AIRMAP and HOVER apps
2009 13 2017-2-16
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Bullflyer
lvl.4

Spain

AIRMAP: In this app, we can see Airports areas, restricted areas and aircontroled areas.
On the top you receive green, yellow or red advises. It depends were you are ( I'm the red dot ). There is a "light" weather information.
This app is mainly to know if in the area you are, it is safe to fly or not.
I do not consider meteorological information very accurate

HOVER: In this app, you have varied information about the state of the atmosphere, as well as the area where we are. In the photo you can see an alert at the top, because I am in an area of influence of an airport. Other important values are the wind and the index Kp, which indicates the geomagnetic storms ( I consider this information very important). And also the weather forecast.
There are more work possibilities within this app.

HOVER

HOVER

AIRMAP

AIRMAP
2017-2-16
Use props
zerubeusy
lvl.2
Flight distance : 108547 ft

United Kingdom

thx for the share
2017-2-16
Use props
JayOne
lvl.2
United States

I always wonder which one is the better one to use.. and right now currently I'm using the airmap...
2017-2-16
Use props
Bullflyer
lvl.4

Spain

JayOne Posted at 2017-2-16 07:12
I always wonder which one is the better one to use.. and right now currently I'm using the airmap...

Do not forget to know the existing Kp index when you go flying
2017-2-16
Use props
Mark The Droner
First Officer
Flight distance : 2917 ft
United States

This has been discussed many many times.  It's been determined that Kp index, sun spots, solar flares, etc, have zero influence on our Phantoms.  It's a good theory, and it makes perfect sense, but it doesn't pan out in reality.  You can make technical arguments until the cows come home, but those who have flown for years know for certain that the Kp index doesn't effect Phantoms in any way, shape, or form.  

IMO airmap is a better app than hover.  Hover tends to miss some TFRs which can cause big problems.  

For weather, I like uavforecast and windytv.

Hope this helps.  

2017-2-16
Use props
Bullflyer
lvl.4

Spain

Mark The Droner Posted at 2017-2-16 08:49
This has been discussed many many times.  It's been determined that Kp index, sun spots, solar flares, etc, have zero influence on our Phantoms.  It's a good theory, and it makes perfect sense, but it doesn't pan out in reality.  You can make technical arguments until the cows come home, but those who have flown for years know for certain that the Kp index doesn't effect Phantoms in any way, shape, or form.  

IMO airmap is a better app than hover.  Hover tends to miss some TFRs which can cause big problems.  

The K-index quantifies disturbances in the horizontal component of earth's magnetic field.During a major geomagnetic storm, GPS signals from the satellite to our Phantom GPS receivers get bent by the increased electron density, which increases the path length and introduces position errors. The disturbed ionosphere can also cause degraded signal-to-noise problems, meaning your receiver may loose lock on one or more birds. Also, the bending of signals can also cause "phase slips," which can also cause the receiver to temporarily loosen the GPS, taking a few seconds to relock on the satellite.
Scientific experiments done during strong geomagnetic storms show the bending of the path length to cause about 30M (100 foot) errors in position at mid-latitudes (like the US / Europe and Australia), and slightly worse near the equator.If you think that this information does not affect the positioning system of the Phantom, it is your opinion, but in commercial aviation when operating with inertial systems and other navigation systems, this value can affect the precision of the instruments. This is why navigation systems are self-corrected, based on other data from other instruments.
I do not think this happens in the system that the Phantom use.

2017-2-16
Use props
Mark The Droner
First Officer
United States

My technical opinion as a noob would be that it should be of great concern, but my experience and that of others says it is not.

Pick some of these threads at random and read what experienced Phantom pilots have to say about the Kp index and its effect on their Phantoms:

http://www.phantompilots.com/sea ... p+index&o=relevance

Hope this helps.
2017-2-16
Use props
Alyn Walsh
lvl.2
Flight distance : 91407 ft
Ireland

Mark The Droner Posted at 2017-2-16 09:41
My opinion is it should be of great concern, but my experience and that of others says it is not.

Pick some of these threads at random and read what experienced Phantom pilots have to say about the Kp index and its effect on Phantoms:

Hi Guys,

Could someone kindly supply a link for the Airmap app?   

Thanks in advance.
2017-2-16
Use props
Mark The Droner
First Officer
United States

For the web:  

www.app.airmap.io
2017-2-16
Use props
Alyn Walsh
lvl.2
Flight distance : 91407 ft
Ireland

Mark The Droner Posted at 2017-2-16 10:47
For the web:  

www.app.airmap.io

Enormous Thanks.

2017-2-16
Use props
fansaa3da6c4
lvl.3
Flight distance : 347507 ft
United States

There's also Altitude Angel.Altitude Angel
2017-2-16
Use props
Nebuchadnezzar
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 3462946 ft
  • >>>
Spain

Thanks Malagueño
2018-1-26
Use props
RMJovo
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1716240 ft
United States

I use airmap in the US to inform flight operations of my flight plans in controlled airspace, what I like about it is airmap sends a text with the phone numbers I have to call notifying the flight controller of my activity in the controlled airspace which I have to do by US law. (Flying within 5 miles of a airport in Class D airspace)
2018-1-26
Use props
Steve Og
lvl.3
Flight distance : 938258 ft
United States

Looks to me that Hover shows a distance radius around airports for hobby fliers and Airmap shows airspace designations (in the planning module) for part 107 pilots. Both are good for what they are.  Personally, I prefer to pay $100/yr for Foreflight because of the extraordinary map features: sectionals, airport data, robust airspace designations, excellent weather, and user map overlays to name a few.
2018-1-26
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules