a location with no issues and the next day at the very same location, I'd have no signal on either 2.4 or 5.8.  I discovered that if I shut down the app in most cases, it would come back up with a prefect signal.  In extreme cases, rebooting the iPad would do the trick.  Twice I've had a situation where I had a good signal before launch but after getting off the ground, I'd get a bad video signal warning and lose connection to the aircraft.  From that point it was a fight to get it back on the ground because I had intermittent control and the RTH did not respond.  After eventually landing and restarting the app, everything was fine.  Flew a 20 minute mission with no problems.
2017-2-20
Use props
Donnie Stugots
Captain
United States

Blackwood Posted at 2017-2-20 14:37
Ever since getting our I2, I've had issues with bad signals from time to time.  One day I could flying at a location with no issues and the next day at the very same location, I'd have no signal on either 2.4 or 5.8.  I discovered that if I shut down the app in most cases, it would come back up with a prefect signal.  In extreme cases, rebooting the iPad would do the trick.  Twice I've had a situation where I had a good signal before launch but after getting off the ground, I'd get a bad video signal warning and lose connection to the aircraft.  From that point it was a fight to get it back on the ground because I had intermittent control and the RTH did not respond.  After eventually landing and restarting the app, everything was fine.  Flew a 20 minute mission with no problems.

Blackwood , What version of I pad ?  More than likely a I pad Mini ( guess ). Also please read post # 23 and #24  ( covers AC orientation , makes big difference ) of mine for a couple of tips , that have helped me .
Make sure NO other app is running in the backround as well, the GO app sucks up a ton of power.  The  I  pad pros or airs I have seen very little video problems with . The Minis as well will work perfectly for some  and others have issues, the only think I can think of  is there are 3 different transmitters out there that some say have different power Output ( Many will contest this )  this may be why one person has no issues with there  i pad Mini and others do .  ( this was on the Inspire 1 anyway )
Of course you video issues may have nothing to do with the I pad, but the resetting  to get perfect siganl tells me otherwise .  

One other thing for the USA users, go to custom mode on image transmission and go to channel 20, this  channel does not compete with any wi fi signals.  ( directly ) Also slide the Image Bit rate to a lower setting if you need more distance , I set mine at the lowest setting  and get very good results . Please, just give it a try .
5.8 will give much less range  and quality than 2.4 also ,  the lower the spectrum the (ghz) better the signal   ( In most cases )  If 2.4 is super crowded then go to 5.8 of course
try that  custom channel 20 and see what you think.

How far before you are loosing signal 800  yards or 80 yards ?   You should be getting great  range and signal  quality with the I2,  AC orientation and Transmitter orientation are critical for signal over say 100 yards distance  ( varies with environment ) less than that range and I can block my transmitter with a wall and still have signal ( dont try this example  only )
let me know
Not sure if you do indeed have the I pad mini but here is a good reply I recently received;

"We have now undertaken some test with an iPad min2 and a iPad air 2.
Since upgrading from 1.8 to 1.9 and then 1.10 we where always losing live video feed so over the weekend we replaced our iPad mini 2s with iPad air (same price as a iPad mini 4 and its a little
bit faster and a bigger screen) we now have a good feed on both controllers, ...."

Those with the I pad minis I cant explain it , I just know that getting the air or pro works, It may be like  I said, diffeernt power output on the RC, different environment , but seems to clear things up .  I have been wrong  and it did not fixt the members problem......ONCE ... and accused of working for apple to sell there high end products........nothing could be furthere from the truth .

donnie

2017-2-21
Use props
Blackwood
Second Officer

United States

Donnie Stugots Posted at 2017-2-21 05:35
Blackwood , What version of I pad ?  More than likely a I pad Mini ( guess ). Also please read post # 23 and #24  ( covers AC orientation , makes big difference ) of mine for a couple of tips , that have helped me .
Make sure NO other app is running in the backround as well, the GO app sucks up a ton of power.  The  I  pad pros or airs I have seen very little video problems with . The Minis as well will work perfectly for some  and others have issues, the only think I can think of  is there are 3 different transmitters out there that some say have different power Output ( Many will contest this )  this may be why one person has no issues with there  i pad Mini and others do .  ( this was on the Inspire 1 anyway )
Of course you video issues may have nothing to do with the I pad, but the resetting  to get perfect siganl tells me otherwise .  

Hey Donnie, thanks for the reply.  However I am using an iPad Air and I'm very familiar with angles and whatnot.  I've been flying Phantoms for a couple of years now (and never had a single transmission issue).  As far as distance, you asked if I had a problem at 800 yards or 80 yards, actual neither.  I have issues within 3 to 15 feet.  Sometimes I can't get off the ground and other times I get 15 feet off the ground and all hell breaks loose.  However, once I restart the app or in some cases reboot the iPad, I can fly as far as I want without a problem.  The only difference is the app restart.
2017-2-21
Use props
Donnie Stugots
Captain
United States

Blackwood Posted at 2017-2-21 07:24
Hey Donnie, thanks for the reply.  However I am using an iPad Air and I'm very familiar with angles and whatnot.  I've been flying Phantoms for a couple of years now (and never had a single transmission issue).  As far as distance, you asked if I had a problem at 800 yards or 80 yards, actual neither.  I have issues within 3 to 15 feet.  Sometimes I can't get off the ground and other times I get 15 feet off the ground and all hell breaks loose.  However, once I restart the app or in some cases reboot the iPad, I can fly as far as I want without a problem.  The only difference is the app restart.

Ok, that is really bad , I think something is terribly wrong with your system.....somewhere !!  ( captain Obvious speaking )   I would do and RC re link for starters then take it to another location to see if it acts up .  Also perhaps try another I pad if you can , If it does not clear up I would be exchanging you I2 or sending In for repair. ( after testing Othere I pads etc. )   Do yo notice the HD signal bars dropping and then you loose video ?  If so then definitely in the DJI system , If you have 5 bars and still loose video then I would suspect the I pad .  

Check the antennas on the RC and AC and see if they may be bad On the RC espescailly .( doubt it but chack anyway )   The part that I don't get it the I pad re set .  Yes to try another I pad  if you can , If you are near East Lansing Michigan , you can borrow mine !!
Also delete and re install the go app , simple and may help .  sync files first .

Good luck and let me know what you find out
try custom channel 20 too !!
*** YOU dont hav Litchi on your sytem do you ?  Or another app on  your system ( i pad )  for waypoints etc ?  wonder if that could cause it ...

donnie

2017-2-21
Use props
joejoe
lvl.3
Flight distance : 194003 ft
Germany

Are you talking about video signal or about the remote signal here?

I don´t even know how to change frequency of the remote on my android pad. I can only find Work Frequency in the Image Transmission Settings :\
2017-2-21
Use props
12Next >
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules